Thatcham Court Care Home, Thatcham, Berkshire

Thatcham Court offers care for residents with dementia, employing a highly-trained team that welcomes both short and long-term stays. Carers are experienced in respite, convalescence and palliative provision.

Situated in the centre of Thatcham, the home offers en-suite bedrooms in which residents have flat screen televisions and under-floor heating. The home’s interior has been decorated to suit individuals with dementia, being colour themed and including memory triggers.

Individual diet needs and preference is included in the food menu, with mealtimes being an important part of the day.

Activities are organised to make sure residents are always physically and mentally stimulated, including reminiscence sessions, exercise sessions and music classes.

Person in charge: Tammy New (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Berkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Thatcham Court Care Home: click here

8.5 Thatcham Court Care Home has a Review Score of 8.5 (8.498)

The Review Score of 8.5 (maximum of 10) for Thatcham Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 6 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Thatcham Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.1 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.415 for Thatcham Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (41 Excellents x 5) + (15 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 65 Ratings = 4.415

The 4.083 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Thatcham Court Care Home is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 12 Target = 0.333

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Thatcham Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Thatcham Court Care Home

From the initial assessment at my mother's home to her period of respite stay at Thatcham Court the staff were courteous, respectful and communicated with me during my holiday to reassure me all was well during my absence. Such caring, devoted and personable staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Thatcham Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Thatcham Court Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your review. It is nice to know that even on holiday, you were informed how things were so that you could enjoy your holiday. The Bupa customer care team.

We have visited our friend on several occasions and always found the staff friendly and helpful as well as having cups of tea offered. Our friend's room is spacious and very tastefully decorated and furnished.
On the last occasion, supper was served in her own room. As she is registered blind this was quite difficult for as she didn't know what she was eating. Would it be more appropriate to eat in the dining room with the others and staff on hand?

How likely would you be to recommend Thatcham Court Care Home? Likely

Tom Meyer, Customer Service Administrator at Thatcham Court Care Home responded to this review on 20 Mar 2017:

We're thankful for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will pass on your concerns.

My wife has very advanced dementia and is unable to do anything for herself. The staff are excellent at working out what she wants and looking after her every need. They treat her with dignity and compassion.

How likely would you be to recommend Thatcham Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Thatcham Court Care Home responded to this review on 17 Mar 2017:

Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback with us, it is very appreciated. I am so pleased you are happy with the care your wife is receiving and that our staff are supporting her so well. I will share your comments with the home manager. Best wishes, The Bupa Customer Care Team.

All the staff are always accommodating, professional and caring. If we have any concerns the staff and especially the seniors, sort out any issues for us so we always leave with peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend Thatcham Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your lovely feedback, I will pass on your comments to the home manager. I am so pleased that you are happy with our staff at Thatcham Court. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My grandma has been here since last year but I have to say its in the past few months that I have seen it really improve. The management know what they are talking about- unlike the last two; who never seemed to be in at the home!!
The staff are motivated and really have brought my grandma out of her shell- she is enjoying life again; which for us as a family is wonderful. There is always staff about to talk to and everyone seems to want to help you - I cannot describe the changes recently.

My mum popped in today and saw the home was being redecorated - not cream either!! Hurrah, it's looking like a home. The staff told her that it's the new manager which has got this all happening- well fantastic I say! And about time. BUPA - take note, don't lose this manager or her deputy- they are both great.
Things are going from strength to strength in there. We can breathe easy as a family now.
Thank you to the managers and all at Thatcham Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Thatcham Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Thatcham Court Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

Although I have recommended this home in the past, I wouldn’t recommend it at the moment. My mother is still a resident there but it’s completely understaffed and has been for several months. They now seem to rely on agency staff, if and when they can get them!

How likely would you be to recommend Thatcham Court Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Care / Support: Poor

Food & Drink: Very Poor

Management: Poor

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Thatcham Court Care Home responded to this review on 25 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your review. Your comments are extremely important to us and our residents’ health and wellbeing is our absolute priority. We will discuss your feedback with the home’s manager to help them continually improve their service

Submit a Review for Thatcham Court Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

Tammy

Tammy New

I started working at Thatcham Court in August 2008 as a care assistant. I soon made my way to senior care assistant and then to care team leader, where I ran the residential unit for three and a half years. During this time I completed training with the Alzheimer’s society and became a Dementia Champion – delivering person first dementia second training and ensuring our residents receive high quality care. I then completed training with Bradford University to become a person first coach.

I was then promoted to deputy manager and held this post for just over three years before I was then given the opportunity to move to another Bupa home to become the home manager.

During this time I developed my skills and completed my NVQ 5 in leadership and management. I stayed in this role for just over two years, and was then offered to return to Thatcham Court as home manager, I jumped at the chance as it felt like I was returning home.

Thatcham Court has an outstanding team of specialists, who are all trained in working with people living with Dementia. They all go the extra mile to ensure their residents are happy. Thatcham Court is one big family and everyone will welcome every person that walks through our door.

Jo

Jo Dercznska

Job Title: Clinical Services Manager

I am the Clinical Services Manager at Thatcham Court. I have been a qualified nurse since 1988 and started my career in Oncology, Rheumatology and as a ward sister on an elderly care ward.

I then worked in the community from 1996 – 2008 as a Marie Curie nurse followed by a break from nursing to pursue a career as an artist, this then led onto a path of teaching in offender learning as well as primary and secondary education.

I then returned to nursing which led to working in A & E and into district nursing. Then realising that I needed a new challenge, this is when I found Thatcham Court. As soon as I walked into the building I instantly knew this was the place I wanted to work. The team were friendly and inviting and I found the Manager's philosophy the same as mine – a focus on holistic and individualised care, and the residents at the heart of everything we do.

On my days off I can be found galloping around the country or in my studio painting. I am also a qualified personal trainer and kettle bell instructor and recently completed the Spartan Trifecta and was placed 10th in my class.

I love working at Thatcham Court and we pride ourselves on our homely, friendly feel.

Pete

Pete Tilling

Job Title: Senior Activities Coordinator

I have been in the caring profession for eight years with a brief period in retail, I then decided that I needed more and a more fulfilling job and this then led me to Thatcham Court where I became a care assistant. I worked as a care assistant for around two and a half years and was then promoted to senior care assistant.

Whilst I enjoyed the role as senior care assistant I decided that my skills lay better within the activity field. I have always been artistic with a love of crafts, photography etc, and with my acquired senior carer knowledge and skills I felt that I was in a very good position to take on the role of activities coordinator as soon as such a vacancy appeared.

I very soon progressed to senior activities coordinator. I feel I made the correcet decision as since being part of the activities team I have brought stimulation to our residents and they, in turn, have broaden my ideas and creativity to bring them an enriched experience within the home and to also build on our links within the community.

Thatcham Court is more then just a care home, we are one big family.

Denise

Denise Rusell

Job Title: Care Team Leader

Joined: 2010

I was born in London in 1962 and I started my career venturing into several different areas but never felt I achieved job satisfaction until I started in social care.

Around twenty years ago I started my career while raising my children, as the children got older I had more time to give to my work life. I have worked for North Devon Social Services and West Berkshire Social Services Community Care, which I really enjoyed and met some amazing people.

Just over seven years ago I joined the team at Thatcham Court and haven’t looked back since. The team at Thatcham are friendly, welcoming and well trained; we aim to give high quality care not only for our residents, for their relatives too when they need us.

Nikki

Nikki Hancock

Job Title: Care Team Leader

Joined: 2012

I started working at Thatcham Court in Aug 2014. Before I came to Thatcham Court I was working at Tesco and although I enjoyed my job I felt that I needed more and something more fulfilling. This is when I came to Thatcham court as a care assistant.

After working as a care assistant for one and a half years, and developing my skills, I was then promoted to senior care assistant and remained in this role for around a further one and a half years before being promoted to care team leader. During this time I have completed my medication management level two, NVQ 2 and I am just about to complete my level 3. I am also the wound care champion for the home.

I like working at Thatcham Court because we have a close knit team who always support each other. My job is very rewarding and I love coming to work.

Andy

Andy Murphy

Job Title: Chef Manager

Joined: 2007

I left school at 16 years old and became a trainee chef for an electrical company under the supervision of a ex-Army chef. I then progressed from here in different roles; television and film location catering, deputy manager at Kingston Hospital in the catering department and sous chef at air products head office. I then became chef manager in a nursing home.

I then opted for a change in career and went into security for a short while but my heart and passion was in cooking and I this is when I joined a Bupa care home care in Fleet for around two years. I then transferred to Thatcham Court in January 2017.

At Thatcham Court we pride ourselves on our home made food and always trying new things and new ways in meeting all our residents needs.

I enjoy working at Thatcham Court because it's a nice home, with nice people and an outstanding team with a friendly, family atmosphere.

Amanda

Amanda Smith

Job Title: Financial Administrator

Joined: 2015

I am the Financial Administrator at Thatcham Court. I had always been interested in working as a secretary so, when I first started work in the manufacturing business, joining a company on a YTS scheme this was as a secretarial assistant. I stayed at the same place, doing a variety of different roles, until I was made redundant.

Shortly after joining a new company, as a wages clerk, I became pregnant with my first child and did not return to work on a full time basis until both my children were at school. This was when my career in the care sector really began, as I joined a company as an administrator for the domiciliary team, before helping out with some care in the community. My last role was a deputy manager, which I didn’t enjoy so after much consideration I decided to leave and worked at another manufacturing company, in the accounts department.

However my passion for working in the care sector did not diminish so when the opportunity arose to join Thatcham Court, as a financial administrator, I was only too happy to apply and was delighted to be accepted.

I have now been working at Thatcham Court for just over two years and love being part of the amazing team that works here.

Bev

Bev Lyford

Job Title: Receptionist

Joined: 2016

I was born in Reading in 1965 and I am the youngest of three but have lived in Thatcham all my life.

My first job after leaving school was as an office junior for a large firm of solicitors in Newbury. It was whilst working there I met my husband whom I married in 1985. I left the solicitors after a couple of years to gain experience in other non legal environments. I discovered though I preferred working for a law practice and joined a firm in Thatcham as a full time legal secretary but then, after the birth of my son, I worked part time as a receptionist/secretary. I worked at this firm for almost 30 years until it had to close in 2015.

I started working at Bupa Thatcham Court in June 2016 as a part time receptionist. I absolutely love my job which is down to the wonderful residents who live here. Thatcham Court is a really warm, caring, fun loving home where no two days are the same.

Julie

Julie Beeny

Job Title: Receptionist

Joined: 2014

I have been working at Thatcham Court for just over three years.

For the previous twenty years I have had senior reception/admin positions in two prominent, local health related establishments. My links with the Thatcham Court community are therefore strong and even within Thatcham Court, I often meet those I have known and befriended in my last positions, or have known in my thirty eight years of living here.

I also have strong links with Thatcham Court itself, my father-in-law was a resident here for over two years and his care was exemplary.

Thatcham Court has a strong family feel to it and this makes for a close team with caring for each other and our residents at it's heart.

I came to Thatcham Court with the hope that I would feel fulfilled and rewarded in my role and that I could possibly give more than had been possible in previous (NHS) positions and I have not been disappointed.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Thatcham Court Care Home