The Martins, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk

The Martins is situated in the pleasant town of Bury St Edmunds and welcomes up to forty-two occupants, specialising in the challenges adults diagnosed with dementia face.

A service that prides itself on both friendliness and professionalism, The Martins has a strong reputation within the local community that carers look to live up to through regularly updated and person-centred care packages.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 42 Service Users

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Spanish; Castilian, Polish

Facilities & Services: Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Martins: click here

8.6 The Martins has a Review Score of 8.6 (8.556)

The Review Score of 8.6 (maximum of 10) for The Martins is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Martins in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.9 out of 5 from 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.699 for The Martins is calculated as follows: ( (60 Excellents x 5) + (21 Goods x 4) + (2 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 83 Ratings = 4.699

The 3.857 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Martins is based on 3 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.5

2. Target of 8.4 positive Reviews (42 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 3 Reviews ÷ 8.4 Target = 0.357

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Martins?

Reviewer Connection to The Martins

My Father has been there for just over 1 month. In this time we have found that the well-being of my Father is top of the list with the staff. He has had some health issues which have been dealt with in an excellent manner by the staff who have also kept us fully informed throughout.
My Father was very apprehensive when first moved to the care home but since he has been there, he is very content and more than happy with his care and how he is being looked after in general. I would recommend this facility to anyone who is thinking of using it.

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

Liz Fleming, Home Manager at The Martins responded to this review on 18 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your feedback. I am so pleased to hear that your Father feels settled at The Martins and is happy and content. Your comments are important to us and I will ensure that they are shared with our team.

My mother arrived in January of this year.
We moved her from her own home which was isolated and hard to find the 24-hour care we needed for her.
We were full of trepidation but she has settled far better than we could have hoped.
She loves the community life of The Martins' - the singing and socialising in particular.
Staff are wonderful with her and she glows!

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

Liz Fleming, Home Manager at The Martins responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding The Martins.
I am so pleased that your Mother is glowing!
I will ensure that your feedback is shared with our team.
Thank you.

I am well cared for and nothing seems too much trouble for the staff. I had lived independently for many years and although difficult at first I settled in quite quickly thanks to the very comfortable facilities and the wonderful staff at The Martins.

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

Liz Fleming, Home Manager at The Martins responded to this review on 26 May 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Martins. I am so pleased that you are well cared for and have now settled in well. I will share you feedback with the staff team. Thank you.

My mother was a resident for 18 months from March 2015 to 19th November 2016. She was well enough to choose her care home and she enjoyed 18 months of wonderful happy care during that time. The staff were wonderful and treated all their residents with individuality and so much thought for their needs. The activities were well executed and every visit I made to my mother were so happy.

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

Liz Fleming, Home Manager at The Martins responded to this review on 23 Dec 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience of The Martins. I am so pleased to hear that your Mother had a wonderful 18 months at the Martins. I will ensure that your feedback is shared with our staff team.

My mother's needs have been catered for and as her condition has declined the home has been very pro-active in responding. They have liaised brilliantly with the doctor's surgery and hospital. In fact they have 'forced' the hospital services to be more helpful. The staff have been excellent and respond well to my mother and we have always been treated with courtesy and in a most friendly, welcoming and helpful manner.

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

The carers dealing with my mother are always exceptionally professional. They have infinite patience, however frustrating my mother becomes. I have nothing but admiration for them. When speaking to mum they are always positive and encouraged in an effort to encourage her to live as full and satisfying life as she can. I am also pleased with the fact that carers and management are generally free to speak to me at short notice. A very friendly and welcoming environment.

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

Liz Fleming, Home Manager at The Martins responded to this review on 23 May 2016:

Thank you for your kinds comments regarding The Martins. It is great to hear your feedback about the exceptional team we have at The Martins and that they encourage your Mum to continue to live a full and satisfying life. Your feedback is important to us and I will ensure that it shared with the team. Thank you.

We visited many care home in our search for a "new family" to support us care for mum. As soon as we entered The Martins we were welcomed by caring, friendly staff who were genuinely interested in hearing about mum. We could see happy and active residents and the atmosphere was relaxed and has a "warmth". Mum is now resident and has settled well to a new part of the country and to a new situation she did not expect to find herself in, that is due to the care, professional and support of everyone who works there.

How likely would you be to recommend The Martins? Extremely Likely

Liz Fleming, Home Manager at The Martins responded to this review on 23 Mar 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your experience of The Martins. I am so pleased to hear that the atmosphere at the Home as been happy and relaxed with the staff taking the time to get to know you and your Mum. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Submit a Review for The Martins

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for The Martins

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Martins