Fulford Nursing Home, York, North Yorkshire

Fulford Nursing Home is situated in the heart of Fulford, an attractive area of historic York and has the dual benefit of a quiet, secluded location within easy access of the York’s many wonderful amenities.

As the last family run independent nursing home in York, Fulford Nursing Home can offer everyone the time, care, warmth and friendship necessary to make this a real home from home - a home full of friendship and love.

The Home provides everything residents need in the widest sense; considerate care, a fulfilling life and support for their friends and families. At the heart of the service is 24-hour residential and nursing care from dedicated care staff. Through building enduring relationships with every resident the Home ensures that residents can live their lives the way they choose to.

Fulford Nursing Home has an open door policy and encourages family and friends to visit the home to spend time with their loved ones. There is always a cup of tea, a homemade cake and a warm welcome to all visitors. The home is family run and prides itself on the high quality care it delivers everyday.

Owner: R Hancock

Person in charge: Donna Crockford (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: York City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 28 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Not mental health. Ages 55+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Nepali

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £800 – £800 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £680 – £750 Nursing Care Single £850 – £900 , Nursing Care Shared (per person) £750 – £800 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Fulford Nursing Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

As you travel along Fulford Road turn into Heslington Lane as if you are heading to the university. Fulford Nursing Home is opposite the junior school.

Please call at any time - no appointment is necessary.

Ample parking outside the house on the driveway or on the road.
Please ring ahead if you need assistance, a wheelchair can be provided if required. A disabled parking bay at the front of the house.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Fulford Nursing Home: click here

posted 11 Dec 2017

We currently have one single room available.

9.5 Fulford Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.490)

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Fulford Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 26 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Fulford Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.49 for Fulford Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (169 Excellents x 5) + (98 Goods x 4) + (19 Satisfactorys x 3) + (4 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 290 Ratings = 4.49

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Fulford Nursing Home is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 5.6 positive Reviews (28 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 5.6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Fulford Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Fulford Nursing Home

• Respite Resident/Service User
  • Son-in-law of Resident/Service User

My dad thoroughly enjoyed his time at Fulford Nursing Home. He was well looked after and cared for and in my dad's words "They couldn't do enough for me" All of my dad's needs were met and my dad was very happy during his stay. I would not hesitate to recommend Fulford Nursing Home. Thank you to everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Everything about my care was first class. The staff, accommodation, food and facilities were excellent, as was the cleanliness.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I found everything very good and staff were excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Having been in other nursing homes yours "topped" the list for every area, friendly, caring, excellent food and such a happy atmosphere. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

The staff were very good with nothing being too much trouble. Food is good.

Rooms: Poor

The standard of care was excellent. I felt safe and secure and was treated with dignity by our extremely dedicated staff. I was personally inspired and encouraged by the way the staff cared for me and everyone else in their care throughout their very busy days and night. The management was excellent and as a resident, the whole atmosphere of this nursing home from cleaners, carers and cook was a very happy team who took pride in their work. The home was clean, the bed linen and towels were changed daily. The food was excellent. The extra activities were suitable, very helpful and always positive. A remarkable achievement - considering the demands placed on all the staff on a daily basis and providing a twenty-four-hour service, seven days a week, I felt very fortunate to have been admitted to Fulford Nursing Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

The care they gave me and the service that I had was really great, the staff were lovely and meals really good, it was really excellent. If I had to ever go into a home I would choose this one.
I would thank everyone for my care and I can't thank you enough. Thanks everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

It was unfortunate that during my stay at Fulford Nursing home, there was no hot water in our room. Hence strip washing in 1 inch of lukewarm water. Not a good start to the day.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Facilities: Poor

Elizabeth Hancock, Business Manager at Fulford Nursing Home responded to this review on 26 Jun 2017:

We did have an issue with our hot water which we reported to the CQC and worked with our plumber to resolve. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this caused during your stay.
Sending you our very best wishes, Liz and All at Fulford Nursing Home.

I enjoyed my stay at the Fulford Nursing Home. I felt safe and well looked after. The staff were kind and very obliging and took their time with me as I had problems walking.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Likely

I stayed at Fulford Nursing Home recently for a couple of weeks to recover from an infection. I was very happy indeed about my stay there. Everyone at Fulford was very kind and supportive. The accommodation and food was of a very high standard. I believe that my stay at Fulford helped speed up my recovery, and I would happily recommend it to other people.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

All of the staff were extremely kind and friendly. Help was there if needed - and usually with humour. The food was excellent - my family commented on delicious cakes and tea when they visited too. My family also felt welcome and could ask questions without feeling a nuisance. If a stay was needed in the future, I would not be worried as I now know how good Fulford Nursing Home is.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I found the home to be very well run and would congratulate the owners. The food was always fresh as the chefs on site were very caring and able. The atmosphere was always pleasant and homely, everyone was welcoming and considerate- a very harmonious environment. I thought the surroundings were beautiful, from the gardens which were beautifully tended to the cut flowers in the home. I would recommend this home to anyone needing care.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I have visited Fulford Nursing Home on several occasions, each time staying for the largest part of the day. These visits have taken place over 2 years. Although the building needs a complete make-over, the staff appear to be hard working and caring people. The food is excellent and well prepared by a very experienced chef. On my last visit there appeared to be more activities taking place which I feel was an improvement. Most of the residents appeared relatively happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I was grateful that they took me in at such short notice and let me stay for as long as I did.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Likely

Overall I could not fault Fulford Nursing Home, at times it felt like I was on holiday. Food was good and well cooked, bed was clean and slept fairly good, but all staff from management down were very cheerful and obliging.
My only gripe was that physio therapy was good 'in house' but the back up promised when I got home did not happen. Unfortunately I have been very ill since I came home, I have a serious chest infection which I believe started in Fulford. If the option to go into a nursing home came about (at 84 I still look after myself without care and drive). I would not hesitate to pick Fulford.

Facilities: Poor

Elizabeth Hancock, Business Manager at Fulford Nursing Home responded to this review on 15 Jun 2016:

Dear J
I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I will pass your comments regarding the lack of physio to the community response team who are in charge of services in the community. If you do feel you need some support going forward or just a break and some respite do not hesitate to ring me.
Take care and best wishes
Lizzie and All your friends at Fulford.

We are entirely happy with the life provided for my mother aged 97 at Fulford nursing home. She has been resident there for some six years since becoming non ambulant. Her level of physical need is therefore high requiring hoist transfers from bed to wheelchair, toilet etc. The home's staff do an excellent job under very demanding and difficult circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

From the first contact when I was asked "what can we do to help you?" to my fathers death 6 months later, we were shown nothing but kindness but he entire staff team. At 95 years old, and largely bedridden towards the end of his life, he received excellent nursing and care.
There is a huge feeling of warmth and friendliness as you enter the door. I felt safe leaving my father in their care.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Fulford nursing home is certainly home from home, the staff are always friendly and helpful it's a pleasure to walk into the home. The staff have always gone over and beyond with my mother's care which means so much as we live so far away. Before my mother took up residence in Fulford it was a constant worry, but now she is a permanent resident there I know she has constant care and attention and her quality of life is so much better for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I had no idea that people who looked after the elderly and sick could be so patient. A wonderful feel in this nursing home with a constant sense of humour, under very trying circumstances. As an 83 year old I try to be as little a bother as possible and I have never been so well looked after with an accompanying sense of humour!

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I had a happy and caring experience and would be happy to stay again if the occasion arose.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I was staying for rehab (3 days in the end) Each morning I was brought a bowl of warm water, soap and towel to wash before dressing myself to go down to breakfast. Plenty of choice of food at all meals, choice of two courses (main and dessert) for lunch and tea. Coffee/tea snacks morning/afternoon and supper. Beds made during the day. All of the staff are friendly, courteous and attentive manager came around frequently to check if any other requirements necessary. Duty nurse to issue medicines which are kept in a secure locker in the bedroom. An occupational therapist attended and ensured I had equipment to use at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Likely

Very good care. Home from Home good food would recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent treatment from going into the nursing home to leaving. Everyone was caring and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Everything was kept clean and tidy. Food was also very good. Would like to thank all the staff for the care and help received from everyone while staying with you.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

I enjoyed my stay very much - the staff were so kind and considerate.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

All staff very helpful and caring. Hospital referral.

How likely would you be to recommend Fulford Nursing Home? Likely

Staff are lovely both gentle and kind.

Submit a Review for Fulford Nursing Home

October 2014

Gold Star

Date: Wednesday 22 Oct 2014

August 2014

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Fulford Nursing Home