Partridge House

Heath Hill Avenue, Bevendean, Brighton BN2 4LS

Partridge House is situated in Bevendean in Brighton and is well-respected amongst the local community for providing effective care accommodation for older people that live with dementia, as well as looking after those with physical disabilities.

The purpose-built home is ideal for those needing a long-term home with wheelchair access and a spacious environment perfect for those with mobility issues, that includes en-suite facilities and specially equipped bathrooms.

Partridge House maintains a programme of social activities that are aimed towards improving residents' physical and emotional well-being, when they are not enjoying the generous grounds and local amenities.

Owner: Partridge House

Person in charge: John Howgate (Registered Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Brighton & Hove City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 38 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease

Admission Information: Restricted admission criteria. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Hungarian, Romanian

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Unrestricted visiting

20 parking spaces with ample on street parking in addition.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Partridge House: click here

The Review Score of 7.8 (maximum of 10) for Partridge House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 17 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Partridge House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.1 out of 5 from 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.629 for Partridge House is calculated as follows: ( (131 Excellents x 5) + (67 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 202 Ratings = 4.629

The 3.132 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Partridge House is based on 1 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 = 3

2. Target of 7.6 positive Reviews (38 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 1 Reviews ÷ 7.6 Target = 0.132

7.8 Partridge House has a Review Score of 7.8 (7.761) from 17 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Partridge House?

Reviewer Connection to Partridge House

I have found that the staff are always polite and helpful. My friend has been really ill but when she sees the staff she greets them with a smile and seems really happy. She always appears to be in a comfortable position in bed with cot sides up even though she may be asleep. The staff have to feed my friend usually but are very careful and give her adequate time.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Likely

My husband has been a resident for four years with Alzheimer's disease and heart conditions aged 77. The care home always very welcoming to friends and family at any time including meals. Staff and record keeping very professional and accurate. Wonderfully clean and bright interior with a sunny private garden, caring staff always helping residents with individual needs. Social events organised. First class home which has looked after my husband in the best way I could wish for in every aspect of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

My husband has been in this nursing home for only 4 months. I am very happy with the quality of care he is receiving. The carers I have met on my visits really live up to their name. They genuinely care and are interested in getting to know the residents and try, when possible, to interact with them.

I depend very much on the carers who are on duty at the times of my visits to let me know that my husband has been doing, eating, sleeping etc. There seems to be no way to automatically advise relatives without more admin/paperwork.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

Staff are always approachable, Visitors are eager to help or listen to what you. Visitors are always made to feel welcome. Meals and fluids are offered regularly. The bedrooms are clean and tidy and the care home is always warm. My mother is safe and appears to be mostly happy and content here.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

My mother came to Partridge House two months ago when my father could no longer cope with her. I was worried that her erratic and aggressive behaviour would be difficult for them to deal with. My worries were groundless. The staff at Partridge House have been wonderful. Mum is safe, well cared for and treated with respect. Their kindness and cool professionalism make difficult circumstances easier for her family to bear. I can't thank them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

John Howgate, Registered Manager at Partridge House responded to this review on 15 Sep 2016:

Thank you for your comments, Adelina. These are the sort of comments that keep the team motivated to be as good as they are.

All the staff at Partridge House cared for my mum for 10 months. The level of care was amazing, I felt like they cared for her as if they would do for one of there own relatives. With special thanks to the registered Manager and care staff for making mum feel extra special.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

John Howgate, Registered Manager at Partridge House responded to this review on 19 Jul 2016:

As I said on several occasions, it was our privilege to have cared for your Mum. We miss her too.

My Mother-in-Law has been a permanent resident for the past 2 years and respite prior to that. The whole family are extremely happy with all aspects of her care and welfare and we cannot thank the staff enough for their help and support. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. We would happily recommend this facility to anyone who is in the position of having to find residential care for their loved ones. It is difficult to have to make this decision so knowing that they are in the best place is at least some form of comfort. Many thanks to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

John Howgate, Registered Manager at Partridge House responded to this review on 17 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your supportive words Cheryl.

I am my wife's carer and have been for the last 6 years. My wife has Parkinsons dementia and needs 24 hour care. I got to the stage where I was beginning to find it difficult to cope after having one weeks break in that 6 years. I was offered respite. I can't thank the staff enough for the reassurance they instilled in me that my wife would be well cared for while in their care, and true to their word I could not have entrusted anyone better to look after my wife. I will have no worries about my wife returning there in the future where I will have recharged my batteries and hopefully continue to be able to look after my wife for the foreseeable future. Can't thank you enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

John Howgate, Registered Manager at Partridge House responded to this review on 11 May 2016:

Thank you for your kind words. It was both a privilege and pleasure.

My mum has just had a weeks respite stay here and she had a lovely time. The staff are very caring and my mum was looked after so well, we cannot thank management and team enough for making mum's stay so lovely x

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

My father took EMI placement when discharged from Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton. Pre-arrival visit conducted openly and professionally to all 'corners' of internal and external parts of purpose built facility. On arrival staff aware of safeguarding concern with oral hygiene resulting raising concern with social services, subsequently reported to HM Coroner. With considerable discomfort to themselves, two care assistants were able to reverse my father's acquired oral hygiene problem in an hour or two, something the hospital failed to achieve. The caring approach stimulated my father assuch that he resumed communication verbally/physically, improved behaviour/cognition. He succumbed to bronchopneumonia after 2 days and passed away. The achievement enabled my father to acknowledge family with dignity before his demise. A fond final memory for all.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at Partridge house for 5 years and the care is 100% great, the important thing for me is that the staff care for my mum and the other residents. They also consult me on any changes to medication and I have regular discussion with the care manager. I am very lucky to have found Partridge house, I know my mum is happy at the care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

Partridge House have been looking after my husband for the last year. The staff are fantastic. Professional caring kind and patient. Partridge House is a very bright and cheerful spotlessly clean and comfortable. Nothing is too much trouble. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

Partridge House has a very caring atmosphere and all the staff really seem to enjoy the job they are doing. The Manager is very 'Hands On' and every one, including the office staff, take an interest in the residents. I have to make a 320 mile round trip to visit my Mum and I am always made to feel welcome with the offer of tea and a sandwich. I am always brought up to date with any changes to the care & medication that Mum requires and am often given a copy of a photo of my Mum taking part in an activity. There always seem to be something going on so that the residents are not just sat in chairs or in their rooms.
The home is clean and does not have the odour that seems to permeate some Care Homes. I have experience of several Care Homes and Partridge House is definitely the best by a very long way. My Mum is an escape artiste and has been able to get out of every other Care Home she has stayed in, the staff at Partridge House seem to know exactly where every resident is.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

My mum is very happy to be here and we, as a family are very happy with the way she is looked after. A very nice place.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

Lovely feel about the care home. Everybody that we have met is so caring and helpful.
I feel that my dad is being looked after very well. And great activities for the residents. I think this care home just need to sell its good points a bit more.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

My mother moved into the home in May 2015. She has settled really well and enjoys the company and activities. Staff and management are really helpful and caring. The home is well maintained. Partridge House involves resident and families in activities such as BBQ's in the summer, Christmas parties etc.

How likely would you be to recommend Partridge House? Extremely Likely

December was a very busy month for the care home. There were many visits by carol singers and entertainers organised by the management. This stimulates the residents and is good for visitors. A new home theatre was created and decorated with a large TV installed. My mother received the usual routine care, hairdressing and chiropody. Occasional visits by her GP and dentist are arranged by the staff as required.

Submit a Review for Partridge House

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Partridge House

John Howgate

Job Title: Registered Manager

Joined: 2012

Registered General Nurse since 1993.

Liviu Asmarandei

Job Title: Clinical Lead/ Deputy Manager

Joined: 2017

Registered Nurse

Sue George

Job Title: Home Administrator

Joined: 2013

Diploma in Business Administration.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Partridge House