Ashwood Care Centre

Gipsy Lane, Warminster BA12 9LR

Ashwood Care Centre provides specialist care for people requiring dementia care and short-term respite.

The care home offers services for older people regardless of their race or religion and strives to ensure all care delivered is of the highest quality.

Group: The Orders of St John Care Trust

Person in charge: Sarah Hill (Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wiltshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home only (Residential Care) – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 82 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Learning Disability • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Respite Care • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Ashwood Care Centre: click here

The Review Score of 9 (maximum of 10) for Ashwood Care Centre is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 30 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Ashwood Care Centre in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.4 out of 5 from 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.651 for Ashwood Care Centre is calculated as follows: ( (237 Excellents x 5) + (107 Goods x 4) + (8 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 352 Ratings = 4.651

The 4.366 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Ashwood Care Centre is based on 6 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16.4 positive Reviews (82 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 6 Reviews ÷ 16.4 Target = 0.366

9 Ashwood Care Centre has a Review Score of 9 (9.017) from 30 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Ashwood Care Centre?

Reviewer Connection to Ashwood Care Centre

• Vicar / Church Minister

Ashwood Care Centre provides a clean, comfortable and caring environment for my mother. The staff have always been attentive and caring towards my mother and informative towards me. I feel I have the full support of the staff at Ashwood, making sure my mother is happy, comfortable and well cared for. The home provides daily activities if anyone wants to join. I feel at all times the Centre has my mothers best interest.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at Ashwood Care Centre for almost three years and I recommend them unreservedly. My mother has been happy and contented since she moved in and has herself praised the staff and the care given, on numerous occasions.
The Care Centre is purpose built and this really shows in the well-planned layout, the good sized rooms and the homely feel.
I have found all the staff professional, happy and inviting and my mother has said so too. The care and support I would say is second to none.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Excellent purpose built facility. Light and airy with wide corridors and plenty of various sized social areas. Good parking and reasonable access to town centre. Staff are pleasant and attentive, always seem to find time for extra personal attention when required. There seems to be a good range of activities, both provided in-house and externally sourced, such as singers and entertainers, animal visits, shopping opportunities brought in, big board scrabble and quizzes.
Each residential unit has a kitchen area where drinks and snacks are always available.
Visitors are made to feel welcome at almost any time.
Having tried most of the local care homes with another relative, eventually ending up at Ashwood, I had no hesitation in recommending it for my mother when the need arose.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My brother has been a resident in Ashwood Care Centre for the past four years suffering from Parkinson's. The care he received was of the highest standard. The last few weeks he was very ill and we as a family wanted him to remain in Ashwood as he knew the staff. This was the best thing we did as the care and support he received was outstanding. The carers treated him with dignity and love and care was also given to the family. All the staff at Ashwood give more than 100% care.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mother has been at the Ashwood Care Centre for approx one month and has settled in very well, largely due to the kindness, respect, helpfulness and humour of the staff there. The home with its many facilities and delightful garden have proved to be an excellent choice for my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The care home is a lovely place. Rooms are excellent, all ensuite. My husband has only been a resident for one month but has settled down very well. All the carers are very kind to him and myself when I visit. I thoroughly recommend the care home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The care home made a traumatic experience easier.
The staff were open and supportive, clearly experienced and very warm. They took their time to get to know Mum quickly and helped her settle in.
What pleased me the most was that they listened to our comments about what would help Mum cope and carried out our requests in a very sympathetic and understanding manner.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My mum has been a resident at Ashwood Care Centre for about a year now, and on every visit, I have found mum to be clean, tidy and well looked after. All the staff that I have encountered have always been polite and extremely helpful and nothing is too much trouble. I can't thank them enough for looking after mum and other residents so well.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Beautifully and intelligently designed modern care home with friendly respectful staff. My wife and I, if we were ever to need residential care for ourselves would not hesitate taking up residence at Ashwood, as it is we are happy for our loved one to be there. Most importantly she is happy there.

Visitors are made very welcome at any time. Staff and management are very clear that this is the resident's HOME.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's dementia on 14th December 2004 at RICE-RUH and I cared for her until May 2016 when I was medically advised that I needed to get her into a care home. Ashwood Care Centre was recommended and they had a vacancy. My wife settled in very quickly and I was always welcomed as on of the family. Her last nine months were spent in a happy place - thank you.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I chose Ashwood for my wife in the 11th year of early onset Alzheimers and Dementia because of their specialised unit, running alongside normal and residential care and after considerable knowledge gleaned from dealing with both my parents with similar needs.
The physical environment of Ashwood is extremely well planned with the feeling of openness and light and the organisation of 'small households' with up to 16 residents in each household.
Because of the breakdown into smaller units, there is a greater degree of personal contact between the very sympathetic and cheerful care staff and the residents.
The activities are well advertised and timetabled and residents encouraged to participate.
The food is above average for institutionalised meals, the small cinema room and coffee shop add to the feeling of a more normal environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

The night staff acted efficiently in getting appropriate help for my mother-in-law who was then transferred to hospital. The hospital was not prepared to keep her in due to her confusion and anxiety problems so arranged for her to return to Ashwood Care Centre. The staff were all made aware of her returning the same evening and welcomed her back, she was then a lot calmer and less anxious once in her room. We were able to stay with her as long as we wished and offered tea, cakes and extra comfy chairs which after a long day was much appreciated.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum is very happy and contented with Ashwood. The staff are excellent and she has a good quality of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I was at first apprehensive about my mother going into a care home due to some bad press that I had read. She is, however, happy and contented and I have complete peace of mind knowing that she is very well looked after in every aspect which is very important to me as I am the only other surviving member of our family. I cannot praise the staff enough, they are wonderful!

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My parents were both in the care of Ashwood Care Centre. My mother recently passed away and the kindness and consideration to my father (still in care) and the rest of the family has been outstanding. We have all been treated with courtesy, respect and professionalism throughout this time by both carers and other staff. It brings great reassurance when, as a family, you cannot always be together, but are assured of being in capable hands.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My Dad has now been at Ashwood for eighteen months and he continues to surprise me with his amazing progress. He is an extremely independent character and may not always recognise that he needs the help and support he does in order to remain healthy. It is a balance of providing help in a subtle way, while still giving him his independence. I believe this has been achieved at Ashwood, where the entire staff team work extremely hard to maintain the dignity and independence of residents. Prior to moving to Ashwood, Dad was withdrawn and susceptible to extreme anxiety. He had lost interest in a lot of things that he had previously enjoyed, such as listening to music. Thankfully, with the help of staff at Ashwood, he has now rekindled this interest and also developed new ones, much to our delight. I am so relieved that he is in such a caring environment, with an incredible staff team around him. To see him laughing, joking and socialising is wonderful to see. Thank you, Ashwood.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum arrived at Ashwood and the staff instantly made her feel at home and were always very welcoming.
The staff are always so friendly and always seem to be doing things for the residents, nothing seems to be too much trouble.
The facilities are very good and always clean and tidy.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My father receives excellent care for 24 hours a day and night. All of the latest equipment is there for him should he need it. The staff are like family to him and Ashwood is a very homely place where all staff are very approachable.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Since re-locating mum to Ashwood in Warminster she has been very happy, clean and well cared for. She enjoys interacting with the residents and especially with the staff. Her room and all areas in the home I visit are always clean and well up-kept, including the gardens and grounds.
Mum is now in her twilight days and her mobility and dementia have sadly deteriorated, but our frequent visits are always met by a cheerful and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Mum is extremely happy and well cared for. The staff are brilliant! Always attentive, patient and respond to mum, plus others, in the appropriate manner - with respect in a cheerful manner. I, without doubt, would recommend this care centre - in fact my daughter is extremely pleased and wants to book a room for me in the future!

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

My husband a dementia sufferer has recently relocated to Ashwood Warminster (his home town) from care for fourteen months in Salisbury. I have been most impressed at the care, compassion and the support shown to my husband, myself and our family at this difficult adjustment. My husband is very happy in his new surroundings and very fond of all the staff who care for him, their friendly reassurance and support to myself also is wonderful. I rate Ashwood the tops as I know my husband would if he could.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Ashwood is what a care home should be all about. The new purpose built building is homely, bright and attractive. It's been well planned. However any care home depends on the staff, who are extremely caring, friendly, with nothing being too much trouble. They really are first class. An illustration: I take a monthly afternoon service at Ashwood, whilst making my exit the receptionist asked if I had time could I visit one of the residents who that afternoon was not well enough to attend.

It is the sort of home where I could easily see myself as a resident.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

We couldn't have wished for a nicer place for mum to spend her last weeks. All the staff were wonderful and the manager was very, very caring and helpful.
A heart felt Thank you to you all. Mum thought the world of you.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Greeted and shown the room which was light and airy with a very nice en-suite- Food provided was very varied and served in dining room. There was some activity on either/both morning afternoons. Staff always courteous kind and helpful and available when needed. Medicines administered by staff at night times.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I was pleased with the overall care of my mother, however, during her stay she had two falls which made me think that her personal safety care was poor and I would be reluctant to use Ashwood again because of this. I asked for Mum to be toileted between 10-11pm which helps her go through the night uninterrupted. We do not think these instructions were carried out as Mum's night clothes were very badly soiled, far in excess of what we get at home.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Unlikely

Sarah Hill, Home Manager at Ashwood Care Centre responded to this review on 07 Oct 2015:

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We have taken note of your comments and I will certainly address these points with the staff team. While I am glad that you were pleased with your Mother’s overall care, I am sorry that you have been left with concerns. I would like to reassure you that the safety and well-being of our residents is at the centre of all we do. The falls to which you refer were unfortunate and were referred to Safeguarding, as required in such circumstances. I am glad to say that after investigation both were closed with no blame attributed directly to the home. However, I would be more than happy to discuss this further with you if it would help to allay your anxieties.

I attended an open day/fete at Ashwood. It was really well organised, the carers were busy with the residents, they were attentive to their needs and also extremely respectful to relations/other members of the public that were there. The facilities were clean and the care home presented itself very well. I have been on numerous other occasions and even on my first visit the staff were friendly and welcoming.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

I have always found the staff very friendly and helpful and nothing seems too much trouble. I can contact them any time and visit when I want to, do not have to make an appointment. Any time I have been visiting, the staff always treat the people living here with dignity and nothing seems too much trouble.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Extremely Likely

Always a friendly welcome when we arrive. The residents were waiting for us and prepared. Residents are always happy and appreciative of the care, the food and their environment.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Likely

My father has been a resident since Ashwood opened in September 2014. Ashwood is a lovely home. The staff are very helpful to residents and the families. My father likes all the staff. The entertainment is first class. There is a lovely coffee shop. The gardens are lovely well maintained. Lovely seating area for residents and families. There is always plenty for residents to do, skittles, nails and make for the ladies. Quizzes painting so much for all to see and do.

How likely would you be to recommend Ashwood Care Centre? Likely

My Mother went to live at Ashwood Care Centre Warminster in February 2015, with Dementia.
Our Family were concerned to how Mum would adapt and be treated within care.
Since February Mum has been cared for extremely well, everyone is friendly and helpful
Under what are difficult individual circumstances.
My mother's hygiene is of a high standard and her accommodation is clean and tidy.
Like most families, you worry about your loved ones care. We have found all the staff are caring and do their utmost for our mother. Any problems are always quickly addressed. Our families concerns and certain anxiety about Mum going
into care have diminished to a great extent. We as a family visit Mum regularly, we are always welcomed to come and go as we please.
Mum is kept occupied with different activities and events within the Home, she particularly loves the guitar playing and other musical events.
It is never easy to place your loved one into care, but when that time has to come , Ashwood care is highly recommended .

Submit a Review for Ashwood Care Centre

Sarah

Sarah Hill

Joined: 1999

Ashwood Care Centre is a new purpose built care centre designed to look after 82 residents including nursing and dementia care. The centre was opened in autumn 2014. The centre has a dedicated team of over a hundred staff including a deputy manager carers’ activities coordinators ancillary staff and the administrate assistants.

The team are led by the General Manager Sarah Hill who has managed the home since opening and previously managed Woodmead before moving the residents into Ashwood.

Sarah Hill joined the trust in 1999 as a carer and progressed through the career structure in the home to eventually become home manager.

During this time Sarah has gained many qualifications including Registered Managers Award and NVQ level 4 in management as well as a level three dementia qualification.
Sarah leads by example and sets high standards of conduct and care within the team.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Ashwood Care Centre