Moorhaven

Normandy Drive, Taunton TA1 2JT

Moorhaven incorporates the skills of a highly trained team to provide person-centred, tailored support to those with care needs in a comfortable and homely environment.

The home itself consists of five separate ground floor groupings, while there are also beautiful walled gardens. Bedrooms have a nurse call system, and residents have access to IT facilities and Wi-Fi so that they can keep in touch with family and friends who may not live nearby. An Activities Coordinator ensures there is always something to do.

Group: Somerset Care

Person in charge: Lorraine Lock (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Somerset County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 54 Service Users

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £550 – £820 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Moorhaven to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Moorhaven: click here

Overview of Review Score

The Review Score of 9.4 out of 10 for Moorhaven is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Moorhaven in Google's Search Results – more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 24 months.

Detailed Breakdown of Review Score

The Average Rating of 4.567 for Moorhaven is calculated as follows: ( (120 Excellents x 5) + (75 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 201 Ratings = 4.567

• b) 5 Points are available for the number of Positive Reviews in the last 24 months. If there are no Positive Reviews in the last 24 months, then 2.5 points are available for the number of Positive Reviews in the last 48 months. A Positive Review is defined as any Review with 'Extremely Likely' or 'Likely' in answer to the question 'How likely are you to recommend this care provider to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment?'

1. 4 points are available for the first 5 Positive Reviews; 3.00 points for the first Positive Review, and then 0.25 Points for each of the next 4 Positive Reviews.

3. If there are no Positive Reviews in the last 24 months, then 2.5 points are available for the number of Positive Reviews in the last 48 months. The calculation is the same as above, except the points are divided by 2.

The 4.83 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Moorhaven is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 24 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3.00 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 4

2. Target of 10.8 positive Reviews (54 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 10.8 Target = 0.833

9.4 Moorhaven has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.397) out of 10 and an Average Rating of 4.6 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Moorhaven?

Reviewer Connection to Moorhaven

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

He is well looked after even though he has dementia.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Likely

My mum moved to Moorhaven at 2 hours notice from hospital; she is leaving today after 22 weeks to go to Extra Care Housing. As a family, we could not have wished for a better experience. The manager and staff have gone above and beyond every day to treat Mum with dignity and kindness. She has her challenges, a preference for nakedness being one of them, but this has always been dealt with professionally, discretely and with initiative, negating any potential embarrassment to family and other residents. Moorhaven is spotless and does not smell; it is run in a way which should be the "gold standard" for care homes. We have always felt welcome and our input valued, good communication is key. It is extremely reassuring to know that Mum's progress with personal care, meals, daily activities and any concerns are recorded in a daily log to support her care. I have rung and turned up randomly. My mum is always presentable and content, something sadly we could not manage, here she is safe, " it's as good as it gets".

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

My uncle moved in fives weeks prior to my visit. He has settled in well and has been able to surround himself with all his personal items that man so much to him. The home is beautifully clean, welcoming and the staff are always kind, polite and give everyone the time that they need.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Likely

My dad has been in Moorhaven care home for a few months. As a family we feel so fortunate to have got him a place in such a super care home. The staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble. Always friendly and keen to help. The manager runs this care home so very well. It is clean, bright and all residents appear to be so happy. They take the residents out on trips on a regular basis. They took time in putting lovely Xmas decorations up.

Lorraine Lock, Manager at Moorhaven responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

We are very happy to receive such a lovely review. Everyone at Moorhaven strives to deliver a high standard of care and we are grateful that it is recognised by our residents' loved ones, Thankyou!

Excellent care home with friendly caring staff. A home from home atmosphere. Good food and well organised activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

As a family, we cannot express our gratitude to Moorhaven enough in words. This home offers just that - "a home". The dignity and care the whole team have offered has been beyond belief and Taunton should be proud to have such a wonderful home as Moorhaven. Our Mum wanted to end her life in Moorhaven as she felt safe and loved. Every member of staff was fantastic. We had such a battle with the surgery and doctors and the management team all acted as advocates when we lost our strength. Even at the funeral, they ensured the residents had the chance to attend which mum would have loved. The physical and mental support given was outstanding and we are so thankful.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

My mother has gone into Moorhaven for respite, it was just for two weeks and what a change in her I see. She has that sparkle back in her eyes, I have just asked her if she would like another two weeks here and straight away she said yes, as I'm not lonely here.
Staff are absolutely lovely towards my mother, and I thank them very much for all their help.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

My mother came here just two weeks ago and in that short time is looking and seeming so very much better. She says she is happy here and likes the staff who do not "fuss" her, which is what she likes. From having insisted she wanted always to be in her own home she now wants to stay here. I think she has been given a new enjoyment of life, all thanks to the kind caring people she has looking after her and company of others.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

My mother was moved to Moorhaven at very short notice in May 2016. We have been very pleased with her care. She has dementia but is happy there and all the staff are very friendly and helpful. We have had no worries about her since she moved in and have heard only good and positive things from other people.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

My sister was a resident at Moorhaven for 6 years and was happy there. The staff were always attentive and caring, they were sorry to see her leave to be transferred to an EMI unit.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

Since moving to Moorhaven my father has been much happier both mentally and physically. His medical needs have been addressed as soon as they have arisen and his general well being very much improved. Overall his needs are certainly met and he is very happy with the service provided.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

I visit my sister around every six weeks and always have a friendly welcome on arrival at the security door, having signed the visitors register. I find the atmosphere is relaxed and cheerful, the staff are helpful. Moorhaven has a central control hub leading from there are the units of accommodation, bed sitting rooms, each unit has a common room and dining area, looking out on the garden. The decor is bright and cheerful each unit having it's own colour scheme and theme. The gardens are beautifully kept and there is provision for individual garden plots for the more active resident. There is a healthy programme of social activities covering arts, music and workshops. I often stay to dinner, the food is prepared on site and is of a high standard with generous helpings. The management team are always on hand to answer any queries.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

Moorhaven have been caring for my Grandma over the past 3 years and during this time she has been happy and very well looked after. The staff at Moorhaven are always kind, positive and thoughtful. They constantly engage with my Grandma which I'm sure has contributed to her strength and well-being to date. I enjoy visiting my Gran as she and the staff are always in good spirit! Well done Moorhaven, keep up the awesome work.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

Ever since my mum has been a resident at Moorhaven (3 years) the staff without exception have been excellent with her.

She has Dementia and has had her fair share of chest /urine infections/falls, the staff have always been very quick in contacting the GP's and myself and dealing with the situation very efficiently.

Whenever myself or my family visit we are always made to feel very welcome and it is evident that Mum is always clean and well looked after.
In the past few weeks Mum's health has deteriorated and she is back at Moorhaven for end of life care and I am so pleased with the care and attention that my Mum is receiving - nothing has been too much trouble.

I would recommend Moorhaven to ANYBODY - The manager and her team are amongst the kindest people I have ever met.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

My mother spent nearly six years at Moorhaven. Sadly she passed away on 3/9/2015. Mum was very happy at Moorhaven, she was well cared for and loved by staff at the home. We were always kept up to date on mum's condition. I cannot stress enough the thanks we have for all the staff, always helpful, nothing too much trouble. They were there for mum at the end.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Extremely Likely

Months ago I started viewing care homes in view of my husband's decline in health and put our names down because of the large waiting lists for places. More recently with more vicious turns and an admission to an assessment unit, it was confirmed he needed more care than I could manage. As I was in the security of Moorhaven one day I called in to make an appointment to view at their convenience, and was welcomed in and shown around. I had another place viewing booked, which I was advised to go ahead with and did so confirmed my choice of Moorhaven.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorhaven? Likely

I would like people to know how pleased I am about Moorhaven care home. My mum, with Vascular dementia goes to Moorhaven for a weeks respite each month. She enjoys being there and I feel the staff have really spent time getting to know mum and endeavour to make her stay as pleasant as possible. When the time comes for full time care I have no hesitation in deciding that this is where I would like her to be.

Submit a Review for Moorhaven

Please provide your details as we may contact you to verify this review. The review MUST be input and submitted by you, using your own personal email address (the email of the care provider will not be accepted). Reviews cannot be submitted anonymously. Your details may be passed to the care provider or to its service provider handling reviews but not to any other third party. They will not be published.

Your review must be about a service provided within the last 12 months.

posted 15 Apr 2019

2 rooms on the first floor are spacious, bright and have a double aspect overlooking the gardens, both have ensuite facilities. 1 room on the ground floor bright, airy and newly refurbished overlooking the courtyard garden.

Recipient: Somerset Care