Mount Olivet Nursing Home

2 Great Headland Road, Paignton TQ3 2DY

Mount Olivet Nursing Home specialises in advanced nursing care needs, with dedicated and qualified staff maintaining a secure and friendly atmosphere.

Living at Mount Olivet will ensure that you are considered as an individual and receive distinctive, personalised care that respects individuality while they provide dignified and professional assistance to you. The home is well supported by the local multidisciplinary healthcare team so you can be assured that your clinical, personal and social care needs are fully met.

Residents can enjoy Mount Olivet Nursing Home's commanding position with sea views overlooking Torbay from Torquay to Brixham. Mount Olivet is an environment that is enriching, with gardens to relax in, spacious lounges to meet in, along with a host of activities, entertainment and visitors on a weekly basis. Residents can join in as much or as little as they wish.

Meals are freshly prepared on-site using local fruit, vegetable and meat suppliers and a daily choice from the menu ensures all tastes are catered for including special dietary needs.

Rated ' Outstanding' by CQC Jan 2018.

Group: GrayAreas Ltd

Person in charge: Karen Dykes (Registered Manager/Clinical lead)

Local Authority / Social Services: Torbay Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 30 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Open Visiting

Large Car Park

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Mount Olivet Nursing Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Mount Olivet Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 40 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Mount Olivet Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 19 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.827 for Mount Olivet Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (409 Excellents x 5) + (48 Goods x 4) + (15 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 473 Ratings = 4.827

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Mount Olivet Nursing Home is based on 19 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6 positive Reviews (30 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 19 Reviews ÷ 6 Target Reached = 1

9.8 Mount Olivet Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.827) from 40 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Mount Olivet Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Mount Olivet Nursing Home

I really would not fault Mount Olivet, neither would mum. Within a couple of days, she regarded it as home and was completely relaxed and happy. She said staff could not have been better or more helpful. I was always made to feel welcome it certainly felt like home. The help and support from initial contact and all of mum's stay could not be bettered. Thank you all so much for making a difficult time easier.

How likely would you be to recommend Mount Olivet Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

Karen Dykes, Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 18 Apr 2018:

Lovely words and thoughts. Thank you from us all here at Mount Olivet. It is a pleasure to welcome Mum and her family to the home.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mount Olivet. My mum has been spending her last days here. The level of care, professionalism and kindness has been OUTSTANDING. The numbers and quality of staff really differentiate Mount Olivet. It's pretty horrible watching our mother die but also extremely comforting to know that her last hours were in such fine hands.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 27 Feb 2018:

Such a difficult time for you and your family, it was a pleasure to be able to support you and mum. Sincere thanks from us all at Mount Olivet for your lovely words.

My mother came to Mount Olivet for end of life care. In the time Mum was there, I found the attitude of every staff member I met, from kitchen staff to housekeeping to care assistants, to nurses, to managers and admin/finance, absolutely outstanding - they were so helpful and caring and concerned and professional. They were all a great source of comfort to me and our family.
They really helped to relieve the stress we were under because we knew Mum was in very safe and caring hands.
In my view the standard of care and nursing they gave Mum was outstanding.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 21 Feb 2018:

Thank you for your wonderful view of the home and it's staff. It was a honor to care for your mother and wish you and your family well. Kind regards from us all here at Mount Olivet.

My friend spent some time in this home. I visited her daily and she was very comfortable there and her care was excellent.
Everyone treated my dear friend with great kindness.
I want to thank them for that and for all they did for her.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 18 Jan 2018:

Lovely words and thoughts. We all thank you from Mount Olivet and are proud that we could provide your friends care.

I am very happy that I have come to reside at Mount Olivet Nursing Home. I can at last start to live my life. The food is good and the carers are excellent, the nurses are superb. The home has a nice atmosphere, no visiting restrictions (which is very important to me) and I only wish I could have come here four years ago after having a stroke. I told someone viewing today the home is "wonderful".

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 08 Jan 2018:

Thank you, David. We are very happy that you feel these wonderful things. It is great to have you here and all the staff appreciate the wonderful feedback.

My friend has been in Mount Olivet now for over 18 months. I visit her every day and cannot speak too highly of the care she has received. Sadly, she now has dementia but is happy, well cared for and very comfortable. The staff are professional, caring, smartly dressed and compassionate. The meals are excellent and her room is always well decorated and extremely clean.
I am always pleased to recommend Mount Olivet to others.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 03 Jan 2018:

Fantastic feedback for the home. Very much appreciated by myself and team. Warmest regards.

Four years ago my brother had a stroke. After two bad experiences, we have now found a friendly caring nursing home.
My brother is now a very positive, happy person. The food is excellent, carers who really do care and it is really made to feel like home. Why did we not find this years ago? Looking forward now to spending quality time together.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 21 Dec 2017:

Lovely thought's. Thank you from us all at Mount Olivet.

We were so relieved to find such a lovely, friendly home for my mother in her last few weeks.
The nursing and care staff treated mum with great care and dignity and did everything they could to meet her needs.
She had a comfortable room overlooking an attractive garden. The room was always kept clean and clothes were beautifully laundered.
The kitchen staff went out of their way to give food and drink that mum liked and made sure that family members had meals when required. All the staff were kind to my mother and our family. It was a great comfort to us knowing that our mother was so well looked after at the end of her life.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 30 Nov 2017:

It is such a pleasure to get wonderful feedback from all the staff here at the home. I am pleased that we were able to care for your mother as she and her family expected. Thank you.

Excellent care provided by the manager and her team. Warm, welcoming environment for anyone stay and visitors alike.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 29 Nov 2017:

We all thank you here at Mount Olivet for that lovely review.

My mother-in-law came from the hospital after spending time in two residential homes. From the moment we walked through the door the staff were friendly, caring and sensitive to the needs of the patient. At last, my mother-in-law's pain was managed and she was cared for with compassion and sensitivity. At a difficult time, I can't explain how reassuring it was to know that she was, at last, having the best care she deserved. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Many thanks. We all very much appreciate your lovely feedback.

Mount Olivet is an amazing place. My dad has been so happy there and the staff have been wonderful with him. All his needs are met and his health has much improved since moving there. It is such a relief for our family and it's so good to know he genuinely loves being there and is always in such a good mood when we visit him. This, of course, is due to Mount Olivet's staff and their attitude and genuine enjoyment and engagement with our dad. The home is wonderfully run and organized and all standards are excellent. Really couldn't wish for a better place for him!

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 06 Oct 2017:

Great to hear that we all at the home are providing a a lovely environment for your dad to live in. The staff all appreciate your wonderful review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know our standards are excellent for him.

Since Dad has been a resident at Mount Olivet a huge weight has lifted from our (my brother and I) shoulders.
We know he is safe, loved, so incredibly well looked after and most of all, happy.
I cannot state just how much I appreciate this home and the wonderful staff.
I would recommend it to all.
Dad's every need is met and the staff go above and beyond to ensure he is safe and well.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 26 Sep 2017:

What wonderful feedback Sam. We all greatly appreciate your thoughts, and we will continue to ensure Dad stays very happy. Thank you from us all here at the home.

Feedback from my father and my own experience of dealing with and visiting the home was the warm and friendly atmosphere and professionalism of the staff and management. I was reassured my father was being cared for when I could no longer support him at home.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 25 Sep 2017:

Thank you for the great feedback for us all at Mount Olivet.

My mum was a resident of Mount Olivet Nursing Home and I can not praise the home high enough they looked after my mum so well with such professionalism and respect / dignity my mum had dementia and for the short time she was with them she was so happy , comfortable the staff are so lovely very professional and treat the residents with the highest respect and dignity the cleanliness of the home is that of a very high standard as is the care, my father and I cannot thank everyone enough for the wonderful care mum received while she was a resident, Mount Olivet Nursing Home is an exceptional nursing home and deserves every award they receive and more we are very grateful for the care mum received and after she passed away in July she was given the highest respect and care I would personally recommend the home to anyone it's a lovely, beautiful home and we cannot thank everyone enough ???????

Excellent care, the staff are very friendly and attentive. My mum enjoys the food and the choice available. Her room is kept very clean and my mum is very happy there.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 08 Sep 2017:

We are all very grateful for that lovely review and really pleased that mum is very happy here at Mount Olivet. Thank you.

I am so pleased that we have been able to find such a lovely place for my mum. The staff are all very kind, friendly and attentive. As I live abroad, it is very reassuring to know that she is in such caring hands. Mum is very content and it's so nice to see her smile. Many thanks to all the staff who make her so happy and comfortable.

Lovely review Julia. Many thanks from all the staff here at the home. It is wonderful to know that Mum is so happy and content here.

What a relief it was to find Mount Olivet. As my mother's needs became more and more extensive it was clear we needed a home that could provide full nursing care and immediately when I entered Mount Olivet I knew we had found the right one. My mum is very well cared for and treated with dignity and respect. To top it all she has a fabulous room that overlooks Torbay.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 01 Sep 2017:

I am so pleased that we have been able to provide the nursing care that you required. Mum settled lovely and loves her amazing view.
Thank you for your really lovely feedback.

I have come over from Dubai to visit my grandad in his new care home. He has settled in so well. The staff have been excellent. They are all friendly and welcoming. The garden is lovely with a sea view. We are all so pleased and lucky that we have found such a wonderful home for grandad. I couldn't think of anywhere nicer that he could spend his last years.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 17 Jul 2017:

Thank you for such a lovely review of the home and staff. It is always very mush appreciated to hear how resident's families have such positive views of us.

My grandad moved to this home from London and has settled very well due to the staff being extremely friendly and welcoming. He has a lovely garden room where he loves sitting or looking out from in the bad weather.
The staff go above and beyond to fulfil his needs.
I would highly recommend this home to anyone who is thinking of using it, as it has a very homely feel.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. The staff all appreciate your thoughts and take pleasure in providing quality care. Many thanks for your recommendation.

A wonderful care home for my father. Good location with beautiful sea views. Rooms are nicely kept and the whole building is kept to a high standard. The staff are brilliant from the cleaners to the nursing staff to management. They are professional, committed, but most importantly they are caring, friendly and helpful. As a family, we could not have wished for anywhere nicer for our loved one. I have no negative comments whatsoever about this care home.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 28 Apr 2017:

Thank you from all the team here. Lovely comments and feedback. Kind Regards to you and your family.

Wonderful, friendly staff and care - couldn't ask for more.
Thanks

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 27 Apr 2017:

Thank you Tina. Grateful for all your thoughts and feedback. Kind regards.

My Dad was moved from London to Mount Olivet to be near his family. The staff are friendly, helpful, caring and nothing is too much trouble. My Dad tells me everytime I see him how happy he is, how the food is lovely (he is very fussy) and how the staff are so kind and friendly to him. I couldn't ask for any more for him.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 19 Apr 2017:

How lovely to hear that your Dad has settled really well into his new home and we hope to continue in ensuring his happiness. Thank you from us all.

My father-in-law was moved from London in March this year. We were very apprehensive as he lived in London most of his life and had always said he wouldn't move to Devon.
After years of trying to persuade him, he finally agreed.
He tells us every time we see him what a wonderful place Mount Olivet is. The food is lovely, the staff are very kind and helpful, he has a garden room and loves to sit out in the garden. He said he is very happy there.

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback. It has been lovely for us all here to listen of times spent in London and life history. We are very pleased that he has settled so well and is happy.

After having an operation I came into a very safe room with lots of care.
I was given good food three times a day, coffee and tea between meals, more if I wanted it.
They had many staff day and night always around seeing if I was alright for everything.
All the nurses had time to talk to me and they didn't have to keep running off.

How likely would you be to recommend Mount Olivet Nursing Home? Likely

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 13 Mar 2017:

Thank you, Carole, for the feedback. It was a pleasure to be involved with your re-enablement and enhancing your recovery, we wish you well and hope you are back to full fitness. Good Health to you.

Excellent caring staff that not only care for my father, who has advanced dementia but support and care for my mother who, after 60 years of marriage, had to make the hardest decision of her life when placing my father with them.
Living far away from my parents, I am confident that they are both well supported. My father has settled very well and all his needs are met.
The manager goes above and beyond her duty - recently making sure my mother's birthday was not forgotten ( her first one on her own). My mother often speaks about the staff treating her like family.
I couldn't wish for my dad to be in a better place. Thank you, management and staff.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 22 Feb 2017:

Many thanks for that wonderful feedback. It is a pleasure to be able to comfort and reassure.
All the staff look forward to mum's visits with her lovely little dog, Jack. Knowing they are both
happy makes the staff happy.

The care home was way above our expectations. The overall care was given with compassion and care. Mum was always kept clean and all her needs were met. Staff were ever so caring.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 05 Feb 2017:

Thank you from us all here at Mount Olivet. Mum fondly remembered and greatly missed.

Excellent - very well looked after and cared for. This nursing home is very well run with a caring manager and staff. I would highly recommend this nursing home for the care of loved ones.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 06 Jan 2017:

Thank you. We all appreciate your thought's here at Mount Olivet. Kind Regards.

The staff all ar extremely caring and are kind and considerate at all times. The trained staff are very approachable and are highly skilled in taking appropriate medical action when needed. Parkinson's is a very complex problem and is different for everyone. The nurses and carers adapt very well. Personally, when times are stressful and emotional the nurses are always there to help.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 21 Dec 2016:

Thank you for that great review. We appreciate that we are meeting Dad's care needs and welcome support from you and your family.

Having reluctantly moved from her previous nursing home my Mother was very unhappy and I did wonder if this would set her back. But I need not have worried. She soon settled under the care she received. The carers were caring, compassionate and listened to what she had to say.
The management and staff work well as a team and this shows when just walking through the home and seeing the entire staff working as a team and all to a high standard.
Best of all they make my mum laugh and smile everyday.

Thank you for that lovely description of our home. The team strive to ensure the highest standards of care and we all appreciate your feedback.

Professional yet huge empathy and compassion. Head nurse has lots of experience and knows local surgery well which benefits the patients. Food is excellent. Care is genuine, caring and respectful. This is a well run and fantastic care home. Whilst it is expensive, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Many thanks for your lovely, positive review of our home. Best wishes to you and your family.

My mother has a superb room with wonderful views at Paignton. The care is first class as is the food.
A superb home.
Mother is very happy.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 24 Nov 2016:

Thank you. That is such a lovely view of our home, and we are pleased that your Mother is very happy.

My dad has been in the home for a few weeks, I feel so at ease him being there. The staff are fantastic and my dad feels like he is staying in a hotel, not a care home.

I visit every day, when I leave I never need to worry as I know he is in very safe hands.
Food and cleanliness is 100%. Fantastic home.

Karen Dykes, Registered Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 21 Nov 2016:

Many Thanks from all the staff here Bev. I hope your dad is continuing in good health at home. Wishing him good health we all send our love and regards.

Very friendly, welcoming, caring staff who are doing a wonderful job making my dear Aunt comfortable.

Karen Dykes, Registered Care Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 09 Nov 2016:

Many thanks for that lovely feedback from us all here at Mount Olivet Nursing Home.

Excellent nursing and care. Clean and comfortable. Good home cooked food. Rooms bright and airy and the building is in good repair. Garden is well maintained and very welcoming, non-restrictive access for family and friends.

Karen Dykes, Registered Care Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 31 Oct 2016:

Thank you, we all appreciate that great feedback. It is very important to us that your Mum is happy , safe and content here at Mount Olivet.

In a very short time I needed to find the best nursing care home available for my father who at 87years old was in the last stages of lung cancer. When I viewed Mount Olivet Nursing Home I was so relieved to find such a warm, homely place with stunning views of Torbay. The dedication, professionalism and genuine care by staff (whether I was present of not) makes Mount Olivet Nursing Home a wonderful nursing home for your nearest and dearest.

Karen Dykes, Clinical Lead/Manager at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 28 Sep 2016:

Kind Regards to you Maureen. Fondest memories here at Mount Olivet of your Father.

My son was diagnosed with advanced cancer and entered the above care home. The help my son was given was beyond the best that any mother could have wished for. That help and care was also passed onto myself and to the rest of my son's relatives and friends. towards the end of there were five of us that were allowed to stay for several days and nights to be with my son until the end. Thank you, thank you.

Karen Dykes, Clinical Lead at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 11 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your lovely review. The staff here at Mount Olivet will have fond memories of your son. I'm so glad we could be there to support him and his family.

Mum lived at Mount Olivet following a second major stroke disabled her, meaning that dad was unable to continue looking after her. Staff at Mount Olivet were always caring, seemed to enjoy their work and made a loving, safe and happy place for the residents. Mum always enjoyed the food provided. The clinical lead at Mount Olivet has taken the management of care at the home to a new level of excellence. I always felt confident in her and the rest of the nursing team to look after mum in the right way, they made her comfortable throughout her life there to the very end. If you had to live in a nursing home it always helps if there is a view of the sea!

Karen Dykes, Clinical Lead at Mount Olivet Nursing Home responded to this review on 21 Jul 2016:

On behalf of all the team here at the home thank you Rob for that very thoughtful review. Mum fondly remembered by us all.

I have found the staff very kind and helpful, but my sister is not happy but this is due to a worsening of her mental state, and therefore I am aware that some of the things she tells me are not true.

How likely would you be to recommend Mount Olivet Nursing Home? Likely

Excellent, very well looked after. Comfortable, lovely room, food excellent and plenty. Staff are great and friendly.

The staff are extremely caring and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. The room is adequate but could do with being slightly bigger but outlook onto a pretty garden is pleasant.

The food on balance is good but hot food tends to be lukewarm by the time it reaches the patient. Activities: The home would benefit from a nicer lounge where people could meet one another and have some form of entertainment. No effort seems to be made to stimulate those patients who although ill are still compos mentis.

Submit a Review for Mount Olivet Nursing Home

Karen

Karen Dykes

Job Title: Registered Manager/Clinical Lead

Joined: 2013

Karen joined us from Paignton Hospital and has over 20 years experience working in the hospital setting with elderly patients. She has a very caring nature and applies her substantial clinical expertise and training easily to any situation.

As well as being our Clinical Lead for 3 year's, Karen has recently acquired the Registered Care Manager's post at Mount Olivet. She continues to ensure quality, effective and safe living to all of the resident's.

Stacey

Stacey Johnson

Job Title: Social Activity pioneer

Joined: 2014

Stacey has been with the home since 2014. Originally a HCA she was encouraged to be involved with the new role and NAPA trained to a high standard. She is an active member of staff who ensures our resident's social well-being is provided to a high standard. She engages with the local community to promote relationships and involvement.

Kim

Kim Hutton

Job Title: Financial Officer/ Administrator

Joined: 2015

Kim joined the company in 2015 to oversee the companies finance and administration. Many years of experience in the field. Involved with the day to day running at Mount Olivet and always available for advise around the financial aspects of the home.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Mount Olivet Nursing Home