Rotherlea, Petworth, West Sussex

Rotherlea is a superb modern care home located in the picturesque West Sussex market town of Petworth. The home is purpose designed with 7 separate self contained wings each providing residents with their own spacious single en-suite bedrooms, their own lounge and dining areas and a team of dedicated professional care staff.

Care packages are put together with you and your family so that your choices and preferences always come first. Rotherlea offers a varied and interesting social activity schedule designed around residents’ own hobbies and interests and aimed at maintaining strong community links.

Rotherlea provides long stay and respite residential care for older people with physical frailty and for older people who are suffering from dementia. A fully qualified care team provide the very highest standard of care to residents 24 hours a day.

Group: Shaw Healthcare

Person in charge: Deborah Embleton (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: West Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 70 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, Polish

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Rotherlea: click here

9.1 Rotherlea has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.088)

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Rotherlea is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 13 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Rotherlea in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.231 for Rotherlea is calculated as follows: ( (53 Excellents x 5) + (86 Goods x 4) + (17 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 156 Ratings = 4.231

The 4.857 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Rotherlea is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14 positive Reviews (70 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 14 Target = 0.857

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Rotherlea?

Reviewer Connection to Rotherlea

• Day Care Service User
  • Power of Attorney/Solicitor of Resident/Service User

I enjoy coming to day care.
The food is good and company.
Always have fun and get treated well by staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

We went on a trip for a Christmas meal. I felt safe and I want to go again. We had fun at the meal and the staff were nice to me. I enjoy coming to Rotherlea.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Likely

Enjoy being taken our occasionally. Also, personal care I.e being bathed, very enjoyable and carers very helpful and care being done with dignity and privacy. Day car enjoyable, meals very nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Likely

I am a resident long term here and I feel very comfortable, warm and cared for by the staff.
The staff here are very good and always polite and willing to help if I ask them.
The food here is satisfactory with some meals better than others but overall Ok.
The activities that I've participated in have been fun bringing a lot of laughter to the home.
I am always treated with dignity/respect.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

On the odd occasions that I have visited with my wife, to see Mother in Law I have always found the staff/management very professional, helpful and accommodating. I would have no worries about recommending this home to friends/family if required.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

My mum has been at Rotherlea since last May and has settled really well. I am happy to say goodbye to her after a visit knowing that she is in the best place possible. She is well looked after and has a beautiful, comfortable bedroom and bathroom which are spotless. I brought her 2 grandsons over to visit, they had not experienced visiting someone in a care home and both felt a little unsure of what to expect. But after the visit they were both very pleasently surprised. They were happy to see their nan settled and happy in the surroundings that she now feels is home.
Over Christmas, it was lovely to see the entertainment staff organising activities and it was nice to join in with the Christmas carols and to experience my mum joining in which was lovely.
The staff are amazing and nothing ever seems too much and there is always someone to talk with and they have definitely supported me as much as my mum. A very big Thank you and I would not hesitate to recommend Rotherlea.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

Very nice, kind and helpful staff. Home has warm and friendly atmosphere, very well laid out. Good facilities.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

Rotherlea is a superb home. The staff are very helpful and caring. Management keeps relatives up to date with the home in general, activities are good if they are taken up by the residents. Outside entertainment is brought to the home, which seems very popular. The food is good, drinks are always being offered throughout the day.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

I have found the staff very friendly and never hesitate to talk over any problems. Also, the management are very approachable with any concerns. I am very happy with my mother living there.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

This is a purpose-built home with modern attractive furnishings. It has a pleasant atmosphere and the staff are welcoming and helpful. The residents seem very happy to be there and enjoy the excellent food.

The only criticism I could make is that there seems to be a lack of continuity with the staff. But then all homes find it difficult to get sufficient staff for continuity. Maybe if the rules for CRV checks could be amended it would help every organisation.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

My Mother has been a resident of Rotherlea since March 2015 and will be 93 on 1st January 2018.
She took a while to settle in as she suffers from Alzheimer's and she had lived with me since my father died in 1980.
All the staff are extremely kind and patient. My Mother suffers from periods of extreme anxiety and whenever one of these periods occur everyone has been hugely supportive. I miss her but I visit regularly and we still are able to go on little outings together. The main thing is that I know that when I leave her to come home she is well cared for and loved by so many staff and residents and they make sure that she has a good quality of life. The food is well prepared and presented. The activities have always been well organised and varied with lots of outings and visiting entertainers.
I would, and do, recommend Rotherlea to other people in my situation who have a relative who needs to be in a Care Home.

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Extremely Likely

The private rooms are a good size, adequately furnished with utility items. The en-suite is adequate. Rooms are kept clean. Public rooms are light and airy, usually clean.
Residents are treated in a respectful but friendly manner by all staff.
Many care helpers are from agencies, therefore residents own needs are sometimes not recognised.
Some property does mysteriously disappear!

How likely would you be to recommend Rotherlea? Likely

Really love this home, my dad is only in for six weeks respite and is not at all sociable but seems to be here. The staff all seem friendly and nice to all the inmates!! always seems very clean and the rooms are very nice. If dad has to stay I may want him to stay in this home one in Bognor/Chichester is closer. Very happy with it all at Rotherlea.

Submit a Review for Rotherlea

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Rotherlea

Deborah

Deborah Embleton

Joined: 1995

I've been working for Shaw since 1995 and I've been managing Rotherlea since it first opened. We have a great team here at the home. The Unit Manager and Team Leaders who supervise the care for all of our service users are experienced and dedicated to delivering the highest possible standards of care and that creates a culture of quality care within the home. They enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience with the teams they manage, and its great hearing and seeing how much of a difference the support we provide makes to the lives of the people we care for. I enjoy hearing the feedback we get from residents and their families. We are always looking for members of the community who want to make a difference and work with us to care for vulnerable people. If you are interested in joining our team then please feel free to give me a call at Rotherlea on 01798 345940, pop in and see me in person, or you can check out our vacancies at www.shaw.co.uk

Sarah

Sarah Hawkins

Joined: 1985

I have worked for Shaw for many years now. In 2008 we moved to a lovely purpose built home, Rotherlea. The rooms are a good size with en-suite facilities which enables us to work with each individual client in the privacy of their own rooms and we have a good range of equipment in the building. We all have a good training programme that ensures we are all up to date with the relevant skills needed to do a good job. There is a good team rapport making a positive, pleasant working environment.

Helen

Helen Randell

Joined: 2012

I have been working at Rotherlea since 2012. Before coming here I had no experience in this career path and I didn't know what to expect. I love meeting and chatting to all the residents and working with them every day builds up a connection between staff and residents. I also enjoy helping them to improve their quality of life.

Jill Cunnington

Job Title: Administrator

Joined: 2011

I started working at Rotherlea in June 2011, but I wish that I had found this job ages ago. The manager is very friendly and easy to get along with, she leads a very experienced team and is very dedicated to her position.

The staff are excellent at their jobs and give 100 per cent to the care of the residents. The home in general is a very happy place to work in, and I am very proud to work here and be part of the team.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Ralph

Joined: 2011

Having raised my family I returned to employment in 2011 at Rotherlea. I have had extensive training which had given me the skills I need as a Support Worker. The team are friendly and supportive making the working environment a pleasant and calming one. I am always more than happy to do overtime when asked.

Luke

Luke Baigent

Joined: 2013

I enjoy working at Rotherlea because I get to interact with the residents and improve their quality of life by helping them to do things they would struggle to do on their own.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Rotherlea