Bearehill Care Home

24 Castle Street, Brechin DD9 6JU

Bearehill Care Home is in a Georgian mansion house with two additional units. It is set in its own grounds in the cathedral city of Brechin, Angus.

Bearehill offers traditional character with pillars and ornate ceilings in communal areas. Outdoors, the home has spacious grounds in which wildlife regularly visit. The home has large windows for residents who don't wish to go outside to still enjoy watching the animals.

Bearehill can cater to various care needs including residential care and dementia care.

With a dedicated activities coordinator in place, you will be rest assured that there will always be activities taking place in and out of the home for residents to enjoy.

Group: Four Seasons Health Care

Person in charge: Joyce Chalmers (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Angus Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 49 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Bearehill Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 8.1 (maximum of 10) for Bearehill Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 6 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Bearehill Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.8 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.309 for Bearehill Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (34 Excellents x 5) + (25 Goods x 4) + (5 Satisfactorys x 3) + (4 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 68 Ratings = 4.309

The 3.806 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Bearehill Care Home is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 9.8 positive Reviews (49 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 9.8 Target = 0.306

8.1 Bearehill Care Home has a Review Score of 8.1 (8.115) from 6 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Bearehill Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Bearehill Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

My mother was admitted to Bearehill Care Home for emergency respite care but is now a permanent resident in the Lawrence dementia unit. The family is very pleased with the standard of care and support afforded to her. Staff are kind, helpful and understanding. They are approachable and family members are always made to feel welcome when they visit. Communication between the home and family is very good and we are always informed of issues as they arise.
We feel that management and staff have a good understanding of my mother's needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Bearehill Care Home? Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Marketing at Bearehill Care Home responded to this review on 26 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your comments about your recent experience at Bearehill Care Home. Our residents’ wellbeing is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. We always appreciate individuals taking the time to give their feedback and we are very pleased to hear that your experience was so positive. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised.

I came into Bearehill Care Home, Brechin in October 2014. I had spent a few weeks in the hospital and after the blood test - 8 in each arm, I was told - very gently by a male doctor - that I had about 6 months to live, over three years later I am still alive!! I am happy in Bearehill. All the staff are very kind, management, carers - female, male - day and night staff, domestic staff and maintenance man. I am a widow - 94 years old - my husband was in the Royal Bank, transferred here from Aberdeen, he died in 1989 (when I say here, I mean Brechin).

How likely would you be to recommend Bearehill Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Bearehill Care Home responded to this review on 07 Mar 2018:

Thank you, Margaret, for sharing your experience of Bearehill Care Home. We are pleased to hear that it has been so positive. We're very happy you have found our staff to be so supportive during your experience here. Have a wonderful day.

My mother went into Bearehill for respite prior to long-term care placement as an emergency admission to the new dementia unit. The staff were very welcoming and instantly put mum and us at ease. The staff at all times were kind, helpful and supportive and dealt with all issues as they arrived. Had we not got a placement nearer home, would have been happy for mum to stay there permanently. She was in for 5 weeks.

How likely would you be to recommend Bearehill Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Bearehill Care Home responded to this review on 21 Feb 2018:

Thank you, Ann, for your comments about your experience of Bearehill Care Home. We are pleased to hear it was so positive and that you were pleased with the quality of our care. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we did and your praise and kind words about the team really means a lot to us. Thank you once again. Take care.

It is evident that the home is underequipped as there is insufficient staff to provide the proper levels of care to the residents, including my mother. Whilst I personally have not seen the food, my mother advises me that the quality is not good and has not been well cooked. This has been evidenced by other visitors to my mother. When considering my mother pays circa £2,800 per month (on top of this, Angus council pays a further £1,000), this provides a very low value for money. A new manager was recently appointed and it is hopeful that they will produce material improvements.

How likely would you be to recommend Bearehill Care Home? Unlikely

Karen Millington, Home Manager at Bearehill Care Home responded to this review on 07 Oct 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Bearehill - we appreciate all comments and feedback. Since receiving your review we have discussed the matters raised privately. If you do have any further concerns, please do not hesitate to speak with me. Best wishes, Karen.

I'm extremely happy with the care provided for my mum. She loves the staff and they are wonderful with her. My siblings and family are all made welcome when we visit. Information is given when required and the staff are happy to explain things to us if necessary. All in all, I am very happy mum is being cared for in Bearehill.
My one criticism is the decor in mums room is rather dull and requires freshening up.

How likely would you be to recommend Bearehill Care Home? Likely

My aunt has been living in Bearehill Care Home since 5th July 15 and I have no complaints, she enjoys the food and she has a lot of recreations to occupy her and I couldn't wish for a better care home.

Submit a Review for Bearehill Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Bearehill Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Bearehill Care Home