Buchanan House Care Home, Glasgow, Dunbartonshire

Buchanan House Care Home is a warm and inviting residence with a homely feel, situated in a lovely area of Glasgow. The home provides nursing, residential, dementia, respite and palliative care.

The home is set across two floors and communal dining rooms, lounges and quiet spaces are spread out across the building, meaning peace and tranquillity are never far away.

The home focuses on understanding what quality of life means for everyone and provides the right experiences to help individuals live their life to the fullest.

Group: brighterkind

Person in charge: Donna Walker (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: East Dunbartonshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 53 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Huntington's Disease • Motor Neurone Disease • Multiple Sclerosis • Muscular Dystrophy • Neuropathic • Orthopaedic • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on Buchanan House Care Home: click here

9.4 Buchanan House Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.408)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for Buchanan House Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.4 out of 5 from 20 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Buchanan House Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.408 for Buchanan House Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (129 Excellents x 5) + (79 Goods x 4) + (28 Satisfactorys x 3) + (2 Poors x 2) ) ÷ 238 Ratings = 4.408

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Buchanan House Care Home is based on 17 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.6 positive Reviews (53 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 17 Reviews ÷ 10.6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Buchanan House Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Buchanan House Care Home

My mother entered Buchanan House in December 2016 and settled in very quickly. I attribute that to the extremely high standard of care and the swiftness of her personal items being erected on her bedroom wall. During her stay, my mother has received assistance 'in house' from GPs, an optician, a physio, podiatrist and dentist, not to mention the weekly hairdresser. I have seen first hand the variety and nutritional value of the meals. I am so pleased that regular fluid is provided. My mother enjoys the regular luncheon and coffee and is impressed with the variety of activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I find the staff at the care home all very friendly and approachable. Whenever I have raised anything it has been actioned immediately and followed up. I would say that some parts of the home are looking a bit tired but am aware that they are in the process of decorating/refurbishing the home. Overall I cannot fault the care that has been and continues to be given to my mum. My mum's needs are being met by the home and she enjoys the activities that the home puts on on a regular basis.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My friend was a very difficult arrival at Buchanan House. Now after two years of patience, tolerance and superb care she has now settled and in good health physically, despite a disability from childhood which restricts her walking. I visit when I can and am always welcome, often with a hug from some of the long time carers which is very welcoming. The activities are great, especially the sing songs, which amazes me that my friend remembers every word but sometimes I wonder if she remembers who I am. The office staff too care so friendly and quite often I arrive to find my friend in the office where she is welcomed. Great place, super staff. Thank you for looking after her so well.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother has dementia and we chose the above care home as it was not too modern and had a homely feel, that would make mum feel as if she was not in an institution.
She has been there over 18months and their care and activities have seen mum improve and physically much better.
They have a good range of meal choices and tea/coffee available at all times.
I have the feeling that the staff really care for the residents and from our family's point of view we feel she is in a safe place.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

The stay at Buchanan House Care Home was enjoyed and the surroundings appreciated.
The staff were extremely kind and caring and we feel every effort was made to make it an enjoyable experience. We are very grateful to have such a lovely place to entrust our husband/dad

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very happy with the standard of care. Staff pleasant, happy and very attentive towards my mother. The level of supervision in lounges good. Decor a bit tired but refurbishment in progress. Overall a very good home.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother in law has settled in so much better than we anticipated which is without doubt due to the care and attention all members of staff have shown her, she is encouraged to join other residents in the newly decorated day room and we are happy to see her socialising more than we would have expected her to. The staff are fantastic and certainly caring , it's great peace of mind to see her looking happy and looked after , we are always made welcome anytime we visit.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Home being refurbished at the moment - no problems with care or welfare.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am pleased with the care my husband receives in Buchanan House. The staff are very kind and attentive. The home is very clean and comfortable and well kept.
The only complaint I have is there is a shortage of staff on duty some days.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Likely

Donna Walker, Home Manager at Buchanan House Care Home responded to this review on 02 May 2017:

Thank you for your comments, we always welcome feedback as we strive to improve our care. Our staffing levels in the home are calculated using Care Inspectorate guidance and CHESS tool to determine the dependency of our residents. We allocate our staffing based on these guidelines and the level of staffing is good for the home. If you wish to discuss this further please don't hesitate to contact me.

Overall, my fellow Power of Attorney and I are happy with the care our resident is having at Buchanan House. She really requires only a little personal care and sometimes we are concerned this is not being done. Any health issues which arise are dealt with very quickly and we are kept informed.

Lately, we have been informed about the heating in our resident's room and although the staff have been trying to solve this issue, it has culminated in a change of bedroom. We are satisfied with this result and hope the new room will be ready soon. In general, we find the staff attentive, obliging and supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Likely

Last time hubby was in for respite they hadn't packed his hearing aids, and I had to go back for them, which I wasn't too happy about as it's a half hour drive each way and I had to leave my husband to go and get them. I've just picked him up from the second time bring in respite, and several items of clothing are missing as well as his urine bottle and basket it sits in. Since I got back I have phoned and phoned but no one answers. Not impressed!

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Neither Unlikely or Likely

Management: Poor

Value for Money: Poor

Donna Walker, Home Manager at Buchanan House Care Home responded to this review on 29 Mar 2017:

Thank you for your comments, we welcome all feedback that will help us continue to improve our services.

We are so sorry about the hearing aids that you had to travel back to the home to pick up. During your husband’s second respite stay, the urine bottle and basket were in the room beside him and not packed as the carer believed they belonged to the home. We believe there were some items of clothing in the laundry that weren’t ready for your departure, of which have now been sent to your home address.

We can only apologise for nobody answering the telephone; our weekend Receptionist was on Annual Leave so the response would not have been as prompt as usual where there is normally somebody available to answer all calls quickly and effectively.

If there is anything you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact customercare@brighterkind.com, or pop into our home anytime, my door is always open. Donna Walker, Home Manager

Mum had a fall, broke a bone in her hip and couldn't wait to get her back to home from the hospital. Staff in the home are excellent, caring, concerned, keep family informed of mum's eating, weekly weight etc. They have/are assisting her to walk again and spend time with her (prev to her fall she was always walking around, being busy). I would recommend Buchanan House to anyone, mainly due to the STAFF!

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother/other residents are well cared for from a medical and personal perspective. Food is varied and generally of a good standard.
Care home common areas are maintained to a good standard and high level of cleanliness. Residents rooms are homely but my mother's toilet could do with some decorative attention. Staff are attentive and show compassion. There is no such thing as a perfect care home but Buchanan Home ticks many of the boxes.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

Excellent care givers, my mother is very happy, as are we.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

I find the home to be friendly, clean and very helpful. Staff have been always most reliable and kind.
All requests I make are adhered to and I feel my aunt has good food, comfort and company.
I am very grateful to Buchanan House for all that they do.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother became resident in the care home in February 2016. She seemed happy well fed and enjoyed the company of other residents and staff. Unfortunately, she suffered a severe stroke in October. After six weeks she was returned to the home severely disabled, bedridden and fed by a tube. The care and attention from the staff has been excellent and they ensure that she is kept very comfortable.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Likely

An excellent facility that provides a high standard of care. Some areas requiring a degree of an upgrade (ongoing) but this is more than compensated for by excellent staff. Extremely clean; excellent and reliable laundry service; reasonable activities; very good service (dentist, doctor, optician etc) and great staff who interact with residents and respect their dignity.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Extremely Likely

My wife is in on a temporary basis. The staff are very attentive to our needs and cheery with it. The premises are open and airy and the private room is very comfortable. My wife has adapted to the place better than I thought. All is satisfactory.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Likely

As I only had six days in the home I am unable to give a great deal of information. However, I can only say that I was made very welcome and all the staff very helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Buchanan House Care Home? Likely

The staff try their best. It is hard living with others in a group, but it is good to have company and someone to look out for you, they deserve a reward.

Submit a Review for Buchanan House Care Home

Recipient: brighterkind

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Buchanan House Care Home