Goatacre Manor Care Centre, Calne, Wiltshire

Situated in the picturesque hamlet of Goatacre in Wiltshire, Goatacre Manor offers residential and nursing care. Care is available for people aged 18 and older with physical disabilities and people requiring end of life care.

The home is set within a beautifully refurbished Grade II listed building which boasts impressive views of the surrounding gardens and countryside. Accommodation consists of spacious, comfortable communal lounges and well equipped, furnished bedrooms, each with en-suite facilities. Single occupancy en-suite rooms and en-suite rooms for couples wishing to remain together are provided.

Residents can enjoy a range of activities at Goatacre Manor and they can also benefit from the homes aquatic therapy suite which includes a therapy pool and jacuzzi.

The team of friendly and experienced staff strive to deliver high-quality care in a warm and homely atmosphere ensuring that the needs and values of each resident are respected at all times.

Owner: Goatacre Manor Care Ltd

Person in charge: Stephen Oswald (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Old Age • Physical Disability

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

There are no restrictions to visiting. Resident's family and friends are welcome to visit at any time.

Parking is available.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Goatacre Manor Care Centre: click here

9.3 Goatacre Manor Care Centre has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.344)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Goatacre Manor Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 32 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Goatacre Manor Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.719 for Goatacre Manor Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (280 Excellents x 5) + (88 Goods x 4) + (9 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 377 Ratings = 4.719

The 4.625 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Goatacre Manor Care Centre is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target = 0.625

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Goatacre Manor Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Goatacre Manor Care Centre

A wide range of Christmas activities for all to enjoy open invitation for relatives to join in. Warm and welcoming atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Goatacre Manor Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Steve Oswald, Registered Manager at Goatacre Manor Care Centre responded to this review on 17 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your kind comments.

I cannot praise the manager and staff enough for the care they are giving and showing my aunt. We last saw her in hospital and to see how much she has improved is remarkable. I was worried she wouldn't settle being an independent lady but she is so happy and content. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and they all have a happy disposition which reflects onto residents and visitors. We were able to spend the weekend with her as we were offered a flat due to the distance we had to come which was fantastic.

Steve Oswald, Registered Manager at Goatacre Manor Care Centre responded to this review on 01 Dec 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments. It is a pleasure caring for your Aunt.

My sister spent the last 3 months of her life at Goatacre.
Everyone - whatever their job - was kind and supportive.
She was in some distress due to her condition and they did their best to make this time as comfortable as possible for her.
At the end, while we sat with her for the last 2 days, the staff were exceptionally kind and sensitive with their discreet care and attention to detail, based on years of experience.
They made a very difficult time into a very special time for us all.

Steve Oswald, Registered Manager at Goatacre Manor Care Centre responded to this review on 25 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments. This is greatly appreciated by the team.

My brother spent his last end of life 10 days at Goatacre Manor Care Centre. When visiting him at that time it was my experience to find a nice professional but very caring nursing home in which he looked after so well for his last days at this very difficult time.
I know that he was as happy and contented at this time as any person can be in the circumstances at this very emotional time.
Our family are very thankful to all the staff for all their kind care both to my brother and I received when there.

My late husband was a resident for end of life care following his battle with cancer. The welcome and friendly support of wonderful staff made this awful time more bearable. Nothing was too much trouble for the senior manager, nursing staff and carers. My husband was given a private out of the way room so we could have space and private family time before he passed away. The only small criticism I have is that to access my husband we had to meander through numerous corridors and elderly residents, most of which had dementia, we found this uncomfortable especially as my husband was young in this place.

How likely would you be to recommend Goatacre Manor Care Centre? Likely

The care home is wonderful. They look at individual needs and are constantly striving to improve. As a relative of a resident, I am always informed from their fun of any changes.
The outings in the home's minibus are varied and create such excitement for all. To sum up the atmosphere you feel with this home is "nothing is too much trouble".
I will be forever grateful for how they settled mum and how they continue to care for her.

My father was admitted to 'Goatacre Manor Care Centre' towards the end of his life, spending only a month in their care. He was admitted at very short notice, when as a family, we became unable to continue to care for him at his home. From the day of his admission, we found attitude and care at the home to be excellent and we know that my father was as happy as possible over the time he had there.

My wife was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2011. Despite partial left lung resection and chemo the cancer appeared in the lymph glands and then secondary in bones. Home care became impossible and we were really lucky to obtain an en-suite room at Goatacre Manor. The staff were marvellous, so kind and considerate. My sons and I ensure that at least one of us were there all the time. The help we received was wonderful. Thank you Goatacre.

My elderly mother received first class care during the 10 months stay at this nursing home. She was treated with compassion, kindness and affection. The initial cosy, homely atmosphere which greeted one, continued during her stay. First floor rooms looked out on to rural views and pretty gardens and lawns. I liked the home from home atmosphere created by caring, humorous staff. Also the food choice was good.

Taken into care at 'Goatacre Manor Care Centre' by ambulance direct from hospital in very poor condition. Unable to use my legs or feet through extreme pain (arthritis). Over the next three months vary caring physiotherapists and staff enabled me to move my legs over the edge of the bed, gaining confidence more with help into an armchair. From there the 2 physiotherapists arranged for me to use the physiotherapy pool and then moving onto take a few steps with a zimmer frame. Brought home in August by nurse and physiotherapists. Now with the help of my registered carer and son, I am learning to walk again.

Goatacre Manor is a fantastic care home. The staff are brilliant, caring, friendly and helpful. My aunt has been a resident for 7 months now and is extremely happy there. The food looks amazing, my aunt raves about it all the time. She has met many friends there too. I would recommend Goatacre Manor definitely.

How likely would you be to recommend Goatacre Manor Care Centre? Likely

I first came to Goatacre Manor for a rest after my condition worsened after a few days here it felt like home and I decided to stay on a permanent basis. The staff are all so friendly and helpful and no request is ever too big. They let me personalise my room with whatever I liked. I find chewing difficult now. So the food is prepared specially so I can still enjoy my meals. It's like a home away from home.

This was the first time we have used Goatacre Manor. My husband was very happy with his short break there especially the helpful staff. He was treated with respect and we will be using Goatacre again when we need more respite care.

Whenever I visited my Grandmother (who was recently a resident at Goatacre Manor Care Centre) I always found her to be happy, and very well cared for. The staff did a wonderful job of taking care of my Grandmother and were always really attentive to us family members. The home is in beautiful rural surroundings in a lovely building, and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this home to others. Keep up the good work!

I cannot express how happy I am with the love and care that my family friend has received. He is so much happier living somewhere he feels safe, loved and cared for. We are always made to feel welcome when we arrive for our visits to the home and the room is always clean and pleasant smelling. We are able to visit anytime of the day which is helpful with work commitments and we have even been able to join our friend for lunch.

Very friendly atmosphere and the quality of care is excellent. The staff are very welcoming and attentive and the food and facilities are very good. I regularly return for respite and I am returning again in June 2016.

Activities are getting better, I like the hydrotherapy and being in the pool. I like that the activities lady does activities for the individuals as well as group activities. As indicated I would recommend any one with nursing care needs to come here.

Were made to feel very welcome on her first day to the home and the room was lovely and clean. We were able to visit anytime of the day and could stay as long as we liked.
Mother went out with friends and went to Bristol one afternoon.

How likely would you be to recommend Goatacre Manor Care Centre? Likely

All the staff at Goatacre Manor were extremely caring, patient as well as being professional in their jobs and taking care of each residents' needs. Family members were always greeted warmly by all staff.
Each room is differently styled and decorated making them individual.

The staff have really gone out of their way to make Mum at home and as comfortable as possible during the year and a half she has been at Goatacre, which she now calls "her little corner of Wiltshire"! I am so pleased to have her closer by.
The staff are always willing to let me know how she has been getting on since my previous visit and I am kept up to date with anything about her health as necessary.
Although Mum chooses not to partake in activities there is always plenty going on and I am always welcome to make Mum her customary cup of coffee, whatever time I'm there!

My son, who was 41, was there for end of life care. He asked to go somewhere quiet and lapped up all the attention he got from the friendly staff who went out of their way to make his last weeks as happy as possible. Nothing was too much trouble. As he slept a lot they brought him food whenever he wanted it and I was welcomed day and night.

My mum spent only a few months at the end of her precious life in safe loving and caring hands,they go beyond the normal and we as a family will never forget staff, carers who make Goatacre a very safe and caring place. It is hard looking for somewhere but walking into here you know the decision is the right one.

My father seems like a different man since becoming a resident at Goatacre Manor Care Centre. His quality of life has changed completely, he has the twinkle back in his eyes which I thought I would never see again! The care and support he has been given by the nursing and care staff is exceptional. The Care Centre has a lovely homely feeling about it, and is always immaculate. If you happen to turn up at meal times, the food looks and smells absolutely delicious. The exterior setting is of course totally tranquil, and the view from Dad's window is going to give him immense pleasure, especially as he watches the seasons come and go. Right from the moment you walk through the door, you realize this is definitely a Care Centre with a difference - this is a home. I think, without a doubt, the Management and Staff should be very proud of what they have achieved at Goatacre Manor Care Centre.

My father moved to Goatacre last year after living alone for many years. He had always had an aversion to Care Homes and furiously resisted until he was told it was either that or a live in carer. After an initial week's Respite care (trial period), he insisted that he wanted to stay and that I should sell his flat (the trial became permanent immediately). During every visit we always saw that the staff and management went out of their way to look after him and he was always treated with dignity and respect.

The home was always kept clean (and so was my father) and all of the staff worked as a team to look after him. As his Parkinson's became worse, they dreamt up a solution of crash mats and pressure pads linked to the alarm system, so when he refused to stay in bed, all of the staff were aware and someone was with him before he managed to crawl away.

We looked at many homes in the area before finding this one and if we had to chose again, we wouldn't look elsewhere.

My father came in to Goatacre to give himself a bit of a rest after he was taken Ill. It was just what he needed. He ate and drank well and was very impressed that he could have what ever he wanted to eat for breakfast every morning. He was given all the care and support he needed to assist him to be as independent as possible and enjoyed taking part in the activities. It was wonderful to see dad so happy. I was also very impressed with the management team. The Manager was always on hand to answer any questions that I had, and other members of his team are always floating around to offer any additional support.

My Wife's Grandfather came into the home for some respite care and absolutely loved it. He made some really lovely friends and is hoping to stay on a permanent basis. It was lovely to see him interacting and smiling again. All of the staff are lovely people and so caring. The home itself is clean and always smells pleasant. The grounds are beautiful, but most importantly, It made granddad happy again.

It is rare to find such a caring and hospital environment to place my trust in. Having spent what seemed an eternity trying to find a care centre, I was recommended to go along to Goatacre Manor and see for myself. I was met by a warm friendly receptionist who offered me a various choice of beverage. The Care Centre Manager promptly arrive and sat with us to discuss in depth our needs. This was followed by a tour of the Estate. I was impressed that throughout the tour, the Care Home Manager knew all his residents and really made the experience so homely. Although I found the entire experience quite emotional, it was reassuring leaving my Great Grandfather at Goatacre. Each time I come and go, I do so safe in the knowledge that he is in safe and capable hands.

My mother has been in care several times due to her frequent falls and failing health. She first went into Goatacre Manor Care Home in December 2014 for 6 weeks and against our wishes she was sent home during that time she deteriorated further and was then deemed not capable of looking after herself. Mum has now been at the home a year and we can't praise the management and wonderful staff enough for all the care and dedication they give not only to Mum but all the residents. We go in to visit every day and feel like one of the huge Goatacre family. We have also had a lot of support from Steve the manager and his whole team. The policy of the home is that you can visit anytime day or night and we are always made to feel welcome, nothing is too much bother for the wonderful staff who are employed there. More importantly my Mum is very happy and we would recommend Goatacre to anyone looking for a caring home from home for a precious family member.

I recently accompanied my mother who visited an old friend at Goatacre Care Home and I was very impressed with what I witnessed during our visit. Staff are friendly and attentive and everyone had a smile on their face. There was lots of interaction between members of staff and residents as well as activities going on. It felt like the people who live there are actually 'at home' rather than 'in a Home'.
Mum and I were made very welcome.

I visited an old friend recently and was delighted to see how happy and well cared for he is. I witnessed the nurses and care staff treat him with kindness and respect. I was very impressed with how well presented the nursing home was. Thank you.

My grandfather had such a wonderful stay at Goatacre that he has actually decided that he would like to become a permanent resident and I can see why! His room was tastefully decorated, the staff were all fantastic, friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Due to my Grandfathers condition he hadn't left the house in a while and had only really been speaking to immediate family. However whilst at Goatacre he formed friendships with a few of the other gentlemen and that friendship was actively encouraged and supported by staff and management. My grandfather was given back his independence and this meant the world to him. I would like to thank the manager and his team for making my grandfather smile again!

My father was a resident at Goatacre following a hospital admission after a road accident he had made his mind up that he did not want to eat or drink but the staff who could not have been more caring tried their very best to get him to have at least something. He was very reluctant to except any care but this did not stop the staff from looking after him in a kind and caring manner so that he was kept comfortable at all times his wishes were always respected as a family we were very grateful for all the effort the staff put in to try and help him regain his health but he had made his mind up that he did not want this. When he passed away he could not have received any better care he was treated with great respect and dignity and as a family this was a great comfort. The care does not stop once someone has died as we received a call from the funeral directors to say how well our father had been treated when they collected him this surely shows what caring is all about and Goatacre do this extremely well.

Submit a Review for Goatacre Manor Care Centre

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Goatacre Manor Care Centre

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Goatacre Manor Care Centre