Dearnevale

Elizabeth Street, Grimethorpe, Barnsley S72 7HZ

Dearnevale is a nurse-led care home located near Barnsley in which can accommodate 42 adults with complex needs.

The home is warm and welcoming, with individualised person-centred care at its core. Care and activity plans are based around the individual, supporting and encouraging service users to feel happy, cared for and fulfilled.

The goal of staff at Dearnevale is to make every day better for the service user. This is achieved by striving for the best possible outcomes for those cared for.

Service users at Dearnevale reside in one of four units - Greenside, Ladywood, Darbyshire and Fuller, each encompassing 10 beds. All four units have an accompanying dining room, nurses station and lounge. Bedrooms can be personalised by decorating according to individual tastes, and every bedroom has an en-suite wet room which is accessible, as well as TV and telephone points.

The team of catering staff put together a daily menu for services users that considers their personal tastes and religious and condition-specific dietary requirements. All meals are healthy, well balanced and enjoyable.

There are plenty of other features that make life as full as possible for service users, including a full-time neuro physiotherapist and therapy assistant, plus a selection of coordinated trips and activities.

Group: Exemplar Health Care Ltd

Person in charge: Helen McGowan (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 42 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Mental Health Condition • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Autism/ASD • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

The home has an open door policy, welcoming friends and family at all times.

If a meeting with the Home Manager is required, please call in advance.

Meal times protected - there will be no answer to phone calls or the door during these times. Please contact the home directly for information on these mealtimes.

Free parking is available on site.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Dearnevale: click here

The Review Score of 9.9 (maximum of 10) for Dearnevale is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 16 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Dearnevale in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.916 for Dearnevale is calculated as follows: ( (175 Excellents x 5) + (16 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 191 Ratings = 4.916

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Dearnevale is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.4 positive Reviews (42 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 8.4 Target Reached = 1

9.9 Dearnevale has a Review Score of 9.9 (9.916) from 16 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Dearnevale?

Reviewer Connection to Dearnevale

• Mother of Resident/Service User

My Son has been coming to Dearnevale on a respite basis, for nine years.
It is a fabulous place, he is happy and content and a part of the Dearnvale family.

The staff are all outstanding, from kitchen staff who deal with various food requests, the cleaning staff keep everything immaculate. All maintenance staff keep everything tip-top.
The care staff and management are simply fabulous, they care for my son and look after all his needs.
Without respite, we would be exhausted all the time, but this gives us a breather to recharge the batteries.
We have had horrendous experiences of previous care facilities, and I sincerely wish they could look at Dearnevale to see how things can and should be done.
My local authorities tried to remove my son from here, but with help and advice from staff he has stayed where he is happy and extremely well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

What a first class care home, both management and staff couldn't do enough for my brother, me and my husband. If all care homes have what Dearnvale has, there would never be any problems. The care is above and beyond anything I have ever seen. The first time in 2 years we can relax. He is safe, happy, content and clean. Thank you all for making my brother's life, a happy home to live in.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

My mum has Huntingdons' Disease and been a resident at Dearnevale Care Home for the past 7 years. No other home can care for my mums' specialist care needs in the excellent way in which Dearnevale cares. All staff, from caretaker and gardener up to the manager, are all genuinely patient care-oriented. Dearnevale genuinely places patients and family members at the heart of what they do. Dearnevale sees patients as individuals, all staff show respect and dignity to patients and their families, so we know that can our loved ones are safe, secure and very well cared for at Dearnevale. Dearnevale is also a place where my mum enjoys being. My mum often tells me about fun activities she has been doing since we last spoke. These fun activities are part of what has kept my mum active, interested and engaged for the past 7 years. I really cannot rate Dearnevale highly enough. The home should be experienced, for all the right reasons, to be believed.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

As a friend of a resident I have visited her at Dearnevale several times including Christmas Day, the attitude of the staff is both friendly and welcoming and it's clear to me she receives first class care.
I'm always made welcome despite how busy the staff are and my friend is treated with respect and dignity all the time. I missed my friend when she moved away but am greatly relieved that she has all the love she needs in her new home.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

I felt anxious and apprehensive when my friend was moving in to Dearnevale. When I made my first visit here, as soon as I walked through the main door, I felt a sense of warmth and comfort. I met many staff, warm and friendly and are clearly very dedicated to their roles and show care and great support towards my friend and other residents. The home is well equipped and the celebration of events is memorable! It is clear that all residents are treated as individuals with their own identity and not just a number. I am grateful.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

My sister has been at the above home for the past six years. She is looked after and loved by all the staff from the managers and all the staff to the maintenance workers. Whenever we visit, we are also made to feel welcome by everybody. It is such a comfort for us as a family to know that she is in the very best of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

My sister has been a resident at Dearnevale for the past 6 years. It is a brilliant place with wonderful staff. They are so good with not just residents but visiting family and friends right from managers down to caretakers my sister loves them all. She is very happy there. It is a long way for us to visit but we rest assured she is very well taken care of.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

Following approximately 30 years in a hospital setting, my brother was transferred to Dearnevale.
His quality of life improved, he has regular physiotherapy and was able to sit in an armchair as his movement and posture was improved.He was more responsive during family visits.
In my opinion, the staff were excellent, they spent time with my brother and nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend Dearnevale to anyone who had a family member with a similar condition.
My brother remained at Dearnvale until his death.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

Everyone from the carers to management and maintenance team everyone is very welcoming and friendly, nothing is too much trouble and all the staff are caring and treat everyone with dignity and respect. They are always there to listen to any worries or concerns and will p ut your mind at ease. My husband will have been at Dearnvale three years in April and I would not let him go anywhere else.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

Very good all-around. They take him shopping and out on trips to different places. He is kept nice and clean and the staff are very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

My boyfriend is a resident of the home. He has been since April 2016 and has progressed slowly with the care and patience of the staff and is treated with dignity and enjoys trips out.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

Mum stayed in several care homes before she came to Dearnevale.
She has Huntington's disease and so it was difficult to establish her specific needs and requirements and the funding to go along with these.
After four months in a hospital psychiatric ward, the NHS granted funding and we were able to place Mum in Dearnevale.
What a difference a place makes.
I can't rate this home highly enough.
Mum went from being bed bound and suicidal to walking, talking and feeding herself, interacting with family and staff and finally getting some joy out of life.
The home is a fabulous set up with great units, facilities and activities.
The rooms are spacious, ensuite and well equipped with comfy lounges and eating areas.
The most important thing about Dearnevale are the people who work there and the care they provide.
Every member of staff from maintenance, cooks, activities, care support, nurses and management, genuinely care for each and every client.
This is a rare thing and I feel so lucky my Mum is part of their family.
I honestly can't recommend this care home enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

I think you would have to go a long way to find a care home to better Dearnevale.
The staff are very caring, dedicated and friendly, and nothing is too much trouble for them, they always make me and my family very welcome when we visit which is every other day.
My husband suffers from Huntington's disease and he has been there five years now and the standard of care he receives is excellent as I know he can be difficult at times, and I can relax knowing that he is as happy there as he can be other than being at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

Very happy with the care my son receives. All the staff are friendly and helpful, the home is very clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

My son has been a service user in Dearnevale for a number of years. He is always treated with respect and dignity. Staff give 101 percent in making sure his needs are met at all times.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Extremely Likely

The staff are always welcoming. My daughter is dressed nicely and ready for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Dearnevale? Likely