St Oswald's House

12 Golborne Road, Winwick, Warrington WA2 8SZ

St Oswald's House is a Victorian property that has been converted into a modern care accommodation, retaining much of its original charm through supporting skilled care techniques. Residential, nursing, respite, and palliative care are all available from St Oswald's, with the service having proven effective in assisting with an extensive range of personal needs.

Carers regularly update care packages to keep on top of any developments, with residents also enjoying scenic surroundings, mature gardens and a summer house. The home was first registered in 1987 and consists of a two storey Victorian building and a single storey extension. All rooms are single occupancy and eighteen are equipped with en-suite facilities. It is set in its own grounds in the residential area of Winwick in Warrington. Car parking is available at the front of the premises.

Food is prepared by trained chefs on site, giving residents a range of nutritional and tasty options from a varied daily menu. Special dietary requirements will be catered for.

The home has dedicated activities and recreation staff who oversee a regular programme of events to keep all residents engaged. This will involve daily activities in the home, regular excursions, and special one-off events. Residents and their families are encouraged to participate in planning this programme, to ensure that there is something for everyone.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Maria Percival (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Warrington Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 41 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Situated off the A573, Winwick on Golborne Road - Next to St Oswald's Village Church.

Opening Visiting

Onsite parking available

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on St Oswald's House: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for St Oswald's House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for St Oswald's House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5.0 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.783 for St Oswald's House is calculated as follows: ( (134 Excellents x 5) + (29 Goods x 4) + (2 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 166 Ratings = 4.783

The 4.976 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for St Oswald's House is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.2 positive Reviews (41 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 8.2 Target = 0.976

9.8 St Oswald's House has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.759) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend St Oswald's House?

Reviewer Connection to St Oswald's House

My mum is a resident at St Oswald's Care Home and my main worry before she had to go into a care home was that she would be happy and well cared for. You hear lots of stories in the press which give bad press to care homes but I can honestly say that the care that my mum receives on a daily basis from all the staff at St Oswald's is excellent. They are very caring and nothing is too much trouble. The welcoming I receive as a visitor is always friendly. The activities provided for the residents are great particularly the family bingo and the recent quiz night. The residents love it when they have singers visiting and I think this is my mum's favourite past time. It’s lovely to see the residents happy and singing along. Well done St Oswald's keep up the good work.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

Even though my mother was only in St Oswald's House for a short time before she sadly passed away, I could not have asked for better support or surroundings for her in the latter days of her life. My mother had been in another home previously and even though I would class this as very good, the staff/support and surroundings at St Oswald's House took care to a whole new level of excellence. Not only did they take excellent care of my mother but the care and support they gave to the whole family both during her time in the home and after her passing were excellent and I cannot thank them enough for everything they did for mum and the family.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

Both myself and husband are very happy how mum/ mother-in-law has settled into St Oswald's so quickly. The staff are always polite to everyone and are always happy to help in any way they can. It has a homely feeling when you are there. There is always something going on each day for residents to be involved in if they wish to do so. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. We had looked at another care home before this but it didn't have that homely feeling St Oswald's has. Just a massive thank to all staff as when we leave after visiting we know mum is being well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

I’m very happy with the care my dad receives at St Oswald's House I can honestly say when I leave him to go home I am not worried about leaving him. All of the staff are very pleasant and have always got time for you even though they are very busy, and have always got time for the residents at all times.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

I feel the service you supply to my mother is very good. I live in Sweden so I don’t see her as much as I would like but when I do she is always happy clean and fresh and eats well. Thank you for the care you give her.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

My mum in law has lived here two weeks but settled down very quickly. She says the staff are very kind and caring. She is much less anxious now and looks well cared for. We looked at several homes but St Oswald's is the most welcoming and more homely than the others. I would highly recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

Having been a carer for 20 years I have seen some terrible situations and treatment of vulnerable people. St Oswald's is a fantastic place. Each member of staff we encountered was polite, professional, respectful, extremely competent and took the time to get to know Dad. Not only that, they took the time with his family too. Dad was not a good patient and was at times extremely grumpy and yet the staff learned very quickly how to deal with him and took his grumpiness in their stride.

From the reception staff to cleaners, to chef and kitchen staff. Nurses, or care support staff, we were made to feel welcome, and cared for as well. It’s the little things that count. All the staff make a huge difference. Usually, it’s a very small amount of staff in any role that go that extra yard. I would have no qualms recommending St Oswald's to anyone.. and wouldn’t hesitate to go in there myself when the time comes. All of my family are truly grateful to all staff involved with Dad in any way.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

I always disagreed with nursing homes but no alternative but to place mum here. The lead nurse/manager reassured me 100%. I can't begin to explain how everyone has been I could write for ages. Mum was treated like a queen the carers were amazing with all her needs. The nurses, laundry girls, cleaners, everyone welcomed mum and me from day one. Sadly 6 weeks ago mum was on end of life and sadly passed away on 15 August. Too many names to mention but the dignity for mum and me was amazing. They let me become my mums daughter in her last few months and that is priceless. This home and staff should be recognised.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

My aunt has been a resident at St. Oswald's for 2 months. The care she has received since the day she went in, has been excellent. The attention to every detail is superb. I cannot praise each and every member of staff enough, for the care, kindness and support that my aunt has received. Nothing is too much trouble for any of them. The food is excellent and plentiful. The rooms and communal rooms are extremely clean and very cosy. There are regular activities, and residents can join in if they want to.

The home has a lovely warm, homely feel to it. Residents are encouraged to make their rooms their own and have them exactly as they want.

Refreshments and cakes are available for visitors, who are made to feel very welcome and are encouraged to come and go whenever they want. Staff are always on hand to support families as well and are always prepared to answer any queries or questions.

I would highly recommend St Oswald's House Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

My mother previously lived in very sheltered accommodation and moved into St. Oswald's after spending Christmas through to end of January in hospital when, due to lack of sufficient staff to attend to her care, she deteriorated from needing morning and evening support by visiting care workers and meals provided to being unable to get out of bed, stand, hold her head up, eat or communicate.
The exemplary care provided by St. Oswalds's staff in 3 months, has restored my mother's ability to get out of bed, stand, walk and eat with reasonable support from care workers who provide her with the care and support she needs regardless of the time or day that she needs care or help.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

I felt very safe and secure at 'St Oswald's House'. the staff are always there to assist you and help with any problems. The food is excellent and there is a good choice. I wouldn't have to think twice about coming again!

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

I had to decide to put my mum into St Oswald's on March 13th 2016 as her health had deteriorated. I had always looked after mum myself, it made me very sad to have to make this decision. The staff at St Oswald's were wonderful to mum and the family although mums stay was short as she passed away on 20th April. Mum had always loved her garden, we were so lucky to get a room south facing with french sliding glass doors with wonderful outlook of the garden.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

My mother-in-law came to St Oswald's in late August, prior to that, she has been in hospital for several months. St Oswald's have made a massive difference. My mother-in-law is very well cared for and that reassures her son and I.
The level of care is exemplary, and given with compassion. For us, we can live our lives and work without the stress we had when my mother-in-law was in hospital. We have come to know the staff well. You have a wonderful team at St Oswald's, please treasure and appreciate them. They are irreplaceable.

How likely would you be to recommend St Oswald's House? Extremely Likely

Overall standard of care and hygiene is very good and accommodation is very pleasant. Varied activities from Bingo to visiting entertainers is organised on a regular basis and always enjoyed by residents. When a resident is totally immobile, waiting for attention can be frustrating though understand one to one care is not always possible. Since catering has been outsourced the quality and presentation of meals has fallen. The newly appointed Care Home manager, I am sure will take action to remedy this situation.

Submit a Review for St Oswald's House

Recipient: brighterkind

June 2017

Recipient: brighterkind

Maria Pervical

Why did you decide to join brighterkind?

I loved the brighterkind values as they perfectly resonate with my own thoughts and feelings on how care should be provided and how we should live each day.

What one thing do you enjoy most about your job?

Making a difference.

Key qualifications and experience:

Level 5 in Leadership and Management

Experience – what is your background?

I started work at the age of 16 in the hotel industry and worked my way up over the years from YTS to reception manager until the age of 26. Whilst the children were small, I had a variety of part-time jobs and attended college to gain the relevant qualifications to become a beautician, hairdresser/ barber and also a florist, before moving into the Healthcare Industry in 2008.

In August 2008 I started working in a care home as a receptionist initially working 3 hours a day, as my hours gradually increased I was promoted to administrator in 2011 then again to deputy manager/ administrator. In 2015 I became registered manager in the same care home where I remained until joining brighterkind as home manager of St Oswalds in July 2017.

I am passionate about…

Making the experience of living in a care home the best it can possibly be… moving to a care home should not be the end of a story, but the first chapter of a new book.

What do you feel is your biggest achievement?

I feel I have accomplished and achieved many things, however, taking part in the brighterkind Wishing Wheels relay with the St Oswalds team was a huge achievement as I hadn’t been on a bike in a number of years. I thought I would only be able to manage 5 miles – I actually managed over 20!

My favourite brighterkind value from our five values of Keep it simple, Do it from the heart, Make every moment matter, Sort it and Choose to be happy, is...

I absolutely love all of the brighterkind values but my favourite is “ Do it from the Heart”

Because…

I feel that what we do really matters and you have to want what is best for your team members, residents and their relatives – if it doesn’t come from the heart, it’s not worth doing.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at St Oswald's House