Avon Court Care Home

St Francis Avenue, Rowden Hill, Chippenham SN15 2SE

Avon Court offers a wide range of care, including nursing and residential, as well as dementia and palliative care. A team of highly trained nurses and carers are dedicated to ensuring that all care provided suits the needs of the individual.

This home has spacious communal rooms, including a sensory room and reminiscence area, a choice of lounges and a conservatory. All the bedrooms have en-suite facilities.

Residents are provided with a balanced diet and all meals are prepared daily using only fresh produce. A range of lighter options and snacks are always available. In order to keep mind and body stimulated, the home has a popular activities programme, which includes gentle exercise, quizzes and sing-a-longs as well as outings to the local garden centre and shopping centre.

Person in charge: Linda Watts (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 60 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Avon Court Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Avon Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 27 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Avon Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.438 for Avon Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (173 Excellents x 5) + (110 Goods x 4) + (34 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 317 Ratings = 4.438

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Avon Court Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12 positive Reviews (60 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 12 Target Reached = 1

9.4 Avon Court Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.438) from 27 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Avon Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Avon Court Care Home

• Relative of Resident/Service User

I attended Avon Court's open day and thoroughly enjoyed it. All the residents and visitors seemed to be having a jolly time. It was good to see the Morris dancers. Also, I was pleased to be able to do a line dance at the morning 'sing-along'. It brought back happy memories.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

We are so pleased with how mum is being cared for at Avon Court. She was very poorly when she arrived but with the wonderful care of the staff, she has improved beyond belief. The staff are unfailingly cheerful, positive and kind. We were very lucky to get Mum in Avon Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been staying here as part of her recovery. She seems very well in herself, has gained much-needed weight and seems happy. The carers and staff I have encountered have all been professional, very caring and very attentive. Thank you to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Great care and help for my Auntie.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy at Avon Court. I would recommend it to anyone. Staff helpful. Nice menu. I like to look out of windows, seeing people come and go. If I need assistance the staff will help.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at Avon Court Care Home for over two years and the care she has received has been consistently excellent. The staff are kind, friendly and welcoming. Care is taken to ensure that residents are able to participate in activities to the level that they choose, both group and one-to-one. The home always feels clean and well maintained and the food is excellent and well presented, with individual preferences catered for. Staff are respectful and always anxious to be responsive and helpful. I rate the rooms as good rather than excellent only because they are on the small side. I base my views on having visited on most days for over two years and would have no reservations in recommending Avon Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

As a relative and regular visitor of the resident, we personally feel the bedrooms are somewhat cramped. The conservatory doesn't appear to be big enough for the number of residents you have and their visitors. Car parking is sometimes a problem and not enough spaces. Activities are excellent for those who can participate fully. We are not able to comment on value for money as we are not involved in this aspect.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 09 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your review and feedback. We encourage our Residents to personalise their rooms with personal possessions, so they feel more at home. The conservatory area can get busy when we have an entertainer, however, there are many other lounges and seating areas for our Residents and their families to enjoy. The car park is regularly checked by staff to ensure only visitors to the home are using the spaces.

We have found all the staff very friendly and helpful and nothing seems too much trouble. our friend took quite a while to settle in, but now she seems quite happy and content and she loves the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother spent a month at Avon Court after injuring her shoulder in a fall at home.
The staff immediately made her feel welcome and safe.
Their cheerfulness and warmth kept her spirits high and she is sorry to be leaving.
The staff were also extremely helpful and supportive to me, always having time for my questions.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 21 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that your mum enjoyed her stay with us and is now fit and well. Maybe she would like to come and stay for some respite at some time. I hope we see her again.

Quite satisfactory.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 18 Jul 2017:

Although this has been a short respite visit, I feel I have been well looked after and all my needs have been dealt with very satisfactorily.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Mum was placed in Avon Court after a fall at her home. I cannot express enough how mum is being looked after enough. The staff are very helpful and nothing is too much trouble. They are very caring and friendly. A happy bunch. Mum loves it at Avon Court. The service is wonderful. The food is excellent, the entertainment is great. Mum is really happy there. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the home to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that your mum is so happy and settled and that you have peace knowing that she is looked after so well.

I had the best care during my stay here. The staff are just great.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 14 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your review. Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us

After my father spending some three months in hospital a care home had to be found for him, after contacting Bupa in our area they suggested Avon Court. After the initial phone call, an assessment in the hospital was made and father was accepted. After a tour of the home by myself we agreed and he was moved to Avon Court. The home is a lovely relaxing place and management and staff are brilliant. So if you are in need of a home for a relative look no further!

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Simone Berkeley, Customer Service Advisor at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 31 May 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The Bupa Customer Care Team.

I came here to aid my recovery from a broken pelvis so that I could become sufficiently mobile to return home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 19 Apr 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

The home is friendly and warm. I feel comfortable and well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Jayne duck, Customer servicies administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 08 Feb 2017:

The care my Uncle had over two years was amazing. He was clean and tidy. The room was clean. The staff, always friendly, helpful, always had time to talk if you needed to and I know they were busy. Activities were good and family always welcome. My uncle had a lovely time.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer servicies administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 09 Feb 2017:

They looked after my Nan. She had such good support and care whilst she was here. Our whole family go the support as well.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

My brother was transferred to Avon Court from hospital for end of life care. He was 59 years old and had cancer. He died on the 2nd of November during early hours (5.25).
The care was kind and sensitive and on the evening before/early hours of the morning and the actual day/morning staff were very supportive. The same nurses were on duty and were excellent.
I was called both nights to ensure he was not without family. My mother had been a resident previously until her death, which was when I went to ask the assistant manager if they could possibly take my brother because I knew the standard of care was so good.
I have recommended the home to other people, both for permanent and respite care. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

So sorry to hear of your loss please accept our condolences. Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.
The Bupa Customer Care Team

My wife is generally well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer service administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 24 Jan 2017:

At the age of 88, my father suffered a major stroke in February 2008 which left him completely paralysed down one side with very limited communication. Although not expected to survive more than a couple of months, Dad was moved to Avon Court in March 2008 and is still going strong. Because of his age, the effects of his stroke are permanent but he is nevertheless happily settled at Avon Court. Dad spends a great deal of time in his bed (because he wants to) and in the whole of his eight years at Avon Court has never suffered a single bedsore - which I think says a lot. Dad's communications skills are still extremely limited but all the staff are very kind, caring and patient and will stay with him until they understand his needs. I visit him three times a week but if ever a problem arises, Avon Court will always ring me immediately to discuss a way forward.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 25 Nov 2016:

The care my father has been given is absolutely superb. All the staff are fantastic as nothing is too much troub.e. As far as I am aware, my father is very happy here and I must thank everyone from the bottom of my heart. Very best regards.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 14 Nov 2016:

Writing a review isn't something I would normally do, but on this occasion, I have felt it is very deserving. My grandmother came to this care home from the hospital after having a fall, I guess we were expecting a similar care to the hospital but instead we were blown away with the care, the time to talk, the reassurance of aftercare we would get. The staff and cleanliness are 1st class. All the staff smile and put you at ease. An all around excellent experience.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Both mum and dad are residents, dad is 98 and blind. All the carers help him find his way around, he enjoys all the pampering and finds all his meals very tasty and varied, always something taking place, from talks, music, singing and general chit-chat.

Mum is in nursing dementia section. She is always given great care and her needs are looked after, help with her feeding etc. Special attention given to her needs for soft food (pureed) and drinking. Lots of love and care from nurses, carers and kitchen/laundry staff. Absolutely amazing home.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 16 Sep 2016:

We have moved my mother to Avon Court, after 6 years in a Care Home in Kent. She is now closer to us and we can visit on a regular basis. My experience is limited to these two homes. Bear in mind that the first home was 150 miles distant, therefore visits were not frequent and my experience limited.
Mum is now over 100 years old and, having been independent, until 94, now has limited movement and therefore requires assistance for every physical activity. I am able to see at close hand how she is cared for and her response to her situation. I see my mother each day at least once, though sometimes it may only be for a few minutes.

The equipment for my mothers needs is superior along with the cleanliness and security of the home.
Although mum does not wish to take part in activities, she is allowed to participate passively on a daily basis.
Mum is taken, most days, to the dining rooms at mealtimes. There she can feed herself thus providing a feeling of normality.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 01 Aug 2016:

Overall my mother's care has been very good. The staff are very friendly and kind. The only issue is sometimes after pressing the call bell, staff take a while to respond.

How likely would you be to recommend Avon Court Care Home? Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at Avon Court Care Home responded to this review on 18 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home's manager to ensure response time is improved. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My husband is a resident at Avon Court. The nursing home is lovely. All staff are very caring. The food is nice. They welcome visitors with a smile. Tea and coffee is always offered. A great home all round.

Submit a Review for Avon Court Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Avon Court Care Home