Meadowlands Care Home

Abernant Road, Aberdare CF44 0PY

Located within a residential area of Aberdare, Meadowlands Care Home is purpose-built to offer dementia nursing care.

At Meadowlands Care Home, residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have views across the garden.

Chefs at Meadowlands pride themselves on knowing the tastes of residents and prepare a choice of home-cooked, fresh, nutritional meals, catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced home managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Local Authority / Social Services: Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 52 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Drug Dependence (past or present) • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Prader-Willi Syndrome • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Meadowlands Care Home: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Meadowlands Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 33 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Meadowlands Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.457 for Meadowlands Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (231 Excellents x 5) + (111 Goods x 4) + (28 Satisfactorys x 3) + (4 Poors x 2) + (7 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 381 Ratings = 4.457

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Meadowlands Care Home is based on 15 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.4 positive Reviews (52 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 15 Reviews ÷ 10.4 Target Reached = 1

9.5 Meadowlands Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.457) from 33 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Meadowlands Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Meadowlands Care Home

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

My mother had fallen out of bed and dementia had set in ended up in the hospital then transferred to Meadowlands Care Home. I honestly thought mam would die within a week or two as she was that run down. But she was so well looked after at Meadowlands Care Home that she came back to health except for her dementia.

I could walk in to see Mam anytime day or night and her care and the care of the other residents was and is still second to none. Mam lived there from October 2012 and was loved by everyone. I was kept fully informed of the slightest thing such as a skin tear from turning over in bed, so I was confident of her well-being even when I was not there. It was and still is like one big happy family. She died there pain-free and peacefully in her bed.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My experience has always been pleasing, good carers, good food and plenty of entertainment I have no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife hasn't been in residence long but I feel I can put this on paper how friendly everyone is and has been both to my wife and my family and the make you feel comfortable. You can approach every body we have met.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been a resident in Meadowlands for one and a half years. They treat her with dignity and plan her care in an individual way. She is treated with care and love. The staff here are obviously well prepared for all situations. They seem to have a knack for dealing with the residents and can calm any situation which occurs. I am totally confident that my mother has good care 24 hrs a day.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mother went into Meadowlands after a long stay in hospital and 2 other care homes. We were immediately impressed by the improvement to her care regime, she was there for dementia nursing and at last, we had found staff that all knew what that meant and as this moved onto end of life care. I was so impressed with the kindness and love shown to my mother at the end.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

2 years ago, my visits were spent sorting out something just about every week, from dirty nails, dry food in neck cavities, toenails not cut, mums clothes missing, I could go on. Mum passed at the home which is another pantomime. With end of life care put in, you would think it would be a peaceful time but no, my daughter had to go into town to get things for my mum's mouth as not even Vaseline to soothe her dry lips then had to drive 20 miles to get medication. My daughter was there 6 days and nights sitting with mum when she passed and only offered hot food twice and even then one of carers looked like we were pinching it. Tea was plenty they gave us a kettle etc to make it.
There one saving grace in this pantomime who looked and cared for mum like she was her own. This nurse knows and supported us through everything. This is just a part of my complaints. P.s Their favourite phrase for any problem was "I don't know", "I wasn't in" or "I don't know, I'm not looking after her today".

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Meadowlands Care Home responded to this review on 25 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review, we value all feedback received as this helps us to improve our Service where required.

We always strive to offer Kind Care and are disappointed to note that you weren’t satisfied with the level offered to your Mother.

This will help us to put appropriate measures in place to avoid reoccurrences.

Very pleased with the care and patience of all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very pleased with all-round care.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Happy with staff's input to my husband and all residents. Food is excellent and well don to the kitchen staff. I visit twice everyday and I find the staff very friendly and they will inform me of anything I need to know.

Nurses are there constantly and are approachable. Overall very good. One gripe is that I don't like that there is no use of uniforms.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Most staff very good but very slow to contact GP/doctor if problems and same with the medication, it takes some time for the medications to come to the home. Cleanliness of rooms is very poor. Beds wiped down more, rooms very smelly and also meal times could be better and to time.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Clare Sheehan, Care Advisor at Meadowlands Care Home responded to this review on 11 Dec 2017:

Nursing Staff have regular contact with GP’s and will request a visit as soon as concerns with any residents health is reported or observed. On many occasions, medication is prescribed by the on-call GP and they will supply medication during the visit. Meadowlands endeavours to ensure that prescriptions are sent to our Supplier, from the GP and staff will collect if are supplier are unable to deliver quickly. Currently, at Meadowland we have some refurbishment work going on, we have attempted to keep any disruption to the residents as minimal as possible. Housekeeping staff and the Home Manager make daily checks of rooms and bedrooms are cleaned daily to avoid odours arising.

Our father entered Meadowlands in March 2017, suffering from Alzheimer's. We were hoping that we had found a home that could cope with his behavioural and mobility problems. We cannot fault Meadowlands in any aspect of their care.
The staff are kind and motivated, the management professional and involved. As our father's problems increased, they demonstrated the depths of their experience and skills.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife has been with you for nearly 6 years and in all that time, I cannot find fault in any way.

All the staff are first class, their humour, warmth, kindness are beyond reproach.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

It is an excellent home that is all I can tell you.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are always friendly and appear to be very caring.
Access to the building is difficult at the moment as you have to wait to be let in/out.
Some rooms could probably do with updating but they try to keep the residents as comfortable as possible and tend to their needs as promptly as possible.
My mum seems to be happy here and is treated well by the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Meadowlands Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jul 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.

With reference to your comments about access, following a recent security review with local services it was agreed that for the safety of our residents we would no longer be giving relatives the access code, a notice has been displayed to make visitors aware.
We note that you have commented on the décor - the home will shortly be going through a full redecoration.

My sister or I visit most days to feed my mum. Find everyone pleasant and helpful, and very pleased with the care my mum is having.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Likely

Staff always attentive and responsive to residents' needs. Appropriate support and encouragement always available. Pleasant environment with varied activities and occasional external visits and stimulus such as trips and visits. My mother has made noticeable improvement since becoming a resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Likely

I am generally satisfied with the care provided at the home for my mother. However, I do have concerns that there is a constant shortage of staff. This leads to residents not being given the attention they occasionally need and also leads to exhausted, dissatisfied staff. The kitchen provides a wonderful array of food, but I question why there is always too much and therefore lots of waste. I also question if 12-hour shifts get the best from the staff, as it is a challenging and often tedious job, maybe shorter shifts would be better? That said, I commend the activities person as she really loves to spoil and pamper the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Meadowlands Care Home responded to this review on 06 Jul 2017:

You have raised concerns about staffing levels at the home. Please be assured all of our homes meet or exceed the staffing guidelines that are set by our regulators. We are committed to providing Residents with the high quality, kind care they deserve and therefore tailor our staffing levels to ensure we can meet everyone’s individual needs.
HC-One aims to deliver the kindest possible care to all residents, and we know how important it is to provide continuity of care with friendly and familiar staff members to support each resident. We are committed to delivering this vision through recruiting, training and staffing our homes with all permanent HC-One carers and nurses.

Regarding your comment about a waste of food, the chef continually monitors waste; we do offer a wide variety in order to ensure choice and to cater for all residents. Making sure residents have a choice of their favourite foods is really important to us. We record individual preferences to make sure our fresh food menus are created around what they want most.

My mother has been a resident since March this year and I cannot speak more highly about the care and support she has received from all the staff at the home. The staff are so friendly and caring even though they have a very difficult job to do. I am so pleased I chose Meadowlands Care Home for my mother's care.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Good overall care and respect for my mother. Peace of mind for family. If we can't visit we know she'll be fine anyway.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Likely

The staff at Meadowlands were excellent. The care was faultless. We are so grateful to them.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would like to thank all staff for the wonderful care and compassion shown towards my mother who sadly passed away there on 27/12/15. Mam was not there very long having been discharged from a long stay in hospital. However having had a nightmare experience with my late Father some years back in another local place we could rest easy with the standard of care and attention being given here.
Mam had complex needs and issues but everyone did their utmost to look after her and she was treated with great care, compassion and dignity. This helped me greatly despite knowing Mam wouldn't sadly last much longer and she was able to pass away in her room peacefully.
I would be more than happy to recommend Meadowlands and have already done so to others, It is a very difficult job nursing sick elderly and infirm people however the humanity and compassion as well as understanding of needs by staff was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

We found the home via an internet search and met the manager during a visit to Meadowlands. We were very impressed when the manager came to see out mother for assessment and decided to request a bed ASAP! The home is clean and looks well run. We are very happy so far.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Assistance we received from the care home manager excellent.
Care home facilities I found was excellent and I expect my mother to be very well looked after. I would recommend Meadowlands to anyone I feel needs the same care as my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My cousin was at the home for a short period of time but the care was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

In the very short time our cousin was a resident at this home, the care was excellent and of a very high standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I found the home very pleasant. Staff friendly and very professional.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Likely

My dad came to Meadowlands in September from the hospital and he has come on wonderfully, he is more contented and much more happy.
The staff in Meadowslands in Aberdare are wonderful and can't do enough to make my father feel at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

I was asked if mam wanted to go to another home (masonic) but as far as I'm concerned my mam is having good care here at Meadowlands and couldn't have any better. When the one to one care stopped I was a bit anxious but the care is exceptional. If mam has any falls or any concerns I'm contacted immediately even for the slightest thing. Overall I am very happy with all her care. I assume she will live a few more years happy at Meadowlands.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Always a warm welcome from staff, spotlessly clean. My sister's needs are all met. I am very pleased with the care in all areas.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister has resided at the above home for the last 4 years. The staff are excellent nothing is ever too much trouble. This has been such a big help to me and my family especially her daughter knowing that she is being cared for with the utmost respect and dignity. I have no hesitation in recommending Meadowlands Care Home to potential family.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

First visit to home staff were very helpful, they showed me around my father-in-laws room. The nurse answered all questions I put to her and my father-in-law seemed happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Likely

All staff are extremely caring and helpful. Everyone is so friendly.

How likely would you be to recommend Meadowlands Care Home? Extremely Likely

Well looked after. The staff are caring and cheerful.

Submit a Review for Meadowlands Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

Recipient: HC-One

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Meadowlands Care Home