Northview Lodge, Sunderland, Tyne & Wear

Northview Lodge offers specialist care for certain conditions including enduring mental health and acquired brain injuries alongside care for young people with disabilities. Residents have a choice of lounge areas which feature comfortable and specially designed furnishings. There are a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms.

Chefs at Northview Lodge pride themselves on knowing the tastes of residents and preparing a choice of home cooked, fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced home managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Lisa Morehead (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Sunderland City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 45 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Mental Health Condition • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Challenging Behaviour • Head/Brain Injury • Schizophrenia • Stroke

Admission Information: Ages from 18 to 65.

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Independent Living Training • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Northview Lodge: click here

posted 17 Oct 2017

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.4 Northview Lodge has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.350)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Northview Lodge is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.3 out of 5 from 30 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Northview Lodge in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.35 for Northview Lodge is calculated as follows: ( (167 Excellents x 5) + (151 Goods x 4) + (29 Satisfactorys x 3) + (7 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 354 Ratings = 4.35

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Northview Lodge is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9 positive Reviews (45 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 9 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Northview Lodge?

Reviewer Connection to Northview Lodge

• Father of Resident/Service User
  • Mother of Resident/Service User

I commenced residing approximately 3 months prior to this report. I was reluctant to engage with staff as I did not anticipate such a lengthy residing, therefore this report must be read within the context of my overriding depression. I have no experience of any other residential care home.
I believe that I have been treated with dignity and have received the requisite level of care. However, my needs are constantly changing and I am not sure staff are keeping up with my changing needs. Staff are generally polite although sometimes feels as if the attention I get is through gritted teeth. The staff that I have had the most interaction with have been particularly supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Facilities: Poor

Cleanliness: Poor

Katie Price, Careline Advisor at Northview Lodge responded to this review on 03 Oct 2017:

At Northview Lodge, we encourage people to express their thoughts, feelings and perceptions, positive or negative, as we consider doing so to be an integral part of their care and recovery plan. This is particularly important for people who find themselves living with us when they would choose to reside elsewhere if they could. We acknowledge people’s feelings on a day to day basis and work with them to build on their positivity and to work together to address any negativity that they may be experiencing at that time. At Northview Lodge providing kindness in care and delivering the best care experience for people is at the heart of everything we do.

Enjoy living at Northview Lodge. Really enjoying going on holiday with other residents and would recommend Northview Lodge to anyone interested. Love to go to cookery and enjoy bowling and days out with staff and residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

Satisfied with all levels of care my son has received so far. Management and carers show lots of care and compassion for all the residents and go out of their way to keep them entertained.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

In my time I've had good times and bad times at Northview Lodge. When I am poorly I have a care plan with what to do to help me which is normally support from the staff which is 1-1 observations. I get a chance to go shopping by myself. The staff here are brilliant, this home is the best home I've ever been in they are special to me and I love every one of them.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

We went to the horse racing and we all had a wonderful day! No arguments, no foul language, just pleasantries. Splendid.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

Everyone does enough for me and has done their best since I came here.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

I like getting visitors and activities out to Blackpool. I like being able to spend time in my room. I like going out for meals. I like it when there are singers and entertainers in the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

I really like it here. I like all the activities and the trips. I've had lots of opportunities to make things which I really like. The staff are great and I feel well looked after. I like playing bowls.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

I like going out with the staff for day trips out. I love my TV - it's my own and I like it.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

Lots of independence. Can do what I want, when I want. It's like a home from home.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

I am happy with the activities, meals and I love going shopping.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

I like the activities and exercises. I love bowling. When we go out and do all the exercises and play skittles.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

I came here from Southampton, not knowing anybody here and made quite a few friends.
Staff have always been excellent with me but some find my accent difficult to understand.
I'm a happy go lucky lass.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Don't know

Staff are very caring and professional. From day one, they have made my husband and our family feel at ease and I know I can come home knowing he is safe and well looked after. He has improved immensely since coming to Northview Lodge Nursing Home.

I love it here.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

Food is excellent and care is all good. I like living here as it feels like home. Family can visit and staff make them welcome.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

Find home to be clean and staff are really good, always treated with respect. Find my mother-in-law is always happy, contented when I visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

Quiet place with staff, very good when speaking to staff, very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

The place is lovely. Enjoy living here.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

It's alright. I like the staff.

Food & Drink: Poor

Safety / Security: Poor

I visit my uncle 3 times a week and he is always well dressed for when I come, I find the staff excellent and can always talk to them if there is a problem. My uncle is always happy so they must be doing things right, his room is always clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

We are pleased with the standards of staff, facilities etc. and endorse, as we have said before that our son gets first class treatment and attention for all his needs. The refurbishment of all areas is first class. The décor is excellent. Well done.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

I have been in Northview Lodge care home for 10 years now it's a lovely place to live in, they do anything to meet your needs. My named nurse and my care key worker take and sort things out for me to go to watch my football team Sunderland play and love it very much and if I want to go shopping with my care worker any time for company they arrange a day. All the staff here are brilliant I even class them as my family as they are all fantastic. Love them all.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay within the establishment and hope to remain here as long as necessary. The food is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Unlikely

Visited this care home recently I found the staff all very friendly and polite. Home was clean and residents seemed more than happy. Lunch looked appetizing. Plenty of free drinks of tea and coffee supplied.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

Generally the care received is good and I really like the fact that there are male carers as well as female.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Likely

My brother has lived in Northview Lodge since 2002, and I can honestly say, if all care homes were like this one, relatives can feel easy in their minds, their family are being well cared for. The staff are brilliant, and go the extra mile to provide entertainments, trips away, and day trips. They give all the residents the dignity and respect they deserve. Last week they organised a 'Mad Hatters' tea party it was a huge success, the costumes and food were fantastic. My brother loves his food here. Well done Northview Lodge and thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

Staff treat me well and support me in every way. Staff always willing to help me.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Extremely Likely

Everyone is supportive and very nice. All the staff are very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Northview Lodge? Don't know

Northview Lodge has been my home for 10 years now and I feel happier here than any other home I have been in. Staff here at Northview Lodge have been very supportive to me when I am not well. One to one care is put in place where they watch me all the time as I am a suicide risk, and they do anything they can.
I've never regretted living here, I call the staff my family and the residents too. This home is classed as home, love every one of the staff, they are brilliant. Love it.

Submit a Review for Northview Lodge

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

Lisa

Lisa Morehead

Joined: 2015

What does ‘kindness’ mean to you?

“For me, kind care means treating people as individuals and having a genuine desire to help someone to achieve something.”

As a Registered Nurse, Lisa has gained over twenty years’ experience in providing care and support to people, to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest standards of care and quality of life for Residents.

Lisa joined Northview Lodge as Home Manager as she closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She extends this caring approach to her colleagues and works closely with them to deliver care and support to Residents in a way that they gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby schools and clubs and is always keen to include the local community in life at Northview Lodge.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Lisa remarked: “I look forward to coming to work each day as there's a real family atmosphere here and everyone tries to do their best.”

Away from work, Lisa enjoys reading and listening to pop music (particularly some Abba whenever possible!)

If you would like to find out more information about Northview Lodge, Lisa has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Northview Lodge