The Village Care Home, Glasgow, Lanarkshire

The Village Care Home is situated within the conservation area of Old Cumbernauld Village on the outskirts of Glasgow, a purpose built 48 bedded property offering Nursing and Dementia care.

At The Village Care Home Residents relax in the bright and spacious lounge which features comfortable and specially designed furnishings. With a range of comfortable and well-equipped bedrooms; some rooms also have views across the garden.

Chefs at The Village pride themselves on knowing the tastes of Residents and preparing a choice of fresh, nutritional meals and catering for any dietary and cultural needs. At HC-One, experienced Home Managers and members of staff ensure kindness is at the heart of everything they do.

Person in charge: Roger Milligan (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Lanarkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 48 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alcohol Dependence (past or present) • Alzheimer's • Bipolar/Manic Depression • Cancer Care • Challenging Behaviour • Drug Dependence (past or present) • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Punjabi Mirpuri, Panjabi, Punjabi, Polish, Tagalog, Urdu

Facilities & Services: Respite Care • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room

Latest Care Inspectorate* Report on The Village Care Home: click here

posted 26 Jan 2018

Please contact us for information regarding our bed availability

9.4 The Village Care Home has a Review Score of 9.4 (9.378)

The Review Score of 9.4 (maximum of 10) for The Village Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Village Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.7 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.649 for The Village Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (154 Excellents x 5) + (68 Goods x 4) + (6 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 228 Ratings = 4.649

The 4.729 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Village Care Home is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 9.6 positive Reviews (48 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 9.6 Target = 0.729

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Village Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Village Care Home

• Grandson of Resident/Service User

My wife has been in The Village Care Home for six years. Today, the 12th of October, was our 60th wedding anniversary and we were treated to wonderful sirloin steak lunch with all the trimmings and a bottle of non-alcoholic wine. What a wonderful time we had, all thanks to the wonderful caring staff and kitchen staff I have to thank them all. In all of my wife's time at the village she has been treated with utmost care and attention, kindness and respect from everyone involved in the home I recommend this home and if possible I would give them more than 10 out of 10 they are that good.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Don't know

I feel extremely fortunate to have managed to find my mother a place where staff are kind and treat residents with dignity. Management are very kind and treat residents with dignity. Management are very informative and always accessible. Front line staff deliver excellent centred cared tailored to each individual. The chef makes a variety of tasty yet nutritional meals.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with the care provided to my Dad. I can tell he is very comfortable and enjoying his time here as he is very settled and always saying he feels at home. The compassion portrayed by the carers to my Dad and other residents is fantastic and it enables me to be at ease knowing he is very well looked after. The communication between the nursing staff is very very good. I am pleased with everything. I love that 10/10 care is provided to my Dad allowing me to provide and enjoy quality time with him.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

Asked to short-list 3 care homes, I arrived at the Village one wet, grey Saturday - unannounced and apprehensive. The Staff Nurse was clearly busy but welcomed me like an old friend and whisked me inside, treating me to an impromptu tour of the whole home.
I was most impressed with the pretty dining rooms, the homely lounge with the piano/bookcases and the beautiful en-suite rooms and lovely gardens but have to say that what impressed most was the way he knew every name and face and had such a good rapport with each resident. There's such a positive, caring spirit among all the staff and the cheerful, homely environment gave me the confidence to put Mum in there. Personal care is often a difficult issue with a dementia sufferer but the motherly and friendly faces and manner of the carers helped Mum to accept it.
Every family wants to get it right for their loved one and if you choose the Village you can rest easy that you've done that. It's become home in every sense.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

My mother had only a short 6 month stay in this extremely good care home. From the moment we arrived at 'The Village' - when a staff member ended her break to take us to Mum's room until her death in March we could not be happier with her care. Whatever was required was supplied to make Mum's life easier which gave me back my lovely Mum. I now had all the time to spend enjoying her company, either taking part in the activities or just quiet time in her room. When Mum was in her last battle the staff knew what we needed before we did and it was provided immediately. Throughout all of the time spent in 'The Village', we were treated as part of an extended family.
The care and attention given were second to none. All of the family appreciate what was given to Mum. The respect shown for Mum's dignity was wonderful to see.
The staff from the manager down are the salt of the earth and my thanks go to every one of them from the bottom of my heart. In Mum's word, they are MAGIC.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am a very regular visitor to the care home and I can honestly say I am completely satisfied with every aspect of the care given to my aunt. The staff are wonderful and always very accommodating to both residents and visitors. The manager has a very open door policy and always there at any time to chat and listen, excellent manner.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

Very caring, compassionate and helpful. Always ready to answer questions. Plenty of activities.

Very nice home - very clean. Mother very happy there.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

The care and attention provided for our mother during her stay at Village Care Home was excellent. The staff in Balloch Unit were professional and carried out their duties in an understanding manner. Their interest in and friendly manner towards our mother ensured we felt confident in having chosen this facility. The compassion shown particularly in her final hours has left an indelible memory on our family.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

It was a difficult decision for my wife to come into a home after 61 years together. I have had a good experience at The Village Home. The staff are very good as is the manager. The nurses and team leaders are exceptional. I feel I made the right choice.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Likely

I was very apprehensive about having to put mum into a care home, after a great deal of research, The Village Care Home seemed to meet her needs. After a very pleasant and informative meeting with the manager and a guided tour of the premises, we decided that my mum should reside there when a place became available. The manager kept in touch with us even visiting my mum in hospital and when a suitable place was available mum was transferred. It has been a great decision we have not regretted it. Mum is very happy, she has a lovely room and is attended to by wonderful caring people. I never thought that it would be so easy. It's a delight to see her so well looked after. She loves the social events, the company and the food, which is first class. The staff and manager go out of their way to ensure that the residents feel at home. I personally can't thank them enough for also making me feel that I am welcomed.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

I like to relate this to one incident. Without our request, the chef of the home baked and iced a birthday cake beautifully in Chinese character for her birthday. It shows his compassion for her and for him to take special effort to do that is really beyond one's duty. My mother in law is the only Chinese resident of the home and has been there now for half a year. Even though she does not speak English, the Manager and all his staff take great care to communicate with her. She is happy there and has told us often. I believe we have chosen the right home for her after we checked out in total six homes.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Likely

As my mother has dementia my brother and I looked at nursing homes in mums area. We visited The Village Care Home separately and decided it was most suitable for our mum, since moving in we have found the staff very kind and attentive to mums needs, also from the manager to the carers on mums floor, easy to talk to about mums care and any concerns we may have. I would like to see a little more activities as days can be very long for some residents. We visit mum on a regular basis and at different times of the day and at no time have we ever found to be intruding by staff. We as a family feel we have made a good choice for our mum.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

HC-One, Careline Team at The Village Care Home responded to this review on 26 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. We really value the feedback provided by those who use our services.

Your kind words will be shared with the team here at The Village Care Home.

We endeavour to have a dedicated Activities Co-Ordinator at each home to ensure a range of engaging and enjoyable activities are provided for all Residents, based on their individual likes and preferences. We also are now making good use of our minibus so that day trips can be arranged for Residents.
The activity programme available is discussed with our Residents during a monthly meeting; we also hold regular Relative meetings, if you feel you would like to have an input to what is offered please feel free to come along. The next meeting is Friday, 29th April at 2:30pm.
Thanking you again for taking the time to provide really helpful feedback about the home. We value all feedback and ensure it is recorded and acted upon.

All mums needs are met and she's very happy and content in the care home, she feels as though it her own home, she likes all the staff, they are all friendly and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

My Mum has only been a resident for 4 weeks but in this short time all the wonderful Staff at The Village Care home have done their best to make Mum feel "At Home".

From the Cleaning Staff to the Care Staff to the Management we have as a family been made to feel very welcome and can leave Mum in their hands knowing that she will be well looked after.

Thank You.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

To residents and relatives alike are so well treated. A sense of wellbeing throughout. A willingness to maintain a high standard of care in all aspects of running a first class establishment. Confident of sincere help at all times when required, equally to relatives and residents.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

I am very happy with the care that mum and dad are receiving. Most of the staff seem to be really good at their job.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Likely

My relative has been in this care home for approximately 1 year. My first impression of the care home was that it was "homely", clean, safe and very friendly. It has lovely well maintained grounds and on entering the care home it has a pleasant welcoming entrance. The residents bedrooms are very comfortable and each has it's own en-suites. Residents are encouraged to personalise their rooms. The communal areas - sitting rooms and dining rooms are airy and spacious with each dining table having tablecloths and napkins. The meals are of a good standard and the portions plentiful. The care home has it's own mini bus and residents (if mobile) can enjoy outings. For those residents who are unable to join in these excursions there are activity co-ordinators on hand who provide a variety of things for residents to participate in if they wish.

All the staff are great. They treat residents with dignity and respect and have taken time to know each resident's likes/dislikes. They are friendly and very supportive of all the family.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

The Village care home looked after my dad for 15 months. During that time he was extremely well looked after and always treated with dignity. The staff are very friendly and compassionate. The managers door is always open and he is readily available to discuss any issues or concerns of which I have to say I had none. I highly recommend the village care home.

How likely would you be to recommend The Village Care Home? Extremely Likely

Few people want to be in a care home and very few relatives want to place a loved one into a care home. The management and the staff at The Village understand this. They have made my Gran feel welcome and cared for in her new community, helping her adjust to her new life over the past year and providing a safe, comfortable environment for her to live in. She is doing much better today than when she entered The Village a year ago and I can take comfort in knowing that she is in a very good place that nurtures her vibrancy and vitality. I am overseas, which adds to the challenges and the worries of having a loved one in care. The team have gone above and beyond to help my Gran and I stay in touch. Administration has been a breeze, thanks to them. They have even sent me photos of Gran enjoying herself on an outing.

Submit a Review for The Village Care Home

February 2014

Roger

Roger Milligan

Joined: 2014

As a Registered Nurse, Roger has spent a number of years providing care and support for elderly people to enrich their lives. He is a knowledgeable and dedicated leader who is passionate about delivering the highest possible standards in care and quality of life for Residents.

Having worked at The Village for a number of years, Roger closely shares HC-One’s vision in aiming to provide the kindest care for each and every Resident. He uses his experience to motivate his team to deliver care and support in a way that Residents gain the most benefit, in a warm and welcoming home.

He also works hard to arrange events and activities with nearby organisations and is always quick to welcome the local community to The Village.

When asked what he enjoys most about his role, Roger remarked: “I particularly enjoy meeting and getting to know new people.”

Outside of work, Roger enjoys participating in his local choir.

If you would like to find out more information about The Village, Roger has an ‘Open Door Policy’ and would be pleased to welcome you for an informal discussion.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Village Care Home