Blackwood House

Roskear, Camborne TR14 8BA

Blackwood House provides tailored care to suit individual needs, welcoming long-term residential requirement and able to specialise in the challenges of dementia care.

A safe and secure facilities benefits from scenic surroundings that carers support residents to make the most of. Clients are welcome to personalise their environment to enhance its homeliness.

All care professionals have extensive training and are fully resources to achieve their potential.

Group: Cornwall Care Ltd

Person in charge: Annette Russell (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Cornwall Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 46 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability

Fees information:

All our fees are tailored dependant on the resident's needs, which are provided through a free assessment and can be discussed on a person by person basis. We understand everyone is unique and we feel this person centred approach reflects this.

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile

Provide care 24 hours a day - 7 days a week and if you would like to visit a family member outside of normal houses, this can be arranged with the homes manager, Blackwood House do not resist visit to certain hours of the day, after all this is their home.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Blackwood House: click here

The Review Score of 8.7 (maximum of 10) for Blackwood House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Blackwood House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.198 for Blackwood House is calculated as follows: ( (34 Excellents x 5) + (32 Goods x 4) + (12 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 81 Ratings = 4.198

The 4.543 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Blackwood House is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.2 positive Reviews (46 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 9.2 Target = 0.543

8.7 Blackwood House has a Review Score of 8.7 (8.741) from 7 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Blackwood House?

Reviewer Connection to Blackwood House

Recently I have become a lot more pleased with the attention and treatment that my nan has received. I think this is all down to the hard work of the new management. I feel a lot more confident and comfortable when leaving my nan there, which is a lot different to how I used to feel when leaving her. Thank you for improving the place and making me feel happy about where she is.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Likely

All the staff are very friendly, caring and patient. This reassuring as I only get down to Cornwall once a month. Also, they keep us informed of any developments or changes, which makes you feel involved even though you cant be there.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Extremely Likely

My mum wasn't a pleasant lady, to me, it was very upsetting what she said to me.
But since being at Blackwood House she is now my mum again, a lovely gentle lady. The carers are so lovely to her, talk to her and pop in regularly. The food is good I even have my Sunday lunch with her now! Cleanliness, laundry is very good and on entering the home there are no smells which can be the case in certain homes.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Extremely Likely

Blackwood House is 400 miles from my home so I only get to visit my mother about six times a year. I never notify the home when I am coming as I like to see things they are. My mother is always clean and well dressed, particular attention is taken to ensure that her clothes are co-ordinated and include extra touches like matching scarves or hair accessories staff are always kind, caring and patient. Mum is as settled and contented as she can be given her condition.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Extremely Likely

My mum came here in March 2017 from hospital. She was confused and nasty at times but now she is my mum again - so happy.

Everyone from the cleaners, cooks, carers, management and anyone I miss, have made a big difference. They are so dedicated, I had to think twice as I was told it wasn't too good, but how wrong people are.
I fully recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Extremely Likely

Putting mum into a home was the hardest decision we as a family have had to make. I visited a few homes and even had Mum stay in one. It didn't work out - Mum was very unhappy, which in turn upset us all. Finding Blackwood House has been a weight lifted off our shoulders. All the staff are very helpful and are aware of Mum's needs and really try to understand her as well as Mum understanding then, without being upset. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Extremely Likely

During the short amount of time I spent in Blackwood House I find all the staff very helpful and caring towards my father. I have no concerns over his welfare and safety there and find most of the staff easy to communicate with.

How likely would you be to recommend Blackwood House? Likely

Submit a Review for Blackwood House

Sarah Batchelor

Job Title: Vacant Manager-Interim Assistant Director of Operations

Joined: 2018

RGN, PhD, MBA, IOSH, Diploma Level 4 HR, ISO Lead Auditor and Quality 9001, 14001
30 + years in Nursing
Specialist Areas: Police/Prisons/HealthCare

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Blackwood House