Ty Gwyn Care Home, Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan

Ty Gwyn Care Home, in Penarth, is a forty-five capacity service that boasts state-of-the-art facilities, thanks to a lovingly refurbished interior designed to suit the daily lives of older people with care needs.

Stylish furniture and fittings make for a pleasant interior, great both for relaxing, dining, and for pursuing personal interests and other activities organised by the service.

Care packages are person-centred, with some dual occupancy rooms available for couples.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Vale of Glamorgan Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 45 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Physiotherapy • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Television point in own room

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Ty Gwyn Care Home: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

8.2 Ty Gwyn Care Home has a Review Score of 8.2 (8.239)

The Review Score of 8.2 (maximum of 10) for Ty Gwyn Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 10 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ty Gwyn Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.5 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.767 for Ty Gwyn Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (92 Excellents x 5) + (28 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 120 Ratings = 4.767

The 3.472 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ty Gwyn Care Home is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 9 positive Reviews (45 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 9 Target = 0.222

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Ty Gwyn Care Home

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

My mother has been at Ty Gwyn for approximately two weeks. She has settled fantastically and appears to be thriving in the relaxed, caring environment that the Ty Gwyn staff provide.
Not only have the home and staff made the transition painless for my mum, they have also offered unlimited support to myself and my siblings at a very stressful time.
I cannot speak highly enough of Ty Gwyn and MHA.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emma Watson, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 18 May 2017:

We truly believe that the first few weeks after coming into a care home are vital in ensuring a stress free and comfortable transition for any new resident. We were delighted to see that the staff team at Ty Gwyn have been able to achieve this and given you confidence in the service. Thank you for taking the time to pass on your positive comments.

My mother was at Ty Gwyn for almost 5 years prior to her recent peaceful death. She received care of the highest quality, delivered by superb staff with complete professionalism, empathy and genuine compassion. I do not think Mum could have received better care elsewhere - and I looked at many Homes before deciding that Ty Gwyn was the right place for Mum. I visited nine times a week and always was satisfied that Mum was treated with skill, respect, dignity and affection. I am humbled by the dedication of all the staff - they were doing far more than "just doing their job". Additionally, they were also very supportive to me at times when I needed it, and they will always have my respect and my gratitude.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 25 Apr 2017:

Thank you for taking time out from what must be a very sad time for you and your family, to give such positive feedback to the staff and the service at Ty Gwyn. As a relative who visited and gave such dedication to your loved one, you would have seen all aspects of the home and this makes your comments so meaningful for the staff. We will ensure that the team are aware of your comments.

My wife was a resident at Ty Gwyn for 4 years. Her stay there was very happy.

She enjoyed the food and I have no memory of her complaining about anything during her stay there. I only missed 4 visits in 4 years, she was always presentable when I visited. I enjoyed the company of other residents and that of dedicated staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 02 Dec 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to send in your positive comments regarding our home in Penarth. It was such a pleasure to see that we have consistently been able to provide a high level of care and support over the 4 years you were visiting your wife at the home. Please accept our best wishes on behalf of the team.

My mother receives excellent nursing care and the volunteers and employed helpers provide excellent support and activities. The office staff and manager are receptive to feedback and are always available.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 03 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to send in your feedback. It was so pleasing to see how you feel the care and support is benefitting your Mother. We especially value our volunteer group who enhance the lives of our residents. We will ensure that this feedback is given to the staff team.

Mum at nearly 94 was just showing signs of dementia when she came to Ty Gwyn. We were unaware how it would quickly unfold but Ty Gwyns staff were very patient and cared for her so well, although mum proved to be difficult at times. She experienced very happy times at the home and we are extremely grateful that these were her dignified last days. The staff were amazing.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 27 May 2016:

Your feedback is very valuable to the team at Ty Gwyn. We will ensure that the staff team are made aware of your comments. They will be delighted that you felt that they made her time at the home the best it could have been, in such difficult times.

I am very happy to have Ty Gwyn helping me with my mum who is 97 and has been resident for 12 months. There is a unique approach which keeps everything positive. They have achieved a delicate balance between responsibility and good humour. Problems are dealt with in professional but relaxed way, when they arise. This has reduced the pressure on me and given me the confidence of knowing that this is the right place for my mum to be. I have found this stage of my life very difficult, with a team that gives 110% has given me support. Nothing is too much trouble no matter how difficult it gets.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 24 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about the care and support both you and your Mother are receiving from the staff at Ty Gwyn. We were particularly pleased to see how the staff have demonstrated their empathy and understanding towards you, making this difficult time a little easier for you.

My 92 year old cousin was resident at Ty Gwyn from June 2015 until she passed away on 25th Feb 2016. I was extremely pleased with the care she received as well as the love and professionalism from all the staff. My cousin spent the most happiest times at Ty Gwyn while suffering from Alzheimers/Dementia related physical/mental symptoms. The manager kept us informed at all stages, and we would highly commend her for managing the home. I would 100% recommend to anyone considering a home for their loved ones.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank for our comments. It was so delightful to see that the staff team and especially the Manager had made such a difference to your cousin’s last months whilst at the home. We are truly grateful that you have taken the time to send in your feedback which we will ensure is given to the team.

I cannot thank Ty Gwyn enough for the care, respect, dignity and compassion everyone gave to both Dad and myself for the time he was with you.

The team are exceptional and every contact I had made me feel so informed and welcome a real homely environment with great nursing care and support.

I am very grateful Dad was looked after so well in the final six months of his long and enjoyable life.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding the care and support your Father has received at Ty Gwyn. We will ensure that the staff team also see your comments which are much appreciated. It is always a pleasure to see that the service we aim to provide has meant so much.

My mum is very happy and contented here. Peace of mind to know that she is being treated with dignity which she deserves. The management and staff are very kind and helpful, nothing is too much trouble, Very caring and first class attention when it involves mums personal hygiene. I would recommend Ty Gwyn as a first class nursing home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ty Gwyn Care Home? Extremely Likely

Keyly Scott, Home Manager at Ty Gwyn Care Home responded to this review on 22 Dec 2015:

Thank you very much for your kind and positive comments regarding the care and support your Mother is receiving at Ty Gwyn. To know that you would rate the home as first class is a credit to the management and at the staff team at the home. We will ensure that they receive this feedback.

My father has been a resident in Ty Gwyn for nearly a year. He is very happy and has become more motivated and more mobile during this past year. The staff are so caring and friendly and really give him the time he needs. They make sure that he can fulfill his full potential to enjoy the many activities and social occasions. I can certainly recommend this care home.

Submit a Review for Ty Gwyn Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Ty Gwyn Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ty Gwyn Care Home