Furze Hill House

73 Happisburgh Road, North Walsham NR28 9HD

Furze Hill House was opened in November 2007 as a purpose built Home for 40 older people. Most of the residents are from the local area and many continue to remain in touch with families, friends and the local community. It is located on the outskirts of the lovely and historic North Norfolk market town of North Walsham.

Furze Hill's mission is to provide care in a safe, secure and homely environment. The aim is to give quality care in a purpose built home, so that an individual’s physical, emotional and spiritual needs are met. Support is given to each resident whilst also encouraging their independence.

The ethos of the home is Christian and this is enhanced by having a Chaplain (ordained minister) as part of the team.

Special attention is paid to the needs of people with dementia. Staff do all they can to help those with dementia hold on to their cherished memories. Encouragement is given to residents to acquire new skills and interests as this will give a sense of purpose and quality of life, so as to maintain mental, physical and spiritual health and well being.

All the bedrooms are single and en-suite and have views of the gardens, the surrounding woods or across the open fields towards Happisburgh.

Outside, the home has pleasant gardens, patios, seating areas and an ‘all weather’ gazebo. There are some raised beds where residents can grow vegetables.

The Home employs an activities co-ordinator who compiles a programme of weekly activities. These include board games, puzzles, crafts, skittles, film shows, reminiscence, quizzes and gardening. Daily activities are posted on the Home’s notice board. Residents are invited to be involved in what they want to do with their activity time. Throughout the year there is a regular programme of choirs, musicians, dancers and other entertainment.

Group: The Salvation Army

Person in charge: Jodie Hemmings (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Norfolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Speech Impairment • Visual Impairment

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £672 – £756 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Furze Hill House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Smoking not permitted • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Welcome visitors any time of the day, However please avoid meal times which are from 0830 - 0930 , 1230-1330, 1630-1730
Family & friends able to come and have lunch with there loved one at anytime

Parking is available on site

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Furze Hill House: click here

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Furze Hill House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 9 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Furze Hill House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.813 for Furze Hill House is calculated as follows: ( (88 Excellents x 5) + (18 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 107 Ratings = 4.813

The 4.875 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Furze Hill House is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.875

9.7 Furze Hill House has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.688) from 9 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Furze Hill House?

Reviewer Connection to Furze Hill House

My mum has been at Furze Hill for just over a year. She has flourished with the care provided - her mobility has improved as has her general wellbeing. The staff are wonderful - I witness lots of interaction with residents when I visit and mum clearly likes them very much. There are lots of activities for residents to join in with which is great, and the bedrooms are all spacious with en-suite shower rooms. I haven't been present at mealtimes but mum assures me that she enjoys the food and has lots to eat! It's a big weight off my mind to know mum is safe and well cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

Aaron Bellward, Head of Care at Furze Hill House responded to this review on 08 May 2018:

Thanks for your kind comments Christine. It's a pleasure to care for Mum.

It would be difficult to find a better care facility than Furze Hill. I did visit a considerable number of care homes prior to choosing Furze. The management team here are friendly and efficient and are always available to discuss any of the problems that inevitably arise with dementia patients. The care staff are superb. Nothing is too much trouble and the commitment and kindness that they show to residents and relatives is so reassuring. We still have the occasional hitch with hearing aids that go missing or not fitted correctly. Overall excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

Furze Hill is a lovely, bright modern home. Kept at a very high standard by the housekeeping team. In the past three years my mum has lived there it always smells fresh and there are usually fresh flowers around, which makes it feel very homely when visiting.
The staff are friendly and a cheerful bunch, who care for the residents with respect and warmth. The rooms are bright and modern, with good quality fittings. They are a really good size, with large walk in shower rooms in them all. The soft furnishings have recently been replaced, and residents were asked to choose fabric designs they liked for their rooms, which I thought was lovely. There are lovely views from most rooms over the gardens or countryside, and many quiet areas to sit. I would highly recommend this home,as I know my mum is safe, warm and well looked after at a time in her life when failing health make life very difficult for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

Lovely, bright, warm and welcoming home. Staff second to none. Made to feel very welcome when I visit my friend. Management very friendly, always greeted with a smile. Rooms very spacious and large.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

My wife was a resident of Furze Hill House for one year and the attention and care was excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

When I go into the home to visit my friend, the staff are very welcoming and friendly and I think that the activities and entertainment provided for the residents is excellent. The place is always very clean and my friend's room is always tidy, with good facilities that support her needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Likely

Aaron Bellward, Head of care at Furze Hill House responded to this review on 16 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments.

My husband has been part of the Furze Hill family for over six months now. During this time he has blossomed in the loving care and attention of the staff team.
He is very settled and seems extremely happy in this environment.
The bedrooms are large and bright and the food/drink is prolific and varied.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

Aaron Bellward, Head of care at Furze Hill House responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thanks for your kind comments.

Mother seems very happy. Place is always clean and tidy. Mum joins in as much as able as she is blind, this sometimes is difficult. She enjoys quizzes and bus journeys out and singers/musicians. The carers are always kind and helpful. She mostly likes the food. The reason she sometimes does not is because of nausea, not to do with the food.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Extremely Likely

The home is light and airy. All the rooms are spacious and have a view over the gardens or countryside. The staff are kind and caring and take an interest in individuals. There are activities every afternoon for those who want to join in and trips out. A comfortable, happy and friendly home.

How likely would you be to recommend Furze Hill House? Likely

Aaron Bellward, Head of care at Furze Hill House responded to this review on 25 Jan 2017:

Thanks for such a lovely review!

Submit a Review for Furze Hill House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Furze Hill House

Diana Bennetts

Job Title: Chaplain

Joined: 2013

My name is Major Diana Bennetts and I am a Salvation Army Officer (Minister of Religion). I was ordained in 1996. I have been in my role at Furze Hill House as Chaplain since July 2013. My previous experience has been as a Corps Officer, (Church Leader)

As Chaplain I aim to accommodate people’s spiritual needs this includes more than organised faith based activities. I enjoy coming alongside the residents just to chat or assist them if needed in any activities they might be involved in. I have what is termed as a ‘presence’ ministry, which means that I am here as needed.

In my role as Chaplain I am privileged to be included by families and friends when their loved ones reach the end of their life to offer time to talk, pray if requested and very often I will conduct the funeral service.

I hold a Prayer time each week day at 10.15am and on a Sunday at 11.15am. These times alternate between the main lounge and Mildred Duff Chapel. I will also organise visits from clergy coming from different denominations if requested. A bi-monthly Communion service is held in the Chapel.

I am also the treasure for the ‘Friends of Furze Hill House’. I look after the shop and café in the home which is part of the Friends fund raising efforts, along with coffee mornings, Easter, summer and Christmas fayres. All funds raised go towards something for the residents.

Aaron Bellward

Job Title: Head of care

Joined: 2012

I started working at Furze Hill House in 2012 as a member of agency and jumped at the chance to have a full time job there as a care assistant, after a few years I then became a Team Leader and have now progressed to the Head of Care position working closely alongside the Manager and Team Leaders. I thoroughly enjoy my job. I have been working in the care sector for over 10 years and have completed many training course and hold both my NVQ 2 & 3, I am currently working towards my Level 5!
The residents at Furze Hill House are my main priority to ensure they receive the best possible care whilst maintaining their Independence and dignity.
At Furze Hill we have such a wonderful relationship with families, friends and outside professionals. It such a pleasure to work in a lovely warm friendly home.

Sally

Sally Mynhardt

Job Title: Team Leader

Joined: 2015

I am the newest member of the management team at Furze Hill House, After a year working as a care assistant and completing all the relevant training, I am now a team leader.
I previously worked in the theatre at the Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital, I also hold a qualification in sign language.
The residents that reside here at Furze Hill House are so important to me and being able to deliver a person-centred care approach which recognises peoples wishes, needs & preferences which enables us to provide a care that is tailor-made to suit any individual.

Liz Metcalf

Job Title: Acting Team Leader / Carer

Joined: 2015

I am an experienced carer looking after the elderly, I have achieved numerous qualifications including my NVQ 2 in Health & Social Care.
My job role is to provide each resident with personal centred care regardless of their age, ability, creed, religion or sexual orientation. I give my besty ability whilst at work and provide the highest possible care I can.

Hayley Taylor

Job Title: Care Assistant

Joined: 2011

Hi Im Hayley, I have been working as a care assistant at Furze Hill House for 5 years, The care team at Furze Hill ensure that all residents needs, wishes and preferences are met, respecting individuality & dignity at all times.
I have various qualifications including my NVQ health & Social care level 2 & 3

Jill Mills

Job Title: Care Assistant

Joined: 2010

I am an experienced carer that has attained numerous qualifications as well as my NVQ 2&3 in health & social care. My job role is to give personal centered care to a range of residents with differing abilities & needs.
Our home has achieved the Gold Standard Framework and we aim to give the best end of life care to each individual and meet their wishes and preferences.

Debbie Dale

Job Title: General Assistants Supervisor

Joined: 2015

I have been a general assistants supervisor at Furze Hill for 2.5 years, I have secretarial qualifications and also a diploma in hotel management, I spent a year as a trainee manager at 2 sister hotels in norwich with a view in either running my own B&B or becoming a hotel inspector,However over the next few years i was blessed with 3 beautiful daughters and whilst they were growing up i worked as a personal assistant and then as an office administrator for an estate agents this was before opening my own coffee shop which i had for 5 years before coming to Furze Hill, I live in North Walsham with my partner, Some of my hobbies include Crochet, Knitting , Reading, Gardening and watching films (not horrors)
My job role involves overseeing the cleaning of the home to a very high standard, this also includes the laundering of residents clothing and bedding to a very high standard. I train, supervise and appraise a team of 7 General Assistants and am there to advise and support them as and when needed. On a weekly basis i carry out a cleaning audit to ensure that the cleaning standards are being met, I also allocate on the cleaning rota which staff member will be cleaning certain areas since i have been in my position i have completed a QCF level 2 in healthcare support services. I am passionate about my job and love to be involved wherever i can and have just joined the friends committee of the home which organises fund raising events

Terry Street

Job Title: Handy Person / Gardener

Joined: 2013

I have been employed at Furze Hill House as the handy person / Gardener since feb 2013 , I undertake all the maintenance in the building and also ensure the gardens are kept nice for the residents. I enjoy my work knowing i've made a nice environment for our residents here at Furze Hill House.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Furze Hill House