Southfield Court Care Home

off Southfield Road, Almondbury, Huddersfield HD5 8RZ

Southfield Court Care Home is located on the outskirts of Huddersfield in the village of Almondbury and is convenient for shops, amenities, public transport and the M62 motorway link. Huddersfield Town Centre is just 2 miles away.

The home provides general nursing care for people with complex medical conditions and specialist nursing support for those living with dementia.

Respite care is also available to give family or friends a well-earned break.

Traditional home cooking using fresh produce is offered with choices being available. Special diets can be catered for.

The home has its own cinema room for all residents to enjoy.

A varied activities programme is provided to all residents and can include pet therapy, performances by local entertainers and themed party events to name a few.

Group: Four Seasons Health Care

Person in charge: Clare McCourt (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Kirklees Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 50 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Southfield Court Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 7.6 (maximum of 10) for Southfield Court Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.1 out of 5 from 14 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Southfield Court Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 3.5 out of 5 from 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.139 for Southfield Court Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (53 Excellents x 5) + (84 Goods x 4) + (28 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 166 Ratings = 4.139

The 3.45 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Southfield Court Care Home is based on 2 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

1. 3 + 0.25 = 3.25

2. Target of 10 positive Reviews (50 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 2 Reviews ÷ 10 Target = 0.200

7.6 Southfield Court Care Home has a Review Score of 7.6 (7.589) from 14 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Southfield Court Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Southfield Court Care Home

• Relative of Resident/Service User

Southfield Court is now a nice well-presented home, staff are kind and friendly and work hard. The new management team are friendly and approachable and have made huge improvements since starting in 2016.
The home has been nicely decorated and new furniture added, the garden is being done for summer and activities planned for residents and relatives.

How likely would you be to recommend Southfield Court Care Home? Extremely Likely

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Southfield Court Care Home responded to this review on 11 Apr 2018:

Thank you, Carol, for your wonderful feedback about Southfield Court Care Home. We are pleased to hear it has been so positive. We hope to see you again soon. Have a great day.

I have seen a great improvement at the care home over the time I have been visiting. I must congratulate the management in their time and effort to make a better more efficient and happier place for the residents.

The carers have a difficult task at times in their working day and I find that the majority of them are worth their weight in gold. There is an activity team who work well with the residents, the medical team are always available to talk to about your worries. The only negative I have is the food. It could do with improvement. Other than that Southfield Court is a wonderful dementia care home.

Ronnie Cavanagh, Digital Marketing Executive at Southfield Court Care Home responded to this review on 01 Dec 2017:

Thank you, Maureen, for your comments about your recent experience at Southfield Court Care Home. Our residents’ wellbeing is our main priority and it is great to hear that you were so pleased with the quality of our care. All of our staff are committed to providing the best possible care experience for all of our residents and it is very rewarding to have their efforts recognised. We appreciate all your comments and always see feedback as an opportunity to improve the services we provide. Thank you once again. Take care!

My husband was here for 2 1/2 weeks. The care he received was 5*, the carers are all lovely and do care for the residents wonderfully. There is always some interaction going on it may be one to one or in a group. The residents are offered drinks hourly and something to eat like a piece of cake or biscuit. The motto of the home is they do not live in our workplace we work in their home, and you see this every day. My husband's room was big spacious and light with a view over the front of the home. My husband passed away here, but the care he had I could not have asked for any better. Everyone from the cook to the home manager could not have done any more for him.They ensured he was pain free and he died with dignity. I stayed with him day and night for the final 3 days, ithe staff couldn't do enough for me. Would I recommend this care home YES I would 100%. It is everything I was looking for. The home is clean spacious, calming and no smell. All the staff are lovely they all care.

The staff have a very good understanding of dad's complex, unpredictable behaviour. He has settled well in this environment and I do think this has a lot to do with how the staff handle him.

The staff are extremely caring. The nurse is always on hand to provide any information I require regarding my husband. Nothing is too much trouble and the management are extremely keen to ensure that continuous good care is provided.

Placing your loved one in a care home is a truly horrendous experience. Over the last 10 months, I have seen a marked improvement in the home. There is still lots to do i.e Outside grounds, outside recreational area. I hope that these are on the agenda so that residents can spend time outside and remain safe? The staff try their best in very challenging situations. Their training has resulted in better understanding of dementia - may that continue, knowledge of the disease is paramount in their care.

How likely would you be to recommend Southfield Court Care Home? Likely

My mother has been a resident in Southfield Court for over two years. During this period the home has experienced several changes of management. However, over the last 6 months, there has been a real improvement. My mother is content and well cared for by a dedicated and caring team. Recent whole staff training has impacted well on the experience. Any issues that we have had have been addressed quickly and effectively. I trust the home to care for my mother, I feel well supported by the Southfield Court.

How likely would you be to recommend Southfield Court Care Home? Likely

In the last 3 months, I have noticed an improvement in the teamwork of the staff, more effective, well informed, friendly, helpful and adding to my mother's contentment.
There seems to be less use of contract nurses and carers, which is an improvement.
I heard that the staff attend training courses, which is noticeable in their professional approach.
Any concerns I've had have been dealt with quickly and modified.

How likely would you be to recommend Southfield Court Care Home? Likely

Staff always there to help, treated my mum with care and compassion. Did everything they could to make her comfortable. Explained mum's treatment she was receiving for medical conditions, if they had any concerns they would ring me and let me know. Showed respect when mum passed and let us spend as much time as we wanted to before making arrangements to have her moved to the funeral home.

All the staff at Southfield Court are friendly and helpful. My father came to Southfield just after the new manager. She and her deputy are both trying to improve the decoration and facilities in the home as well as the day to day running, they are also replacing equipment, furniture etc needed. All the nurses and carers are very caring and supportive to my father and our family. They care very much about my father's health and well-being, involving us in the planning of his care, helping him settle, making him feel at home. When they feel it necessary they involve specialist nurses, dieticians etc to help with his care. They never make you feel your concern is not relevant or important to them. The housekeeper and her team all do their best to keep the home clean and the resident's clothes washed. (Jumpers can be a problem as in all care homes). The cooks and their assistants provide a varied menu which they are happy to adjust when needed, my father sometimes needs a soft puree. The activities staff are trying very hard to involve families and provide suitable activities for the residents variable abilities. The home have a meeting each month for relatives to support each other and to update them with news about the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Southfield Court Care Home? Likely

My friend has been at the home for a few years now. I visit often. Whenever I visit all the staff are caring and compassionate. I feel the latest poor CQC report was not a true reflection of the home. Since new management have been in we have seen a positive turnaround in the decor of the home and in staffing numbers and staff morale. I have also noticed the grounds are looking so much better. Overall I think this is a nice home where people living here are treated with respect and it feels like a home from home.

My husband has been in Southfield Court since Sept 2015. He has Parkinson's and Dementia. Whilst we had some initial problems, mainly caused by the external agencies dealing with my husband, they were addressed and sorted. Southfield Court, having an unfavourable CQC report, in my view, boils down to a weak manager who was in charge when my husband was admitted and mainly superfluous problems that existed with the decoration. Many of the problems have already been sorted, both with levels of staff and decoration.
The staff are always kind and very caring to my husband. I tend to visit every day, late in the evening when there aren't other visitors there. I have never seen or heard anything that should concern me. All residents are given the greatest respect and most of all dignity. The staff work extremely hard in a thankless job. The general feeling of the home is relaxed, happy and the residents are pretty much allowed to do as they like, just as if they were at home.

Southfield Court has very friendly staff along with current new management who seem very enthusiastic. Working together they seem very intent on moving the home forward and giving the residents the very best care that they can. The residents appear very happy and well cared for even with challenging behaviour sometimes posing a problem.
The home is currently being re decorated and staff are under going a lot of training. I have high hopes that the home will be improved hugely and it is very nice to see.

I am writing with reference to the home my dad has been in since Oct 2015 and was also in earlier in 2015, I feel that the standard of care does need improving. There does not seem to be the right amount of staff to deal with the amount of patients, some dealing with severe illness. I have never seen the new manager at any time I have visited my father. Sometimes he is sat in dirty clothes which is not good for the persons dignity. Some staff are caring but a lot are not and doesn't seem right for the job. I would like to point out that one nurse on the top floor always exceeds to help and is a credit to the home and needs full recognition for all her time working long hours.

How likely would you be to recommend Southfield Court Care Home? Likely

Clare McCourt, Home Manager at Southfield Court Care Home responded to this review on 19 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to review Southfield Court Care Home - we appreciate all comments and feedback on the service we provide. It concerns me to read that you have a couple of issues regarding the care of your relative - I will investigate your comments and be in touch to discuss everything with you further. I do hold regular relatives meetings so it would be lovely if you could come along and join us so we can talk more. I will be in touch. Best wishes, Clare.

Submit a Review for Southfield Court Care Home

There are currently no awards/recognitions posted yet for Southfield Court Care Home

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Southfield Court Care Home