Kahala Court

Embankment Road, Kingsbridge TQ7 1JN

Kahala Court combines quality care with an atmosphere of peace and tranquility, helping older people with care needs and physical frailties to achieve a satisfying daily lifestyle.

While being ideal for old age care, the residence also welcomes adults diagnosed with a form of dementia, employing carers experienced in a wide range of personal challenges.

Comfortable lounges and a conservatory are great for relaxing and the attractive grounds and views make the home a pleasing place to live and visit, while there are also excellent amenities nearby.

Group: Devon Care Group

Person in charge: Carolyn Eynon (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Devon County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 32 Service Users

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £550 – £750 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Kahala Court to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Kahala Court: click here

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Kahala Court is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.2 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Kahala Court in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.234 for Kahala Court is calculated as follows: ( (88 Excellents x 5) + (73 Goods x 4) + (30 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 197 Ratings = 4.234

The 4.938 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Kahala Court is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6.4 positive Reviews (32 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 6.4 Target = 0.938

9.2 Kahala Court has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.172) from 17 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Kahala Court?

Reviewer Connection to Kahala Court

• Cousin of Resident/Service User

Mum and dad are in Kahala Court for respite care. From the moment they arrived, they have been treated with utmost care and dignity.
The overriding impression I have gathered in the past four weels is that the home provides a caring, safe and management work in conjunction with each other to put their resident's needs first.
My parents love the staff (always fun) love the exceptional food and I am able to relax knowing that they are in a safe and happy environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

I came here to live permanently on April 18th, 2016 and settled down very quickly.
My husband had died the previous year, I am partially-sighted and had recently suffered a minor stroke and other health problems.
Up until June this year I needed no care except help with having a bath, but then I had a hip replacement.
I then needed help with dressing and undressing (socks, pants and trousers) and getting in and out of bed.
The night staff were extremely kind and helpful, also helping me on my visits to my ensuite bathroom during the night.
I have noticed that staff have endless patience with residents suffering from dementia when they have tantrum-like outbursts or refuse to take their medication etc.
We have had a new manager recently who is very good, friendly, approachable and we have had 2 helpful residents' meetings.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

Overall Kahala Court is a well run, caring and friendly home. The staff are considerate of resident's needs. The building is old and that brings its own difficulties. In particular, the heating system fails occasionally. Communications could be improved; requests and messages do not always get passed on at shift changes. Social activities are limited and those that are provided are repetitive. Residents are not taken out on trips.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Likely

I am very satisfied with the care and consideration given to Mum and our family.
Everyone makes us feel welcome and our comments are always welcomed by the management and staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

Mum and Dad have just celebrated their 70th Anniversary. As Mum is in the care home and Dad still lives at home, as a family, we came into Mum's home for the celebration. One of the staff made the cake at home the night before and another came in to help decorate the bedroom on her day off. When the cake was brought up at least 6 members of staff came up to the room with the cake. When we came back in the afternoon they came up with pots of tea for us all. They couldn't have done enough for Mum and Dad to make the day enjoyable for everyone involved.
With Dementia and the staff, I would love to hear more staff ask Mum which she would like instead of saying "do you want your tea/coffee/food etc" as Mum would always say 'No', she didn't want it, as that is what Mum would say if she was able to, because she wouldn't want to bother anybody.
I do want to say a big 'thank you' to everyone at Kahala for their assistance with Mum. It isn't easy to please everyone. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

All of the staff at Kahala Court were fantastic with me and my dad. He was only there for a short while but they were so understanding and caring. They took him on the same day, I enquired without any hesitation and made all of us feel so welcome. Nothing was ever too much for them and they were very encouraging and supportive of my father and me. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. I would recommend Kahala Court to anyone!

Sally Dyke, Director at Kahala Court responded to this review on 29 Jun 2017:

Dear Janet,
Thank you very much for your review, it means a lot to us all.

My 98 year old father has had the kindest of attention at Kahala Court. He was not an easy man to deal with but was treated with the utmost respect. The carers go out of their way to please the residents and dad thought they were kind an helpful. The home itself is beautifully maintained, very cosy and clean. It was nice to be encouraged to visit at any time I liked, nothing to hide there. His end of life care was exceptional and he passed away peacefully.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

The guilt feeling you have when encouraging your mum to go into care is overwhelming but everyone from day one, the staff, the jolly atmosphere and the general ambience of the care home, removes most of that guilt. My mum is looked after so well and always has a smile on her face when I visit. It has taken no time at all for her to feel comfortable and safe. All the anxiety and depression she has suffered over the previous 6 months has completely disappeared. I enjoy visiting every day and the staff go out of their way to make you feel at home. Even my teenage son has visited on his own and feels very comfortable.....no "old people smell" as he would say, which is testament to the efforts of the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

In my time I have visited many care homes because most of my friends have been much older than me, but may I say the Kahala ranks as one of the best. We were greeted in such a friendly and courteous way that I felt my cousin was very fortunate to be in such a lovely home and she herself has said she is being looked after beautifully. If I lived in the district and ever needed a care home I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this home.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

My mother is well looked after. They take great care of her at 95 years of age. Well done to the staff I say.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

My mother, now 96, has been at Kahala Court for 22 months. Her care has been very good but unfortunately she seems to regard it as hospital not a home. I'm sure this is her perception and is certainly not ours. She chooses to spend all the time in her room and a little more time spent with her would be appreciated although she does get a family visit every day. Overall care is very good, with no complaints.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

Kahala Court is a clean and well run care home. Good rooms in a good location and willing staff. There is lack of activities for more agile members, but this could be due to the limited staff which seems to be on going problem in the industry.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Likely

Very pleased with the care my sister was given during her stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

We are one big happy family. They are my brother and sisters. They also treat me with great care.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Extremely Likely

Overall the standard is very good and the food is excellent. Staff are excellent with the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Likely

I have been living here for 1 year and 3 months and I feel I have settled in very happily. I would recommend Kahala Court to anyone needing a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Likely

This home lacks a housekeeper with overall responsibility for domestic matters which are not always up to the standard one would hope for. The caring staff are very helpful, patient and cheerful, but often appear overworked. the laundry is a disaster area - loss and damage are frequent and one cannot submit clothes of any value to it. (My winter vest shrunk by 6").
There appears to be no one overseeing the work and checking that the ironing is being done properly. The diet is monotonous. No fresh fruit unless asked for, endless sponge puddings and custard, and any fresh vegetables (rare) are boiled to death. A good healthy salad is unknown. I don't expect Cordon Bleu cooking. I have lived here for a year, and in spite of my comments, I am very happy!

How likely would you be to recommend Kahala Court? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Submit a Review for Kahala Court

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Kahala Court

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Kahala Court