Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home

Wray Common Road, Reigate RH2 0ND

Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home, Reigate, Surrey

Wray Common Nursing Home with its English garden setting and wealth of charm and character is situated in a quiet residential area of Reigate, Surrey.

Nursing Care, Comfort and Friendship in a 'Home from Home' atmosphere are an essential part of the very high Nursing standards provided. Registered Nurses and care assistants are selected not only for their experience and Nursing skills but also for the warmth of personality they bring to the home. The welfare of patients is catered for twenty four hours a day, by professional and trained staff, under the supervision of the highly qualified Matron in charge.

All Rooms, are centrally heated, tastefully decorated and furnished to enhance the light airy atmosphere of the home. A day longe provides a regular meeting place with colour television for residents viewing pleasure. If desired they may also have a television set for private viewing in their own room.

Recognising that some residents prefer privacy and some companionship, there are both single and twin bedded rooms on either the ground or first floor, with an accompanied lift available. Some residents like to have familiar objects with them and are very welcome to bring personal possessions, such as a favourite table or chair and ornaments for their own room.

Meals are taken in pleasant dining rooms, or if desired in the resident's own room. Chefs take pride in the variety and quality of their cuisine. Tempting meals are provided and special dietary needs and personal preferences are also catered for whilst maintaining a well balanced and nutritious menu.

Care workers nderstand the very individual needs of all residents and offer a variety of professional services including Chiropodists, Optician and Hairdresser on a regular basis. A General Practitioner visits regularly and as required. All religions can be catered for with visits from various Ministers.

Owner: Dovestone Estates Ltd

Person in charge: Melanie Sadler (Manager / Matron)

Local Authority / Social Services: Surrey County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 55 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Ages from 60 to 105.

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home: click here

9.7 Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.697)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 33 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.697 for Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home is calculated as follows: ( (275 Excellents x 5) + (93 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 379 Ratings = 4.697

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 11 positive Reviews (55 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 11 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home?

Reviewer Connection to Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home

As a carer myself I can honestly say I was extremely pleased with the excellent care my late father received from this Nursing home, the staff were very friendly and always very supportive to us as a family and believe me we are a very big family and we were with our dad every day and the staff always made us welcome. My dad was very happy in this home right until the end when my dad sadly passed away. I was extremely impressed with all the staff they were all very considerate thank you Wray Common staff you should all give yourself a massive pat on the back.

How likely would you be to recommend Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home? Extremely Likely

My wife spent the last 2 weeks receiving end of life care. She was treated with dignity and kept as comfortable as possible. She was provided with the appropriate medication when needed and in a timely fashion. She finally passed away peacefully.

We recently had to make the very difficult decision that it was time for our dear Dad to leave his home and to be cared for in a nursing home. Although we knew he was near the end of his 90 years he needed 24-hour nursing care. It's a very emotional choice that you have to make at a time when you are feeling sad and low. We chose Wray Common Nursing Home and what a great choice it was. Dad was looked after by Nurses and staff second to none.

They treated him with total dignity and respect. The matron and all of the amazing staff always had time for our Mum and us each day we visited giving us total support which meant a lot. The matron was there even on Christmas morning when it was her day off. This shows absolute commitment and care for the residents. We can not recommend Wray Common Nursing Home enough. Thank you to you all so much for making our Dad's last days as comfortable as possible.

The staff were kind, caring and friendly. If we had any concerns they would listen to us and try and implement the request. The food was very good and there were a wide variety of activities to choose from.

After seven weeks in hospital our mother came to Wray Common Nursing Home to spend her final days. We knew as soon as we spoke to the manager and matron that this was the place for her to come to. They were honest and clear with us from the start. This was a huge relief after the inconsistency of treatment for mum in hospital. Everything was sorted by the matron until mum died. Very experienced and efficient. We know mum was checked constantly day and night despite being in her final days. All the staff were pleasant and kind, but most of all, respectful of our needs and those of our mum's.

On each occasion we have visited my uncle he has looked happy and well cared for. The staff are all very kind and treat the residents with respect and good humour. They regularly provide the residents with activities to entertain and stimulate them. I would have no hesitation in recommending this care home to anybody looking for a suitable place for their relative.

We have been extremely pleased with the care provided for my uncle. Excellent daily activities are planned and the staff are very caring. My uncle's room and the communal lounges are always spotlessly clean. We are always made to feel very welcome as visitors. It was my uncle's 80th birthday today and the catering staff made him a lovely cake and made his birthday feel very special.

Despite failing health my aunt seemed genuinely content and enjoying life in her final days and was planning for her approaching 97th birthday celebartions. The staff were caring, attentive and proactive in keeping me informed about my aunt's state of health. I have no hesitation in recommending Wray Common Nursing Home to anyone seeking a caring environment for their friends or relatives.

My Father received excellent care from the staff at Wray Common Nursing home. Sadly he was not there very long but they were very supportive and kind to Dad and the family during the time he was there. I can not recommend this home highly enough.

We were lucky to find and have my father transferred to Wray Common for the last 2 weeks of his life. It is hard to explain how much we appreciated the help, support and exceptional care staff gave to my father and family during this time. We were always made to feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. The facilities are excellent, his private room was clean, quiet and decorated to a high standard. The food and afternoon tea and cake comes highly recommended.

This is not just a nursing home, it is a home from home. The only regret with Wray Common is that we wish my father could have spent longer there. Finally, many thanks goes to the Matron. She was supportive throughout and always made time to listen to our concerns and provide updates as to my Dad's health.
On the day he died we couldn't have wished for more as she was there to support my mother, sister and myself and we will never be able to thank her enough for everything she did for my father.

Both my parents are living in this home. My father is bedridden and needs nursing as well as general care. My mother has lost her short term memory. Either my brother or I visit every day. I particularly like that we can go at any time. We often go to visit our mother only to find she is busy with some activity. All the staff are very friendly and kind. Matron sits in the middle always available and I'm sure aware of everything that happens. The food is excellent. All the clients seem happy and engaged. I thoroughly recommend this home.

I moved mum from another care home as I had become disappointed with her care, I could not have been happier with the welcome we received from Wray common. The staff are wonderful and I have seen a vast improvement in my mums health and happiness. I cannot recommend them enough.

My mother spent 7 months at Wray Common having moved in after a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease. She had a very pleasant room and was treated from start to finish with the utmost care, kindness and respect. The staff all worked hard to keep up with fast moving pace of this relentless disease and did their very best to ensure my mother felt in full control of all her care, trying hard to communicate and spend time with her when speech became harder. All members of the team knew her name and we as daughters felt we came to know many of the carers and nurses individually. They were kind and always had the time to discuss my mother's care whether on the phone or in person. We all felt welcome to visit any time and the home felt well supervised and safe with all visitors recorded, not always the case. The ratio of nursing staff was high and especially towards the end they worked effectively with the hospice to ensure my mother's comfort and dignity. Thanks to all staff!

Not only was the care given by the nursing staff, carers and the others professionals excellent it was humane, compassionate and caring. When my sister died many of the staff cried with us and consoled and hugged us. My sister was always treated with respect and the staff were always willing to go the extra mile. I and my family feel that my sister could not have had a better Nursing Home for the last 8 months of her life.

PS I have rated the Activities as Good but I should make clear that I never had any direct experience with them as my sister was largely bed ridden. Equally my sister had a lovely room (view on garden, south exposure etc but I really never visited any of the other rooms).

My sister has been dying with MND, she has been so well cared for and I cannot praise the staff too highly, always cheerful and friendly. I know my sister, despite the awfulness of the disease, that she has been cosseted and made to feel she has dignity in her dying. She chose to come to Wray Common having had experience in one other home which, although very smart, did not have the ambience of caring and comfort that she sought. Thank you for everything you have done for her.

We were extremely happy with this care home, my mum was cared for so well, the staff are really kind and caring, matron is lovely, also very compassionate. I felt mum was always safe and never lonely when we left her from a visit. The afternoon entertainment sessions are great too. Lovely rooms, I liked to visit in the afternoons as tea and cake together was a real bonus! I would not hesitate to recommend Wray Common to anyone looking for somewhere special for their loved one to live. My mum was so happy and comfortable, we will miss visiting there!

My husband is receiving good care. The staff also show care for my own needs and emotions. The rooms are spacious withy a pleasant outlook.

Very kind, caring and patient staff who worked hard to make my aunt's last days comfortable. She thought she was in 'some kind of hotel', and commented that the 'maids' were very attentive.

We have been extremely pleased with the care and attention Mum has received since she has been at Wray Common, particularly since Dad died in 2014.
Apart from the expected standard of care we have been really impressed by the friendliness, helpfulness and support given by all the staff not only to Mum but to us as well.
The rooms are comfortable and the food certainly seems good. Mum certainly enjoys everything she eats. A particular effort is made for birthdays and festive occasions when the kitchen staff certainly produce some amazing cakes and party food.
Nursing staff are always on duty and very helpful and caring, calling in the doctors or other services whenever appropriate.
The carers always have a kind word and all the residents are always addressed by their first names.
We have been impressed by attention given to keeping the residents as active and interested as possible with organised activities every day in the week and with other entertainers some weekends.

Very happy that Mum is well looked after. Good value for money..

The level of care my aunt received was always very good. Staff are professional and attentive. The public areas in the home are good areas for residents to sit- away from their rooms. I was very pleased with everything provided, from food to personal and medical care. Activities are encouraged to take part. My only concern is that I feel that the reception should be by the front door as two residential rooms are by the door and although visitors are seen via cameras link- a personal barrier would be better.

My mum spent several years at the home, she had many challenges which the home dealt with really well, with great patience giving excellent care. The home is homely and very clean, all staff working to make it a nice place to be, from the cleaners, entertainment staff and carers and medical team. You are always made welcome whatever time of day or night, this really came through when my mother died as the ripe old age of 97! they were there for me as well as mum, which was really lovely at this difficult time. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this home, as they are truly a lovely team of people working there.

The care and support in my fathers last few weeks of life was excellent and the care shown by the nursing team was also outstanding. I would recommend this care home to any one, with the knowledge that you can feel safe, that your loved ones are in good hands.

The second care in which my wife has resided. How much better than the first. The managing team at Wray Common show they are excellent to have achieved this high standard. The home is clean, the food is very tasty and satisfying, the staff caring and kind and it has entertainment to please encourage and help the residents every afternoon. It is a happy well run home where the staff are always trying to improve. Well done.

When my dad was taken ill, it was realised he needed nursing care. I visited several homes to try to find a good match. There were home I could not imagine my dad in, so I was so relieved to find Wray Common. They were welcoming, organised and calm. The room they offered my dad was well appointed. The staff were vigilant about my dads needs and did their best to make him comfortable in the last few weeks of his life. The staff were never too busy to answer our calls and queries. Wray Common made a sad difficult time a little bit easier to cope with, knowing dad was being really well cared for.

Having tried other Nursing Homes my 75 year old friend with MND has chosen to spend her last days at Wray Common Nursing Home. The staff have looked after her, giving her dignity and caring for her every need. The matron has been warm and friendly and thoroughly professional. She has communicated well with my friend and foreseen the difficulties that will arise in the next stages of her illness. The staff are always very friendly and are keen to help the patient and her visitors. There is a cheerful, personal atmosphere in the home. My friend has been assured that the nursing staff will be able to look after her until her death. Despite some of the limitations of the building I would warmly recommend Wray Common for its care and the personalised treatment for my friend.

The care my mother received was carried out with such grace and thoughtfulness and I will be ever grateful she was happy at Wray Common.

Since we moved my mother from another nursing home, the improvement has been very noticeable. Whilst she is immobile she is more relaxed and content. All the staff are very helpful and friendly and they look after her very well which is a huge comfort to me and my family.

I have every confidence (and take much comfort) in the quality of care and attention provided by all the staff.

The facilities required for the level of care needed by my mother (who is chair/bed bound) are excellent and she is much more contented since coming here.

The care provided for my Mum during her stay at Wray Common was second to none. The Matron and staff were always on hand to answer any of our questions, and ensured that all my Mum's needs were met. I cannot praise the staff highly enough, they are all
a credit to their profession.

I cannot fault the care given to my mother for the last few months of her life. All staff treated her with dignity and respect. The atmosphere of the home is welcoming and loving. Thank you all so much.

After visiting various nursing homes, we decided on Wray Common because of the superb high standard of care . All of the staff go out of their way to ensure a happy, loving & secure atmosphere for both residents, families & friends. The day to day running of the home is of an exceptionally high standard.

In this traumatic time, the matron & the nursing staff have exceeded our expectations. We are reassured that she is in a safe, secure & caring home .....by far the most suitable place for her.

Last year Mum spent a weekend of respite care at Wray Common Nursing Home, which she thoroughly enjoyed. So when she suffered a medical crisis and we had to choose a permanent place at a Nursing Home, the choice was easy. She has her own good-sized, en-suite, room, which includes bed with ripple mattress (she developed two pressure sores during her stay in hospital), easy chair, chest of drawers, bed side chest, large built-in wardrobe, commode and a chair for a visitor. The room has several pictures fixed to the walls, but she has also been able to hang up pictures of her own; we were also encouraged to provide small furniture to display some of Mum's own ornaments and photos.
During the day Mum has breakfast in her room and is then helped to get up and dressed, then is taken downstairs to one of the two main day rooms. There she is involved in the communal entertainment activities, which include quizzes, painting, cooking, flower arranging, and singing. She has her lunch and afternoon tea downstairs before being taken back to her room for her light supper, and then bed.
Mum is very happy here and enjoys the mix of time with others and time alone. She is able to choose the balance herself. Some residents choose not to join the others downstairs, and all wishes are respected.
Friends of mine have suggested that we do unexpected visits to the home at different times of the day to see the quality of care across the day, but personally I don't feel the need for such observation; as a nurse myself I know Mum is getting good care. The matron and staff nurses are quite accessible and happy to chat, exchange ideas and keep me up to date with developments.

My Aunt is staying for a couple of weeks so her home can adapted to her needs. I cannot fault the care that all the staff have shown her and the way they have kept me informed. Within her short stay she has been able to improve her mobility and feel she will be better able to cope when she returns home.

How likely would you be to recommend Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home? Likely

Submit a Review for Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Wray Common Nursing & Residential Home