Norbury Hall Residential Care Home

Norbury Hall Park, 55 Craignish Avenue, Norbury, London SW16 4RW

Norbury Hall Residential Care Home offers peace and tranquillity in a friendly, supportive and compassionate atmosphere.

The Grade II listed building is set in beautiful gardens and parkland and was once home to the Mayor of Croydon in 1887.

The home offers short and long-term care in single or shared rooms all which have views of the surrounding grounds and many feature en-suite facilities.

Norbury Hall provides care for older people, those who have mental health problems and people living with dementia.

They have a team of skilled and professional staff who pride themselves on delivering the highest standards of care.

Owner: V K Dhir

Person in charge: Uma Dhir (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: London Borough of Croydon Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 81 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Detention Under Mental Health Act • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Schizophrenia • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Spanish; Castilian, French, Gujarati, Hindi, Malay, Panjabi, Punjabi, Polish

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £750 – £1100 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £500 – £750 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Norbury Hall Residential Care Home to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Norbury Hall Residential Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Norbury Hall Residential Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 31 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Norbury Hall Residential Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.53 for Norbury Hall Residential Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (252 Excellents x 5) + (84 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (10 Poors x 2) + (9 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 366 Ratings = 4.53

The 4.802 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Norbury Hall Residential Care Home is based on 13 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16.2 positive Reviews (81 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 13 Reviews ÷ 16.2 Target = 0.802

9.3 Norbury Hall Residential Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.332) from 31 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Norbury Hall Residential Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Norbury Hall Residential Care Home

Room was dirty when we checked in, despite being empty for a week or more. Did not have sufficient staff to keep upstairs lounges open so residents kept downstairs, quite distressing for my Dad who is incontinent. Staff did not seem well versed in his care needs and his dedicated care worker clearly hadn’t read his file. Activities, well they gave him a jigsaw to do - he is registered blind. Dad was still in the same clothes three days after admission. Needless to say, he did not stay longer.

How likely would you be to recommend Norbury Hall Residential Care Home? Unlikely

Uma McCluskey, Deputy Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 21 May 2018:

Thank you for your feedback which we have shared with the team. Having looked into your feedback, we can see that your relative wore glasses and did have some sight and was able to partake well in activities. Your relative was able to tell us what they wished to partake in and this was followed by the activity team and this included puzzles. The lounges, library, dining areas to relax in on all floor are accessible to residents living here and are used for group activities, music therapy and family parties regularly. The care staff are equipped to deliver care to the residents and we are sorry to hear that you felt they had not read his care file. We thank you again for your feedback and use it to continually review and improve our services.

My aunt has been resident at Norbury Hall for four years. In that time I have been very impressed with the quality of care she has received. The staff all seem to genuinely care about the residents and are very helpful. The manager has always had time to speak to me and obviously loves the job she is doing. There have been a couple of communication issues, but these are minor details.
There are always activities organised for the residents which cover a wide range of interests. I don’t think my aunt would have better care anywhere.

How likely would you be to recommend Norbury Hall Residential Care Home? Extremely Likely

Uma Dhir, Deputy Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 30 Apr 2018:

Thank you very much, I shall share this with the team. We shall all miss your Aunt very much.

My mother who has Dementia, moved into Norbury Hall about six weeks ago, having experienced both independent and residential living. I have seen my mother become isolated and withdrawn over the years. Imagine my surprise when I turned up for a visit and was told my mother had gone for a walk in the park with a group of residents!
I have arrived and seen my mother talking to people and engaging with them. Last week I saw my mother really laugh and saw the mother I remember when we looked at a book together.
I know that my mother will not get better but I feel that she is being supported, stimulated and treated with respect and dignity. Thank you all at Norbury Hall.

My nephew is very settled at Norbury Hall, he has put on weight and gets on well with all the staff who are all excellent. I visit him twice a week and he is always in good spirits, thanks mainly to the staff.

Uma, Reg. Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 09 Apr 2018:

Thanks so much for this lovely review, we shall share it with the team.

My mother was a resident at Norbury Hall for two and a half years. Despite our worries that she would never settle, she was always very content there for these reasons:
Caring, attentive staff (with a low turnover which enables continuity) who made sure that Mum's individual needs were met, through to her End of Life care plan.
Comfortable safe, personalised room and surroundings, including the gardens.
A varied and tasty diet, which she enjoyed.
The kind and patient Activities Team who tailored activities such as knitting, exercises, music, quizzes and crafts to include Mum and help her to socialise with other residents.
Leadership and communication: the management team and seniors were always approachable and professional and kept us informed immediately of any changes or observations they had made about Mum. We were always included in discussions about her needs and care.
I know that Mum was grateful to be treated with respect and affection by the staff. Sincere thanks to you all.

Uma McCluskey, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 19 Mar 2018:

Thank you so much for your kind words, we cannot express how much they mean, I shall share them with the entire team and we shall all miss your mother.

During the months that my wife was resident at Norbury Hall, she receives nothing but the most excellent treatment. Treated as an individual in a friendly way. She was made to feel comfortable, even to the very end and staff were very sympathetic towards myself and the family on her death. Unlike many care homes I have visited, the residents are not left sitting aimlessly watching television but are involved in a variety of activities both physical and mental. Every effort is made to involve even the frailest residents. The care doesn't end with the residents but extends to relatives visiting. Staff are aware of the relationship of the visitor with the resident which is a good indication of personal relationships that develop. I cannot think of any adverse criticism.

Uma McCluskey, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 14 Mar 2018:

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, we shall miss her and your visits so much. We shall share this review with the team.

The staff are kind, caring and always happy and smiling. My aunt was obviously well cared for and she enjoyed interacting with all of the staff. My aunt enjoyed her food and looked forward to meal times. The standard of cleanliness throughout the home was excellent. The fact that my aunt was happy and engaged in many activities speaks for itself.

Uma McCluskey, R M at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 22 Jan 2018:

Thank you so much for your lovely review, we shall share it with all the team here at Norbury Hall.

Lovely home, beautiful setting and kind, caring staff. I couldn't fault the care given to my friend.

Uma Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 18 Dec 2017:

Thank you for such a wonderful review, we shall share it with the entire team.

Norbury Hall is a genuinely lovely place, it is warm and cosy and has the feel of family on arrival. You are always welcomed by the caring staff and the managers are nice and friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this care home to anyone, I am so pleased I found it for my relative. The home is in the middle of the Park which the activity ladies take the old people out to as well to the coffee shop around the corner. They have a lot going on here and I really enjoy visiting. Thanks to you all, we really appreciate it.

U Dhir, Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 22 Nov 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind words, we shall share this with the team.

Norbury Hall has been home to my mum for more than a year and it is a home.
The staff are family who treat her with care and respect.
The place is full of bright colours and music.
Flower arrangements and artwork by the residents are everywhere and everyone is included in activities.
Staff are always on hand to help and encourage. The accommodation is generous and I am confident that my Mum is being well looked after.
Security is paramount. Unannounced visits are welcomed and the manager is very professional without losing the kind touch.

My husband and I had been looking for a care home for his mother for 3 months, we have had pressure on us from the hospital to move her. The manager and the team were kind, patient and gave us advice (that even our social worker did not give us), she explained the process and was very quick to assess my mother in law. She has moved in and is very settled, they provide Asian food and have many Asian staff. I would recommend Norbury Hall Care Home to anyone.

U Dhir, Reg. Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 20 Oct 2017:

Dear Sami, thank you so much for your kind review. We will share it amongst the team.

The care staff are so kind and caring.
My mother was admitted to the service and from the beginning, the staff team were so supportive and kind. The managers are very approachable and invited me to attend meetings and reviews. I would recommend this home to anyone looking for that bit extra in a care home. It has a lovely family feel and atmosphere. I met the owner who was really lovely, it's such a relief to know mum's safe.

Uma Dhir, RM at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 25 Sep 2017:

Thank you very much for your kind words, we will share them with the team.

I needed to find a home for respite for my father and I thought that this home would be a fantastic choice. I met the owner who made all the promises of how great her home is and that the care that they provide is of a high standard. Needless to say over the next few days it just went down, from simple instructions as to what he can eat to washing requirements and hygiene...what a disappointment!!

How likely would you be to recommend Norbury Hall Residential Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Uma Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 03 Oct 2017:

Dear Joanna, we have read your review and confirm we investigated and invited you to attend a review meeting to discuss 1) the choices that your father made in relation to what he chose to eat 2) you gave our staff instructions in relation to personal hygiene, which goes against national guidance, and our staff refused to do this. We invited you to attend a meeting to discuss this and you decided not to attend. We are sorry that we could not follow your instructions in relation to personal hygiene. Care providers must promote choice, respect dignity and encourage residents to make choices for themselves and follow their wishes of what to eat and drink etc. We regret that you have chosen to leave a review of this kind instead of attending a meeting or engaging with us. If you would like to discuss this further, we would be happy to meet you and discuss this. All the best.

The staff are wonderful and attentive, the place is clean and doesn't smell. They took great care of my mother. There were weekly activities and outside people that came in weekly to do haircuts, massage, pedicure and manicures (all at an additional cost). There's a garden and off road car parking and they are very flexible on visiting hours as well as always available on the phone.

My Mother has been a resident for nearly a year. I make a point of taking her out at least once a week for walk in the park or family time. Whether she has been up or down for our time together, she has always been positive about her return to Norbury Hall giving no negative indications. She had a heart problem last October which was dealt with instantly and professionally. Following a few days in hospital, she has been supported at Norbury Hall since to a level which leaves me with no concerns. The management are readily available and supportive on all matters like Attendance Allowance and hospital appointments and approachable on any issues of concern to help find resolutions.

My gran has been at Norbury Hall for over a year. She's very happy there and speaks highly of the staff - who always seem to be kind, caring and dedicated. Her room is really personalised so she feels comfortable and she enjoys the activities.

I cannot recommend Norbury Hall enough! The staff are welcoming, kind and caring. It has a really warm and homely atmosphere from the moment you walk in, which made the transition for my aunt into Norbury Hall so much easier and less daunting for her. My aunt is well cared for and really enjoys the activities available, especially the arts and the trips out. It is a pleasure for us to see that she is so happy there and has made it her home. I would definitely recommend Norbury Hall.

My brother has now lived here since 2011 following a long stay in hospital after a serious road accident. He had been a resident in Norbury since 1934 and was no longer able to look after himself at home. He agreed to let me sell his house on his behalf to finance his care at Norbury Hall.
From the time he initially moved in he has been a very difficult patient but throughout his stay, he has been given the utmost care and consideration by the management and staff.
His interests in amateur radio and computers was encouraged which entailed him being allowed a lot of unusual equipment in his room. Unfortunately, his incapacity now prevents him from doing anything so he requires 24 hour care.
I don't think he could have been looked after any better.

How likely would you be to recommend Norbury Hall Residential Care Home? Likely

On recent visits, I have found the management and care staff to be so helpful and very positive on the care they give to the residents.
My family member has settle in well and is happy there. She interacts with the staff, and enjoys taking part in the many activities they do.

My dear mum was at Norbury Hall for 3 years suffering from Alzheimers Dementia. Although it was a very difficult decision for the family to place her in a care home, we feel we made the right decision in choosing this home. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and excellent in their care for my mum. The manager and senior staff were always available and very efficient in dealing with any issues that arose. I would recommend this home.

Uma Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 12 Apr 2017:

Thank you very much for such a wonderful review! We shall miss your mother dearly, she was such a pleasure to care for.

I am incredibly happy to know that my mum was being cared for by really excellent management and staff, particularly the manager. It gave me such a sense of relief to know that she was in a really good place. What was really lovely was that she lived here until she was 104-years-old, and was treated like a star!

U Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 28 Mar 2017:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We shall all miss your lovely mother, she was always the life and soul of the party!

Norbury Hall is a first rate Care Home. I have experience with other homes, all good, but Norbury Hall is the best. Many aspects make this home special. Here are a few:
1-The home is family run and it shows. They treat each person as an individual, with unique needs and desires.
2- The staff are friendly, compassionate and really professional. They greet each person by name and engage in individual conversations.
3- The hygiene standards are impressive.
4- The rooms have many special features, including disability friendly lighting, door handles, and a special discreet door that a gurney could fit thru in an emergency- Genius!
5- I'm told the food is delicious and the variety is good.
6- They are on lovely gated grounds and it feels like a stately home, not a locked in a situation.
7- The activities are plentiful and varied.
8- Medical, hair styling etc available on site.

And more! What a blessing to find this place for my relative.

I was impressed with how my sister improved immediately on entry to Norbury Hall. Excellent care and attention was given to her throughout her many years at Norbury Hall and I was alerted well in advance of her passing away. I had no concerns regarding my sisters care throughout her stay, other of my relatives were always welcomed by the home and their staff.

Norbury Halls made my mum feel at home from day 1 and over the 6 months whilst she was there they took very good care of her. We could also see the care and attention given to other residents was excellent also whilst we were visiting. The staff always called the residents with their name which is quite important as that is one thing my mum never forgot.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this care home.

Uma Dhir, RM at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 18 Aug 2016:

Thank you so much for your kind words, we shall share them with the whole team. We wish you and your family the very best.

Would recommend Norbury Hall care home. Excellent and very caring staff. Professional management team and very well run. Felt safe knowing that my mum was being cared for by the staff here. Always lots going on and something for everyone to take part in.

My Aunt was admitted to Norbury Hall after being sectioned in a Mental Health Ward. From the moment she arrived they gave her time to adjust to her new surroundings and ensured that she was supported in every way possible. After breaking her hip the staff at Norbury Hall helped my Aunt learn how to walk again after the hospital had given up on her. They were always happy to chat to her and support her needs.

The activities at Norbury Hall are exceptional and I know my Aunt thoroughly enjoyed them and they kept her mind active.

The staff are wonderful and really get to know their residents, they are supportive and treat them with the respect and dignity they deserve.

I have no hesitation in recommending Norbury Hall to any potential new resident and their family.

U Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 13 Apr 2016:

Thank you for your kind words, your review will be shared with the team and especially the activities team. Thank you again and we will all miss your lovely aunt, she made many friends here and was loved by all of us.

The most outstanding feature of Norbury Hall is the warm and friendly attitude of the staff towards the residents. They really get to know the residents and their likes and dislikes, and seems to hold them in some affection.
I was also impressed by the activities laid on for the residents, who I know enjoy the Saturday afternoon entertainments, the aromatherapy massages, and the hairdressing. It's lovely to see the house decorated with the pictures they have done in craft sessions, and the photos of their outings and celebrations.
The prevailing mood is one of calm and order. Although some of the residents can occasionally be challenging, they are always treated with gentleness and respect.

Uma, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 03 Mar 2016:

Thank you so very much for your kind review, we shall share it with the entire team. With best wishes.

My Aunt spent the last six years at Norbury Hall. During that time she was always well looked after and truly cared for by all the staff. I am thankful that we found Norbury Hall and believe my Aunt was happy there. Thank you to everyone who looked after her.

Uma Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 10 Feb 2016:

Thank you so much. Your Aunt was here for such a long time and will be so very missed by us all and also her dear friend. We loved looking after her and will miss not seeing you and the family every week. Take care.

The family would like to express their gratitude for the care and attention shown to the needs of our mother whilst a resident at the home. Our heartfelt thanks go out to all staff who made her stay at the home a very enjoyable and comfortable one. The staff are to be highly commended for the genuine care and concern of our mother to the extent of showing that they were happy to accommodate for any personal requests made by her. We would highly recommend this home to any individual needing palliative or supportive care.

Thank you so much for your kind words which we will share with the entire team here, Mrs S will be very missed among the community at Norbury Hall, she really was the life and soul of the party.

Our late great Aunty has been a resident at Norbury Hall since September 2013. Aunty was a happy kind person, with a great sense of humour which shone through her unfortunate illness. She has been very well looked after during her last few years and we could not have asked for a better group of Healthcare Professionals who cared for, loved and understood her. We are extremely grateful. A big thank you to all the staff at Norbury Hall Care Home.

Uma Dhir, Registered Manager at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 04 Jan 2016:

Dear Mrs B, thank you very much for your kind words, it was a real pleasure to look after your great aunt for such a long period of time and she will be sorely missed by all of the staff and her friends here at Norbury Hall. We wish you all the best, from all at Norbury Hall.

My father was very happy in his short time at Norbury Hall. During that time he was treated with such care and consideration. Staff made a point of finding out as much as they could about his likes and dislikes and tried their best to give him what he wanted especially when he started to struggle with eating. They gently encouraged him to leave his room and join the others in the communal areas and helped him with his love of colouring making sure he had what he needed.
They have very good systems in place that highlight problems and keep relatives up to date and involved. It felt like we were working together for my Dad's happiness, and meant we could feel confident in his care without having to worry. We wish he could have been with you for longer to fully partake in all you have to offer as we know he would have loved it.

Uma Dhir, Manager of Care Home at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home responded to this review on 14 Dec 2015:

Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We really enjoyed looking after your dad, he will be very missed. Thank you again for your kind words.

Submit a Review for Norbury Hall Residential Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Norbury Hall Residential Care Home

Uma

QCF Level 4 and 5 in health and social care
Palliative care trained
First Aider
Registered Manager Award

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Norbury Hall Residential Care Home