Foxholes Care Home, Hitchin, Hertfordshire

Foxholes Care Home is a comfortable and spacious care home located in scenic surroundings, offering a wide range of care expertise that includes long-term residential care, respite and convalescent packages, and palliative care. The home has its own specialised dementia facility and carers who are skilled in helping with sensory related issues.

En-suite rooms and relaxing interior combine with an in-house activities programme to ensure residents feel both and home and entertained, with a bistro to entertain guests and gardens popular for their wildlife. A pet-friendly approach is also taken.

Foxholes has benefitted from significant investment and a year of refurbishment, reopening to offer the very best in modern care standards and a satisfying living environment. The last CQC rating was 'excellent'.

Owner: Foxholes Nursing Home Ltd

Person in charge: Usha Gandecha (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Hertfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 110 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Just outside the town centre. As you go up Pirton Road, Foxholes Care Home is the last property on the right before you drive into the countryside.

24 hours visiting

Spacious parking for visitors close to the front entrance. Wheelchair friendly.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Foxholes Care Home: click here

9.2 Foxholes Care Home has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.154)

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Foxholes Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 49 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Foxholes Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.699 for Foxholes Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (437 Excellents x 5) + (116 Goods x 4) + (18 Satisfactorys x 3) + (6 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 578 Ratings = 4.699

The 4.455 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Foxholes Care Home is based on 10 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 22 positive Reviews (110 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 10 Reviews ÷ 22 Target = 0.455

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Foxholes Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Foxholes Care Home

• Relative of Resident/Service User

I visited Foxholes to see my uncle who is there for a break. I was very impressed, from the time I telephoned to arrange the visit, until I left the property. The place was very clean and tidy and all the staff were very helpful and polite. I had lunch with my uncle which was served in one of the lounges and very nicely presented. All the residents that I saw seemed to be very happy and well looked after. There seemed to be plenty of things for the residents to do and very nice gardens to walk in if they are able. I would recommend the place to all my family and friends.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

A modern, well-appointed care home with excellent facilities and lovely staff.

Location is rural and pretty. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Security is very good. Food is pleasant and served in a friendly manner. Price is expensive, but one has to pay to get this standard. Overall, a good care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Likely

I can only rate everything as excellent, because that's how I see everything here.
I visit weekly and often sit in activities with residents. We enjoy this and always have a good laugh and to see that, makes my day. To leave them all happy says it all. Well done to all who work there, always greeted with a smile.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother, with dementia, has now been at Foxholes for just over 20 months. I continue to be extremely pleased with the care she receives. She has a lovely room that is peaceful and bright, and she can sit and watch the trees and clouds, and the horses in the fields nearby which she loves to do. She is so well looked after and content and she enjoys the varied activities that are available to residents. The activity staff are so kind and are great in encouraging her and it is lovely to see her getting pleasure and fun at the moment. She really likes the meals and this is one of her pleasures. Good, varied menus are available. The care staff, and management, are excellent - kind, compassionate, treat her with dignity and respect, and all try their very best to make her comfortable and content. Support staff are also friendly, communicative and I feel that there is a very good atmosphere throughout. I would recommend Foxholes very highly to anyone looking for a care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I stayed at Foxholes to be near my family after being really ill in hospital in Weston Super Mare. I weighed 5 1/2 stone when I arrived and managed to gain 7lb in weight during my 3 weeks stay. My stay really helped me recover from a near death experience.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Likely

Foxholes is always providing good communication with residents and with their families. Foxholes is always striving to find alternatives to give residents new challenges, activities and chances to interact socially. Foxholes puts on frequent social events for residents and families to enjoy together. The Management structure is excellent whereby floor managers know the detail aspects of the resident's condition and communicates regularly, and immediately when required, with the nearest family to alert them to current issues. Senior management always available to back up staff and reassure family. No issues are allowed to not be quickly resolved. The whole environment of Foxholes gives us reassurance from facilities, staff and management of a caring and safe place for a vulnerable elderly family member, giving peace of mind to the whole extended family.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Everyone at Foxholes is caring and considerate, nothing is too much trouble. My mother has received excellent care, particularly from the team leaders, who will always ring to keep me informed. There are a range of activities available throughout the year but at Christmas a huge effort is placed on making Foxholes an exciting and lovely place to enjoy the festive season.
As I live a long distance away from Foxholes, I know that I can ring or email at any time and get a fast response.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Our father has been diagnosed with dementia and the family wanted him to be closer to us. We visited residential care homes in the area. From the first meeting and ever since our Father moved into Foxholes. We have been impressed with the owners and every member of staff. The attention to detail, from the decor throughout to the attitude of the staff, towards my father and our family members who visit has been exceptional. Compassion and individual care was imperative to us and Foxholes certainly tick every box.

Any questions have been dealt with very quickly and it is clearly evident to us that the needs of the residents and ensuring they are as settled as possible is key to Foxholes care culture.

It even brings a smile to our faces when our father constantly refers to Foxholes as the best hotel he has ever stayed in!!
A massive thank you to the family who run Foxholes. Your home and facilities have given our family a real peace of mind that our father is in such good hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother is in Foxholes Care Home In Hitchin, and I am pleased to say the care she is receiving is excellent. The staff are friendly and caring, and my 90-year-old mum receives visits from a nurse and a doctor. I am really pleased with our choice of care home. The food is good. I would not mind eating there myself.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Wonderful fireworks event! Such a lovely family atmosphere. The staff were so calm and cheerful and helpful, it was an absolute pleasure to attend. Mum really enjoyed the event too. Before she was unable to live independently, we would have a family fireworks party at Mum's house. We were apprehensive about attending a different fireworks event but we should not have worried. Foxholes Care Home created and friendly family event that we all thoroughly enjoyed.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My first impression of Foxholes was that I was in a hotel, not a care home. However, I have never stayed in a hotel with an ice cream machine for residents and visitors! Foxholes is very tastefully decorated and my Mother-in-Law has a lovely room, with an en-suite bathroom, overlooking fields with horses. She loves her room.
The meals are good and well presented. The staff I have encountered are friendly and accommodating. My Mother-in-Law has been treated with great kindness and is well looked after. It is the next best thing to independent living. We held my Mother-in-Law's 90th birthday party at Foxholes. Staff provided a bar service and buffet for 30+ family members.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have always been very satisfied with my mother's care. The staff are very kind, caring and nothing seems to be too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My brother in law spent a few weeks in this, what I would describe as, a very poor quality of care. There was an extreme shortage of staff on his floor. The first day I visited him at 11.30 am I was told he was still in bed, the carer said he was having one of those days - if he was asked to get up he would. It was, I believe, the carer that was having one of those days, after that event if I was there and she was on duty I watched her movements and I think she is not cut out for caring and this should have been noticed by her team leader. I visited several mornings at about 10.30 ish, not once in that time had he been bathed. I found this totally unacceptable and only once in the time I was there did anyone decide to give him a shower. I can only comment on a carer on the lower ground. I hope it is not widespread. The home is new and therefore looks very nice however it is more important that the care is of a good standard, sadly in the case of my relative his care was of a very poor standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Unlikely

Overall Standard: Poor

Care / Support: Very Poor

Treated with Dignity: Poor

Staff: Poor

Management: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

My mother spent the last two weeks of her life at Foxholes Care Home, having come directly from hospital where there was no more the hospital could do for her. My mother was treated with the utmost respect and dignity throughout her short stay. The nurses and carers who attended to my mother during this sad time were, to my mind, very caring and understanding of her needs and wishes. I stayed with my mother through to her last breath on the day she passed away and I was comforted by both the nurse who attended to my mother and the carers who were assisting. This was the saddest time of my life and I felt that all of the Foxholes staff helped me and my father through this very traumatic time.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

This was a great experience as I did not know what to expect, but my questions were all answered after my stay. The staff were all very helpful, professional, and anything I required was never refused or elongated. I felt part of a family. It was a great stay, and I would stay there again if I had to.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Foxholes is extremely friendly and professional. Our welcome by the team leader was fantastic. My mother-in-law feels very welcome and relaxed. Looking forward to my permanent stay here.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My 95 yr old mother has been in Foxholes Care Home for a year. In her old age she has become very demanding, Foxholes Care Home has helped her settle. They have staff that have got to know my mother and can really help her on her "bad" days.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Likely

BBQ for friends, relatives and residents. Very enjoyable, good food, wine cup and piano/singers entertainment. Son had a tour of fire engines. Other charity events.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

We attended the summer BBQ which was excellent. There was a wide variety of meat freshly cooked as well as vegetarian options. Staff made sure everyone was served with food. The atmosphere was lively with music, balloons and a bouncy castle for the children and a fire engine to explore. Every effort was made to create a fun summer event for residents and their families.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My partner has been in Foxholes since November 2015 because he is unable to weight bear so cannot stand. I was unable to look after him at home properly and so we decided a care home was the best option. Having carefully looked at convenient homes in the area we decided that Foxholes was the best option. In the 6 months that he has been in here we are very satisfied. The care is of a high level, the staff are competent and very caring (also very patient) to both work my partner and myself, which as we are both in our 80s is very important.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Attended summer fayre with children and parent. The food was lovely, children enjoyed the activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

A lovely place to be in, lovely surroundings, very good food, catering for special requirements.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Likely

My mother has had excellent care since moving into Foxholes and her quality of life has improved beyond recognition. My sisters and I are thrilled that she is in such a wonderful place and the compassionate care she receives is evident in her levels of contentment, happiness and active participation in the variety of activities and opportunities for socialisation provided by the lovely and dedicated care team.
Prior to moving into Foxholes my mum was withdrawn, isolated and depressed so the positive changes in her are testament to the efforts of the staff to encourage and include her.
We have every confidence in the kindness and empathy of the staff team and are hugely grateful that they provide such a service for the residents.
The home itself is calm, clean, spacious and surrounded by beautiful parkland so even if she chooses to remain in her room mum has lovely views.
All in all an excellent service and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

The family has had a difficult 10 months, following mum's stroke last summer. The care home has really helped us through a roller-coaster ride and now we are in a more stable situation. The staff are very caring and respectful, the home is very clean and offers lots of choices from 'where to eat' to 'what to do'.
I live abroad and receive frequent email updates which allow me to be a part of the decision-making process, regarding mum's care. The management are very receptive and always welcome comments and suggestions. The overall support to both parents has been fantastic.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care offered by the Foxholes team is utterly outstanding . They have been caring for my father with dedication, compassion and have shown him love and warmth. Dad recently spent a short time in hospital, when staff from Foxholes visited him in hospital, his face lit up. When he returned from hospital he was made to feel very welcome and he was so pleased to be back in this loving and caring environment .
The care and support offered is also extended to family and friends. We are able to visit any time, any day and there is always a welcome smile and a cup of tea!

The facilities are modern and well thought out ensuring that the care home feels like a home from home.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff are friendly and co-operative, despite teething problems linked to dad's needs all was sorted in a professional manner. The accommodation is modern and clean. Activities take place on one level, which can be a problem if dad hasn't been informed or hasn't been coaxed into attending. However, there is a timetable that is given weekly.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Beautiful home for mum to stay. Very welcoming to residents and family. All staff very helpful and caring. My only issue is not enough activities and interaction with others. Although this isn't a big issue, just something I have observed. I would highly recommend Foxholes.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very happy generally but feel there could be more interaction with the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are always friendly and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very friendly staff, warm atmosphere, everyone is very accommodating.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very good care home all round.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My husband has been living in Foxholes for over two years. We enjoy coming to Foxholes to visit, the public areas and rooms are delightful. The staff are very friendly, professional and welcoming. I am very happy with the care my husband receives and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this recommend this 1st class home.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I think the building is one to be a good example to other care homes. It really is a nice atmosphere to be in.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I visited a friend recently who has been nursed there after a very bad stroke which my local hospital had expected to be fatal. Though paralysed on the left side under Foxholes care she has regained her speech and can communicate well with friends. I had lunch at Foxholes and was impressed by its quality.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Greeted well by staff. Godson seemed happy. Given coffee and sat and chatted with him. The day room and conservatory were lovely bright and airy.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has now been at Foxholes for ten weeks and is much more relaxed and content than when she was living at home. We have found the staff excellent, always helpful and aware of my mother's needs. The environment is outstanding with spacious rooms and common areas.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Our mum has not been at Foxholes Care Home for very long from our first viewing of the home we had the perfect feeling of warmth, friendliness and geniality. We both knew this home was the home since our mum has arrived and until this day all her needs have been met. Nothing is too much trouble from all the staff and management, they are a team. The facilities programmes they run, care, cleanliness, food, everything is faultless. It is like a five star hotel. The most important factor is our mum is very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I always have a good welcome and provided with cups of tea. All staff are very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

All staff that have dealt with my husband seem very "on the ball" and caring. He very much enjoys his stays and is always happy to come for respite.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Lovely calm environment. All staff have been really helpful and lovely. Good food choices. Highly recommended can come in whenever we like. Brilliant.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Every aspect at Foxholes Care Home is superb. Gone are the feelings of a care home, it feels more like a hotel. Qualified staff has looked after all my husbands needs and more. I could not recommend Foxholes Care Home enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has just become a new resident. She was vulnerable and saddened realising this was perhaps a permanent move in her very latter years. She has always been fiercely independent. As a family we so appreciated the excellent care and support he received from the staff at Foxholes Care Home. The gentleness, compassion and professionalism was exemplary.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff very good, very helpful. A joy to visit

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in Foxholes for over two years. During this time she has remained well for the most part, in spite of a deteriorating well mental state, which is in large part due to the way she is looked after. The staff are kind and considerate. There is plenty going on to keep mum interested even if she cannot physically take part. Mum especially likes the good catering. The premisses are very roomy which which recently allowed us the opportunity to hold a family party for 25 people in the conservatory and on the terrace, for which a lovely tea was provided by the home. This was certainly a great additional facility.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My sister and I looked at several care homes for our Dad and Foxholes was by far the best one. Foxholes is set in an idyllic location, it's spacious, light, airy and very clean. Lovely private rooms with large en-suite, good quality food. The carers are all very friendly and professional. They take the time to learn about each residents needs etc. (The staff are great) The management are happy to listen to any concerns that we may have, I wanted my dad to have his dignity. He also gets respect and his privacy along with all his other care needs.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Great staff, always caring for my father and visitors. The home is always clean and tidy and everyone is welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

As a visitor to Foxholes with my partner to see his father, the first thing you see if what a lovely building it is. On going inside it's clean, fresh and you get a warm welcome. On Lilly where I spend most of my time visiting, I have got to know the staff and residents on that floor and find them all happy to have a bit of a laugh. On that basis I think Foxholes must be getting it right. Also I would like to say the staff make the best coffee.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Foxholes is a wonderful place and it has been extremely heartening to see my mother looked after so well here.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxholes Care Home? Extremely Likely

When I came to Foxholes I find all the staff very friendly and helpful. The whole building inside and out is lovely and clean with all security very secure. I would recommend this home to anyone of needing full care.

Submit a Review for Foxholes Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Foxholes Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Foxholes Care Home