Hafan y Waun

Waunfawr, Aberystwyth SY23 3AY

Hafan y Waun has been purposely designed so its 90 residential dementia care residents live in a home-from-home with facilities, activities and events for them to enjoy on a daily basis.

The home is part of MHA, who believes in a person-centred approach, regularly updating each individual's care package in order to remain relevant to specific health care needs.

An activities programme adds to service users' enjoyment of this comfortable and homely property, with residents welcome to personalise their own bedrooms.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Ceredigion County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 90 Service Users

Admission Information: Over 65. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Welsh

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Hafan y Waun: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Hafan y Waun is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 24 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hafan y Waun in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.541 for Hafan y Waun is calculated as follows: ( (180 Excellents x 5) + (79 Goods x 4) + (21 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 283 Ratings = 4.541

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hafan y Waun is based on 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 18 positive Reviews (90 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 18 Reviews ÷ 18 Target = 1.000

9.5 Hafan y Waun has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.541) from 24 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hafan y Waun?

Reviewer Connection to Hafan y Waun

• Volunteer

Our experience has been very positive, staff are welcoming and friendly and prepared to listen and take things on board where necessary. Mum receives dignified, safe care in a pleasant environment, delivered by friendly, caring staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 25 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your positive comments about Hafan Y Waun and how you find the staff to be welcoming and friendly. It is always good to read positive feedback about your experiences of the home, and that you would recommend us. I will ensure that the care team receive your comments. All feedback is very much appreciated by all the staff team.

I find the care and carers and all the staff extremely kind and caring at all times and I hope my husband will be able to stay in Hafan-y-Waun long term.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 23 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your feedback. To see that you have rated us excellent overall is a credit to all the staff at the home. We pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of care. Your comments will be fed back to the care team where all positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Care and support/treated with dignity/staff is very much dependent on staff on duty. There are some excellent, understanding and caring staff but there are some that maybe it is not their vocation.
The room my mother was allocated had a hole in the wall, which we were told about, it was filled in a few months later but my mother was told that she would need to move out of the room in order to plaster and finish the work. We feel that this option would be an upheaval and there must be an easier option. The fact that the wall is not perfectly rendered upsets our mother when she has visitors and we have taken to hiding the 'hole'.
When she is well, my mother enjoys the range of activities and joins in when she is able, the staff involved have an excellent rapport and make everyone feel included.
Not quite sure what this comes under but the quality and sizing of the bedding is poor.
My mother would probably appreciate a slice of fresh bread and butter for afternoon tea.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Likely

Karen Stephens, Area Support Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 18 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your recent comments. I am sorry that you feel the overall standard is only satisfactory. This not what we would expect to read about one of our services. I will be asking the Manager to contact you so that you can discuss this further.

Client has been at Hafan y Waun for over 2 years and during that whole time we have noticed that staff never help to clean/wipe their face after meals. This has been pointed out to staff many times. A number of clients at Hafan y Waun are local to us and visitors to these clients have commented to us that their face and hands are not cleaned after meals. Being a professional mechanic this meant he used his hands continuously. He now finds it frustrating with nothing to do all day. He was given stickle bricks but they have now disappeared. Clothes and slippers disappear regularly.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Likely

Karen Stephens, Area Support Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 29 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your comments about the home, I’m sorry this has not been a good experience for you, I will be asking the Manager to contact you so you can discuss this further with her.

Happy with the care my mother is receiving. All staff are very friendly and helpful.
Nursing staff are particularly friendly and there is always a welcome and a friendly/homely atmosphere. They are always happy to talk.
It was very emotional when my mother was admitted - a welcome package for relatives would be useful.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 29 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your lovely comments you made about Hafan Y Waun. It is always good to read positive comments about the care and the friendly welcoming you receive. I will review our process regarding the Welcome pack for relatives.
I will ensure that your comments are fed back to the staff where these are always greatly appreciated.

Hafan y Waun is not only a beautiful, well-designed residence but more importantly, it has a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
I have found the staff extremely supporting, kind and understanding. Whenever I needed help or information it was always freely given.
Although I am very sad that my husband had to leave our home, I now know that he is in a very good place, well looked after and shown lots of kindness.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 28 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your comments about Hafan Y Waun and how it is a beautiful home and it always has the warm and welcoming feel. It’s good to hear that the staff are supporting, kind and understanding and that you would recommend us. I will ensure that your comments are fed back to the team.

On the whole, I am very happy with the facilities but in a welsh speaking area, I feel you should employ more welsh speakers. The other thing I feel there needs to be a room where families can talk without interrupting other residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 16 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your comments about the good facilities we have at Hafan Y Waun. I can confirm that we have 35% of the staff who are able to speak Welsh. I welcome a further discussion with you about this if you wish. There is a quiet lounge on each unit where residents and families can access this at any time.

On every occasion that I visit Hafan y Waun I find that all staff behave very professionally and show a great respect for the residents, who are dealt with friendship and with patience. The wing is always very clean and the entrance is welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 02 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your positive comments about how the staff are extremely friendly, caring and helpful, and that you would highly likely to recommend us. I will ensure that these comments are fed back to the care team where all positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am confident that my mother is well cared for and in safe hands at Hafan y Waun. The staff make great efforts to understand her physical and emotional needs.

The home seems to have good working relationships and medical services.

I feel that most of the carers have a genuine love and concern for my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Whilst my wife has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia they do their best to look after her. I cannot praise them more! The only long-term solution is to find a cure or die.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 19 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments. It is always a hard decision to make when placing your Wife in the care of others, but as you state you cannot praise them enough and this must be very reassuring for you. I will ensure that I will pass this onto the staff who always appreciate positive feedback.

I am very happy at Hafan y Waun. The staff are extremely friendly, caring and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 14 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments, we do appreciate all feedback. It's lovely to hear that the staff are extremely friendly, caring and helpful. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with the team.

All the staff are very helpful always. I am able to discuss my husbands well being.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Hafan Y Waun gives a feeling of 'home from home' feeling. All staff are very warm and welcoming and always approachable if need be. My mum is very happy in the home, which makes me feel I have chosen the right care home. There is plenty of activity and interaction every day which helps bond residents to a 'family and friends' environment. Residents have excellent care and are treated with dignity, and safety and security give me peace of mind. A good idea having a coffee shop and hairdressers which supports things residents had done previously.

Well done to all staff in the running of the home, careers for there care and support including the kitchen staff who serve excellent food and cakes, the gardener for keeping the outside space lovely and full of colour in the summer. and the staff that maintain the cleanliness of the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Hafan y Waun provides an excellent care service in every way for my mother. The staff are fantastic - always very kind, caring and hard working. The atmosphere is very friendly and informal but professional. I am always kept informed as to my mother's medical condition and any alterations in her health. My mother's room is spacious and comfortable and she is able to spend time there or sit with other residents in the day room as she pleases. There are plenty of activities provided and extra services such as a hairdresser, chiropodist etc. I would not hesitate to recommend Hafan y Waun as I feel completely confident that my mother is in a safe environment and being well looked after. Thank you!

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Our relative has been a resident since January 2014. We realise that caring for our loved one is a challenge, but we appreciate the effort that is put in to please her and care for her. We have always found all staff we come into contact with very helpful and caring often going the extra mile to alleviate any concerns we have. As a family, we are very grateful for the continued care and support given.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your lovely feedback about the team at Hafan y Waun.
It is always lovely to hear that the staff are helpful and caring and that you as a family are very grateful for the care that your Mother receives and quoting “staff going the extra mile”. We pride ourselves on delivering a high standard of care. Your comments will be fed back to the team where all positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

My dear, I can't praise enough to say how well this place is for us. My son wants to tell everyone in Wales how wonderful this home is.
This place is purpose built and the staff are just wonderful with my husband.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 02 Nov 2017:

This was a delight to read. Thank you for taking the time to send in your most positive feedback. We will ensure that the staff team are given the feedback that you would so highly recommend this service.

I came with some other volunteers to hold a service in Welsh with the residents. The staff are supportive and having the opportunity to sing hymns in Welsh means a lot to the residents and raises their spirits.
When thanking two of the residents at the end of the last monthly service, they answered with a cheerful smile 'We come because we enjoy'.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 01 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your recommendation regarding our service at Hafan Y Waun. We realise how important the contribution is from all our volunteers, so thank you for your support. It was particularly pleasing to see that being able to offer a service in Welsh means so much to our residents. Thank you for taking the time to send in your positive feedback.

Hafan y Waun is an amazing establishment, nothing but praise for the amount of care and support to not only my mum in her transition from being at home to settling in, but also to us as a family.

Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Mandy Pilcher, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 28 Nov 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to give the team at Hafan y Waun such positive feedback. The team realise how important the early stages of moving into a care home are in ensuring that the transition is as smooth and less stressful as possible so it was delightful to see that they had achieved this with your Mother. We are grateful that you feel well able to recommend this service to others.

I have enjoyed volunteering around genuinely caring and compassionate people who hold incredibly high standards and values.They taught me that the smallest details in daily life are just as important as the basics of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Likely

Karen Hall, Area Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 21 Oct 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to add your positive comments to this review. It is pleasing to see that our staff are able to show that our values which are at the heart of all that we do are so evident in the day to day care and support they provide. The contribution that you do as a volunteer makes further enhancing of the daily life or our residents and for that, we are also very grateful to you and our other volunteers.

Lovely residence. Love my job throughout. Like my boss. Pretty gardens. The staff very sufficient and clean. A lovely picnic spot. Lovely colleagues. Very good management.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Hazel Clements, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 03 Oct 2016:

Thank you for all the help you provide the Home as a Volunteer and also for your positive comments. It is so good to see that you are made to feel part of the team at Hafan y Waun.

Really clean, the staff are really helpful and friendly, nice garden! I enjoy coming to volunteer here each week. nice tea and coffee. The carpet is always nice and clean, very professional throughout, get along well with everybody here.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

It is such a pleasure to see that you feel so at home at Hafan Y Waun. We are proud of the service and are so pleased that you feel so content in our care.

My mother was a resident for three years and towards the end of her life. I acted as a volunteer and was a member of the Amenity Committee. Hafan y Waun was and is the most caring place. My brother and I were always assured our mother was cared for with great dignity and the very best attention. On a very basic level, the home itself is bright, modern and spotlessly clean. The staff throughout are professional, diligent and caring. I cannot thank the staff enough for the three years in which my mother enjoyed the activities provided and loved the garden. In the end, my mother died in a safe secure environment. She was shown great respect and love. I always recommend and commend Hafan y Waun to people in the mid-Wales area.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Hazel Clements, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 27 Sep 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your positive feedback regarding the care and support your Mother received at Hafan y Waun. I would also like to thank you for your personal contribution to the home in giving up your valuable time to be involved in the life or our residents and staff team.

I have already recommended.
Having looked around care homes and talked to many people, the whole experience became very confusing at a stressful time. Our visit and tour around Hafan y Waun was clear and addressed the relevant points regarding the care that could be offered to my father who has dementia, it was decision time and we did. It was a good decision, life-changing for all of us.
Our experience is that what was said is what actually took place ... and more.
Not only is the place clean and smells nice, my father does as well! which was a concern allayed.
The food is excellent and I have tasted it myself.
The staff are very friendly and clearly not only know what they are doing but care for their residents under testing circumstances which I have witnessed.
Given the circumstances that we found ourselves in, all of the immediate family are happy (if you understand my meaning) that my 92-year-old father is having a high level of care in his very difficult time of life.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Karen Hall, Area Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 26 Sep 2016:

It was a delight to read of the positive experience you have had since taking the decision to place to care of your Father in the hands of our staff team at Hafan y Waun. We are proud of how the team can make such a difference, not just to the resident but also their close family. The satisfaction and assurance that your Father is being cared for during this difficult time in his life we know is paramount. We will ensure that the Manager and team are made aware of your gracious comments.

Mum's care has been exemplary not only in practical/practice terms but also in terms of the genuine affection for her among the staff, despite sometimes 'interesting' responses on her part. In more than 6 years of being bed bound the staff have managed to maintain her delicate skin in tact and have done everything for her comfort. I am also delighted that the path to the end of Mum's life has been carefully discussed with us, Mum's family and ensured that she has not been distressed by unsuitable interventions - her dignity and comfort have been ensured at all times. The nursing and care staff and chaplain and volunteers have also been extremely supportive of me and the rest of the family. Thank you very much to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Hafan y Waun? Extremely Likely

Hazel Clement, Home Manager at Hafan y Waun responded to this review on 18 Aug 2015:

We are so pleased to read your wonderful comments and feedback which we will ensure are passed onto the staff, so thank you for taking the time to reply. The staff remember your Mother with fondness and in particular her wonderful singing which she seemed to do all the time.

Submit a Review for Hafan y Waun

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hafan y Waun