County Homes Care Home

40 New Hey Road, Woodchurch, Birkenhead, Wirral CH49 5LE

Located in Woodchurch, Birkenhead, County Homes Care Home is a care home offering dementia nursing care.

County Homes offers residents a choice of places to relax, dine and enjoy themselves. The home has a tea-room and a bar as well as a café area. There is space to pursue interests and hobbies, a hairdressing salon and memory room. The landscaped garden, which is looked after by some of the residents, has a sensory area and provides an excellent setting for spending time in the company of friends and family.

The home has a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; 14 of which are male only and 27 are female-only bedrooms.

County Homes chefs know the tastes of residents and preparing a choice of fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs.

Person in charge: Debby Jamieson (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 90 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Parkinson's Disease • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Admission Information: Must have diagnosis of Dementia. Ages 65+.

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): German, Polish, Tagalog

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on County Homes Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.5 (maximum of 10) for County Homes Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.5 out of 5 from 34 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for County Homes Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 19 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.461 for County Homes Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (223 Excellents x 5) + (140 Goods x 4) + (33 Satisfactorys x 3) + (3 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 399 Ratings = 4.461

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for County Homes Care Home is based on 19 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 18 positive Reviews (90 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 19 Reviews ÷ 18 Target Reached = 1

9.5 County Homes Care Home has a Review Score of 9.5 (9.461) from 34 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend County Homes Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to County Homes Care Home

My mother was really well cared for by a great team who were always good to deal with. The atmosphere was friendly, with residents and guests being treated with respect at all times.

The building and facilities may have been a little 'tired', but this was more than compensated for by the team of carers who often went above and beyond expectations - they were outstanding.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father has been in this home since early September 2017 and from the start, the staff have been brilliant. They cannot do enough for dad and are excellent in knowing how to distract and manage when he gets agitated or distract him when we are leaving after a visit. The place is always clean.
The staff are also very helpful and friendly to the family and friends visiting dad.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I would like to thank all the staff at County Homes for the kindness they showed to our Mum and our family. Most people who read reviews do so to see the type of home they will be placing their loved one; this is no easy task and one that is not taken lightly. By the time our family had started to look for respite care we were at breaking point and someone recommend County Homes. From the time Mum went in, the staff reassured us that we had made the right decision and having witnessed so many acts of kindness to the residents, this made us feel happy leaving her in their care. The staff are so professional but this is tempered by them being able to give a hug and reassurance to the resident then sit and comfort them till they felt better, these acts of kindness made myself and my family feel reassured that they were the right people to look after our treasured mum. Their philosophy is justified and proven on a daily basis, they are a caring company.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

The home my dad is in I can't thank them enough as they are really caring towards the residents. They have good food and lots of treats throughout the day. The whole staff from cleaners to head carers are so helpful and welcoming towards the families. The entertainment staff are great and they have something on most days. Overall I am really pleased with the care my dad is receiving.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Having been forced to remove our mother from her previous care home due to its patent unsuitability, our next choice for her was always going to be some cause for concern.
However, from our initial contact with the home manager, we knew we were making the right decision.
I have nothing but the utmost praise for the home itself - its facilities; its cleanliness; its professionalism.
The staff are wonderful - always patient, always caring - even under difficult circumstances.
Sadly our mother passed away on 5th November, but we will be forever grateful to everyone at County Home for making her last painful months all the more bearable.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother appears to be very happy and contented which gives me peace of mind. The staff are friendly and caring. I like the small wards so that my mum doesn't get lost in the crowds. She is well looked after as she is clean and well dressed at all times. It is a good feeling that I see the same staff, as well as this, means they know my mum's needs and she isn't just another patient or resident.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I have no objection about anything in this care home. The accent is on care and help to residents and I feel one of the family. The staff are really great people and have become good friends. The premises are very well kept and presented.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum's dementia makes her quite difficult to deal with often. She is treated with care and understanding and sometimes with humour. Physically she has improved (mobility).

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Myself and the rest of my family think this nursing home is great for my dad's needs, he has Alzheimer's and Dementia.
The staff there are so caring and really professional, they treat all their clients with dignity and respect.
I would highly recommend this home, they are lovely from the manager to the laundry workers and are all very friendly to us as we visit every day.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My son entered your home in June 2017 and was quite weak and had a loss of 3 stone in the three months. I was so worried about him I felt he was dying in front of me. Moved him to your home and 3 and a half weeks later he was communicating with me and looked well. He had put 1 and a half stone back on with the excellent care and wonderful meals. I could not believe the change in him. He was so weak, he could not stand or walk without assistance. I said it was like a miracle had taken place.
I sleep at night knowing he is being cared for with utmost dignity. Thank you all for giving me peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Caring staff who interact well with residents who have numerous problems. Plenty of activities including trips out. Staff also interact well with visitors.
They ensure residents are eating and drinking properly which is difficult in an environment where everybody has some form of dementia.
Visiting hours are good.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I'm happy my husband is in County Homes Care. He is well looked after by staff who treat him with kindness and dignity. He is happy there and I know he is well looked after by caring staff, which gives me peace of mind.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Likely

Can not thank the staff enough for their care of our dad. All staff are welcoming and friendly and we are always made to feel welcome. We are always offered a drink when we come in. Dad is always well groomed and dressed nicely. This is our first experience of a care home and we have been really impressed with the care given. All staff genuinely seem to care for the residents in their charge.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I and my daughters and grandson are always treated well and feel welcomed. The resident is treated very well which is comforting. The home is a lovely building with a lovely decor.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

In the two and a half years my husband has been a resident at County, I cannot ask more of the staff and carers. They treat everyone with kindness and patience and dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My dad has been here 3 years plus. Staff are excellent. Food is good, brilliant management, good standard of care. My dad is very settled and happy. I can and have recommended this home to other people.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Having reached the decision that I could no longer care for my husband at home, I began the process of looking for a care home that was in the parameters of my very high standards. I visited many homes, realising that I would have to compromise in some areas. I spent time at County Homes and made the decision to ask for a place for my husband. Over the year that he has been in his new home, I have been present about 8 hours every day. I have observed not only the care my husband receives but the care that is given to all the residents on his unit. You can see the reaction from the residents when they see a staff member they are fond of - you can't put a price on the care and love that is shown every day. The manager's door is always open if any relative has any concerns they will be listened to and their concerns looked into.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I find the staff very pleasant - there is a nice friendly atmosphere. My husband's bed is changed regularly, the room frequently cleaned and his personal needs are adequately met - hair cut regularly and he is very settled there now. I am always greeted in a friendly manner and made welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Likely

All the staff took care and looked after my dad.
They had time for him, he was suffering from dementia. He died there age 98 years old. We knew he was in safe hands with the staff in County Homes.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

It was Ok, they did not entertain them too much. I had to get a DVD player put up. They had taken the shelf down so I had to get it put back and bought musicals because nobody seemed to care what they were watching.
The person who took them out was marvellous.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at County Homes Care Home responded to this review on 20 Jun 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.
I am very sorry that the activities had not been to a high standard on this day. I have investigated your concerns with the team at County Homes. It was confirmed that during a previous refurb the shelving was taken down and then it was not fixed back up again. The nurse confirms that when you spoke to her that day, she went and purchased a shelf herself, which was put up by our Maintenance man on that same day. Thank you for purchasing the musical films. Our Home Manager would like very much to refund your expense.
Thank you for your compliment regarding our Activity Co-ordinators, I will be sure to pass on this compliment.
If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me, Andrea Nicholson Area Director

The home is very comfortable and visiting is so easy and pleasant.
All the residents are so well looked after, the décor and furniture are excellent, as are the staff. They are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble.
Everything is 5 star and I cannot praise the home and staff enough.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father sadly passed away, but for the 3 and a half years he was a resident, he was treated as a human being. With care and compassion and a genuine regard for his happiness and well-being.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

The last 8 months of my father's life was made much more pleasant than they would otherwise have been, by the friendly care and attention he received from the staff at County Homes. He was consistently treated with kindness and dignity. I especially noticed how well nurses and care workers functioned together as a team. They became almost like a second family to him and to us, his relatives. My father responded well and became noticeably more relaxed and seemed to feel much more secure than he had previously. His final few days were spent in the care home, surrounded by nurses and carers he had grown to know and become fond of. His passing was made as comfortable as we or he could have wished.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I had made a promise never to put mum in a care home, unfortunately, she fell breaking her hip and this changed the level of care she needed.
I visited 30 care homes before choosing County Homes.
When mum suddenly got ill we were able to sleep there for 4 days before she died. All the staff demonstrated empathy, provided shoulders to cry on, food, but mums care and pain relief was the priority.
One of the nurses treated mum like she was her mum, I will never forget the warmth she demonstrated.
Some of the staff deserve medals.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Dad was in County Homes for 14 months. He had dementia. During the time he spent in County Homes (Lancaster building), there was only one incident where we had to speak to management about a member of staff's conduct. This was dealt with promptly and in a positive, professional way. Apart from this, my Dad received Excellent care, was treated with dignity and respect at all times. As a family, we were treated with care and compassion and made to feel welcome in the home at all times. Staff went above and beyond whilst caring for my dad.
We did not want Dad to spend his last days in a hospital environment. staff at County Homes respected our wishes and supported my Dad to be cared for in a homely, familiar environment where he was happy and where he was with people who knew him and loved him.
My Dad has recently passed away. Staff provided him with 'outstanding care, during his last days and welcomed us into the home to be with Dad, showing us the utmost respect.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Our dad passed away in County Homes Care Home in October. His care had been excellent, the staff could not have done more to make his last days comfortable and he was always treated with dignity by the staff, which was lovely to see and made his family feel less upset at leaving him. Even when he was having a bad day they knew how to calm him down and would distract him and sit and talk to him. Cannot praise the staff enough for all their care and consideration to our dad and his family.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Staff who dealt with mum's transfer were very efficient. When a room became free, even used their own minibus to transport her to home. They addressed her needs quickly and have continued to do this over the last months. They care for mum with patience and kindness. We are kept up to date with any changes and staff are always happy to discuss any issues. They have addressed problems to ensure mum's changing needs are met. It is a good, well run home.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

I think County Homes do provide a good care system doing a very difficult job. My wife seems to be well cared for, I go into the home two to three times a week on different days and things seem ok. If need be the nurses are there to ask questions if needed.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Likely

The care and attention shown to my Husband at County Homes has been exceptional.
He is very will looked after by staff.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

We are delighted with the care and support that my Mum receives. The staff are very professional and caring. They always keep us informed of initiatives in the care home.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

This is the best home my husband has been in, he had to go into a home in May 2014. In the other two homes, he was neglected and safeguards were put in place once by me and once by the hospital. When he went to County Homes, the hospital had only given him 2 to 3 days to live. He has come on leaps and bounds since he has been there and I'm so grateful. The staff are wonderful.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

Such a lovely home and very caring, the staff are very very efficient.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My father suffers from dementia. The standard of care is excellent. The staff all do a first class job and provide a wonderful service in difficult times for our family. The home is very clean and the food is good. I would not hesitate to recommend this care home for anybody who are enduring difficult times like ourselves to look after their loved ones.

How likely would you be to recommend County Homes Care Home? Extremely Likely

My grandfather spent nine months at County Homes and I have to say in all his time there I could not fault them. Their care and dedication was exceptional and they treated him with the most compassion you could hope for. A member of staff came to his funeral and a comment he made summed up everything.''They are like our grandparents and we treat them like we would our own''. I would recommend this home to everyone!!

Submit a Review for County Homes Care Home

posted 08 May 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availabilityGeneral

Debby Jamieson

Joined: 2005

“Kindness costs nothing and is the greatest gift you can give someone.”

As a Registered Nurse, Debby has gained many years’ experience in providing care and support to elderly people, to enrich their lives. She is a dedicated and knowledgeable leader who is passionate about delivering the highest standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Having worked at County Homes for several years, Debby shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and clubs and is always keen to include the local community in life at County Homes.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Debby remarked: “I love to see my Residents smiling and happy. Knowing that both myself and my staff are in some part responsible is very rewarding.”

Away from work, Debby enjoys exploring new cultures through her love of travel along with spending time with her children and grand-children.

If you would like to find out more information about County Homes, Debby has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

You can contact Debby on 0151 604 0022 or via email on countyhomes.manager@hc-one.co.uk

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at County Homes Care Home