Laverstock Care Centre, Salisbury, Wiltshire

Laverstock Care Centre is located in the heart of the magnificent cathedral city of Salisbury and provides residential, specialist nursing and dementia care for up to 80 older ladies and gentleman in a state of the art home. Laverstock is designed to deliver the very highest standards of care.

In providing three distinct types of care under one roof, Laverstock Care Centre is ideally positioned to deliver a true care pathway. As a resident's care needs change, Laverstock is equipped to meet those needs, ensuring that residents are able to remain within the community they have become an integral part of.

The home is spacious, light, airy and modern with a friendly and dedicated staff team and offers diverse and varied activities programme with a dedicated activities co-ordinator on site at the home.

As with all aspects of the home, the likes, dislikes and opinions of residents are taken into consideration when planning events and activities. Residents' hobbies and interests are encouraged and can continue once they come to live at Laverstock.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Helen Pessell (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 80 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Laverstock Care Centre: click here

posted 24 May 2017

Please call 0808 223 5520 for further information about current Bed Vacancies at Laverstock Care Centre.

8.3 Laverstock Care Centre has a Review Score of 8.3 (8.292)

The Review Score of 8.3 (maximum of 10) for Laverstock Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Laverstock Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4 out of 5 from 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.292 for Laverstock Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (34 Excellents x 5) + (47 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 89 Ratings = 4.292

The 4 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Laverstock Care Centre is based on 4 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 + 0.25 + 0.25 = 3.75

2. Target of 16 positive Reviews (80 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 4 Reviews ÷ 16 Target = 0.250

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Laverstock Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Laverstock Care Centre

• Partner of Resident/Service User

My mother broke her femur and had to have bed rest for 13 weeks.
The whole team at Laverstock Care Centre Salisbury were superb in rising to challenges my mother faced.
On returning from a three day stay in hospital she received a very warm welcome back and said that she was pleased to be home!
Individual care support staff went above and beyond to make her life as comfortable as possible during this difficult time.
Although confined to her room, staff made every effort to talk to her; some staff visiting her in their breaks (whilst working on other floors in the home) and on occasions a carer was allocated to spend time with her in her room.
I know that this greatly helped to lessen any feeling of isolation and I have no doubt enabled her to recover in the way that she has.
I cannot thank all the care staff enough for their kindness and dedication.

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The professional dedication shown by all services within Laverstock Care Centre is of the highest standard. The patient and partner are given equal measures of respect and support. The level of care, kindness and compassion are ongoing with any concerns or inquiries met with immediate response. In addition, communication between each of the services is excellent, all of which is communicated to the concerned relative. All services work as a team with many individuals displays their dedication. On a personal level, I have no hesitation in praising every member of staff for their professionalism and dedication under extremely difficult circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The administrator showed me around Laverstock care home last August when I needed to put my dad in for respite. I was so impressed with the way she explained everything, that when it was time for dad to become a full-time resident, there was no question of dad going to a different home. I see the administrator on a regular basis at the home as she is helpful, positive and nothing is any trouble for her.

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I felt at home immediately because of the warmth of my reception. I had suffered a fall, tripping on a raised edge of a paving stone and felt very shaken. I relaxed at once because of the calm and happy atmosphere. At no time when I needed advice or help was there any hesitation in giving it. I was there for only one week while I recovered, and when I left, I felt that the permanent residents were fortunate people.

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Likely

I was in Laverstock Care Centre for 4 days only to allow my wife some respite from looking after me whilst she visited our twin granddaughters at university. The care/support was generally first rate. My only criticism were:
1) The slippery shiny brown satin bedspread which was a pain to keep tidy, necessitating a lot of walking round to straighten it after it had been sat upon.
2) Of the housekeeper who tore around the room tidying up and putting my toilet things on a low shelf beneath the lavatory systern, virtually out of reach and i cannot reach below my knees. (I found this out after she had left)
3) Another problem was the difficulty of creaming my itchy back. It would have liked to have been asked if i wanted any help here. I treated the whole visit as an exercise in self sufficiency and was disappointed to find i failed here.
4) I found there was no wi-fi, although the website said there was
5) Additionally the phone was put in on the 3rd (Thank heavens for mobiles!)

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Likely

My mother was encouraged and supported to make the naturally difficult transition to residential care. The nursing staff/carers were excellent and treated her with dignity, professionalism, good humour and affection. I was always welcomed and included which also helped me accept that this was where my mother would be best helped and happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Staff shortages impact quality of care. Barry and his team are fantastic with residents. At times food at meal times seems minimal. Residents due to staff shortages are having to wait to be taken to the loo. All staff are very friendly to both residents and visitors. Where satisfactory given this would be higher if the staffing was at the level of three at all times, seems to be two more often than three!!

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Likely

Helen Pessell, Home Manager at Laverstock Care Centre responded to this review on 23 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Laverstock Care Centre, we really appreciate your feedback. At Laverstock we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities and providing outstanding choices and quality produce when creating a healthy and varied menu, meeting the needs of every resident’s individual dietary requirements. To ensure we continually meet these standards we can arrange a meeting with our Chef to discuss meal choices. We regularly run recruitment campaigns to build our care team, thus ensuring they are able to provide person centred care and spend valuable time with our residents, and we are pleased to confirm we have made robust improvements in this regard. We welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

I was very well looked after, food was good. Sometimes members of staff were laughing very loudly at 3-4 in the morning. Woke me up and could not get back to sleep.
Sometimes the liaison between night staff and day staff was not good ie. orders for porridge and toast were not passed on.

How likely would you be to recommend Laverstock Care Centre? Likely

Sarah Scott, Marketing Executive at Laverstock Care Centre responded to this review on 10 Nov 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to review Laverstock Care Centre, we really appreciate your feedback. At Laverstock we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities. We have listened to your feedback and spoken with the night staff and are currently improving the handover between night and day staff to ensure the experience during this time is of the highest quality. We always welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

Submit a Review for Laverstock Care Centre

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

December 2016

Helen

Helen Pessell

Joined: 2012

During my 34 years in nursing I have specialised in the care of older people and have a wide range of experience, including caring for people with a range of neurological conditions.

I have always strived to make a difference to the lives of those I care for and place the wishes of residents at the heart of the care we provide at Laverstock Care Centre. Our tightly-knit Care Team work with each resident to develop a personalised care plan, which caters for their specific needs and ensures that residents have choice and control over how their care is delivered.

Within my role, I take particular pleasure from getting to know residents and their families. I feel that having a good understanding of each resident’s background is essential in building a relationship of trust. I encourage family involvement through a culture of open communication, which has resulted in the friendly, welcoming atmosphere experienced at Laverstock Care Centre.

I live just a few miles away and, in my spare time, I play an active role in the local community. I serve as a School Governor and support a number of local charities and church organisations.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Laverstock Care Centre