Barchester Lakeside Care Home

La Rue de la Commune, St Peter, Jersey JE3 7BN

Barchester Lakeside Care Home, Jersey, Jersey

Formerly a hotel with its own grounds and lake, Lakeside is situated in a quiet rural part of Jersey. The home boasts a large two storey property on extensive grounds and all bedrooms have a large floor to ceiling window and a private balcony. They provide first-class 24-hour nursing and residential care.

A team of highly-qualified and attentive staff really focus on the individual needs of residents with a tailored care plan for each person. And their dedication can be seen across the board - in their cooking, hospitality and in organising activities for residents.

Group: Barchester Healthcare Ltd

Person in charge: Rosie Goulding (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Jersey Social Services (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 67 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

* States of Jersey Health and Social Services Department is responsible for the registration and inspection of social care services in Jersey.

posted 24 Aug 2017

We currently have limited availability. Please contact us to discuss your needs further, we would love to welcome you for a visit.

8.9 Barchester Lakeside Care Home has a Review Score of 8.9 (8.927)

The Review Score of 8.9 (maximum of 10) for Barchester Lakeside Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 8 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Barchester Lakeside Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.33 for Barchester Lakeside Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (47 Excellents x 5) + (34 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 94 Ratings = 4.33

The 4.597 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Barchester Lakeside Care Home is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.4 positive Reviews (67 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 13.4 Target = 0.597

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Barchester Lakeside Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Barchester Lakeside Care Home

• Nephew of Resident/Service User

I have only been a resident for a short time. I am very happy in Lakeside, so lucky to have been taken into such a lovely home. Lakeside is full of wonderful caring people, from staff to management. Nothing is a problem. Stress-free and chilled-out. The grounds that surround Lakeside are amazing, as is the wildlife. Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Lakeside Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rosie Goulding, Village Manager at Barchester Lakeside Care Home responded to this review on 22 Jun 2017:

Thank you for your kind words, it is much appreciated.

Overall I can say that I am satisfied with my mother's care however, I do feel that there is a shortage of staff as on several occasions my mother has had to wait 15 minutes to be taken to the bathroom and during this time lapse several accidents have occurred. The ensuite bathrooms are outdated and need to be modernised with walk in/wheelchair shower access as a necessity. Considering the amount that is charged per week, I would have expected the rooms to be more modern and well decorated and more staff on hand. But the staff are very helpful and the food and activities are very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Barchester Lakeside Care Home? Likely

Value for Money: Poor

Delighted by my wife's care and would highly recommend.

Tracey Gentry, Home Manager/RGN at Barchester Lakeside Care Home responded to this review on 02 Jun 2017:

Thank you, Mr Skelley, we are really very happy that you feel this way.

The premises are very well kept, with wonderful grounds. The staff on the Lavender ward where my father stayed are attentive and have the knowledge and understanding to deal with all their clients. The food served is of a very good standard. We enjoyed our family meal and was better than we expected.
My father has now passed away, and the attention and care we were provided in his last hours were fantastic. The team treated my father and my family with dignity and kindness we could not have asked for more. Thank you and kind regards.

I have been well looked after since I became a resident at the home in April 2016. The food is good, the assistance I have received is good. Help if I need it is good. The staff are helpful.

Activities: Very Poor

We have found the staff at Lakeside to be very co-operative and available whenever you need to speak with them. Our aunt is very happy in their care and often says how kind the staff are to her. We are happy with the activities provided for her.

My father was transferred to Lakeside after having been placed at a non-specific residential home, after a prolonged period in hospital, following a nasty and recurring UTI. It was found that although my dad had been diagnosed with vascular dementia, that he would require more specific care. The staff at Lakeside not only facilitated a smooth transition, they also reassured my family with their knowledge and understanding of the condition, and candid and honest duel working approach that fits with our family values.

Absolutely gorgeous food. Could not be more accommodating to our needs and although our father was unwell (UTI) we were all content during our special time together - Easter meal. Dad is much happier and the care he receives is second to none.

Submit a Review for Barchester Lakeside Care Home

Tracey

Tracey Gentry

Job Title: Registered Home Manager/RGN

Joined: 2014

I have worked in Healthcare for the past 24 years. I commenced the love for the ‘older person’ when I first went to work in a care home as a care assistant. The 7 years I spent as a care assistant laid the foundations for my pathway to being a nurse, not always easy also being a mum to 4 children and a dog! I have been a registered nurse since 2002 and have always strived to ensure that the ‘person’ is at the heart of ‘Care’ and believe very strongly that we happen to work in the residents home and not that they live in our work place.
I moved to Jersey December 2014 to work with Barchester. I absolutely love the Island, so much that I actually haven’t been back to England since.
Lakeside was formerly The Mermaid Hotel. Very well known on the Island with lots of the residents having fond memories of it, with family or friends getting married here.
The views are wonderful, the Lounge has picture windows and we all love to watch the seasonal changes. The gardens and the lake have been the ‘home’ for the ducks for many years. Each bedroom has its own balcony which overlooks the lake.
The ethos of Lakeside is very much ‘friendliness’ It is first and foremost the residents home and as such the atmosphere should not be one of a workplace but ‘homely’

Catia

Catia Vilar

Job Title: Deputy Home Manager/RGN

Joined: 2013

Catia is the Deputy Home Manager here at Lakeside assisting the Home Manager in all aspects of the home focusing especially on the clinical needs of the home.

Sandra

Sandra Damiao

Job Title: Home Administrator

Joined: 2012

I have worked here at Lakeside 3 years and love the fact we are one big family!!

Sue

Sue Thornburn

Job Title: Activity Lead

Joined: 2005

Sue has been the Lead Activity here at Lakeside for the past 10 years, gaining a prestigious Long Service Award from Barchester Healthcare in recognition of this. She works very hard with our VIP's to ensure the continue to live in the way they choose.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Barchester Lakeside Care Home