Lawton Manor Care Home

Church Lane, Church Lawton, Stoke-on-Trent ST7 3DD

Lawton Manor is a luxury care home, set in two acres of grounds on the Cheshire-Staffordshire border, in the village of Church Lawton. We are close to Alsager and also the lovely National Trust Property Little Morton Hall. Lawton Manor offers residential, nursing, and palliative care.

The home has views over picturesque farmland and rolling country hills as well as the beautiful landscaped garden, tiered fountain, and large patio area.

The home's courtesy vehicle ensures you're within easy reach of all the amenities of Church Lawton.

The majority of bedrooms are en-suite and rooms are not assigned by care type. Instead, they encourage residents to choose the room that’s right for them. The home has a number of wonderful communal spaces, including two dining spaces, lounges, a conservatory, library, cinema room, and games room where they keep the popular Wii console.

Trained chefs provide a daily menu of nutritious, tasty meals, which residents can have in the restaurant-style dining room or their own rooms, whichever they prefer. Special dietary requirements will be catered for.

An activities coordinator plans regular events so everyone is kept busy, though participation is entirely optional. There are daily events in the home as well as regular excursions. Residents and relatives are invited to contribute to the planning sessions, to ensure that everyone desires are being met.

Care workers understand that moving into Lawton Manor will be a considerable transition but one that they try to make feel as easy as possible. By helping you arrange your room just the way you like, or bringing you your daily newspaper, the staff at Lawton Manor do the little things that make the biggest difference.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Nicke Hall (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cheshire East Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 63 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Lawton Manor Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Lawton Manor Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 35 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Lawton Manor Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.6 for Lawton Manor Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (280 Excellents x 5) + (102 Goods x 4) + (22 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 410 Ratings = 4.6

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Lawton Manor Care Home is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 12.6 positive Reviews (63 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 12.6 Target Reached = 1

9.6 Lawton Manor Care Home has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.600) from 35 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Lawton Manor Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Lawton Manor Care Home

Mum was a resident for 2 years. During her stay, she was extremely happy. All the staff were kind and caring and made mum feel special. There were lots of events to look forward to and the entertainment was excellent.
Mum met and befriended some lovely people during her stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

I liked Lawton Manor from the moment I entered the building. The entrance hall is large and bright with comfy sofas and freshly cut flowers. Residents can participate in a wide variety of activities every week if they wish to do so and there are also organised visits to local places of interest. My mother-in-law enjoyed visiting the in-house hairdressers every week and also having her nails polished. I have always found the staff very friendly and caring and willing to sort out any problems that may arise. My mother-in-law was very happy and made many friends there.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

As a family, we would like to thank staff and carers for their dedication of care and friendliness to our dad while he was in 'Lawton Manor' which we are truly grateful for. Thank you for your kindness and professionalism.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum was a resident at Lawton Manor for 1 year. We cannot thank all the staff from the cleaners, laundry workers, carers, nurses to the office and management staff enough for the care they gave to her. They did their best with difficulties sometimes because of low staff numbers. The system used to calculate numbers of staff required is set by a company policy scheme. However, this is not enough. There were times when mum had to wait for care which was unacceptable, not the fault of the staff on duty, it's the fault of the system.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Likely

My wife has been on respite in this establishment for one month and she is happy with the attention and care provided and so am I.
The food is very well presented, tasty and plentiful. The kitchen staff are very patient and caring when serving the residents and great care is taken to ensure that no one is overlooked. The daily entertainments provided are of very high standard and wonderful to see the artists interacting with the residents. A very big thank you to the management and all staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife is receiving excellent care at Lawton Manor. All the staff are pleasant and very caring. They keep me fully informed of my wife's treatment and care and plans for the future.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum's only so far been here for 2 days but she seems to be enjoying it really well.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff are very friendly, attentive and very compassionate. The level of care is excellent. The care home, overall, is excellent with good quality of food and choice.

We are very glad that we chose this place.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

This last week, as with previous respite care, I have found all the staff very kind and caring with my husband.
The home is very clean and the food excellent. Everyone - carers, nurses and office staff are all very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Likely

Very well presented care facility.
Dedicated staff.
Very clean.
Excellent food.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

After a difficult spell in hospital, mum came into Lawton Manor Care Home and her condition improved. We were all very happy with the help and care provided by all the staff right up to the moment she passed and beyond. Many thanks.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

The management and staff could not do enough for us. They were most helpful to our late father and our family. We only asked for something and it was provided. E.g fridge, fan, we felt like we were family every time we visited and updated constantly on our father's illness.
When my father was uncomfortable I asked a member of staff who was going on her break to help she put her food and drink to one side and assisted him. The management and staff are a credit to Brighterkind and I hope the company grows with the kindness and help which was given to our late father.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

My experience at Lawton Manor (whilst I was there for 3 weeks respite care) was very good. At times, I felt unwell and in pain and was glad of the care and support provided by the care staff. I have benefitted from their diligence and their standard of care and their obvious pride in their work. I have been treated with respect, dignity and also good humour (very important). The choice of food has been very good and eating regularly and well has been important. I have felt safe. Maybe the buzzers at night could do with a silencer (small quibble).

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Likely

Mum was admitted to Lawton Manor for end of life care.
At our initial first visit, we, her family were greeted with friendliness and warmth and the running of the establishment and the finance was explained to us clearly and staff made sure the transfer from hospital to Lawton Manor went as smoothly as possible.
On being admitted mum's comfort and safety was of paramount importance. Mum was unable to use the facilities and take part in activities which all seemed to be wide ranging and stimulating but her surroundings were lovely and her end of life care excellent.
On visiting, staff were always available to talk to and mum's family were treated with great sympathy and compassion when she passed away.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have been here for just over 4 months and I am now feeling more at home.
I would like to make a few comments;

1, On the whole the care staff dress, undress and wash me with care. However some staff do not give me enough time. I am 91 years old and blind and cannot be rushed.

2, Meals - I would like a menu, given to me in advance so that I can have time to make my choices. I eat in my room.

3, At what point will I be able to talk to the manager about my care?

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Likely

Nicke Hall, Home Manager at Lawton Manor Care Home responded to this review on 12 May 2017:

Thank you for your comments. We always welcome feedback as we strive to continually improve our care. At brighterkind, we believe that care should focus on understanding what quality of life means for everyone here, and then provide the right experiences to help our residents live their life to the fullest. With that in mind, I am pleased that I have now been able to sit with you to discuss any issues that you may have. I have also advised that we hold monthly resident and relative meetings, where any issues or concerns, no matter how big or small, can be raised. I am glad that your concerns have now been resolved and you know that I operate an open door policy and that I am always available to speak to.

My mum spent 10 weeks in Lawton Manor Care Home and was very happy there. She was always treated with great respect and dignity despite her challenging health problems. All the staff were friendly and helpful both to mum and the family. After her first night there, she commented "I think I shall enjoy living here", and I can honestly say she did. In her last days, the nursing care was superb. We couldn't have found a better home for her. Heartfelt thanks to all who made it special for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Granny was a resident here for 6 years. She had a brilliant relationship with the staff and was extremely happy here. As her family, we felt like we were part of the home too. The care she received was fantastic, and the nurses were always on hand to discuss concerns. I have two young children who were welcome in Lawton Manor Care Home and there was always a small room or outdoor space to use if we did not want to be in the main lounge. There are lots of social activities and we enjoyed going on trips with my Granny. Aspects of the home such as the hairdressers and going to church meant she was able to carry on with "normal" life.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Upon arrival, my nan was treated with the utmost care and dignity. Nothing was too much trouble for staff, they looked after her every need. When she became end of life not only was she cared for with compassion but so were we as her family. Staff went above and beyond for us making sure we were supported through a tough time.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

During my nan's stay she was treated with the utmost respect, dignity and genuine care. Staff were excellent providing care, support and information to us all. We can't thank you all enough from the minute she arrived right to the end everything was fantastic.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

During my nan's stay, the staff always made sure they treated her with the utmost respect and dignity. Nothing was ever too much trouble and they always go out of their way to make sure she was happy, comfortable and generally looked after. The family always felt welcome when visiting.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mum spent nearly six years in Lawton Manor and was very happy there. The staff loved her and she kept them amused. They were willing to do almost anything for her and treated her very well. She received the best care from everyone. She enjoyed the activities and especially enjoyed going out. The activities staff are excellent providing a wide range of activities. The staff were welcoming and friendly and always ready to help. I was always able to talk to the nurses when I had questions about her health or arrangements for taking her out for special occasions. I went to many coffee mornings and supper evenings and the food was always excellent. The facilities are excellent with many lounges. If we wanted to take Mum out of the activities for some family time there was always a room available. The dining room has small tables with tablecloths and flowers giving it a homely atmosphere. When Mum passed away the staff were excellent, offering us support and breaking the news sensitively.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

On entry to Lawton Manor Care Home, we got the feeling immediately of warmth, homeliness and I knew that my friend would be well looked after. I would like to thank all of the staff very much for all the care that she received. Also, the visitors were made very welcome and part of your happy family.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lawton Manor Nursing home was my mother's final home where she spent her final weeks of life before passing peacefully in her comfortable room there on 31/12/16. She moved into the home due to suffering from Motor Neurone as my three sisters and I were not longer able to meet her needs, which were challenging daily.
The staff were caring, compassionate and supportive making her feel valued and dignified. In those few short weeks, we also felt very 'at home' and thankful for the care mum received with love and compassion.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

We never tired of visiting our dear mum in her welcoming spacious light-filled room at Lawton Manor Care Home. The welcoming smiles of all staff, carers and nurses, cosy private nooks to sit together, or play word games. Family and friends welcomed at all times. The carers and nurses are earth's angels. All the teams from maintenance, laundry, housekeeping and activities went the extra mile to make mum feel at home and support us all in the final hours of her gracious peaceful passing.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home is lovely and very clean... a credit to the cleaners, but it lacks general organisation in the care. My father is hoisted for the toilet. At least twice during his weeks stay he waited over an hour for the toilet. There is a target response time of six mins but staff cancel the call saying they will be a few mins locating the hoist and not return for an hour. He had meals in the room. Often there was no choice and one egg was so overdone that it pretty much shattered when he tried to break it.

I took cutlery with him, but when I saw him, cutlery he was given was bent for someone else making it impossible to use. He took his TV and DVD player which was in his room when I left him but was later removed and left in a public room, and the remote was taken for safekeeping by staff who knew whose it was. I don't understand why it wasn't returned to him prompting a question about the TV.

A lovely home for the able bodied but I would not recommend it for someone who is not mobile.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Unlikely

Nicke Hall, Leadership & Care Support Manager at Lawton Manor Care Home responded to this review on 09 Jan 2017:

Thank you for your comments, we welcome all feedback that will help us continue to improve our care services.

We are really sorry that you have not been satisfied with all aspects of our care at Lawton Manor and we’d like to try and pick up on some of the points you have raised, and address these before your relative's next stay with us.

We have recently made some changes to our catering service to enhance our resident dining experience and have introduced a new autumn/winter menu offering a choice of appetizing and nutritionally balanced meals. We seek regular feedback from residents about the choices of meals that are served and this helps us to plan our menus. If a resident does not like the dish they have ordered, we will always try to provide an alternative that is more to their liking. Mealtimes at Lawton Manor are an enjoyable, social event.

We are really sorry about the television incident mentioned, however we trust this has now been resolved with your family member and the television was in fact taken home. If you feel as though you would like to discuss this further or anything else at all, please do not hesitate to contact our home at customercare@brighterkind.com or pop in anytime.

Many thanks, Nicke Hall, Leadership & Care Support Manager at Lawton Manor.

My father was looked after for the last three years passing away peacefully in his sleep on the 29th September.
He was admitted after hospitalisation with urinary problems but it became apparent that progressive vascular dementia meant he could no longer look after himself, although he required little in the way of nursing care till the later stages he was extremely well looked after. I think the staff developed a lovely relationship with my father and were very sad at his passing.
I would recommend Lawton Manor Care Home without reservation.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care home and the staff were wonderful. It was a very caring place with lovely, honest and compassionate people. I have no complaints at all. Only the highest praise. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

A good measure of any care home is whether the resident is happy there. Of course, my mother was upset at having to give up her house, but the kindness of the staff, the comfortable surroundings and the friendliness of the residents soon allowed her to settle.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

We were first shown the home by the House Manager in July/August 2002. She was extremely approachable and informative with a very friendly, warm manner. Whenever we visited the home the staff were very pleasant and helpful. They cared for our aunt well.

We only saw the previous care manager on one occasion which we felt was poor. The only time we saw the new care manager was about 2-3 weeks before our Aunt died and this was not a good experience. I wrote to the Regional Support Manager but to date have had no reply.
This issue was however dealt with the House Manager. Our Aunt died in the home 1/1/2016. The nursing and care staff showed great compassion.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Julie Anderson, Home Manager at Lawton Manor Care Home responded to this review on 01 Apr 2016:

I would like to apologise to the family if they feel that they didn’t see me enough. I try to have an open door policy and offer relatives and residents meetings when I arrived at the home and on regular basis after that. I try to accommodate all relatives, as some work during the day, by having a ‘drop in’ manager’s surgery first Tuesday of every month till 7pm. I do appreciate that this isn't always suitable and will try to offer an alternative.

Relatives can discuss any concerns they may have directly to me. I understand that at the difficult time with your loved one these options may not have been suitable and I am pleased that our house manager was able to support you at your time of need, again please accept my sincere apology to you and your family members. Your feedback has been most welcomed.

Dad was a resident of Lawton Manor for almost 12 months before he passed away in Feb 2016. He settled quite well and the staff were always very good to him and did their best to support him and his needs. His room was lovely and spacious with good facilities. He was treated with dignity and the care he received at the end of his life was wonderful, enabling dad to be as comfortable as possible. We have the highest praise for all the staff who looked after him at a very difficult time for him and all the family. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very pleasant, very welcoming. Noticed how caring the staff were and how hard working everyone is. The entertainment was superb and really nice to see all the residents taking part. Lovely refreshments and best sponge we have had.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care my mum has received since she had to move into a care home has been very good. She is always kept clean and warm. The staff are friendly and cheerful always having a smile and caring word for mum and ourselves when we visit. The food is plentiful, warm and appropriate for mums needs. Mum really enjoys watching the activities, unfortunately she is unable to participate but takes part in her own way. We are never made to feel in the way or that staff do not have time to answer any queries we have.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have primary progressive MS and as a result of gout in my wrist was unable to transfer from my wheelchair. I was admitted to Lawton Manor to a crisis intervention funded bed, recommended by my GP. I received excellent care from all members of staff without exception. The nursing and care staff were most professional and provided their help kindly and with consideration for my personal dignity.
The meals were of a high quality and served in a friendly manner and the laundry staff should pride in the service they provided. The activities were varied, and visitors were made welcome with a room where refreshments were avalaible. Overall I will recall my time in Lawton Manor with gratitude for all the help I recieved to improve my condition and enable me to return home.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lawton Manor is an excellent centre for respite for my husband, while he is in there it helps me to relax without any worry, knowing that he is treated so well by all the staff and care workers. He and his clothes always return home fresh and clean. I would recommend Lawton Manor to everybody needing care in first class accommodation.

How likely would you be to recommend Lawton Manor Care Home? Extremely Likely

Generally excellent. Until recently a privately run home, now one of a major group (Brighterkind). Although the scores below are not particularly high, the overall effect is such that Lawton Manor is probably as good as they get.

Submit a Review for Lawton Manor Care Home

Recipient: brighterkind

June 2017

Recipient: brighterkind

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Lawton Manor Care Home