Hillside Care Home, Sudbury, Suffolk

Hillside Residential Home provides care for up to 44 residents.

The staff ensure that residents can play an active role in the daily activities at the home, and can benefit from a dedicated activities coordinator.

Hillside has a close working relationship with its sister home Mellish Court which is located next door.

The home offers a range of care support, whether trial stays, respite breaks or convalescent care as well as long term residential care.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Jolene Anderson (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Suffolk County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 44 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Cerebral Palsy • Challenging Behaviour • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment & Deafness • Multiple Sclerosis • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Hillside Care Home: click here

posted 11 Dec 2017

Please call 0808 223 5511 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org for further information about current Bed Vacancies at Hillside Care Home.

9.3 Hillside Care Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.311)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Hillside Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 15 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hillside Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.311 for Hillside Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (74 Excellents x 5) + (87 Goods x 4) + (14 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 177 Ratings = 4.311

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hillside Care Home is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.8 positive Reviews (44 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 8.8 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hillside Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Hillside Care Home

• Respite Resident/Service User

I was taken in to give my home carer a relief from the pressure as it was taking a toll on her. It gave her 7 days freedom at no cost.

It was a good break for her and turned out to be a pleasant break for me too.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Likely

I am very pleased with the care my mum is receiving. The staff are always pleasant and nothing seems too much trouble. My mum seems very happy and content although with dementia her mood does change. I feel she is safe now and the worry of her safety has been taken away.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

The staff in the care home are marvellous and do their absolute best to look after the residents. The only negative comment I would say is that the place feels more like a hospital rather than a home. My mother has had several respite stays at Hillside Care Home and we have been pleased with how she has been cared for.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Likely

We have brought the hole in the carpet at No. 20 entrance to the attention of the manager more than once and nothing seems to be done about it. In my opinion, the wheel of his walking frame can catch in this and cause him to fall and at the age of 102, that does not need to happen. We are very worried about this. On the other hand, the food he gets is very good and the rest of his care is OK.

Activities: Very Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Jolene Anderson, Home Manager at Hillside Care Home responded to this review on 18 Aug 2017:

We really appreciate your feedback and are pleased your relative is happy at Hillside and enjoying the food here. We are sorry about the issue with the carpet and can assure you that we are working to resolve this as quickly as possible. Activities are an extremely important part of life at Hillside and we pride ourselves on ensuring all of our residents get the chance to enjoy an activities programme tailored to their individual tastes or needs, including group, 1 –to-1 and pampering sessions and are sorry to see you are not happy with this aspect of your relative’s care. We always welcome the opportunity to improve and our Home Manager’s door is always open if you wish to discuss these issues with her.

The staff are very helpful and caring and mum is very pleased with the care. The room is clean and tidy. My only critique is with the time it has taken to repair the lift, which has taken a while to repair. Mum like the food and mum has settled in quite well.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jolene Anderson, Home Manager at Hillside Care Home responded to this review on 11 Aug 2017:

We really appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that your mother has settled in well with us and that you find the care and support provided by our team at Hillside to be excellent. Our lift is now back in full working order after a wait for parts to be ordered for the repair and we apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you and your relative. We always welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future, our Home Manager’s door is always open if you wish to discuss any aspects of your mother’s care.

Overall, the care provided is very good. Residents are looked after well and are treated with respect. The staff are generally very friendly and approachable and will always answer any questions you may have.

The only issue we have had is with small day to day requirements such as hearing aids not being put in and also being lost. Also, items of clothing appear to have gone missing from time to time or been muddled up. The care home has always been prepared to listen to our concerns on these issues though, and try to work towards addressing these problems as they have occurred.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Likely

We really appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you find the care at Hillside very good and the staff are friendly, approachable and knowledgeable.
We are sorry if you have had some minor issues at the home but delighted that these have been resolved to your satisfaction. We always welcome the opportunity to improve, and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future, our home manager’s door is always open if you wish to discuss any aspects of your relative’s care.

Mum is well cared for and staff are attentive. Mum is happy here and that is a priority. Staff work hard, often rushed off their feet. Very appreciative of all they do.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Likely

I came to Hillside January 2014. I had mental health trouble. Everyone was so kind to me, I decided to stay and make it my home. I have never regretted it. My two daughters come and we go out shopping. I have lived here three and a half years. There is a small coach that takes us out in the summer time. I like to go to the nurseries and buy plants for our tubs. I love gardening.
We also have flowers sent to us from a supermarket every week. I arrange them in vases and make the home look nice.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff are lovely, unfortunately not enough of them. Patients are "left" alone in the sunroom, another resident presses the buzzer for help if needed. Situations have happened due to this that could have been prevented. We always receive a warm welcome and feel that the staff do care about the residents but are so over worked due to a staff shortage, being tired and the potential of mistakes being made.
Have not always been kept up to date with any issues, however, I am hoping with the new management, this will change.
Management - recent changes, therefore unable to comment.
Activities - Not visiting when taking place. Occasional quizzes.
Value for money - have no comparison.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Don't know

Thank you for taking the time to review Hillside. We take great pride in ensuring we deliver safe, high-quality care and facilities and are delighted you have found our staff to be warm and caring.
The safety and well-being of our residents is our primary concern and we always ensure there are sufficient staff available for this to happen. We always welcome the opportunity to improve upon what we offer and thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, should you wish to discuss any aspect of your relative’s care please speak to our home manager.

The establishment is doing a great job caring for my mother under maybe less than perfect conditions. Staff are always pleasant and attentive and I'm sure my mother would not be classified as the ideal resident! Please carry on with the great work as I know that if my mother was conscious of what has been done for her, she would much appreciate it, so I say thank you very much on her behalf.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

Hillside Care Home provides the reassurance that Mum is safely looked after and if there is a problem the staff will always phone me to advise. All the staff interact with mum whenever their paths cross, a friendly smile or a joke shared makes a difference. Staff very supportive to family members when the situation their loved ones are in becomes difficult to deal with. Thank you for all you do.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very pleased to see my friend at long last coming out of her room to mix with the other residents. She has been withdrawn into herself which is not like her, but since her husband's death had lost interest in everything except her dog Heidi.
I hope the staff can continue to encourage my friend to come out of her room, I certainly will.
The staff, without exception, are lovely people, I am happy in the knowledge that my friend is being well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother and I visit a friend quite regularly. I have seen a change for the better in our friend over the last 2 -3 weeks.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum was a resident at Hillside from Sept 2014 until recently. We have always been happy with the care she received.

How likely would you be to recommend Hillside Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have returned for respite care and the staff look after me well. I join in some of the activities but the staff respect my choice if I don't wish to join or attend activities.

Submit a Review for Hillside Care Home

December 2016

Jolene

Jolene Anderson

Joined: 2015

As Manager of Hillside, Jolene leads her professional staff team in delivering the highest level of residential care for up to 21 residents.

Jolene has worked in elderly care for the past seven years, in which time she has gained experience in supporting people living with dementia. She has also held a Compliance Auditing role, in which she was responsible for ensuring high quality care was being delivered across the care home group. She has completed a Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care and is currently working towards her NVQ Level 5 in Management and Leadership.

This wide-ranging experience has equipped Jolene well for her role at Hillside, where she will be working hard to ensure that those in her care lead happy and fulfilling lives, whilst maintaining choice over the care and support they receive.

‘I strongly believe that a hands-on approach is essential in creating a safe, warm and homely atmosphere where our residents can maintain their independence.’

As someone who is dedicated to best practice in elderly care, Jolene believes in maintaining strong relationships with residents and their relatives and understands the important contribution that these relationships make to the successful running of a care home.

Away from work, Jolene lives locally and enjoys running, dancing and spending time with her family.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hillside Care Home