Moorland House

Station Road, Hathersage, Hope Valley S32 1DD

Moorland House is a Hathersage care home that has been extensively refurbished to help carers achieve quality residential packages, all person-centred and regularly updated.

Residents enjoy en-suite rooms and pleasant views, being situated beside the Peak National Park, while also having their personal choice and independence respected as one of the core attributes of the Moorland House service.

Group: MHA (Methodist Homes)

Local Authority / Social Services: Derbyshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Moorland House: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for Moorland House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 20 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Moorland House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.5 for Moorland House is calculated as follows: ( (126 Excellents x 5) + (103 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 236 Ratings = 4.5

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Moorland House is based on 12 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 12 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target Reached = 1

9.5 Moorland House has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.500) from 20 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Moorland House?

Reviewer Connection to Moorland House

After 2 1/2 years of excellent care in the home when Auntie reached the end of her life, the care she received was what everyone would hope for - amazing love, such tenderness and compassion. We were so grateful to know that she was in such caring hands when we couldn't be with her.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 24 May 2018:

Thank you for your kind words. It was a privilege to have known your Auntie and a pleasure to have cared for her. She was well loved by all.

My elder daughter passed this home on the way to the opticians and called here to collect a brochure. So two of my sisters and both daughters read it through and we rung up and had an appointment for 3pm.
My daughters went to see the manager to arrange my finances. My two sisters and I were shown around by a very nice carer (male). We were all very impressed by the furnishings, they were in good condition, no tattiness! No smell of urine!! The lounge was very nice, plenty of easy chairs etc.
There were several men snoring but that was early December 2016. There was a large TV but as I've been in here 1 year and 4 months we've had people come, different singers and also a zoo! But now there is not the money to pay for this, only £1,000! Which means that people with Alzheimer's can't make much conversation and are just left sitting there. The food is good too, nicely presented.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 11 May 2018:

It is lovely to hear that our residents are happy in their home. We are a general residential home and residents have a lot of input to what they want and this is discussed in our resident meetings and forums. We value each and every comment and, as a team, we strive to deliver an excellent service to each person.

Accommodation and food satisfactory. Staff very efficient and polite.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to have positive feedback and this reassures us that the team are working well and ensuring the people in our service are cared for.

I have been a resident in Moorland House since I came here aged 90, I am now aged 100. I found it very strange at first but since I settled down I have been very happy here. The atmosphere is very good and the staff are a happy group and a great support.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind words. You always tell me how well you have been in the 10 years you have lived here. It is always a pleasure to have feedback so this can be passed onto the staff team.

I would say the greatest asset of Moorland House is the staff. They show warmth, care and kindness to the residents giving it a very homely feel. There is a positive and flexible attitude and the residents are always treated with the utmost respect. As a family member, I am made to feel very welcome in the home and the staff always spare time to answer any questions I may have.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 30 Apr 2018:

Thank you for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to care for the people who live in our service. My door is always open and good or bad comments are always welcome and as a team, we are always looking to improve the service.

Moorland House for Mum and I provided an ideal solution at a difficult time.
Overall the standard of care was excellent, I cannot praise them enough.
The support for Mum and I was amazing.
We were welcomed into the home and experienced a very calming, friendly, warm environment.
Nothing was too much trouble.
Mum's stay was unfortunately cut short as we were intending making respite permanent.
What a fabulous team.
Thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 13 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your review; this means so much to the staff and residents who work and live in the Home. As a team, we strive to ensure that everyone is made to feel welcome. It's always a pleasure to care for everyone who lives in the Home and to support their family.

I have been visiting this home for 12 years. My mother was a resident and now my mother in law is there and is very content. The staff are extremely helpful and cheerful - they know and care about all the residents.
The home is situated in a lovely Peak District village with numerous amenities and spectacular views. Meals are home cooked and well thought out.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 22 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to care for people who wish to live in our service.

My father died recently having spent his last five months at Moorland House.

My family are so grateful to the all the staff at Moorland House for looking after my dad and all of us so well. All the staff – care staff, kitchen, cleaning, laundry and maintenance, admin staff – are kind, welcoming and professional.

We all felt ‘at home’ coming to Moorland House. It is easy just to pop in at any time of day and share a meal, activity or simply spend quiet time together. The staff will always change their schedule to suit visitors and you always get offered a cup of tea or coffee.

During Dad’s last hours and following his death everyone has been so helpful and considerate – I still pop in to have a chat.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your kind words. It has been a pleasure to care for your dad. As a team, we aim to deliver a first class service and everyone is welcome at Moorland House. Your father was a true gentleman.

Recently a new management team took over and the process seems to have been handled well. The staff are very caring and seem to have the residents best interests at heart. The kitchen staff work hard to make mealtimes enjoyable and the residents are encouraged to eat together. The cleaning staff and laundry staff do an excellent job. There is a good programme of planned activities and the residents religious and spiritual needs are also considered important. The local medical centre provides excellent medical support.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Thank you for the lovely review. As a team we strive to deliver an excellent service with the best interest of the people we have the privilege to support. This is their home and we like to believe this is an extended family.

In our experience, Moorland House provides a warm, comfortable and truly caring and loving environment where each resident is treated as an individual with respect and dignity. The atmosphere is one of happiness and security provided by wonderful staff who are always prepared to go the extra mile in caring for the residents. This also includes the catering and maintenance staff who are equally dedicated. I cannot recommend Moorland House highly enough. My mother has been a resident for 11 years.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Dawn Newman, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 05 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your kind words. It is a privilege to care for our wonderful people who live in the home, and we take pride in ourselves on delivering a first class service at Moorland House. All the staff work hard in every department to create a homely environment take great pride in the homes welcoming atmosphere. I will be very proud to pass on your comments to the team.

When I visited Moorlands initially I was impressed with the warmth of the staff. Since my mother has stayed at Moorlands I have been even more impressed. I do not know who is responsible for recruitment but they are clearly doing a great job. It is the attitude of the staff that is key in such a home and in this Moorlands scores top marks.

There are many staff at Moorlands fulfilling a wide variety of roles, helping residents, wheeling them to meals, delivering meals to rooms, caring for every need, sorting out prescriptions, helping liaise with the NHS for hospital visits etc etc. I have found the Moorland staff to be both highly competent and very helpful.

The other thing I like about Moorlands is the relaxed atmosphere. Relatives are welcomed and everything is made easy. But I repeat, for me, the key to such a care home is the warmth of the staff and they get 10 out of 10 from me.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Michelle Chadwick, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 25 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your comments. We pride ourselves on the warm and relaxed atmosphere at Moorland House. Staff work hard to create a 'Home from Home' environment and take great pride in doing so every day. I will be very proud to pass on your comments to the team.

I live 110 miles away, I visited my friend over 2 days after she had been in the home for 6weeks. In the circumstances, I cannot rate all areas.
My friend seemed to have settled in nicely and seemed happy, her room was homely, with personal furniture and pictures etc...
Everywhere I saw was clean and all the staff I had contact with were friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

My mother went into Moorland House in October 2008 aged 89. In choosing a care home for my mother I had previous experience of my Father-in-law needing respite care over many years and had visited him in a number of homes they varied a lot.
I was shown round with no previous appointment and was impressed with the cleanliness and friendly attitude of the staff there. It didn't feel like an institution but more like a home.
Initially, my mother didn't need nursing care just company and good food. Over the next 8 years as she aged, she gradually deteriorated choosing to spend more time in her room. The local GP and the staff didn't give up on her always trying to find ways to improve her quality of life.
She passed away on Christmas Eve 2016. Aged 97.
I can't speak highly enough of all the staff always kind, professional and cheerful. Moorland House is a lovely place. If I ever need a care home, I'd be happy to go into Moorland House. You can't get a better recommendation than that!

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Michelle Chadwick, Home Manager at Moorland House responded to this review on 25 Jan 2017:

Thank you James for your lovely comments. We will all miss your Mum (especially her singing!). I will ensure that the review is displayed for all staff to see. Again thank you and take care. Michelle

My father went into Moorland House for the last five weeks of his life aged 100.
He received excellent care, everyone was very kind and caring, they treated him with dignity. We found it very a homely place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Although my Mum was only at Moorland House for one week's respite care, I found it to be clean, friendly and very helpful with all aspects of her care. She enjoyed being able to have a bath again and loved the friendliness and humour of the care staff. The home is spacious, light and beautifully decorated and overall has a homely friendly feel to it. The gardens are well maintained with plenty of seating areas and places to sit in privacy. On the strength of a one week only respite stay, I would highly recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Mum has been at Moorlands for a few year now and she has had nothing but the best of care from all the staff from Care Home Manager to carers, nurses, and kitchen staff. It is a very friendly, caring, homely and well-run home. Sadly we have to move mum as her needs cannot be met any longer at Moorlands. Thanks you to all the staff.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

My mother, aged 94, moved into Moorland House for weeks ago. We cannot commend all the staff highly enough for their incredible patience, kindness, understanding and humour. As a whole family we have felt utterly supported and care for. We have never been afraid to ask for things and they have always been so willing to provide. We must say a special tribute to the home manager who always seems to be calm, patient and organised. We cannot praise them enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

A Christian caring community where each resident is encouraged and supported to be as independent as they wish or are able. Informal atmosphere and lovely grounds. Management always has time to discuss any concerns or issues.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

My mother, who was blind, immobile and recently widowed, was in Moorland House for 9 months before she died. Throughout this time she was treated with dignity, sensitivity and genuine compassion. End of life care was exemplary: her wishes not to go into hospital respected, the nursing excellent, the caring thoughtful and tender. The family were always made welcome, their wishes consulted, their needs considered. There was a sense that all staff were valued and played their part in creating the home's excellent atmosphere, from the manager to the handyman and cleaners, administrator, nurses, carers and chaplain: a tribute to the quality of the management. Beautiful setting and attractive, comfortable rooms, with a variety of activities provided and appetising meals.

How likely would you be to recommend Moorland House? Extremely Likely

Would recommend Moorland House. It has - Positive atmosphere; is Always clean, there is a High standard of care offered. All staff are Pleasant - being the nurses, care staff, and all administration. Good mix of activities and care given. There is an open door policy which means a drop in visit can be conducted at any time at all, which is a positive sign that care is consistent.

Submit a Review for Moorland House

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Moorland House