Osborne House, Clevedon, North Somerset

Osborne House, in Clevedon, provides residential dementia care while maintaining an environment where adults with sensitive mental health needs can feel relaxed and have permanent access to a skilled care and support team.

Some of the rooms have sea views and are en-suite, while the home has its own treatment room, a secure patio area, a conservatory and three activity rooms.

Meals are made in-house every day and residents and service users have the opportunity to participate in numerous outings due to minibus availability.

Day care is offered to allow family carers to have a break, allow the home to support non-residents when they can.

In January 2017 Osborne House achieved an 'Outstanding' CQC rating.

Group: Osborne Care Homes Ltd

Person in charge: Suzanne McPadden (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: North Somerset District Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 30 Service Users

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Ground Floor Accommodation only • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Top road of Clevedon past the Walton park hotel, opposite the Bay.

Visitors are requested to be sensible around meal times guest are welcome to enjoy a meal with the resident this is encouraged but please do not interrupt their eating time. Visitors for the safety of residents and staff. will not be let in after 9pm unless otherwise arranged.

Parking is at own risk on the drive or down on the road near by.

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Osborne House: click here

9.7 Osborne House has a Review Score of 9.7 (9.732)

The Review Score of 9.7 (maximum of 10) for Osborne House is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 20 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Osborne House in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.732 for Osborne House is calculated as follows: ( (179 Excellents x 5) + (58 Goods x 4) + (1 Satisfactorys x 3) + (1 Very Poors x 1) ) ÷ 239 Ratings = 4.732

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Osborne House is based on 11 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 6 positive Reviews (30 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 11 Reviews ÷ 6 Target Reached = 1

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Osborne House?

Reviewer Connection to Osborne House

After viewing several homes, Osborne House was the obvious choice. All residents were happy and were spoke to by staff as individuals the interaction between staff and residents is wonderful, also the involvement of the manager on a day to day basis not only with her residents and staff but with the family is outstanding all are very committed.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 15 Feb 2017:

Thank you Mrs Q. Great comments we are glad you are happy with the service we hope to continue to thrive.

My wife has been a resident of Osborne House since mid-August 2016 and has been well cared for in all respects since, and as such, the care home is well deserving their CQC rating of 'Overall Outstanding'.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 14 Feb 2017:

Thank you we love your wife being part of our family she is a very special lady.

My mother is very well cared for in Osborne House and seems quite happy and content every time I visit. I can have peace of mind knowing she is safe now and that she has a kind and caring staff to look after her. There is always a variety of activities to take part in if the mood takes her and it is lovely to get the photos emailed to me when she is taking part. In the main, I feel Osborne House has a very tranquil relaxed atmosphere and nothing is too much trouble.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 13 Feb 2017:

Thank you, Elizabeth it's great you feel your mum has choices, she certainly loves baking.

There is an atmosphere of calm and the residents are given as much freedom as possible to choose what they want to do. There are always staff on hand. I have seen even very poorly residents treated with care and patience despite what must be a very challenging job for the carers.
My wife and I visit normally twice a week and my brother at least monthly. None of us has ever heard a carer raise their voice or treat a resident anything but with patience and kindness, responding caringly when continually pestered for the same thing. When we are there we are not announced to the staff so if there where ill-treatment I would expect to detect it on one of our visits.
Mum is happy and well cared for and I would not hesitate to recommend the home to anybody with a relative with dementia. I cannot comment on value for money because I don't have anything to compare it with. It is a lovely home in a lovely location and Mum is well care for - that to me is value enough.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 14 Feb 2017:

Thank you so much for your kind comments.

The staff are so kind, caring, loving and dedicated to making sure the residents are well cared for and happy and treat them all as if they were their own family. They have many activities and outings which the residents enjoy. We are always advised if there are any medical issues with our relatives and the staff let us know if our residents are being taken to the hospital and why. We are then able to be there at the hospital when they arrive. They also have nights out for the staff and relatives where we get updates on events that have taken place, upcoming events and plans for further improvements to the home. It is very supportive to be able to socialise with others in the same position and get to know them so you can share your feelings.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 14 Feb 2017:

We are glad you have highlighted some very important areas of care and we hope to always improve and keep relatives informed at all times. We hope to be one team.

We feel so fortunate that our mother is here. The staff have been so supportive right from the very first moment. The environment is kind and loving and there is always plenty of activities. The upper management couldn't be better, it is so obvious that their primary concern is the welfare of the residents and families. This is a truly wonderful place and I can't imagine there would be anywhere else that would care for our mother as well as these amazing people do.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 14 Feb 2017:

Thank you for your lovely comments may we keep the standard up and work hard with relatives to improve all the time.

This care home is amazing. My father, who has dementia, has definitely improved both physically and mentally since moving here 11 months ago. He now leads a very active life, participating in a wide range of organised daily creative activities such as cooking and painting. He also enjoys, reading football books and mathematical puzzles. The home encourages him to be as independent as possible in a safe, secure and caring environment. I always find the staff, friendly and welcoming. I can visit at any time as there are no set visiting times. This suits me as I live over 100 miles away. I am kept fully informed about my dad's health problems. If there are any concerns, the Manager will usually telephone me so we can have a chat about things. I am also sent regular updates and photos of my dad by email. I feel that even though I live far away, I am involved in my dad's care. I feel reassured. My dad is receiving the best possible care and is enjoying life in his twilight years.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 10 Feb 2017:

Thank you Brenda we are so pleased we have your dad, he is so entertaining. Great singer!

A very caring environment and the residents are well looked after. Most of their needs are catered for and any medical conditions are dealt with quickly. Residents' families and friends are welcomed into the home. Any problems that need to be reported are dealt with promptly.
Overall a very good care home.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 10 Feb 2017:

Mary thank you for your support we are so pleased you are part of our home also.

My mum moved into Osborne House in November 2016. We viewed quite a few places and nothing compared to Osborne House. The staff here are amazing, loving and caring and they are like an extended family. Putting your parent into full-time care is a hard decision but the transition was helped with the support from the staff.

Overall Standard: Very Poor

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 13 Feb 2017:

We are so pleased we get to have your mum stay with us she is a delight x

A care home who really care for their residents. All staff are trained well and ongoing training is undertaken. There are plenty of activities taking place throughout the day and the other bonus is a minivan which takes out residents, especially during the summer. Day care is also offered for those who wish to send their loved ones in their early stages of dementia. I looked around quite a few care homes before deciding to send my wife to Osbourne House, and I can honestly say it was the best choice.

Suzanne, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 10 Feb 2017:

Thank you for your kind comments we have certainly overcome some challenges and look forward to helping your lovely wife further.

We moved my mother to Osborne House in July 2016 and have been very impressed by the passion and compassion demonstrated by all members of staff. This home is exactly that - a home. You are made to feel welcome, nothing is too much effort and they go to extraordinary lengths to ensure there is a creative calendar of activities that genuinely stimulate the residents. I cannot recommend Osborne House highly enough - this is a wonderful home that is investing in the future. Visit the home - you will not be disappointed...

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

Suzanne Mcpadden, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 09 Feb 2017:

Thank you Simon so much for your comments.
Its such a pleasure to have your mum in our family.

I am always impressed with the way staff handle difficult situations, but I have a concern that rather a lot of excellent staff have left recently and it appears more contract staff are here instead. If this is the case Is it permanent or temporary?

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

Suzanne McPadden, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 24 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your feedback. We demand the highest standards of care from our staff to deliver the best quality care to which we aspire. Our inductions and training programs are rigorous, and can lead initially to a higher staff dropout rate, but we believe a better long term outcome.
Our aim is always is to retain the best staff and reward them appropriately. We only use agency to ensure we have adequate cover where unexpected absences such as sickness occur. A happy stable permanent staff is our priority to secure a happy environment for our residents

The care my father has received from the staff has been excellent and he is very happy there. Dad enjoys the activity's especially the musical ones, as he can play a bit on the piano. He also enjoys the trips out in the mini-bus to different places.

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

Suzanne McPadden, Manager at Osborne House responded to this review on 15 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your kind review. We hope that we can continue to look after your lovely dad for as long as possible and give him the love and care he deserves.

For the short time my Dad has been coming, both my Dad and myself are happy, it is early days, but I am sure things will go along nicely. I hope this helps.
Many thanks from my Dad and myself to everyone, for making it a happy time for him, at this time in his life.

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

As I visit a number of homes each week, I find that Osborne House has a very personal and homely feel about it. The staff are always so attentive to the residents, knowing and calling each by name in a reassuring and "family friendly" way.

We helped move our friend from another home which was very much the opposite, and where she was poorly looked after, and the move has made a wonderful difference. Her health has improved (and it has been difficult at times), her room is well appointed, the staff encourage her to take part as much as she is able, but if she needs to stay in her room sometimes, the staff visit her frequently to ensure "all is well" She has her dedicated key worker to whom family members & friends can ask questions, make suggestions & requests, which are invariably acted upon.

The 'Activities Leader' and all the staff ensure a constant variety of activities and stimulation. The food and dining arrangements are very good - in fact a large dining table has just been installed to enhance the sense of community.

The way the caring manager and her caring team look after their 'family' is for me heart warming. They seem to me to be always looking for ways to make better for those who live at Osborne House. Thanks you every one!

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

My Mother moved to Osborne House in August 2015, and at that time I had no experience of any care home, or what to expect, but I'm just so grateful that I was suggested Osborne House and their fantastic team. The attention to detail with my Mother's care, health, safety, dignity and quality of life is so much more then using the excellent buttons on this review. My Mother is treated as an individual with care that is tailored to her needs and doing this she has become much happier and relaxed, more so than I've seen her in recent years trying to live independently. At the same time the consideration and communication I've received has been excellent and has made a very difficult decision so much easier. Thank you Osborne House.

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

The staff at Osborne House are very caring, helpful and friendly to residents and family alike. Giving support to family if needed at anytime. My mother is very happy here. The staff encourage her to join in activities, bur she is never pushed to do so.

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

I would like to thank all Members of Staff for making my Mothers stay with you so lovely. It was lovely to see my Mother happy and settled. There are lots of activities for all the residents to take part in. The food was lovely and my Mother would often comment on the lovely food. Mum has now settled into her new Care Home and I am sure this is due to the kindness that was given to her when she stayed in Osbourne House with you all. Thank you once again and thank you from my Mother and I will continue to pop in and see the Staff with updates on Mum and visit with the residents.

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

When visiting my sister I have found the staff friendly, welcoming and caring to myself as well as to her. The staff treat her with affection and seem to go to any lengths to ensure her happiness and wellbeing. I have no qualms about leaving her, and although she has been a resident for only six months is happy to stay there and happy to integrate with other residents. I personally have received nothing but sympathy and understanding.

How likely would you be to recommend Osborne House? Extremely Likely

After spending a lot of time viewing homes for my nan when I walked into Osborne House I knew it was where nan would be happy. The staff are brilliant with the right combination of professionalism, and caring. Osborne House really care about the residents and their families. The staff go out of their way to make sure each resident is happy and taking part. They promote choice and independence and I would recommend them to anyone trying to find a safe, secure caring home for their relative. Thank you team Osborne!

Submit a Review for Osborne House

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

January 2017

CQC rated Outstanding in January 2017.

Recipient: Osborne House

Suzanne

Suzanne McPadden

Job Title: Registered Manager

Joined: 2013

I have am a very loving person who likes to listen to people and make a difference to their lives to include residents and staff. If I can make their day easier then I will.
I have worked at Osborne house since opening and have never looked back it has been an amazing project and to create such a loving kind hearted care home has been the target I thrive to get this right.
We will continue as a team to improve and work at together to help others.

Cat

Cat Scott

Job Title: Care Manager

Joined: 2014

I have worked with Suzanne for many years and we both have the same passion to help make a difference to peoples lives. especially those with dementia finding a way to understand.
I have recently passed my level 5 and now have gained so much experience in care in many different areas. A lot of my experience came from working in nursing homes.
I am for ever looking at ways to improve and will continue to do this.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Osborne House