Forthbank Care Home, Stirling, Stirling

Forthbank Care Home is located in Kildean, Stirling and provides dementia and nursing care for up to 68 people in a purpose-built setting.

The home features a range of communal areas and lounges with comfortable and specially-designed furnishings. Bedrooms are homely and well-equipped and some have views of the home’s garden.

Residents can eat home-cooked, nutritious meals which are freshly prepared by the home’s chefs and can be adapted to cater for dietary and cultural requirements.

Staff are dedicated to providing a quality service and ensuring that kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Yvonne Graham (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Stirling Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 68 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Down Syndrome • Epilepsy • Head/Brain Injury • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Prader-Willi Syndrome • Profound & Multiple Learning Disabilties • Schizophrenia • Speech Impairment • Spina Bifida & Hydrocephalus • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Forthbank Care Home: click here

posted 17 Oct 2017

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.4 Forthbank Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.354)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Forthbank Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 18 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Forthbank Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.692 for Forthbank Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (156 Excellents x 5) + (45 Goods x 4) + (10 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 211 Ratings = 4.692

The 4.662 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Forthbank Care Home is based on 9 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.6 positive Reviews (68 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 9 Reviews ÷ 13.6 Target = 0.662

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Forthbank Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Forthbank Care Home

The care home was excellent. The staff were amazing and very helpful. The food was great and I very much enjoyed my stay. Certain staff members went that extra mile not just for me but for all residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mum has been in Forthbank for the last 2 weeks and she has settled in beautifully. The staff and management are extremely friendly and always on hand to lend a reassuring ear. Would highly recommend.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Have always found the staff to be caring and attentive towards my wife.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

My uncle who had Dementia was very well cared for and loved it at Forthbank.
No complaints and all the staff were very approachable and kind.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

This was my first visit to the home and was pleasantly surprised at the welcoming I had.
Staff were friendly and very helpful. What struck me was how clean and fresh the whole building was/is. My friend's room was light and airy with a good view out of the window. A delight to see how well she was being looked after.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Likely

I find my brother is being cared for very well. The staff always have him clean and tidy and they look after him very well.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Mum went into the care home in June for respite but alas fell and broke her hip and that along with swelling in her legs meant she was there until she died at the end of October. She always said the carers were so good to her so sensitive. The atmosphere always seemed calm and relaxing. Not sure she realised she was in a care home. She had always said she didn't want to go into a care home she asked me what is this place I am in, I told her it was a lovely rest home and she seemed happy with that idea.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Likely

Given that my father died on 15/12/16 at this home and your letter arrived on the day he was cremated I think that your interdepartmental communication could be improved to avoid such overlaps in future.

His care and the staff were excellent. Where I feel there is room for improvement is at the initial reception when the primary responsibility for his care was passed over to you from me. I wish I had been better informed about this process. What I'm talking about is things like registering with a GP, arranging chiropody, transfer of medication and other simple straightforward day to day things that were done but without me knowing about it.
I was left to assume things had happened and felt reluctant to contact busy nursing staff about non-nursing matters, over which they do not necessarily have an overview.

When my father had his 6-week review I heard all sorts of things I had no idea about, things, that a 5-minute phone call would have cleared up. I only found out he had had a chiropodist appointment because I happened to meet the chiropodist whilst visiting Forthbank. I asked if she had seen him and then asked about the toe separator he used, but she hadn't seen it because it wasn't being used and it seemed I was the only person who knew of its existence. Not a major issue, but excellence in care is not achieved by forgetting the small things.

Before my father moved in I made the point to the house manager that in order for me to feel I was discharging my duty of care towards my father, I would need to know that his needs were being addressed and she assured me this would be the case. This didn't happen and I was left to assume they were.
You asked for my opinion and this it.

There should be one single member of staff with an overview of each new resident during their settling in period, who is the point of contact for relatives/former carers. This person should keep them informed about all the necessary arrangements as they are made and certainly on a weekly basis until such a point that it is evident that everything has been transferred and is in place, at which point the relative/carer can back off safe in the knowledge that all is well.

This is also an opportunity to prove your commitment to care and receive the praise and thanks which you deserve for the very difficult and trying job that you all do.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at Forthbank Care Home responded to this review on 10 Apr 2017:

Communication is important to us and we strive to communicate effectively with Residents and relatives but on this occasion our timing was inappropriate and for this, we can only apologise.

We do try to ensure that one person is responsible for the admission and follow-up of Residents but due to annual leave and sickness, this can be difficult to achieve.

We take on board your comments and will review the admission process to ensure a more satisfactory experience for both Residents and relatives which includes ensuring that the small issues are addressed.

In searching for a care home for my mother, I found Forthbank Care Home to have the most welcoming atmosphere . As soon as I walked in, the management and staff could not have been more helpful in ensuring my mother was welcomed and since then she has been looked after incredibly well. I cannot thank all the staff enough because they have made what can be an incredibly difficult transition, so easy. My mother has settled in very well and loves her new beautiful room and compares everything to being in a first-class hotel! I am also very relieved to know she is being looked after so well and that has helped me enormously. Thank you !!

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Enjoy taking part in activities, lots to do. Staff are always happy, we are looked after really well. Food is really good, nice home baking, especially like the cream cakes.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Forthbank is a lovely home. I've spent time in the garden area that has been recently landscaped. Nice peaceful place to sit and relax with lovely views. Staff are extremely nice, nothing is too much bother. Always smiling and making us smile.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Love the new décor home is very nice, staff look after me and they are always smiling and nothing is too much bother. Food is very good and plenty of it.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Decor is very nice. Staff are all smart and very cheery. Will do anything for you. Meals are very good, wide choice. Manager has been going around, nice to see.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

My partner has dementia and has been a resident for 3 months. She gets very agitated at times and the staff have tried very hard to help calm her down to make her stay in the care home is more pleasurable. I have been informed several times of any incidents involving her and I find this important so I am aware of her welfare.
I feel I can talk to any of the staff, at all levels to seek information that is relevant to me and my partners condition.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Likely

I recently moved into the home and are very happy here, plenty to do each day activity lady visits each day to tell me what's on throughout the day and to see if I want to join in. It was nice to see the managers in and around the home, talking to everyone asking how they are. The food is excellent plenty of choice.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Having been encouraged by a residents daughter i began volunteering. I have attended various events e.g. Christmas Fayre, Christmas day, festive choir, Burns day etc. On each occasion i have had a warm welcome from staff who have been helpful in ensuring i am sure about my role. On each occasion i have left up-lifted- not for myself but for how heartening it is to see staff's warm interaction with the residents and the efforts made at social events to ensure residents and families enjoy the experience.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

Recent refurb is 100%. Done in good taste. Company put their money where their mouth is. People looking round cant help but be impressed.

How likely would you be to recommend Forthbank Care Home? Extremely Likely

My room is lovely, my son chose it for me and the staff made it homely by putting up my pictures there is lots of activities for me to join in I enjoy the homemade meals. Very satisfied with everything.

Submit a Review for Forthbank Care Home

Recipient: HC-One

Recipient: HC-One

Yvonne

Yvonne Graham

Joined: 2016

“I believe that kind care involves working in the best interests of the Residents in everything we do and in treating Residents and their families with the utmost dignity and respect.”

As a Registered Nurse and formerly a Care Assistant, Yvonne has gained many years’ experience in providing care and support for older people to enrich their lives. She is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Yvonne joined Forth Bank as Home Manager because she closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. She uses her experience to motivate her team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

She also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to Forth Bank.

When asked what she enjoys most about her role, Yvonne remarked: “I enjoy
knowing that I am giving 100% to the Residents of Forth Bank as it enables me to take pride in what I do.”

Outside of work, Yvonne enjoys the thrill of the racetrack, whether its horse racing or watching her own greyhound compete.

If you would like to find out more information about Forth Bank, Yvonne has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Forthbank Care Home