The Orchard Nursing Home, St Albans, Hertfordshire

The Orchard Nursing Home in St Albans is dedicated to delivering excellent standards of care with all decisions taken to prioritise the psychological, social and physical well-being of each resident.

Staff strive for a blend of compassion and commitment, while the home has many pleasing features to add to the satisfaction of daily lifestyles, including en-suite bedrooms, activity rooms and landscaped sensory gardens.

A bright and spacious interior includes a choice of lounge and quiet areas and there is even a cinema facility.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Clare Francis (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 63 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Filipino, Afrikaans, Bengali; Bangla, German, Greek, Modern, Spanish; Castilian, French, Hindi, Italian, Dutch, Polish, Slovak, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

The home is located on Camp Road near the junction with Cell Barnes Lane. The home is a 10 minute walk from St Albans station and is within easy walking distance to multiple bus routes.

Visitors are welcome at any time, but The Orchard Nursing Home would encourage visitors to call in advance to ensure that any specific arrangements can be met.

The home has its own car park for visitors.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Orchard Nursing Home: click here

posted 14 Nov 2017

Please call 0808 223 5544 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org for further information about current bed vacancies at The Orchard.

8.3 The Orchard Nursing Home has a Review Score of 8.3 (8.287)

The Review Score of 8.3 (maximum of 10) for The Orchard Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Orchard Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.7 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.549 for The Orchard Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (53 Excellents x 5) + (36 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 91 Ratings = 4.549

The 3.738 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Orchard Nursing Home is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 12.6 positive Reviews (63 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 12.6 Target = 0.238

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Orchard Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Orchard Nursing Home

• Great-Niece of Resident/Service User
  • Nephew of Resident/Service User

Very good dementia and general care. My mother was expecting end of life care but improved and gained 2 stone and now well and able to participate in the home life.
Very pleased and can recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Clare Francis, Home Manager at The Orchard Nursing Home responded to this review on 01 Aug 2017:

At Caring Homes we take feedback from our residents and their families very seriously and we are delighted to hear that this resident has gained weight and is enjoying life at The Orchard Nursing Home. We are always pleased when families are happy with the care received and would feel able to recommend our home as having very good dementia and general care.

Our care team strives to ensure every resident is enjoying life at the home to the full and will be working with this resident and family to ensure our daily activities are suitable and being taken full advantage of. Our home manager’s door is always open for discussion on any aspect of care at The Orchard.

As we live in Canada and were able to visit just three times during our stay I do not feel qualified to answer all questions. We did find the staff caring and helpful. Our dear resident became more her old self by our third visit and we happily went down memory lane together. We found the facility clean, her room as well. Several staff members showed interest in our being there and asked questions. We leave for home today feeling reassured of our dear friends care.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are caring and courteous. Initial concerns have been addressed and facilities considerably improved.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

My family were looking for home who could offer my Mother daycare as she has advanced alzheimers. First impressions of The Orchard were excellent. The home is modern, clean and felt very welcoming. Friends had already reassured us that the home was good. I had visited other homes but my brother and I both immediately felt that The Orchard was right for my Mother. She has attended the home since June 2016 and my family and friends have really noticed an improvement with my Mother. She is happy to attend the home and is extremely well cared for by the warm-hearted staff.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

A very clean and tidy nursing home and were pleased that my aunt spent her last stages of Alzheimer's and was clearly a little upset by the move, but soon began to settle in. We were told she was not eating or drinking, but this was something she had not done for a very long time, we were not surprised. We found the staff confident and caring. The nature of the disease means patients walk around on the floor and lot and it's hard to stop them walking into rooms that are not their own.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Likely

Over years this is the third member of our family to be in The Orchard and we have no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Outstanding care since my dad's admission in October 2013 to date. Despite change of ownership of the care home standards have maintained and improved. I have been impressed by the standard of care and support by all staff not only to my dad but our family as well in this difficult time. I would highly recommend this home to friends and relatives.

How likely would you be to recommend The Orchard Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

The Orchard care home and all the staff are amazing. My Aunt was diagnosed with a Brain Tumour last November. She had an operation and Radio Therapy to give her a bit more time but sadly rapidly deteriorated towards the end of June this year where she was hospitalised for 3 weeks. I decided I wanted her out of hospital and somewhere where I was confident she would get 24 hour care that was a "home from home" and that's exactly what we got. I viewed the home on my own and was shown all the rooms available and all the facilities on offer. I met the manager who was wonderfully supportive through this very emotional time and reserved my Aunts room with her there and then. This was the first home on a list of others I was due to view but I was so confident and overwhelmed by how lovely it was and it just felt right. We talked daily, chasing paperwork and hospital tests and finally got my Aunt into her room on The 8th of July. She had her Jazz music playing and was surrounded by photos of her loved ones and fresh flowers. Her key worker and Nurse washed and changed her and got her comfortable and settled straight away. We kissed her goodbye and told her we would see her tomorrow and felt confident that she was happy and relaxed. Sadly just as we arrived home (an hour away) we got a call to say that we better come back. My Beautiful Aunt slipped away 10 minutes after that call was made. When we arrived back to the home the manager greeted us at the door and told us the bad news. We got to see my Aunt who looked so peaceful and finally at rest and still listening to her Jazz music. We were offered plenty of shoulders to cry on and cups of tea. I really couldn't have wished for a better ending to my Aunts wonderful life and I know she couldn't have either. The manager was amazing from start to finish and listened to my wishes all the way through and I felt that my Aunt was in the best hands (apart from mine, obviously) thank you so much to everyone at The Orchards, a truly wonderful place. Rosie x

Submit a Review for The Orchard Nursing Home

December 2016

Kay

Kay Wainwright

I lead my professional Care Team in delivering the highest level of care and support for our residents.

My commitment to professional development has equipped me well for my role here, where I work hard to ensure that those in my care lead happy and fulfilling lives, whilst maintaining choice over the care and support they receive.

I believe in maintaining strong relationships with residents and their relatives, and understand the important contribution that these relationships make to the successful running of a care home.

I feel that the Caring Homes philosophy matches up well with my own beliefs on care provision, and I am committed to ensuring that all our residents continue to receive the high levels of care and protection they deserve.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Orchard Nursing Home