Birchmere House Care Home

1270 Warwick Road, Knowle, Solihull B93 9LQ

On the outskirts of Solihull Town, in the sought after village of Knowle, lies Birchmere House. This modern, purpose-built home provides residential care, nursing care and respite care for up to 68 residents in a variety of sizes and styles of accommodation suites.

All are equipped with full en-suite facilities and have kitchenettes installed as well, giving that extra bit of independence. Residents have the use of several spacious lounges, a free to use café, a light and airy dining room, private dining room, a residents minibus for daily outings and a wide-ranging programme of activities and events is laid on. All the comforts of home plus peace of mind with on-site carers and nurses 24/7 should help be needed.

Acquired in April 2017, Avery Healthcare is bringing Birchmere home into line with Avery nationally recognised standards. Avery is introducing its rigorous and well-practised standards into the care home, nurturing a vibrant community of care and companionship, and raising levels of resident wellbeing which is a hallmark of the organisation's success.

Group: Avery Healthcare Group

Person in charge: Rachel Walker (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 76 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Sheltered Housing • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Free parking available on site

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Birchmere House Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 8.4 (maximum of 10) for Birchmere House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 4 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Birchmere House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.7 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.66 for Birchmere House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (33 Excellents x 5) + (12 Goods x 4) + (2 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 47 Ratings = 4.66

The 3.697 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Birchmere House Care Home is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 15.2 positive Reviews (76 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 15.2 Target = 0.197

8.4 Birchmere House Care Home has a Review Score of 8.4 (8.357) from 4 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Birchmere House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Birchmere House Care Home

My very independent and intelligent father decided to move into Birchmere House when at 95 he recognised he needed support with everyday living. At mealtimes he enjoyed the stimulus of like-minded residents and good food and during the 13 months he lived there, he made kind friends.
Carers, medical, catering, maintenance and housekeeping staff ensured he lived as independently as possible, using his computer to send emails to friends around the world. His family were reassured that the staff had his best interests at heart and they treated him with dignity and respect. When he became ill, we were kept informed of his bad days and staff acted with speed and compassion in the ensuing emergencies, when hospital became necessary. Nobody wishes to lose a parent but during those last few days, when he returned home to Birchmere, the sincerity and gentleness of the staff made it more bearable for us.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchmere House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has been wholeheartedly welcomed into Birchmere House and made to feel instantly at home. The standard of her care is excellent, attentive and considered and there are always staff on hand. Her room and the facilities are of an excellent standard. She thinks the food is superb as well. It's given our family a huge sense of peace of mind to know that she's being cared for so well.

My father stayed at Birchmere for two weeks for respite care, after being in the hospital for over a month. The care he received was outstanding. Everyone was so helpful and caring. The food impressed my father, he ate everything that was put in front of him. His room was quiet and private with a large en-suite bathroom. He had his own allocated carers who were there at a push of a button, they helped him shower and dress every day. He was encouraged to mix with other residents during meal times and during the get-together sessions that were planned daily. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff, they truly went out of their way for everything that my father needed.
I was very pleased overall with all of the care he received at Birchmere and I would highly recommend this care home to anyone wanting that extra special care and support.

Always plenty of staff to speak to. Care is considered and compassionate. Personal care carried out with regards to dignity. Food of a superior quality.

How likely would you be to recommend Birchmere House Care Home? Likely

UK Marketing, Marketing Manager at Birchmere House Care Home responded to this review on 21 Oct 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Sunrise of Knowle.
Your feedback is important to us, as is the care and well-being of all of our residents. We take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities to make a difference to our residents and their families lives.
The Sunrise of Knowle Team

Submit a Review for Birchmere House Care Home

Pauline

Pauline Hunter

“My background is 20 years as a Senior Manager with a large blue chip organisation within the automotive industry. I made the move into the world of care to seek a more fulfilling and purposeful role. I have been a General Manager with Sunrise for several years now and have been privileged to serve wonderful residents and staff alike. I am proud to lead a wonderful team who care passionately about seniors and their wellbeing. We aim to give the highest levels of care to all our residents and ensure peace of mind for all family and friends. I would love the opportunity to give you a behind the scenes look at our beautiful home.”

Pat

Pat Munday

Job Title: Deputy Manager

I am a Registered General Nurse who qualified in 1984. I have experience of working with older adults in a residential setting both in the UK and France. I progressed to the position of Home Manager in 1999 and since then have worked for several large organisations in this role. I am passionate about delivering the very highest standards of care to the residents at Sunrise of Knowle and I am committed to leading a skilled, caring and compassionate team that will enable me to do this.

Kate

Kate Hayward

Job Title: Assisted Living Co-ordinator

I have worked in both the NHS and private healthcare sectors for the last 25 years; the last 15 years in two hospitals in the private sector, focusing on staff training, customer service and care, and governance and risk. This is my first venture into senior care, but I was drawn by the Sunrise ethos and the evident passion and care of the Sunrise staff.

Kelly

Kelly Holder

Job Title: Reminiscence Co-ordinator

I am a Registered General Nurse and have worked in the care sector for over 10 years. I have a special interest in end of life and dementia care. My aim is to support residents and their families and to provide meaningful person-centred care. I have a very special job and just seeing my residents smile and have happy, fulfilled days makes it all worthwhile. Dementia care is my absolute passion and I'm constantly looking at ways to improve the service we offer at Sunrise of Knowle. I am grateful that I have such a dedicated team to provide such a high standard of care 24/7

Marilyn

Marilyn Hamilton

Job Title: Activities Co-ordinator

I have worked in care for the past 25 years and have a passion for helping Seniors and children alike. My aim is to make our residents’ days happier by providing activities to keep their bodies and minds active and making their days more enjoyable. Organising many daily activities and trips out for our residents, providing regular entertainment within our Community and, supported by our activities team and volunteers, putting on special events marking special days in the year also enables us to involve residents family and friends in the fun!

Alex

Alex Wetton

Job Title: Director of Community Relations

Joined: 2009

I joined Sunrise of Knowle before it opened in 2009 and have been privileged to help transform our community from a new building to a place that our residents now happily call “Home”. Helping new residents and their families through what can sometimes be a difficult time and then seeing them settle into a new life with new friends is the most rewarding thing I have ever done, and to hear many of them say “I wish I’d done this years ago” is testament to the efforts our care team, nurses, activities and dining team put into every day for our residents.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Birchmere House Care Home