Hawkhill House Nursing Home

234 North Deeside Road, Milltimber AB13 0DQ

Hawkhill House Nursing Home, Milltimber, Aberdeenshire

Hawkhill House in Milltimber, Aberdeenshire, offers residents one and a half acres to enjoy.

Hawkhill, situated west of Aberdeen, is a home to residents above all else and every aspect of daily life is planned with this in mind.

Staff work hard to enable residents to continue living full, active lives, providing personalised care and support as and when it’s required.

Within the home, all of the bedrooms are tastefully decorated and furnished to a high standard.

Part of the Caring Homes Group, Hawkhill House staff assess all of prospective residents to ensure the home can meet their specific care needs. A care plan is then developed, which sets out the tailored package of care and hospitality as agreed. Residents are encouraged to make their room their own with small items of furniture and other treasured possessions.

The home's colourful gardens provide peace and seclusion and many opportunities for social activities. With attractive areas at all times of the year, the gardens are a place of therapeutic relaxation for residents and their visitors.

Group: Caring Homes Group

Person in charge: Mel Shearer (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Aberdeen City Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 41 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Hawkhill House Nursing Home: click here

posted 14 Nov 2017

Please call 0808 223 5322 or email enquiries@caringhomes.org for further information about current Bed Vacancies at Hawkhill House.

9.3 Hawkhill House Nursing Home has a Review Score of 9.3 (9.260)

The Review Score of 9.3 (maximum of 10) for Hawkhill House Nursing Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 12 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Hawkhill House Nursing Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.9 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.406 for Hawkhill House Nursing Home is calculated as follows: ( (73 Excellents x 5) + (55 Goods x 4) + (15 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 143 Ratings = 4.406

The 4.854 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Hawkhill House Nursing Home is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8.2 positive Reviews (41 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 8.2 Target = 0.854

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Hawkhill House Nursing Home?

Reviewer Connection to Hawkhill House Nursing Home

The nursing home has undergone some changes since being taken over by Caring Homes. They have created a sensory room and new laundry room. There have has been a lot of changes with staff and several senior members have left. They have an activity leader who tries to motivate the residents in different activities, however, due to short staffing she sometimes works as a carer, thus meaning there are no activities. She should be given more time and support to be able to do more activities with the residents as she is able to encourage them to take part.

How likely would you be to recommend Hawkhill House Nursing Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Mel Shearer, Home Manager at Hawkhill House Nursing Home responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

We really appreciate your feedback.
Activities are an extremely important part of life at Hawkhill House and we pride ourselves on ensuring all of our residents get the chance to enjoy an activities programme tailored to their individual tastes or needs, including group, 1 –to-1 and pampering sessions.
We regularly run recruitment campaigns to build our care team thus ensuring they are able to provide person centred care and spend valuable time with our residents and to ensure the Activities Coordinator is able to provide great activities and encourage residents to take part.
Our current Activities Co-ordinator occasionally chooses to work additional shifts as a carer in addition to her shifts leading activities, not in place of them. We welcome the opportunity to improve and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future, our Home Manager’s door is always open if you wish to discuss any aspects of your relative’s care.

My mother moved into Hawkhill home in May, she has settled in well. The staff are caring and helpful, nothing is too much for them and they always make you welcome.
The family are at east when leaving after visiting my mum as we know she is being well cared for. The staff are very approachable if we have any queries.

How likely would you be to recommend Hawkhill House Nursing Home? Extremely Likely

My mum was a resident at Hawkhill Nursing Home for three months. She was always treated with the utmost care and respect by all staff. This care was extended to her family who were kindly supported through a difficult time. I especially appreciated being able to stay in her room and be with her constantly for the last week of her life. I will treasure the memories of this and offer my heartfelt thanks to the staff for their support and attention.

Very very pleased with the overall care provided at this nursing home.
Staff are wonderful, caring, attentive and so patient. They are always smiling and very happy to carry out duties that are required.
My wife is very well looked after. She is always clean, smartly dressed, hair good, face cream applied. This pleases me a lot.
I feel fortunate to have got her into such a good home.

Hawkhill House is a caring home not a name.
Welcome is warm, staff exceptional, very caring and very patient,
I am very happy to leave my wife in their care. It's a home from home.

My mother has been in Hawkhill House since May and I am very pleased with the care she receives. If I have any issues regarding my mother they are always dealt with promptly and efficiently. I have developed a very good relationship with all the staff and find them all approachable. My only minor issue is as my mother is in a wheelchair permanently she has no way of getting out other than a taxi. I believe driver training is in hand and therefore transport and outings would be a welcome addition.

Mel Shearer, Home Manager at Hawkhill House Nursing Home responded to this review on 04 Jan 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to review Hawkhill House, we really appreciate your feedback. At Hawkhill House we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high-quality care and facilities. We are very pleased to note that you have developed a good relationship with our team and are happy with the care your mother receives. Trips which involve our mini bus can be planned in advance, catering for everyone's needs when possible. Extra driver training is in hand which will increase the opportunities for outings once completed. We always welcome comments and suggestions and the opportunity to improve and we hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

My mother has only recently moved in from another home outside Aberdeen and the staff have been helpful and informative at this difficult settling in period. The care both medical and social has been very good and creates a nice positive atmosphere throughout the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Hawkhill House Nursing Home? Likely

Small and friendly in good location. Does need an update, especially shower rooms. Staff very helpful and caring. Contact from home is very good if needing to ask questions or pass on updates. Changes are being made to decoration, and staff are being extremely well trained

My wife has just reached 90 and has been a resident here for about a year. She was admitted with dementia and has gradually deteriorated until at present she is very poorly indeed. She can hardly stand, cannot walk a step, sleeps days most of the time, although I do my best to stimulate her interests as I stay here 7 hours each day.
The standard of care is very good, some carers are quite respectful and we try to thank them accordingly.
Unfortunateley, we both started influenza a week ago; and it's set us back severely, although having antibiotics.

My family and I have been so impressed with the level of genuine care and support that was given. During the period of illness, the professionalism of the staff was outstanding. They treated all of the family very kindly and could not do enough for them. During the period, our family member who was in the care home had the level of support which was very good. Overall; we were very impressed with the provision.

How likely would you be to recommend Hawkhill House Nursing Home? Likely

Since Hawkhill has changed hands, I seem to have less contact with the staff. I live abroad, I find it quite important to have a good contact. I come over twice a year to visit my mother. It is very noticeable that she is very well cared for my the staff of Hawkhill, so excellent on that part (by far the most important). I hope in the future to be able to have more email contact with Hawkhill.

How likely would you be to recommend Hawkhill House Nursing Home? Unlikely

Mel Shearer, Home Manager at Hawkhill House Nursing Home responded to this review on 17 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking your time to review Hawkhill House. At Hawkhill we take great pride in ensuring we deliver high quality care and facilities and we’re really pleased to hear that you feel your mother is very well cared for by us. It is important to us that you are regularly kept up to date and have now arranged for a monthly update to be emailed to you. We welcome the opportunity to improve and hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us in the home in future.

My wife was admitted to Hawkhill in September 2015 for emergency respite care, and has been there ever since, since it was subsequently decided that she was not fit to return home. The care that she has received has been superb. Her room is comfortable, and well looked after. The staff cannot be faulted in any way, they are thoroughly professional, and go out of their way to try to make my wife feel 'at home'. They have also been extremely helpful to me in coping with my wife's dementia. All my family are equally impressed with Hawkhill.

Submit a Review for Hawkhill House Nursing Home

December 2016

Mel

Mel Shearer

Joined: 2015

Since qualifying as a Nurse in 1991, I’ve worked in a variety of roles – both with the NHS and around the world. In 2009 I accepted a senior nurse post and later became the deputy manager of an Acquired Brain Injury Unit, which was community based and the first of its kind in Aberdeen. In 2013 I moved into care home management, still in the Aberdeen area, and became the Home Manager at Hawkhill House in 2015.

I enjoy the challenges and the diversity of what I do – I can be dealing with many different issues on a day-to-day basis. I really like to be able to make a difference in someone’s life, and my career allows me to do this every day. I am passionate about making sure our residents are happy and comfortable, providing the support they need to maintain their independence and enhance their quality of life.

I take responsibility for the day to day running of all aspects of the home ensuring the care we provide to the residents are of high quality and are person-centred. I take a very active approach in the skills and development of my team, enabling them to achieve their best potential and deliver great care. I work very closely with senior management to ensure that the home is compliant with all regulatory requirements.

Attaining my nursing degree remains my biggest educational achievement. Completing my SVQ 4 in Leadership & Management, and going on to hold a variety of successful managerial positions as a result, have been my most significant career achievements so far. My biggest personal achievement is raising my family – I have two boys who have each now graduated from Aberdeen University, both as Chemical Engineers.

In my spare time, I enjoy going for a swim or to a spa. I also enjoy doing some home projects, like soft furnishings or re-upscaling old furniture. Since the boys have moved out of the family home, I now enjoy spending more time with my husband and our two dogs. My weekends usually consist of long walks in the countryside or having dinner out with family and friends.

I have lived in the local area for more than 10 years now and am familiar with the local community and nearby suburbs. Aberdeen has majestic landscapes and coast line with beautiful architecture and cultural gems to explore. There are lots of fantastic walks around the area and great places to visit, like castles and museums. Night life here is also really good, and there are lots of restaurants to choose from.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Hawkhill House Nursing Home