Meyrick Rise, Bournemouth, Dorset

Meyrick Rise provides respite, nursing, and residential care for older people. The home is located close to the centre of Bournemouth and is ideally situated for local shops and amenities, including local beaches.

Meyrick Rise has bright and airy rooms throughout, with all single occupancy rooms offering en-suite facilities.

Residents can enjoy a dining experience consisting of fresh produce cooked on the premises. The home has a range of food choices on offer and residents can participate in the development of the menu. The home's chef can also accommodate special dietary requirements.

The activities co-ordinator works with residents and their families to arrange a variety of activities to meet individual needs. There are daily events in the home and regular excursions.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Denise Arthur-Briskham (Regional Support Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Bournemouth Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 73 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Meyrick Rise: click here

9.6 Meyrick Rise has a Review Score of 9.6 (9.649)

The Review Score of 9.6 (maximum of 10) for Meyrick Rise is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 21 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Meyrick Rise in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.649 for Meyrick Rise is calculated as follows: ( (165 Excellents x 5) + (79 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 248 Ratings = 4.649

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Meyrick Rise is based on 18 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.6 positive Reviews (73 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 18 Reviews ÷ 14.6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Meyrick Rise?

Reviewer Connection to Meyrick Rise

Our mum has come here for respite and due to her circumstances will need to stay. She has never wanted to live in a care facility so it has been a hard decision but we have found this team so supportive! The carers are lovely always smiling and wanting to do all they can. The management are exceptional with suggesting ideas, follow-up plans and support. My mum has settled better than I ever thought she would and it has really taken some stress form us. The place is clean and comfortable and homely. The food has a variety and of a good standard.
We like that the residents are encouraged to socialise and join in but can have peace in their own rooms or gardens. I would stay here.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

Not having known of this care home before my father in law was admitted, I was very impressed with the high quality of service provided.
The friendly atmosphere and attention to detail impressed me.
My husband and I, as well as other relatives, speak very highly of the care home.
As to be expected, my father in law initially wanted to be back in his own home, but due to his physical health, was unable to.
He very soon adapted to the care home and the remaining days of his life were happy and comfortable.
The staff are magic!
There is no doubt that due to the superb care he received it extended his life way beyond what was expected by several months.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

From the initial contact and throughout my mother's stay at Meyrick Rise, all the staff showed the greatest care and professionalism towards my mother (and other residents). She has enjoyed her period of respite care and leaves in much better health than when she arrived.

Justine Cowell, BDM at Meyrick Rise responded to this review on 11 Sep 2017:

Thank you, John, for your very kind words, We are so happy that your mum had a great time with us and look forward to her next stay. She was a delight to care for and hope that she will come back and visit us again soon, even if it is just to pop in for coffee. I know our residents would love to see her again, she would be very welcome!

This care home is a lovely and friendly place to go. I am always made welcome by all of the staff and they are happy to help you. My grandmother has never been so happy. The last care home she was in I would give 1 star and Meyrick Rise, I would give 5 stars.
I would not fault this care home by appearance or staff. This is a like a 5-star hotel, but better.

Justine Cowell, BDM at Meyrick Rise responded to this review on 11 Sep 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are delighted that your Grandmother is so happy here and she is a delight to care for.

The staff are excellent, well trained, excellent and very understanding.
My aunt was a resident here 18months ago after breaking her femur.
She has now got to the point of needing a care home and I had no hesitation in reserving her a place here.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

My week's respite stay at Meyrick Rise was superb. I cannot fault the professionalism of the staff at all levels and am looking forward to returning again next year for another holiday respite. Many thanks to all.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

My late Father spent his last 7 weeks at Meyrick Rise. Initially, they weren't sure if they could manage someone who was very ill and sometimes displayed difficult behaviour. Despite these understandable initial concerns they formulated a plan with us and dad's medical team and ensured it was acted upon. Throughout this short time, up to and including his death, all the staff were extremely warm, caring, friendly and always respectful to his and our requests.

The building and grounds are also lovely and its a great central location in Bournemouth.

I would highly recommend it.

Activities: Don't Know

My mother entered the home for a week's respite while we (her carers) went on holiday. When we returned, she had contracted a UTI and we were unable to take her back to her home where she lived alone. The home was very sympathetic and agreed to keep my mum until we could find her a permanent place. The staff were wonderful and gave my mum a lot of attention and care. Despite her erratic behaviour caused by the UTI the staff were understanding and did their best to ensure she was safe and well. I would recommend Meyrick Rise to anyone as a good care home for both respite and permanent care. We owe a big thank you to Meyrick Rise.

Justine Cowell, BDM at Meyrick Rise responded to this review on 11 Jul 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind words, we were so happy to be able to help you in your time of need and she was a lovely lady to care for, picking up on her UTI early gave us the chance to sort things out for her with her GP very early in her stay. We wish all of you the best for the future.

My family and I were very pleased with the way my Mother was treated whilst she was a resident in Meyrick Rise recently.
She was admitted from hospital for end-of-life care and was treated with the utmost respect and dignity at all times. Mum was fond of the carers and nurses, although she herself was not always cooperative when they were trying to care for her!

As a family, we were always welcomed into the home and the staff did all they could to make us feel at ease whilst visiting Mum who was deteriorating fairly rapidly.
Nobody minded what time of day we visited and how long we stayed, this ensured that those of us who work could come and go freely, fitting the visits in with our work commitments.

I would certainly recommend this care home to other families who face the same situation as we did. We always got the impression the staff looking after Mum did genuinely care about her and where trying to make sure that her last few weeks were as comfortable and pain-free as possible.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

I have visited my friend today in Meyrick Rise and I have not seen her for some time. She is absolutely blossoming in the home, she has been treated very well by all the staff, the food is lovely, and she is kept busy with a whole host of activities. When I visited yesterday they were playing scrabble on a huge board which was the size of a person! She tells me that one of her friends in the home recently went swimming which the home organised for her as a wish. I honestly am so happy to have visited yesterday. My mind has been completely put at rest. I have to thank the staff for making me so welcome too.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

My attendance at the home is limited since sadly my wife died after over 5 years as a resident. By invitation from the management by occasional visits do not allow a full in-depth review. However, my impression is based upon coverage with friends, staff and my own observations. The staff certainly seem to be of high calibre demonstrating above average care and consideration which would be a little disturbing as is the slight uncertainty relating to the appointment of a new manager. Over the past few years, the average period of time the home manager is regularly less than 12 months, this exceptionally high turnover could affect continuity and the smooth running of most organisations. The present acting management and deputy appear to be efficient, extremely popular and respected by staff and residents who I am aware would welcome some confirmation of their permanency. In conclusion, the standard of food and preparation is of a standard.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

In every possible area, Meyrick Rise was excellent.
It appeared more like a hotel (with care) than a care home.
All staff, food, comfort and care could not be better.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

My mother age 90 years has been cared for by her key workers, both who are excellent ladies. The lady in the office keeps me updated with any problems along with the rest of the lovely caring staff. Good food. Thank you to the catering staff and the ladies who arranged the leisure activities and the lady in admin. Great team.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

Very satisfied with my experience at Meyrick Rise.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

My sister has always been treated very well. The staff are all very pleasant and welcoming when they see us, they are always happy to discuss my sisters care and treatment with me.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Likely

Meyrick Rise is a lovely bright and warm home. The rooms are modern and attractive. My mother is very comfortable and happy there. The staff are most attentive and always smiling and helpful. The standard of the food is amazing and it's very plentiful. I'm very happy with mother's care in every way.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

We have found Meyrick Rise very friendly and welcoming. It was with an element of anxiety that we had to bring our mum to respite care. However, these anxieties were quickly allayed and mum is happily settled and has improved in outlook and demeanour since arriving.
We feel as a family very confident at leaving mum here as we know and have seen the excellent care she receives from the nurses, carers activities ladies and cleaners. They all pay attention to detail and ensure mum is safe and happy. Many Thanks

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

Welcoming, caring, supportive environment. Staff do their best to keep residents occupied and comfortable.
Spontaneous trips out suit my dad. Dad feels very well looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

I have visited this facility 8-10 times over the last few months and have always found the home welcoming, clean and organised. I have been greeted courteously and helpfully. Staff appear knowledgeable and caring and will give advice regarding physical/mental state and how best to conduct visits (duration etc). The home is typical of where I could imagine myself in some years to come and I think this is a good indicator of how well it is run and what good facilities exist, from the food to entertainment and recreation. I would certainly recommend Meyrick Rise to others.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

I was well looked after and all problems were sorted quickly. Room etc was very comfortable and getting up in the morning, looked after well. Congratulations to all the staff, thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Extremely Likely

The building and ambiance is 5 star. I required a place in a nursing home in order to stay for a short while after being in hospital before they could discharge me as I live alone. My son enquired of several suitable ones (it was New Year). This was the one that showed most interest over the telephone. Since my arrival I have been treated with the utmost respect and care by every member of staff. The food is very light and fresh and if the bell is rung it has been answered promptly and my request - usually for a pot of tea answered promptly. I would most certainly return.

How likely would you be to recommend Meyrick Rise? Likely

Submit a Review for Meyrick Rise

Recipient: brighterkind

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Meyrick Rise