Alastair House

15 Foryd Road, Kinmel Bay, Rhyl LL18 5BA

Alastair House has many years of experience in providing quality care for older people diagnosed with mental incapacities such as dementia, cognitive impairment, and delirium and generally mild/moderate mental health.

Alastair House prides itself on creating a homely environment with emphasis on social interaction and regular activities to stimulate the mind and body. Meal times take place in the dinning room and are considered by many to be a lively social gathering.

The daily programme is organised as a response to a person's individual and combined needs. Regular activities and outings are also organised for the service users, who enjoy participating.

Owner: Alastair House Ltd

Person in charge: Samantha Leuty (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Conwy County Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 15 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Sensory Impairment

Admission Information: Private & Social Care referrals. Ages 55+.

Weekly Charges Guide: Personal Care Single £592 – £610 , Personal Care Shared (per person) £582 – £592 (These prices are only a guideline, please contact Alastair House to find out the exact price for your requirements.)

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales* Report on Alastair House: click here

* Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Wales.

The Review Score of 9.9 (maximum of 10) for Alastair House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 29 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Alastair House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.896 for Alastair House is calculated as follows: ( (312 Excellents x 5) + (30 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 345 Ratings = 4.896

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Alastair House is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 3 positive Reviews (15 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 3 Target Reached = 1

9.9 Alastair House has a Review Score of 9.9 (9.896) from 29 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Alastair House?

Reviewer Connection to Alastair House

My mum always had a fear of going into a care home but I must say that if you have to go, Alastair House is one of the best. The staff are all very caring. If a resident is not happy they gently work out what is wrong if it is not at first obvious. The residents are taken out when they're able which lifts their spirits! Activities are on offer daily as well.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

The welcome from management and staff is always friendly and positive no matter when we visit our dear friend of many years. Due to the distance, we visit every 6 weeks or so. It is a home of kindness, smiles and laughter and everyone is treated in a thoughtful way. The atmosphere is calm, everywhere is spotlessly clean and recent redecoration has been done with care. Our friend could not be being cared for in a better place.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Two of us try to visit our friend every month or so and although she herself shows 'changes' each time we see her, it is obvious that her care is maintained to a very high standard and she is happy. The staff give constant attention and loving care to all the residents and to those who visit. We are always made to feel welcome and the staff show their appreciation of our visit, knowing the distance we have to travel. Alistair House has a very 'homely' feel to it and the extension and alterations they have made over the past twelve months have enhanced this. There are always plenty of activities and not a day goes past without something to stimulate the residents whether it's having their nails painted, a visit from the hairdresser or choir practice! Birthdays are always celebrated in style with cakes and perhaps a tea dance. The home is always maintained at a comfortable temperature, is clean and there is NEVER a smell of stale food. The menu is always appetising and varied.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

The manager and staff have all been very kind and considerate to my wife.

Words cannot say how pleased I am.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

You give so much pleasure to my mum she's very happy when she has been with you. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Without a doubt the most efficient, caring, well-run care home I have ever been in. The staff are so loving, professional, caring and sincere. Without a doubt, we as a family are happy and content with every aspect of Alastair House. Always warm, clean, friendly, polite and trustworthy. Thank you all.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Alistair House is a clean, friendly, dementia home/daycare centre, my husband goes there twice a week. I am so glad I chose it, I am very happy with our choice. The staff are fantastic, I can't wait for 2018 when I can get some respite care. I feel great knowing my husband is in a safe place when I leave him, he looks forward to our visits.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

A homely atmosphere with warm clean rooms. A good varied diet which I have tried myself. Prompt medical attention when necessary with extra care during illness.
Structured adherence to medication.
Residents clean with good rapport with care staff.
Visits anytime day or night.
Good activities with theatre and cinema visits.
Birthdays and special days celebrated.
Between meals teas and snacks.
Very caring staff in difficult circumstances, much laughter.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My mum goes to daycare here and is very happy. The place is very clean and tidy. The staff are very friendly and professional. It has a very homely feel.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My husband has been a daycare visitor for a few months. The staff are particularly kind and helpful.

Cannot really comment on food as I haven't been there at meal times.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Likely

My mother has been a resident for two years now and I'm extremely satisfied with all aspects of her care and mental well being. I was very reluctant to place my mother in a care home and visited several before deciding on Alistair House. She can be very difficult at times due to her dementia and other medical conditions and the staff respond with a caring loving attitude. I am kept up to date of any illness or worries they have about mum. They do a variety of activities daily which keeps her mind active. I would highly recommend Alistair House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My mother has lived at Alistair House for over two and a half years now and her condition is deteriorating. During this year and particularly this last month she has been much more dependent on the kindness and patience of the carers.
In the day to day entertainment, she is encouraged to join in the singing and is, in fact, part of the Choir that won the carehome.co.uk competition. Mum also enjoys "dolly" care and has her own babies to look after which soothes her considerably, I feel that her best interests are always taken into account to make her as happy and comfortable as she can possibly be.
I don't think she could receive better care than what she receives at Alistair House, the staff have become my friends, I have regular chats with the team who keep me up to date regarding mums health and medication, at no time am I left guessing as to what's going on with her. I have peace of mind that she is well cared for and loved. They are brilliant and amazing ladies.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Residents are cared for with dignity and everyone is treated as an individual.
The wide range of activities help to stimulate residents and everyone is encouraged to take part whenever I visit, my relative and all other residents are always clean and well dressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Alastair House is a wonderful caring place. Mum has been there a year and is very settled. She is treated as an individual and always with dignity. She has loved being part of the resident's choir which is one of the activities at the home. The staff are attentive, loving and patient. The extra space created by the extension has made a big difference to the living space and there is more room for everyone to spread out and a choice of lounge. The home now has a minibus so there is more opportunity for trips out e.g. Theatre, small animal farm, cinema. Communication is good. I am kept well informed of mum's care and contacted if any issues arise. Overall I am very happy with Alastair House.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My Mum has Alzheimer's and I first found Alastair House when I was seeking an active specialised Day Programme for her. Alastair House was a fantastic choice, they were Mum's home from home and she looked forward to her days there. This made the transition into full-time residential care much easier for her when she really couldn't manage at home anymore. It also reduced the stress for me because I knew that Mum liked it and that she was valued and cared for so well there. I can always talk to the staff about any concerns I have about Mum's health. They have excellent working relationships with the G.P's and allied services and are very thorough. The staff are friendly and patient and undertake the training vital to understanding Alzheimer's disease. The ambience of Alastair House is homely and lots of little touches make it a personal home for residents. The addition of the new room allows the residents a more comfortable personal space downstairs.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Alastair House is like a home away from home, like a big family, with carers to see to the needs of the residents. The staff are caring and make time to support the residents emotionally like friends would. People are treated with dignity and respect. The lounge is not spacious but this means the residents are able to converse and communicate in a more natural way as you would with visitors at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

I would recommend Alastair House to everyone who needs their services. My friend has been there for a couple of years now. I know her daughter struggled at first with having to place her in residential care. But she now has no worries and is completely confident that she made the right decision choosing Alastair House. I know my friend and her daughter have benefited from the care and support they have both received and are both extremely happy with everything provided. The staff all give 110% effort ensuring that all service users are happy, safe and content. The homeowner is excellent and interacts with residents and shows a genuine concern for their welfare.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Alastair House is amazing. My mum can be difficult at times and I am very satisfied with the treatment she receives. Not only the staff but the owner as well, all show respect and concern for her welfare. They ALL treat me as part of their family and I am always welcomed warmly. The home is ALWAYS clean and relaxing. The food is excellent and mum has access to drinks and snacks at all times. Everyone there is treated with the same respect and each individual need is met to the highest standard. I have no worries about my mum's care. Even though I live in Staffordshire, England I feel close to Alastair House because they keep my very well informed on mum's needs and all the activities that they plan. I know I am welcome at any time of day and can always speak to mum and staff if ever I feel the need.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My mother was a resident but she passed away but I still visit the home with biscuits and do Christmas presents for all the residents. When you walk in the home you can feel the love and carers are all angels. The owner does everything for the residents. They have a beauty parlour. You cannot fault the home, home cooked meals. I would recommend Alastair House to anyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My mother has stayed in other care homes. The Tina Turner song "Simply The Best" and it is simply the best, I give it 10 out of 10 ever time.
My mother has been here since 2012 never had a problem . My mother's needs are met to the highest standards.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Since my mum has been here, she has settled well. Mum has been here eleven months, and I am happy that she is here, which has given me peace of mind. Care is good, activities are brilliant too!

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

The caring starts as you enter, where nothing is too much trouble. A helping hand is always there when you need it most. An honest and hardworking team make all this possible. The staff go the extra mile to make it feel as much like home as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Very good standard of care for my uncle and seems to be very happy at the home. He has found new friends and very content always clean and tidy and good feedback from staff.
We have always been kept informed by the staff/manager on my uncle's needs and requirement.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Mother has been very unsettled in other nursing homes. We're extremely happy that she has settled in to Alistair House. The staff are attentive and focused on the residents. We are particularly happy about the sense of community that exists in the home. Every time we visit I observe that mother is happily talking to one of the other residents. Mother can be difficult but she is always treated with kindness. There is always something going on and mother particularly enjoys the sing songs. Mother always asks me to thank the carers.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My wife has been looked after with great care no doubt about that, wonderful, Alastair House have a good team, and care is there. I have seen it for myself, is it any wonder they were in the awards again this year and came in the top class. Well done.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My husband spent only three months at Alastair House Residential. He has Parkinson's disease and dementia. Unfortunately he has deteriorated to a degree where he needs more care than a residential home can provide, and has had to move on. I consider Alastair House to have given my husband excellent care, encouraging and supporting him. The owner, management and all the care team have been extremely helpful and considerate.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

I visited mum today, she was very agitated when I arrived. The staff calmed her and were fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble for her. She was offered at least ten choices for her evening meal. I cannot praise the staff here enough for their help for mum and the support for us to understand how to cope with her enormous mood swings.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

Mum's been here for a couple of years now. She always looks well, clean, smart and hair always looks tidy. We can see she is happy by the way she smiles and talks to other residents. The staff are brilliant! really good with everybody. We can call anytime and we are always made welcome A1*.

How likely would you be to recommend Alastair House? Extremely Likely

My uncle has been a resident for approx 1 year and the care and support given is excellent in every aspect. All staff work really hard and treat all residents as individuals with care and dignity. They keep you informed every way and nothing is too much trouble. I recommend anyone thinking of placing a relative in residential to go and view as you will not be disappointed. Thank you to all staff.

Submit a Review for Alastair House

Date: Sunday 01 Feb 2015

Top 20 Care Homes Wales 2015

Date: Sunday 01 Feb 2015

Choir

Likes: 247 Views: 3176

Posted: 24 Nov 2016