Stowford House

Faringdon Road, Shippon, Abingdon OX13 6LN

Stowford House is a new purpose built, state-of-the-art home. It offers professional care services from a scenic Abingdon location, where its residents are able to enjoy personalised care services designed to promote their self-esteem.

Carers are highly-trained in the challenges presented by dementia diagnosis, as well as many other specialist conditions and nursing needs, such as cancer and stroke care.

An active and enjoyable lifestyle is available to all, through the home's activities programme and Stowford House has good wheelchair access to all parts of the home including the large surrounding gardens.

Group: St Cloud Care Ltd

Person in charge: Sherrie Hume (Service Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Oxfordshire County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 51 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Cancer Care • Colitis & Crohn's Disease • Epilepsy • Hearing Impairment • Parkinson's Disease • Speech Impairment • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Languages Spoken by Staff (other than English): Polish

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Stowford House: click here

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Stowford House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4 out of 5 from 25 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Stowford House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.047 for Stowford House is calculated as follows: ( (100 Excellents x 5) + (127 Goods x 4) + (55 Satisfactorys x 3) + (8 Poors x 2) + (5 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 295 Ratings = 4.047

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Stowford House is based on 14 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 10.2 positive Reviews (51 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 14 Reviews ÷ 10.2 Target Reached = 1

9 Stowford House has a Review Score of 9 (9.047) from 25 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Stowford House?

Reviewer Connection to Stowford House

Lovely, caring staff, so kind to my Mum. Thank you so, so much.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

My sister moved in just over one year ago with Alzheimers which had made living alone impossible.
Throughout this year we have both been happy with the way she has been looked after. We made the right decision to move her into Stowford Hosue and recommend it.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

My friend has become a full-time resident at Stowford House from mid-September 2017. I have been visiting her on a regular basis.
I am impressed by the care given - particularly the friendly, cheerful and tactile approach.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

It was a difficult but necessary decision to place my aunt in a care home but we have been very happy as a family with the transition from her home. My sister has been in regular contact with my aunt and the staff and only gives glowing reports. I have visited my aunt a few times recently and been impressed with all staff contact with her and the obvious caring relationship staff have with her. She refers to Stowford House as her home now and feels valued and content. Thank you all for caring for my aunt so well.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

My mother has been in there for over 5 years. Throughout her time, the communication between nurses had been appalling. Carers do not read or act upon care plans, food has been poor both in terms of quality and nutrition. The whole place is grubby and shabby. Little attempt is made to (a) clean residents hands prior to and after meals, (b) tables are dirty. Things go missing all the time. There has been massive staff turnover generally and we are now on the 6th manager in 6 years.

In the 18 months, the previous manager was in situ, things did improve but it was a massive task. The new manager is totally unapproachable, keeps her door closed, seems to work very short hours and takes forever to answer emails. When she does eventually respond to them, questions are not answered. Everything is now sliding very quickly back downhill. I despair.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Unlikely

Stowford House is a caring home with happy and caring staff.
The food could be improved. General care is good.
Cleanliness is good.
Residents could have more one to ones if they don't partake in activities.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

My wife is happy and well looked after at Stowford House. I spend several hours with her every afternoon.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

I understand it must be a difficult job.
I feel that at times my mother's room is not that clean ie food on the floor and armchair dirty.
My mother's clothes and belongings go missing.
I do find the head nurse on my mother's wing very friendly and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

In general, the behaviour and treatment of both carers and nurses is very good. Their behaviour towards my wife at all times is very good and shows understanding when she has difficulty in speaking to explain her requirements.

Staff are hard pressed to cope at meal times.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

An excellent house for a resident

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

All the care and nursing staff are very polite, caring and attentive, however they can be hard pressed and overworked at times, leading to delays at times when answering 'call buttons'.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Don't know

My experience of Stowford House is that it is good. However, the food is poor and access is very limited.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

My wife is being well looked after. She is contented under the circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

Not bad at all. Improving - seems much cleaner and less smelly recently.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

Stowford House has improved greatly during the past twelve months. The manager and her staff work very hard to make the residents' life as comfortable as possible. The menus are varied and the quality of food is good. The activities team manage to find something for everyone.

Well done Stowford House.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

I think it's getting a little better. Still there is room for improvement.
I think we need one more carer for the night and on 1 floor.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

My husband is relatively young (72) and has a complex medical condition. Staff from manager to cleaners.cooks have treated him with dignity and made special arrangements to care for his changing needs. I am impressed by the individual attention we have both received.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

Placing someone into a nursing home is very hard, especially when they are very poorly and gave vascular dementia and no idea as to what is going on. But I need not have worried. Everyone at Stowford House could not have been more welcoming and caring. It is always spotless and no telltale signs of accidents or crime etc.
The activities provided for residents are invaluable and my friend has improved beyond all measure with the daily stimulation. If the time comes when I may need help myself, I know Stowford House is the place for me.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

When my family decided it was in my sister's best interests and safety for her to be admitted to a nursing home, I was very apprehensive and worried. I feared I would not do the best for my sister.

I needn't have been concerned as Stowford House was everything I hoped it would be. All the staff from the manager down have been exceptional. The care and consideration afforded to my sister cannot be faulted. People I have spoken to have nothing but good things to say about Stowford House. I would definitely recommend this care home without hesitation.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

Very good care staff. Food good but sometimes repetitive.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

The care my brother received in the three and a half years he was a resident at the above home was excellent, we found all the staff who cared for him were very friendly and excellent at their jobs, under very difficult circumstances.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Likely

I think it's very very nice here, it's like being at home. Staff are very good they sit with me and chat when they have time, there cheerful and a ray of sunshine.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

I love going to the singing when its on in the home and the care we have is really nice too. I like my room I have my TV and radio what more do I need I'm very happy.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

I like to lay in my bed and watch my TV. The staff are good and I keep them in line. We are like one big family.

How likely would you be to recommend Stowford House? Extremely Likely

My mother went to live at Stowford House in September 2013 and this lifted a massive weight off my shoulders.
My mum is on lower memory lane and from day one of mum being there she has been shown real love, care & attention. I have worked for 24 years in elderly care and after looking round at several homes with my partner, my brother and his partner I was always going to be very picky about where my should go. When we went to look round Stowford we all had a sigh of relief that we had found mum her new home.
Recently my mum has been very poorly and this has been really difficult to see my mum so frail but all the staff at Stowford a great support to me and they shown my mum great love & care.
I couldn't ask for more.

Submit a Review for Stowford House

August 2014

Diploma Awards

Recipient: Stowford House

Date: Friday 08 Aug 2014

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Stowford House