Kendal House, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear

Kendal House is a small care home with a focus on a homely atmosphere, welcoming both respite and permanent stays and supporting an independent daily lifestyle.

Care plans consider the individuality of each client, which includes making sure there is access to the activities and interests that suit them.

All meals are home-cooked, nutritious and the chef takes account of personal likes and interests. There is good access to related health services and therapies.

Owner: Kendal Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Angela Oliver (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 24 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Old Age

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £520 – £560 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £520 – £560 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Kendal House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Kendal House: click here

9.9 Kendal House has a Review Score of 9.9 (9.904)

The Review Score of 9.9 (maximum of 10) for Kendal House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 13 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Kendal House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.904 for Kendal House is calculated as follows: ( (141 Excellents x 5) + (15 Goods x 4) ) ÷ 156 Ratings = 4.904

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Kendal House is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 4.8 positive Reviews (24 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 4.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Kendal House?

Reviewer Connection to Kendal House

Selecting a care home for someone we love is a great responsibility. After a lot of investigation, I decided on Kendal House for my mother. Later, as carer for my mother in law, I was more than happy for her to take up residence at Kendal. This lovely small, friendly home is second to none, it provides a safe, secure environment where everyone is treated with respect and kindness. The staff are all wonderful with the residents and are so welcoming to their visitors. Food plays a very important part of people's day and the very varied meals and snacks ensure a lot of satisfied residents. In the words of the song 'It's simply the best'

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been living in Kendal House for several years.
She is happy there and on every occasion I have contact with her either by phone or visiting I am impressed by the high standard of care she receives.
The staff are always kind and considerate with a good knowledge of my mother's likes and her vulnerabilities.
There is an excellent range of activities for residents both in the local community and within the home.

Trevor Dunn, Director at Kendal House responded to this review on 21 Apr 2017:

We are delighted with your review and thank you for taking the time. We print these off and put them on the staff notice board - it gives a boost to everyone.

From the moment we met the staff in Kendal house, we just knew it was the right place for our mum. On a spur of the moment visit, the home was clean, bright and the staff were friendly and attentive to the residents.

Each time we visit, there is a different activity going on to keep the residents entertained, we particularly like that no one is ever sitting alone they are always together in the lounge chatting, watching TV or taking part in an activity.

Since moving mum there, we feel comfortable in our decision to place her in their care.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

Following an unexpected change in family circumstances, my Grandma required some respite care.
I was very apprehensive about the situation but having visited Kendal House my fears were allayed.
Kendal House is a bright and welcoming home from home and the staff are outstanding.
Grandma has thrived since arriving, thoroughly enjoying the social aspects and activities provided and having lived alone for 30 years, loves to have interaction with staff and residents.
Grandma's health and general demeanour have vastly improved with the excellent care and eating well-balanced meals with others around her.
Grandma and our immediate family are so impressed with Kendal House that we've made the decision to change a short term stay into a permanent one.
Words can't express the gratitude we all feel for Angela (manager), the owners, and the wonderfully experienced staff who have provided care and support to my Grandma but also to us at what had been a difficult time.
I highly recommend Kendal House.

Trevor Dunn, Director at Kendal House responded to this review on 04 Apr 2017:

Thank you so much for your very kind review. It is very reassuring for us and it's nice for the staff to know their hard work has been recognised. It is our pleasure to have your grandmother with us.

I was really worried about putting my mum into care but Kendal House has been brilliant. The staff are so friendly to us and very caring and helpful to my mum. She has settled in so quickly and enjoys the whole experience.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My dad has been in Kendal House for two years and is extremely well looked after. He is always clean, tidy and well dressed. He is happy, relaxed and believes he is in his own house. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. My dads dementia makes him difficult to handle at times but the staff deal with this very well and offer him lots of support. They are also very considerate and supportive to myself and my family.

Trevor Dunn, Director at Kendal House responded to this review on 09 Mar 2017:

We all thank you for your kind words.

I have been going to Kendal House for nearly two years, I take a lady to visit her husband.
The staffs are so helpful and friendly, such happy home like going from home to home.
Everyone is so happy and always clean. Nothing any bother.
Well done for first class home and fab caring owner, manager and staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Kendal House for 3 months now. We quickly had to find a new care home as her previous one closed down and Kendal House had 2 vacancies only, so we had to act quickly. Since my mother has moved in, she seems much happier. She likes the staff, who treat all the residents with compassion and sense of humour. The home itself is very clean and being like a large house it is very friendly. The staff are very welcoming and encouraging. Relatives can visit and help out at any time. The residents enjoy the organised entertainment and trips out. My mother is enjoying all her food, freshly cooked on site and has put weight on since her arrival. All in all, a lovely home.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My 93 year old mother needed to have respite for 3 weeks. I visited several care homes within the Whitley Bay area and as soon as I entered Kendal House I had a very good feeling about it's atmosphere. I had an open invite, so I turned up unannounced and found the staff were most welcoming and the residents engaged in a sing-song with the visiting organist.
The manager has been in charge since the opening, she has a lovely rapport with the residents and staff, whom are mature and love the job they are doing. The meals are all fresh and prepared on site, in the open-plan kitchen, by the chef, who again is a people person.

To see if my mother was of the same opinion, she was invited for her lunch and tea free of charge. Fortunately she loved the atmosphere, food etc. and decided to go to Kendal House, she has now returned home and would return without any problems, which makes it easier for me knowing that she is happy in a safe environment. Well done and a big thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My 94 year old mother was a resident at Kendal House for 3.5 years until her death on 16 July. Throughout her time there she received a very high standard of care. The staff are led my an excellent manager. Both the manager and her colleagues were friendly, caring, compassionate and understanding towards my mother's needs. During her residency her behaviour was occasionally challenging because of Alzheimers. Nevertheless during these periods the manager and her colleagues were throughout professional, balanced and showed that they did not just have the needs of my mother to consider, but also the needs of other residents.
The care home, because of its size provides a homely atmosphere for the residents. I was always impressed by the cleanliness of the communal rooms, toilets and my mother's bedroom. An excellent activities coordinator ensures that the residents are mentally and physically stimulated. The food is excellent. Overall a superb care home, Manager and staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

I would like to recommend Kendal House to anyone looking to move into residential care.
My mum and Dad moved into Kendak House about 18 months ago.
Unfortunately my mum died a few months ago and my father recently became ill and has moved into nursing care.
During this time all the staff have been dedicated, committed, compassionate, knowledgeable, friendly and caring.
The care they give is of a very high standard.
The staff are knowledgeable and understand the issues relating to individual residents.
The staff have good communication skills and when telephoning with worrying news communicate calmly, with compassion and thoughtfulness.
The food is home cooked are really good especially the cakes.
The rooms bathrooms and kitchen are spotless.
Kendal House has been a huge part of our lives and I would like to say a very big thank you to all the wonderful staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My mom was a resident of Kendal House for about four years until she recently passed away. The care and compassion that mom received from all the staff was exemplary. My Mom was the only remaining family member living in England as we had all emigrated to Canada some 42 years ago. The staff at Kendal welcomed my Mom with open arms and she became an extended member of their family.

The staff went above and beyond any of my expectations, with staff members buying small gifts or even brining in a small Xmas tree into her room over the holidays. I was also very grateful that Kendal House were agreeable in my Mom receiving Palliative Care in their facility as it would have been very stressful for my Mom to be placed in a hospital near the end of her life. Words cannot express how grateful for their kind and compassionate care.

They truly were a blessing.

How likely would you be to recommend Kendal House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in residence in Kendal House for three years now. I have regular contact with all members of staff and have always found them warm, friendly and approachable. The care they have given to mum has been second to none, the staff do not just take this as their job they really do genuinely care for all of the residents. The home is immaculately clean and free of any unpleasant odours that I have experienced in other care homes. My mum has always praised the meals provided for her and tells me that she feels warm and comfortable at all times. My mum suffers with dementia but still has recall to a certain extent. Mum's husband and my father recently passed away which was obviously devastating news for mum, however the way in which all members of the staff handled the situation was excellent. I would have no hesitation in recommending Kendal House to anyone looking for a care home for a loved one, in fact when I get to that point in my life it is where I would want to be.

Submit a Review for Kendal House

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Kendal House