Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home

Northop Road, Flint CH6 5LH

Rhiwlas is a purpose-built home close to the market town of Flint at the foot hills of Clwyd Range. Professionals provide first-class 24-hour nursing and residential care for residents. Alongside this, they offer expert care for people with Multiple Sclerosis.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focuses on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And their dedication can be seen across the board in cooking, hospitality, organised activities and regular physiotherapy sessions for residents.

Owners think you'll find they're ideally suited to meet your needs now and in the future.

Drop in anytime and see them at their best.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Charlotte Aspinall (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Flintshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 67 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Bulgarian, Welsh, Polish, Slovak

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 24 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.666 for Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (211 Excellents x 5) + (58 Goods x 4) + (16 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 287 Ratings = 4.666

The 4.597 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.4 positive Reviews (67 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 13.4 Target = 0.597

9.3 Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.263) from 24 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home

Following a recent review from social services, general care has improved. Whilst the overall service is good, I do feel that staff require a little more support. New management team providing excellent service. Well done.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home? Likely

Charlotte Aspinall, General Manager at Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home responded to this review on 19 Apr 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to review Rhiwlas, we really appreciate your comments and all feedback will be forwarded onto our team.

The carers and the nursing staff at Rhiwlas are excellent. They make time and effort with the whole family. Nothing is too much bother. The whole environment is warm and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you very much for such a lovely review. We endeavour to deliver an excellent standard of care to our residents and also to their families. I will pass your comments to the team at Rhiwlas who I'm sure will be delighted with your feedback.

I felt I must review Rhiwlas Care Home as things for this Home have changed for the better over the recent months. Staff are very friendly and kind,the new manager is approachable too.Food is appetising and the freshly made cakes in reception are lovely. There is a minibus for trips out.

Charlotte Aspinall at Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home responded to this review on 20 Apr 2018:

Hi Bethany
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Rhiwlas. I will pass all your lovely comment to the team.

I visited an old family friend who is currently residing in Rhiwlas a couple of weeks back and was very pleasantly surprised at the change in atmosphere since I 1st visited last year. On arrival, I could see that visual and cosmetic improvements had taken place both inside and outside the home. The grounds outside were looked a bit neglected last year but now look like a pride is being taken, this continues as you walk into the reception and I was met by a member of staff (who makes a great brew) who was very welcoming and friendly. All the staff I came across seemed very upbeat and looked like they were happy to be at work! I asked what was different and was told that new management has been appointed. I hope that this is going to be an ongoing trend as the home seemed like a different place. My friend who is residing says he is very happy here and tells me he feels like he is at a great hotel! Keep up the great work!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Rhiwlas. We strive to deliver a 1st class service and I am glad you have noted the improvements. The whole team are passionate about what they do, I shall pass on your lovely feedback.

Very helpful staff and friendly nothing is too much trouble, approachable and attentive to residents.

From the cleaning staff to the carers and management. I cannot praise them enough. My father who is a resident calls it his home and puts our mind at rest. This place is wonderful.

My father has been a resident there for over a year and he has been very happy.

I find the staff most helpful in looking after my welfare or comfort.

Generally, I am happy with the service provided but would be much happier if there was more consistency in the delivery of certain services e.g. Room cleaning, bedmaking, staffing levels seem to be poor and the staff are struggling sometimes to answer the call bells. Sometimes washing of white clothing comes back grey and other washing not done properly. e.g trousers ironed on the outside making them shiny.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Diane C Thomas, General Manager at Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home responded to this review on 13 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback we receive is much appreciated and we take every opportunity to learn and improve our services.

In your response to our staffing levels, we work towards a dependency tool that enables me to staff according to our resident needs to receive the appropriate care. We regularly analyse our computerised nurse call system to review response times, and if a call was to take longer to respond to, we would then be able to investigate. However, because all 25 call bells feed into the same system, it may sound as if calls have taken longer to answer if more than one person using the call bell.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you have had with the washing of the white clothing, unfortunately, we did have a problem and as such a new machine has been ordered.
I will arrange to speak with you and your daughter personally in order to ensure your concerns have been rectified to your full satisfaction.

During my time at Rhiwlas, I have been treated politely and kindly. I have found the staff efficient and considerate despite the many calls I make for assistance and help from all quarters. There are many different activities to take part in if you wish and singers and entertainers quite regularly visit. Trips to the Garden Centre, Mills, places of local or historical interest are arranged for those who are able and wish to go. Various craft activities, games, quizzes etc, are also available.

There are no words good enough to describe the care and support of all the staff at this care home. We as a family will be ever indebted to the staff involved in getting my dad secure and safe. The support for him and my family at this sad time goes above and beyond, thanking them all so much and for as long I am able, will highly recommend and praise. Their attitude and support is extremely exceptional and professional. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all so very much.

Grandad is in this care home and the carers are amazing. Nothing is too much trouble.

There are no words to describe how much compassion and support as a family that we have been given by every member of staff at Rhiwlas in Flint. The unit manager and her team have been utterly amazing with the care of us, at a time when we have suffered the tragic loss of our son and as a family, we could no longer care for our dad who was diagnosed with terminal cancer. We will be forever eternally grateful to the management and every team member who have made a difficult time easier.

Staff have been so attentive to dad and to us as a family. We felt truly saved when Rhiwlas took over dad's care.

Much help on arrival from hospital i.e help with unpacking and TV set up. Anything lacking e.g bedside lamp was rectified immediately.
Cheerful welcome from all staff particularly from those who knew me from last year.
Too much food - I can't stop eating it. Delicious cake and puddings.
Good activities and entertainments made me fell included and at home.
All staff - front of house and behind the scenes to be highly congratulated.

Diane C. Thomas, General Manager at Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home responded to this review on 08 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your kind review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us and learning what is important to you and for each of us helps us to understand our uniqueness and how we can support each other well. I will pass on your kind words to all our team members.

The home is very pleasant and good activities. Staff very good but pushed due to low numbers of staff. Service of midday tea etc. very poor and nobody seems to be in charge at the facility, always somebody else.

Diane C. Thomas, General Manager at Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home responded to this review on 02 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your comment and I fully understand your concern in relation to staff attendance within the dining room at meal times. Generally, there is always a staff member in attendance, however, there may be times due to unfortunate circumstances and the unpredictable nature of caring for people there may be an occasion when after the meals are served to the residents in the dining room, it appears to be left unattended for a short period of time. However, since January we have ensured that there is a member of staff at all times in the dining room - staff are allocated by the nurse on duty and I will continue to monitor.

I think the staff do their best but I still think there needs to be a lot more improvements.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home? Likely

Thank you for your review, particularly in relation to the activities which you feel are poor. We encourage all our residents to take part in our many and varied activities, but of course, residents also have a choice whether they wish to attend or not. Therefore we also offer one to one person centred activities for residents who prefer to stay in their bedrooms. We are aware that your father has expressed a great interest in stamp and coin collections and our Activities Coordinator has spent a lot of time with him accessing resources such as printing and laminating pictures of vintage cars, old coinage and old pictures of Vauxhall's where we are aware he worked. Other activities he has recently been involved with is the animal therapy (the dementia dogs, Alpacas and the budgies) which he has enjoyed. Please feel free to visit our website to view the activities that are available or if you feel that you have any other ideas that you feel your father may enjoy, please don’t hesitate in either speaking with me or our activities coordinator.

I was extremely apprehensive when I was told that the hospital could no longer look after my Father and we needed to find a nursing home. I felt my Father deserved better than to end up spending his final days of life in a home.
How wrong I was. All the staff, irrelevant of position have been amazing with the care they have provided for my Father. His care has been beyond reproach and he was undoubtedly the focus of the staff to be exceptionally well cared for.

My dad came here for the last 10 weeks of his life. He has been to a few places during his illness but Rhiwlas Care Home was by far the best. The fun and caring personalities of the staff was the best feature. The choice of room was great, the food was very good, all of the common areas were very nice and it is also in a very accessible location. The staff were very caring and constantly went out of their way to help and assist both dad and his visitors. I will fully recommend this establishment to anyone who asks me about it.

I have always found the care home to meet all the needs my mum needs. The staff are very caring to the residents and welcoming to their relatives, also very approachable regarding day to day care and medical needs. The home is very clean, tidy and homely. The food is good and varied.

The word best to describe Rhiwlas is - welcoming. Welcoming by all the staff and I mean all. Such a happy atmosphere too. The other word is helpfulness by all the staff. If you asked for something e.g. an extra blanket, it was with you in a jiffy, not to mention changing the mattress completely! The only niggle I have concerns the tiny minuet wash basin in my en-suite and no shelf near. I had some difficulty getting my Zimmer near and later balancing on my crutches. Having been in 3 other good care homes in the area I would rate Rhiwlas as excellent all round.

Well appointed home very clean, bright and nicely furnished. daily activities programme and personal services provided at a small cost e.g hairdresser, chiropodist. Staff are friendly and will always make time for a chat about your relative. Any small issues e.g I had a complaint about the laundry service it was dealt with. A varied menu is provided with alternative choices which my relative can choose whether to have a tray sent to her room or go to the dining room.

I have visited Rhiwlas for many years for my friend, I have always found the care home very clean, staff are always excellent. Friendly helpful and caring.

All of the family were concerned that dad/grandad would not like or settle in a nursing home. Rhiwlas has completely allayed our fears, dad loves it! He is always telling us how well he is treated and looked after and we can't believe that he is actually joining in with activities and entertainment and enjoying it. It is lovely to visit him and be greeted with a big smile.

Submit a Review for Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home

posted 09 May 2018

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Rhiwlas Care Home