Claydon House Care with Nursing, Lewes, East Sussex

Claydon House Care with nursing is a refurbished Victorian property, with scenic gardens and an experienced team able to offer residential, nursing and dementia care.

Staff are proud to announce that Claydon House was rated as ‘Good’ in its CQC report, published on 1 November 2017, for the second consecutive time.

Professionals are committed to maintaining an attractive and restful environment for residents and visitors alike, so that they can enjoy a high quality of life based on dignity, privacy and independence.

There are purpose-designed areas for residents with dementia and all staff understand the benefits of an individualised approach to care.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Karen Grainger (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Sussex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 49 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Claydon House Care with Nursing: click here

posted 11 Dec 2017

Please call 0808 223 5418 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org for further information on the current Bed Vacancies at Claydon House.

9.4 Claydon House Care with Nursing has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.365)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Claydon House Care with Nursing is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Claydon House Care with Nursing in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.8 out of 5 from 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.549 for Claydon House Care with Nursing is calculated as follows: ( (140 Excellents x 5) + (71 Goods x 4) + (14 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 226 Ratings = 4.549

The 4.816 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Claydon House Care with Nursing is based on 8 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.8 positive Reviews (49 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 8 Reviews ÷ 9.8 Target = 0.816

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Claydon House Care with Nursing?

Reviewer Connection to Claydon House Care with Nursing

My mum had Alzheimer's and she spent the last few weeks of her life at Claydon House. We couldn't have asked for anywhere better. The home has a very calming atmosphere, bright and airy, and the manager and her team were all lovely. The carers were really attentive and did everything they could to make sure my mum was comfortable. Thank you so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Claydon House Care with Nursing? Extremely Likely

I witnessed friendly and compassionate care from the staff at Claydon House. Clearly, the building was not purpose-built for the task and is looking tired inside. Mother and many of her visitors found the food not up to par, but our overwhelming impression left by Claydon House was the kindness and professionalism of the excellent staff.

Food & Drink: Poor

Karen Grainger, Home Manager at Claydon House Care with Nursing responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review Claydon House. We take great pride in ensuring we deliver safe, high-quality care and facilities.
We are pleased to hear that you witnessed friendly and compassionate staff, and you thought the staff were excellent. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding choices and quality produce when creating a healthy and varied menu, meeting the needs of every resident’s individual dietary requirements. To ensure we continually meet these standards our Chef is involved in a fortnightly forum to discuss what our residents may like to see on the menu in the future, we have received some very good ideas which Chef is now implementing.
We always welcome the opportunity to review and improve upon what we offer and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

We needed urgent respite care for Dad after a medical condition worsened. Claydon was recommended by a friend and I can see why.
A really friendly and responsive home - they have made lots of effort to familiarise Dad and respond to his needs.
He is hoping to stay here permanently now.

Claydon House is a lovely home in a beautiful setting. The staff are helpful and kind. The home is a safe environment for elderly people and has a calm atmosphere. I particularly like the variety of communal rooms, especially the conservatory. There is an interesting range of activities to stimulate the resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Claydon House Care with Nursing? Likely

Staff and management very helpful.My father has been at the home for three years and is very happy. He is well cared for and all his needs have been met. I can't ask for more than that. A good home.

Very pleased with care. Naturally, there have been exceptions at times with certain staff. However, it is recognised they have a difficult job.

Karen Grainger, Home Manager at Claydon House Care with Nursing responded to this review on 23 Jan 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review Claydon House, we really appreciate your feedback. At Claydon House, we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities. We regularly run recruitment campaigns to build our care team, allowing us to be able to provide person-centred care and spend valuable time with our residents. We always welcome the opportunity to improve and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

Since entering Claydon House three years ago, my mother's dementia has gradually taken hold and caring for her has been quite difficult at times. However, this has not detracted from the wonderful care she receives from the staff and I have peace of mind what Claydon House can do for her, what I no longer am able to.

The evident affection that the staff displayed during my Mum's stay in Claydon House, made the experience very satisfactory.
It was clear that the high standard of care and support among the staff derived from the principled and professional approach taken by the management to the social, medical and administrative needs of the residents
My thanks to all who cared for my Mum.

My family and I were very happy with the care provided to my aunt. All the staff were so kind and caring. They always kept her fresh and clean and kept comfortable. The manager and her team made sure my aunt's wishes were carried out regarding her care. All were so kind to both of us, felt very supported. All the staff were always professional well turned out and respectful to the residents.

If we put my relative in Buckingham Palace we couldn't have done better. I feel that she received excellent care whilst at Claydon. It is not an easy job to get excellent care. The patience that the staff had with her was extremely kind and caring. We as a family were always made to feel welcome. The gardens look very good.

Unable to find a vacancy in my home town, I arranged for 1 weeks respite care at Claydon House after a total knee replacement operation. In the event, a further complication was discovered before I was discharged from the hospital - I have an enlarged prostate gland requiring use of a catheter and my stay extended to a total of 15 days. Throughout this time I could not have had better care- the staff at all levels went beyond the call of duty to be pleasant, helpful and kind. There were no faults to be found in that respect. In design my room had minor faults especially in the bathroom where cabinet with deep set mirror had the door opening the wrong way and an inaccessible and non working internal light, shaving was a problem! I believe some corridors were not wheelchair friendly.

Karen Grainger, Home Manager at Claydon House Care with Nursing responded to this review on 28 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay at Claydon house, we are delighted that you were so pleased with the level of care that you received and thank you for your comments about our helpful staff and the overall standard of the home. We would like to apologise for the minor faults in your room and thank you for bringing them to our attention. We are currently reviewing all the fixtures and fittings in our rooms in order to improve the facilities that we offer to residents when they stay at Claydon House.

I immediately felt at home when I first visited Claydon House. I was looking for an exceptionally clean home, caring staff and homely atmosphere where by my mother would be very well looked after. I found that at Claydon House. The manager is an exceptional character and is hands on and communicates with staff, residents and their families. I am very pleased my mother is in Claydon House.

This is the first experience I have had of a care home - and so far is if very pleasant. Good food and very pleasant - good food and comfortable. If I cannot be in my own home, this is so far a very pleasant experience.

Our first visit to view the home was one of warmth and welcome, which continued throughout dad's stay. The staff made us feel comfortable and safe about leaving dad in their care. The manager was approachable and any problems were dealt with swiftly. I would recommend this home to anyone with an elderly relative. I am a health care assistant of 25 years myself and know what to look for in regard to bad practice and I am glad to say observed none. I'd like to say a big thank you to the manager and all the staff at Claydon House.

My father moved to Claydon House six weeks ago and is being very well looked after. The management and staff here are second to none, the building although needing a bit of renovation, as older buildings do, is open, light, warm and welcoming. The food is extremely good, with choice at every meal, but it's really the staff, patient. caring and cheerful who are the stars. Nothing is too much trouble for them!

All I can say coming through the door, I felt at peace. Staff waved, big smiles. Staff couldn't do enough, we were as cared for as my husband. From the word go we trusted everybody. The first staff member was brilliant, tremendous staff they are all an asset so kind to my husband. We now miss our visits to Claydon. We valued the head chef and his Christmas dinner which we attended with my husband. Little things matter the most when we loose our loved ones.

The service and care the staff show you can't fault them, nothing is too much trouble, when you arrive you are greeted with a smile and a cheery hello. Even though you know how hard they work, they are always ready to ask how you are feeling today.
The residents have so much going on for them, they all seem happy, the food is good, something different every day, you could't ask for anything more. A good home.

My mum was well looked after in the four weeks of respite. Some of the furniture, fixture and fittings were very shabby and needed attention.

How likely would you be to recommend Claydon House Care with Nursing? Likely

Karen Grainger, Home Manager at Claydon House Care with Nursing responded to this review on 04 Feb 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Claydon House, we really appreciate your feedback. We always welcome the chance to improve, and are currently reviewing opportunities for refurbishment and renovation in the home. At Claydon House we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities for all of our residents to enjoy. We hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

My mother has been a resident at Claydon House for 9 years. She has just celebrated her 100th birthday. The staff worked very hard to give her a wonderful party, which I and all the family hugely appreciated and which made my mother very happy. The staff are really lovely. They are sensitive and kind and treat my mother with dignity and affection. The chef deserves a medal. He not only provides delicious, nutritious food but is always gentle, kind and flexible. The activity coordinators, the nursing staff and care staff, the house keepers, laundry, kitchen staff are brilliant. Many thanks to all.

Submit a Review for Claydon House Care with Nursing

December 2016

Karen

Karen Grainger

Joined: 2010

As manager of Claydon House, Karen leads her professional staff team in delivering the highest level of residential, nursing and dementia care for up to 47 residents.

Karen took a slightly different career path to many of our Home Managers, having originally trained as a Registered General Nurse in the Royal Air Force. She served for six years in total, including time spent at Headley Court, the renowned rehabilitation centre for injured service personnel.

Having gained valuable end of life care experience working as a nurse in a hospice, Karen then spent nine years working for Continuing Health Care, in which time she was promoted to Lead Nurse for West Sussex and recognised for her dedication to customer service and teamwork. This varied experience has seen Karen develop into a highly effective care home manager in recent years, with Claydon House now benefitting from her hard work, confidence and management skills.

‘I feel privileged to be able to make a difference to people’s lives, knowing that the small things we do really matter to our residents and their loved ones.’

As well as spending time with residents and making sure they are comfortable, safe and happy, Karen sees it as an important part of her role to act as a mentor to her team. She firmly believes that a happy, fulfilled and motivated staff team will be in a better position to consistently deliver a high standard of care.

In her spare time, Karen enjoys reading, walking her dogs and keeping fit. She attends a ‘boot camp’ style fitness group as well as classes 2-3 times each week.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Claydon House Care with Nursing