The Denby at Denby Dale

402 Wakefield Road, Denby Dale, Huddersfield HD8 8RP

The Denby at Denby Dale, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire

The Denby is situated in Denby Dale on the edge of the Pennines and is a friendly, purpose-built care home offering residential care.

The home offers residents a host of different spaces in which to relax, dine and socialise. Residents can also enjoy the use of The Denby's gym, hairdressing salon, spa, café, library and cinema room.

The landscaped garden is a perennial favourite and a great spot for catching up with friends and family. Local shops and amenities are conveniently nearby. The Denby's comfortable bedrooms and living areas are all easily accessible by wheelchair.

The home's caring team has created a family atmosphere, encouraging everyone to eat properly and celebrate special occasions together.

Residents are invited to decorate their rooms with small items of their own furniture and treasured belongings so that it feels just like home. Daily life is thoughtfully designed to support, mind, body and soul.

Person in charge: Emma Brown (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kirklees Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 47 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

The Denby at Denby Dale has parking on site.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Denby at Denby Dale: click here

posted 21 Feb 2018

Large en suite bedroom with patio door to gardens, suitable for residential care client. Ground floor room available.

9.6 The Denby at Denby Dale has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.637)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for The Denby at Denby Dale is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Denby at Denby Dale in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.637 for The Denby at Denby Dale is calculated as follows: ( (169 Excellents x 5) + (68 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 248 Ratings = 4.637

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Denby at Denby Dale is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.4 positive Reviews (47 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 9.4 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Denby at Denby Dale?

Reviewer Connection to The Denby at Denby Dale

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

At a time when our family were faced with my Dad unexpectedly going into hospital, leaving Mum unable to cope at home on her own, The Denby was a godsend to us.

I'm not really sure how we would have coped had they not gone above and beyond to help us. We quickly realised it was just physically impossible to ensure someone could be with Mum 24/7 to ensure her safety while Dad was in hospital.
HC One and The Denby stepped in and quickly arranged for an emergency respite placement for my Mum. Within a few short hours (and very late in the evening) my Mum was at the care home where the staff quickly put her at ease and helped her to settle in.

The staff are a credit to the company, looking after and assisting the residents with patience and understanding. The home itself is lovely and the photos don't do it justice.

I'd like to sincerely thank ALL the staff and Managers who went out of their way to live up to their mantra of 'The kind care company'.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Dad is new to the home and suffers from dementia and needs care due to his illness. When we first entered the home we knew it was the place for him and we have not been disappointed. The building and furnishings are immaculate and the staff so friendly and caring. Nothing is too much trouble for them. There is an activities coordinator which is a real boost for dad and he enjoys the company of others which he sadly missed living alone. I can honestly heartily recommend this home. You have to see it to believe what a lovely place it is.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Always a cheery greeting when met by staff, although rudderless all summer and staff thin on the ground, often slow to answer residents' calls for help, due to insufficient staff maybe.
The carers do give very good and attentive care but seem to have to devote a large percentage of time to inevitable paperwork.
The staff are all very well selected, including the laundry lady and activity lady, sensitively making sure all join in.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Claire Hurworth, Careline Manager at The Denby at Denby Dale responded to this review on 16 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback received as this helps us to improve our service where required. We have recently increased our staffing, placing another staff member on shift in the afternoon and a further two senior staff members throughout the day. To promote staff visibility, we have created two senior offices which are located on the ground floor and top floor. A new Deputy has been recruited to the home and a new style of paperwork has been introduced to enable quick access to documents. Thank you also for your kind comments, the team works very hard to deliver kind care to all our Residents. The supporting Home Manager operates an open door policy and is happy to assist with any concerns you might have.

Well run home and excellent design/furnishings. My mother enjoyed her stay, though complained the evening meal was too early (at c. 6pm).
Good food though.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

I have enjoyed the cheerful and friendly care taken by the staff towards me. The meals have been good. If it is ever necessary thatI need care again, I will come back to The Denby.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Although this was her second stay at the home she was still a little concerned about having to return. She indicated when we collected her that she had once again enjoyed the stay find the room and facilities excellent, the food excellent and the staff always pleasant and helpful.
She joined in the activities which surprised us as she tends to keep herself to herself and is quite independent. Overall she once again enjoyed her stay which for me makes it far easier and more relaxing knowing that she is looked after really well during her stays.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

An excellent home. Very caring, lovely food and excellent workers. Cannot fault it.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Excellent care. My mum is extremely well looked after both personal hygiene and emotional care. I cannot thank the staff enough for what they do for my mum. She always participates in the activities which are varied and this helps to keep her motivated. My mum is not in good health but the care and attention given to her keep her going otherwise I am sure she would sadly no longer be with us.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Overall very good. Food hit and miss.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Meridian, Careline Team at The Denby at Denby Dale responded to this review on 09 Mar 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review.
We aim to deliver the best quality food to our residents and will continue to monitor this to ensure that residents are happy with the foods served.

I am very contented here.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Likely

Since I arrived here in October I have settled very well. The home is done to a high standard and the carers are very kind and help me a lot.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

It's really nice here. I didn't think I would like it but I do. I'm happy I'm here now, the staff are really nice and kind to me.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

I find it very nice here, I can't find anything wrong at all. Staff are nice, food is good.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

In the past, I have had both my father and mother-in-law in homes. My mother-in-law's home was so bad that we took her out and she ended up living with me and my late husband. So when I go to The Denby at Denby Dale, I do go looking for faults but as of yet, I have not found any. To put it another way, if I had to go into a home, I would choose to go to The Denby at Denby Dale. My cousin is well looked after and he is very happy. I go in once a week to see him and I know that if I am worried about him, I can phone anytime of the day to see how he is.

I have only put satisfactory for the management because The Denby at Denby Dale has a very new manager. If the old one had still been working at The Denby at Denby Dale, I would have put an excellent -so I really cannot comment on the new manager

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

The home is lovely. I come here for respite every few months, I wouldn't go anywhere else. The food is excellent, the staff are so lovely

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

I cannot explain how good everyone at The Denby is. I hadn't seen my wife in over a week. Also, they set a table up with wine and flowers and we sat and had a three-course meal. I do not have words to explain what this meant to me and my wife. All the staff are wonderful people. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

Very good. I'm vegetarian and they make me separate meals to suit me.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Likely

Nice place to bring mum, lots of things happened and all the family can come.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

I stayed here for six nights, all things about the Denby were good no complaints. Very friendly staff, nothing was ever too much trouble for them. I would certainly go back there.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

My family and myself can't praise the manager and her team enough for all the care, compassion, friendship and laughter they shared with our mother during her short stay, unfortunately her health deteriorated very quickly and the whole team gave their utmost to make her final few weeks as comfortable as possible.
The facilities provided meant residents are able to participate in lots of activities suitable to their abilities.
The rooms are well equipped, clean and modern. Mum's room overlooked Denby Dale village which she loved to watch the world go by and commenting on shoppers in the bakery and deli.
Menus were varied and adaptable for all tastes with snacks available at any time, drinks in their own rooms or in the bistro or coffee lounge.
Thank you once again.

How likely would you be to recommend The Denby at Denby Dale? Extremely Likely

My Dad, moved into the Denby for respite a few weeks ago. Within a couple of weeks he told me he wanted to stay 'forever' - he is so well looked after. The staff are wonderful. It's a lovely place. Dad has changed from being sad and lonely to being happy and quite jolly. He looks and acts 10 years younger! When he lived in his flat he shuffled with a zimmer frame into his chair each day and never moved. I cannot believe the new man he has become. He now walks tall and just uses a stick. The Activities Coordinator is brilliant at encouraging my Dad to join in with things. Last week they were playing dominoes in the lounge with a few ladies and there was such warmth and laughter in the room it was great. I went to a family firework party there a couple of weeks ago. All the staff were there with their families and they made such a fuss of the residents it's like a big happy family.
It's so nice visiting him now and seeing how relaxed and happy he is. The staff genuinely seem to care about him. The Manager is always very helpful if I have any queries.
It was a very tough decision when we first thought about looking for a residential home for my Dad but it's turned out to be the absolute best thing we could have done. My Dad has a new lease of life.
To summarise: it's a gorgeous building with super facilities and the staff are fabulous.

Submit a Review for The Denby at Denby Dale

March 2015

Pinders, Best New Care Home

Recipient: The Denby at Denby Dale

Date: Wednesday 25 Mar 2015

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Denby at Denby Dale