Dale Park Care Home, Southport, Merseyside

Dale Park Care Home is situated in Southport and provides residential dementia, nursing dementia and respite care.

The home is comprised of several separate living areas which provide a choice of places in which residents can relax, dine or be creative. The pretty garden, which includes a sensory area, is a favourite spot for residents wishing to take some air and enjoy the company of friends and family. It is also frequently used during the warmer weather for events such as BBQ's and Summer Fayres.

All the comfortable bedrooms and living areas are easily accessible by wheelchair.

Chefs at the home take pride in knowing the tastes and preferences of residents and prepare fresh and nutritious meals and can cater for any special dietary requirements.

Person in charge: Malcolm Rugen (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Sefton Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 54 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Alzheimer's • Anorexia/Bulimia/Self Harming • Asperger Syndrome • Autism/ASD • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Drug Dependence (past or present) • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Prader-Willi Syndrome • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Over 65 yers of age. Ages 65+.

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Dale Park Care Home: click here

posted 26 Jan 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9 Dale Park Care Home has a Review Score of 9 (9.044)

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Dale Park Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Dale Park Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.488 for Dale Park Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (152 Excellents x 5) + (72 Goods x 4) + (27 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 252 Ratings = 4.488

The 4.556 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Dale Park Care Home is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.8 positive Reviews (54 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 10.8 Target = 0.556

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Dale Park Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Dale Park Care Home

My husband has been here since July. He has significant communication difficulties and his dementia seems quite aggressive. The staff are fabulous with him, patient and kind whilst providing excellent professional care. He is content and I know he is well looked after both physically and emotionally. He couldn't be in a better place.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Although I am happy with the overall condition of Dale Park Care Home I just feel it could be updated and modernised a bit.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Dale Park Care Home responded to this review on 28 Nov 2017:

Thank you for the feedback on carehome.co.uk, we are pleased to confirm that a refurbishment is due to start in the home over the Christmas period and will take approximately 6 weeks.

My husband was taken into Dale Park as an emergency admission.
He settled in after a period of time once his medication had been sorted.
He has dementia and required one to one, to begin with, but doesn't now and is always clean and the diet is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is lovely. I feel that mum is well looked after and cared for. The home feels welcoming and the staff are all lovely.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

We cannot be more happy with this home my sister is in. It is the only home and now we do not have to worry about her as the staff, management are superb, the food is very good and all homemade cakes too as we have sampled some. My sister loves the activities every day as she says I love the home and also she loves being taken out with everyone. She always looks lovely and clean and loves her baths, her bedroom and the home is spotless. All I can say is thank goodness for Dale Park.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Our family are very happy with the care our sister gets from everyone, she is very happy there and so are we. The care home is well run by management and staff. We could not wish for any care home better than this one our sister is in.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am satisfied with the overall service provided.
However, I feel that there is a serious lack of communication provided by this home.
There have been three managers in the last 12 months and the current and previous manager never bothered to contact me to introduce themselves or approach me in the home.
Also, I am not informed regularly of my mother's health.
Recently I was not informed when she had as fall and was taken to hospital.
I feel that there is a high turnover of staff at Dale Park and I never get to see the same person twice or establish regular contact with members of staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Management: Poor

HC-One, Careline Team at Dale Park Care Home responded to this review on 04 Apr 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.

We note your concern around a lack of communication following an incident with your relative, and communication in general within the home.
Firstly, may I take the opportunity to wish your relative well, I am sorry that you felt let down by communication at the home. We have conducted a full investigation into your concerns and found that on the day of the incident, the staff on duty had telephoned your relative’s documented next of kin. Usually, we would expect that the next of kin would co-ordinate calling around the rest of the family if necessary, this is to enable us to minimise the time taken away from a resident during an emergency. We have now updated your relatives care file, to include two next of kin emergency numbers.

With regard to your concern around communication in general with the manager and a turnover of staffing, I can confirm that we do have a new manager in post. He will be holding a relatives meeting on Thursday 20th April 2017 at 19.00 hours, and invites will be sent out to all relatives. The meeting is advertised around the home, and you are invited to attend this meeting. The manager’s office is situated at the front entrance of Dale Park, so that he is available to meet and greet all our residents and visitors to our home.
At the present time we are recruiting into vacancies at Dale Park, and whilst we are recruiting into those posts, we are being supported by agency staff. We do try to use the same agency so that we are providing continuity of care.

The home manager has an open door policy so please feel free to call in at any time should you have any further concerns at Dale Park.

My mother was only in Dale Park for 13 days before dying, having been transferred from a residential care home because she needed specialist nursing. The care she received was in our view very competent, professional and caring. We had great confidence in all the staff at Dale Park. Being bedridden all the time she did not experience any wider facilities or activities but food, cleanliness and equipment we experienced were all high quality.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have visited Dale Park with my dog - Erik for the last 3 years and always found it an enjoyable experience, staff are excellent with residents and all show a personal touch in all they do.

I wish to mention the manager who let me attend one of their "staff training" sessions, I found so much information about dementia which my mother has, information which I would not be able to learn without the manager letting me attend the course.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father was a resident at Dale Park from January 2013 until his death in October 2016. Throughout that time all the staff, past and present at the care home showed my father and our family love, care, compassion and understanding. We were always made welcome and kept up to date with dad's care and condition. As a family, we are so grateful to Dale Park for all they have done.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

We have been visiting a resident of Dale Park for 3 - 4 years and have continually been impressed by the caring attitude of all the care staff and medical staff who have been so patient when dealing with difficult situations. They have also been very friendly to us, offering us tea or coffee which has been welcome especially as we are not local and have driven for over an hour to visit. I would not hesitate to recommend Dale Park to anyone who needs this type of accommodation.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

I find the staff very pleasant and informative if I have queries about my dad someone is always able to tell me what I want to know. Rooms are cleaned regularly I have never had to complain about my dads care.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

Majority of the staff provide a caring service and work very hard to cater for the differing needs of the residents. One carer in particular is exceptional and nothing is too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Likely

Staff at Dale Park provide fantastic level of care. I believe this comes from the positive attitude of the manager and his management team. My aunt has lived in 4 homes and Dale Park is without a doubt the best by far.
The staff spend an incredible amount of time with my aunt, they provide me with regular updates on my aunts progress and welfare and despite the limitations of my aunts condition, they always treat my aunt with respect, dignity and kindness. I can't praise Dale Park staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife has been in care since May 2015. In that time, except for minor details, I have had no reason to complain about her situation. Staff are caring and attentive. Leadership is excellent and I feel I have every confidence in the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Likely

I found the atmosphere of this care home is warm, friendly and professional. My aunt had been cared for in an exceptional manner and I can't ever thank the staff enough. The food is the best we have seen, choices available and good portions too, as she has a good appetite. The manager always has time to talk to you, no matter how busy he is. He runs a team of like minded people. Thank you all, we feel so lucky to have found you. God bless you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father has been a resident at Dale Park for 11 months now after being in 2 different homes previously. He has severe dementia and can be very aggressive. He has many different health issues also regarding pain, constipation, arthritis, haemochromatosis. Dale Park always meet his needs exceptionally well. The staff are wonderful, the organisation of everything, the care and health needs of all the residents are brilliant. I cannot thank everyone enough for all they do for my father. They do an amazing job and in my opinion for disgraceful pay (this applies to all carers in all homes). All at Dale Park deserve a medal. The food is also very good. They deserve an award, all of them.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My aunt, who is in nursing care at Dale Park, receives over and above tender loving care, for all her needs. We rate the care, hygiene and food here second to none. The manager and his team are all devoted to the care of the residents and cater for everyone's individual needs. It is a pleasant and happy environment, brought about by happy staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband has been here for two years. He has been and is very well cared for. The staff are very caring and extremely helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum is 83 and suffers with Vascular dementia. I can't fault the open, friendly yet very professional approach taken by the manager and his team. The resident is of paramount importance and nothing is too much trouble. We visit at random times on random days and we are always given a warm welcome.
The atmosphere in The Home is terrific, everybody is jolly and there is no need to whisper as there are no secrets or hidden agenda - JUST GENUINE CARE.

That's is all I ask for my mum.

How likely would you be to recommend Dale Park Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife spent 6 weeks respite in Dale Park Care Home. The best thing that happens to her and me I learnt things that I didn't know, I now handle things in a new way. I got first hand help off all the staff and the best manager I could of hoped for, he is so good all the staff are fully trained and treat all the residents like family, its so good just to be there and learn how to treat people. Every part of the home runs so smoothly it was a pleasure to be there everyday I spent there visiting my wife. All my thanks to the staff and to the manager. I would recommend Dale Park Care Home to be the best.

Submit a Review for Dale Park Care Home

November 2012

Malcolm

Malcolm Rugen

Joined: 2016

What does kindness mean to you?
“I believe that kind care means being respectful and actively involving someone in their own care.”

As a Registered Nurse, Malcolm has gained many years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. He is a knowledgeable and committed leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Malcolm joined as Home Manager of Dale Park because he closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. He uses his experience to motivate his team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home. He also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to Dale Park.

When asked what he enjoys most about his role, Malcolm remarked: “I just love any opportunity to spend time with our Residents and seeing them enjoying the social side of life at Dale Park.”

Outside of work, Malcolm enjoys nothing more than participating in motorcycle racing.

If you would like to find out more information about Dale Park, Malcolm has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Dale Park Care Home