St Michael's Care, Westgate-on-Sea, Kent

St. Michael's is a nursing home situated in Westgate-on-Sea, just a few miles away from the seaside resort of Margate in Kent.

The home is located in a quiet, secluded residential area, surrounded by an acre of gardens, close to the sea and overlooking the nearby golf course.

The nursing home provides its residents with a warm, inviting space in which to be cared for. Staff uphold traditional values of care and intertwine them with modern practices and technology.

St. Michael's offers single occupancy accommodation, spacious and comfortable rooms, with the option of en-suite facilities.

All food is homemade and nutritionally balanced with menus varied to suit clients' needs and likes.

Staff understand that people will always want time to themselves. With more communal and private space than most other homes, it's easy to find a quiet spot to watch the birds in the garden or simply catch up on the papers.

And when you want to socialise, there is a network of friends, carers and entertainers on site.

Owner: Charing Lodge Ltd

Person in charge: Jacqueline Osborn (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kent County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 65 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Nursing Care Single £1000 – £1250 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact St Michael's Care to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

St. Michaels welcomes visitors at anytime, however it's asked if visiting after 8pm you call first.

Parking is available in the car park and street.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Michael's Care: click here

9.4 St Michael's Care has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.391)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for St Michael's Care is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Michael's Care in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.699 for St Michael's Care is calculated as follows: ( (125 Excellents x 5) + (33 Goods x 4) + (7 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 166 Ratings = 4.699

The 4.692 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Michael's Care is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13 positive Reviews (65 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 13 Target = 0.692

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Michael's Care?

Reviewer Connection to St Michael's Care

• Father-in-law of Resident/Service User

I placed the most precious person to me in your care my mother. I was so worried no one could look after her like me! you all proved me wrong, the care you all provided was the best any one could wish for to me your all angels I just cannot thank you all enough for what you did at the time when my mother needed the special tender care at the end of her life.[. BLESS YOU, ALL.]
WHAT A FANTASTIC TEAM YOU ALL ARE

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

These are quotes from a letter I sent to St Michael's Care last week after my mother aged 103 died after having spent 6 years in the home.
"You have allowed and enjoyed mum expressing her personality, she has felt totally at home, she felt at ease with whoever was with her she has been able to express her thoughts and views as you made her feel "at home" with all of you."
"Thank you for enjoying her, encouraging her to do her washing, enjoying her moans and laughing and joking with her. You helped all of us understand the needs of the elderly."
"She constantly said how happy she was with all of you. We could go on and on and that is your strength. We will miss her, you will miss her but her memory is there for all of us."

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

I would like to comment on this wonderful home on behalf of my family.
My dear brother was admitted to the home in May suffering with terminal cancer. Obviously a very sad, difficult time for everyone but from the day he arrived he settled in and relaxed. He was treated with kindness and understanding and all the staff, nursing and care assistants were wonderful.
My brother had severe learning disabilities and so wasn't able to communicate fully with the staff but they went out of their way to get to know him and to understand his needs. They respected his dignity and privacy at all times and made sure he was comfortable and cared for.
As the family, we were always made so very welcome, anytime day or night.
The home itself is a beautiful building which has been well looked after and is clean and welcoming. The rooms are lovely, with character and very good facilities.
The gardens are beautiful.
Thank you to everyone who helped and cared for my dear brother so well.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

My father-in-law was admitted to St Michael's Care in April 2017. He had very complex and sometimes very difficult needs but our worries soon evaporated with the professionalism and kindness of all the staff. Not only did the staff care for him with respect and dignity they also reassured and involved us with every step of his care and forward planning. I cannot stress enough the kindness and patience shown by the staff. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

First initial contact is extremely important. I arrived unannounced close to lunch time and was greeted courteously. I asked if the home had any vacant rooms for my 97 year old mother and would it be possible to show me the room/s and other resident areas. I was politely advised that the duty nurse was just finishing a task and would dutifully assist my request shortly. I was asked if would like a cup of tea or coffee while waiting - an excellent welcome I thought. When the duty nurse appeared and after formal introduction, I was shown around the home and the different areas i.e. dining, lounge and garden etc. I was shown rooms that might be suit my mother should we elect to place her in St Michael's Care.
I asked several pertinent questions some were the number of staff on duty at night, frequency of staff training i.e. H & S, COSH, Fire Prevention etc. very satisfied.
My mother, now passed away, was happy and comfortable and was diligently cared for by the excellent staff. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

I am very impressed with the level of care my husband is receiving. He arrived from a previous care home and was rather neglected. He is now being cared for and it is the best it can be. I can now relax and not worry. The staff are friendly and professional.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

My husband had been at St Michael's Care, nursing home for six months. In all the months he was there, I found the nurses and carers very kind, caring and professional.
I was thoroughly impressed with the standard of care provided by everyone.
Towards the end of my husband's life, not only were they looking after my husband with dignity and kindness but they were supporting me as well.
My big thank you to everyone a St Michael's care.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

My step mother was admitted to St Michael's after a 10-week spell in the Hospital. She had previously been in a residential home.
We were very anxious as one hears such horror stories about some nursing homes, but our fears were soon put to rest. From the reception staff to the cleaners, carers and nurses they are, without exception, wonderful. Sadly she was very frail when she arrived and was only there for six weeks before she passed away. The care she received for the last part of her life was, without a doubt, the best she could have received anywhere. Our heartfelt thanks to all concerned.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

Mum has been there two years after stroke in 2012. My mother was really active before her stroke. I never wanted to put my mum in a nursing home, but being disabled myself doing all we could as a family at home. First few years caring for her at home we had no option in the end and put her in a nursing home. She needed 24 hr care. Has taken a few changes to find the right one, but we have finally found it. Carers are really good with her and concerns you may have. The manager is really helpful. There are always problems when relatives adapt to living in a nursing home big change for them. Staff and management have done best to make mum feel at home. Problems fixed no problem, they are used to caring for the elderly they now, want works best for the peace of mind of our loved ones, advise, help make decisions. Makes loved one's worries go away. Daily cleaning happy in their environment my mother is happy there & calls it home dining room, tv lounge garden party's entertainment. Good food living room seafront is so close. beach cafe ice cream, pub high street

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

My mum had been at St Michael's for just over two years. We found the carers/nurses and other staff very kind and helpful throughout her stay. She very sadly recently passed away and everyone was so kind to us which is why we are completing this review to say a "Big thank you" once again to them all. My mum was very much loved and cared for always.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

We have always been happy with the care that my brother has received at St Michaels. The staff from management down to nurses, carers, and domestic staff all take an interest in the well-being of my brother. He always seems content, warm and comfortable. He also enjoys the food at St Michaels. We hear so many horror stories these days about badly run care home that we often reflect how lucky my brother is to be at St Michaels.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

During the two years I have been visiting I have found most of the staff including the nurses to be friendly and helpful. I have noticed on numerous occasions how short staffed the home can be. In spite of that, the staff tend to work it out amongst themselves. There is rarely tension between them. Everybody is well cared for and treated with immense dignity. Only on very few occasions have I heard the staff short tempered. I find that very impressive. Cleanliness is good. The rooms are shabby, the carpets equally so. The bedding is dreadful, old, discoloured, mismatched and ill-fitting. The food is exceptionally good. It is always served hot and well presented. Compliments to the chef. My friend's clothes are always clean but she sometimes smells of urine. Short staffed, I would blame for that. I must add that the positive comments far outweigh the negative ones. I am very happy with the love and care my friend receives. It pleases me that she is very fond of the staff.

Rooms: Poor

Mark Tansley, Director at St Michael's Care responded to this review on 02 Sep 2016:

We welcome the comments provided and would highlight that since the purchase of St Michaels Care by Arcus Capital LTD in April 2016, there has been a number of changes implemented to improve both the quality of care and the resident's facilities. In July 2016 we started on a 12 month refurbishment program of all the bedrooms, communal lounges and dining rooms at St Michaels, which will included a replacement of all bed linen and towels etc. In addition to improving the quality of the facilities at St Michaels, we have also expanded the team with the recruitment of a new activities organiser to improve the quality of life for our residents, plus a reception team. We believe this, along with our commitment to regular reviews of care and nurse staffing levels, will ensure that the quality of care remains high at St Michaels and that we continue to build on the “Good” rating provided by CQC earlier in 2016.”

On the whole, the majority of the staff and care workers are cheerful and respectful when dealing with residents.
It is apparent that at times particularly at weekends there is a shortage of care staff.
St Michael's Care always looks clean and well presented.
I would rate the all round assessment as high.

How likely would you be to recommend St Michael's Care? Extremely Likely

We are very content with this care home. All of the staff are kind and caring people. The atmosphere is also very good. We can talk about anything to anybody. Thank you!! All in all, nothing to complain about regarding your services!! 10 out of 10!!

Submit a Review for St Michael's Care

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for St Michael's Care

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Michael's Care