Great Oaks

Poole Lane, Bournemouth BH11 9DP

Great Oaks is a private care home located in Bournemouth providing nursing, dementia and residential care facilities.

The home is designed with its woodland location in mind, with 180-degree views, allowing residents' relax and feel content.

Great Oaks offers round the clock personalised nursing and dementia care by a team of skilled and professional care staff.

The home is purpose-built with caregiving in mind and ensures that residents can enjoy maximum comfort and have their dignity respected.

The name 'Great Oaks' is derived from the homes historic woodland connection to the local area, as its location is home to some of the oldest and largest oak trees in the area, some are thought to be older than Bournemouth itself. The surrounding areas are lush and green, giving residents a scenic and tranquil environment where they can truly relax.

Owner: Bournemouth Care LLP

Person in charge: Ian MacDonald (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Bournemouth Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 80 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Old Age • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Own Furniture if required • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Great Oaks: click here

The Review Score of 9.9 (maximum of 10) for Great Oaks is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.9 out of 5 from 25 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Great Oaks in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 25 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.895 for Great Oaks is calculated as follows: ( (267 Excellents x 5) + (23 Goods x 4) + (4 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 294 Ratings = 4.895

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Great Oaks is based on 25 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 16 positive Reviews (80 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 25 Reviews ÷ 16 Target Reached = 1

9.9 Great Oaks has a Review Score of 9.9 (9.895) from 25 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Great Oaks?

Reviewer Connection to Great Oaks

• Partner of Resident/Service User
  • Respite Resident/Service User

Right from our very first visit to Great Oaks, everyone was so friendly and there is a lovely atmosphere throughout the home. My father has been spending his days at Great Oaks for the last 3 months and the staff have been very professional and caring. Plenty of staff around at all times and lots of activities going on. Lovely food and gardens.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Great Oak's is a wonderful place. Very friendly staff and management. Very supportive. It is also very clean and spacious. All in all, a wonderful experience.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Staff very friendly and welcoming right from our first visit. Lovely friendly atmosphere and professional and caring staff. Good food and gardens. My husband is very happy at the Great Oaks.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

I was very impressed with Great Oaks Care Home and I knew that my Gran would fit in and be happy there.

The process was great from the initial view of the home, the settling in process and the care that she received. It was so clean, bright and airy everywhere and I particularly liked the different areas that residents could be together and the quieter areas of the home. The terraced garden area was lovely and had a peaceful view over the surrounding gardens.

The meals looked excellent and a wide choice of food options each day.

I felt reassured that we were welcome to go in at any time to see her without calling ahead to say we were coming. My Gran was relaxed and happy and it had a lovely feel from the staff and the other residents.

The Admissions Manager at Great Oaks was so lovely and she really put us at ease with the whole process.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Great Oaks and will definitely use them again.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

I was so worried about putting my Mum into respite care as I wasn't sure how she would get on. We went for a viewing at the Great Oaks and I was very impressed with the reception areas and cleanliness of everywhere. We were shown around the different floors and shown the residents' bedrooms, they were so bright, airy with lovely modern furniture.

We checked my Mum in on the day of her arrival and it was really easy, all the staff were so lovely and caring. During Mum's 2 week stay, we went in to visit on a few occasions. She was very settled and really well looked after. It was very reassuring that we were allowed to go in at any time without giving warning we were coming in.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Great Oaks to anyone and we are looking forward to our next stay.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My husband was at Great Oaks for two weeks respite. We were happy with all aspects of the nursing home for this time. They still need to get patients laundry sorted as some garments returned un-ironed but as it is a fairly new establishment. I'm sure this will improve.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Likely

Staff were absolutely amazing in arranging respite for my father-in-law. The team, on the 1st floor, are absolutely fantastic and the food and care are 1st class. Big thank you for everything you have done in making dad's stay a comfortable and caring break away for all.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Can’t speak highly enough of the admissions team who went out of their way to help get my father in care within a day on an emergency basis. We were very impressed with the purpose-built environment which creates a bright, large, clean, modern, free space in which it is easy to feel relaxed, safe and homely.
My father has only been resident a few days, however, the staff appear to be very professional, attentive, kind and are always engaging with the residents as they go about their duties. My father is always addressed first when we are present and is very much included and part of conversations. He seems to be very happy where he is and his dementia needs are being met. Extremely happy with our experience and certainly rate the home and staff very highly.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

First of all wow - what a lovely home - My father was admitted as emergency respite care last week. I have been very impressed by the level of help, care and support offered by the staff from the moment we made the first enquiry. We have received excellent advice. Care for dad is wonderful. There seems to be plenty of interaction from staff and he is well looked after.
We love the open spaces and freedom for residents to wander around in a safe environment. Little areas with comfortable chairs and great views enable pleasant times to be spent with visiting family and friends. Bedrooms are of a good size. Everywhere is very clean and tastefully decorated. All staff have been very friendly and there is a great "family feel". Most importantly, dad tells us he loves it here and seems happy. All in all, this is not you're run of the mill care home and I certainly recommend visiting!

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My husband suffers from vascular dementia and was suddenly admitted to Great Oaks on a Friday afternoon. All the staff could not have been more helpful and responded very well given the short notice and timing.
The nursing care is very good and all the staff are friendly and kind.
The home set up is very good, it is spacious and light and has helped with my husband’s condition. I’m looking forward to spending time in the lovely garden when the weather improves.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My brother-in-law spent just the last few days of his life in Great Oaks. The facility is brand new and extremely spacious, welcoming and attractovely located. All of the staff were excellent, sympathetic but open and answering all questions clearly and readily. His last hours were spent in peace and comfort. Great Oaks did him a great service.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Very friendly staff. Nursing care to really look after my mother-in-law. Freedom to move around the home for everyone, visitors and guests. Lots of space. Staff are interested in our views. Daily routines for guests. Relaxed atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Great Oaks looked after my husband, admittedly only for a few days but they were all so kind and compassionate to the family and have continued to do so since my husband passed away.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My dad was a resident of Great Oaks, not for long, unfortunately, but we recently had his wake there. It was amazing. The staff could not have been more helpful, from a member of staff attending the funeral, to all the help leading up to dad's wake.
On the actual day, the area we were allowed to use was so user-friendly and comfortable, staff going around serving drinks. The chefs, well, amazing, the food didn't stop coming! Everything we asked for and more. I just hope that they do more wake's even if you're not a resident!

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

From the first time, we visited the home we have been impressed with the overall ambience, the high standard of the rooms and furnishing and most of all by the professional and caring attitude of all the staff. Recently as a family, we have had a major medical crisis and their care not only for my father but us as a family has been wonderful. The home has supported my father who has felt helpless in the situation and also staff have constantly checked how we are bearing up. We cannot thank them enough for the way they have looked after Dad and know that he is in the safest place possible during these stressful times.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My husband is very well looked after at Great Oaks - and so am I! If there is a problem the staff sort it out as quickly as possible. My husband has trouble eating and the appropriate food is always supplied for him.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

I had a week's respite care and found the home very enjoyable. The staff were very welcoming and I felt pampered. I intend to return for another week's respite over Christmas.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

A beautiful facility. You could not ask for a more luxurious home to end your days.

Immaculately decorated with an amazing attention to detail. The 'memory boxes' are wonderful features.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

As a family, we were extremely concerned when we were informed by my mother's previous service provider that they could no longer meet its demands and her care needs. Having assessed a number of possibilities, we chose to relocate her to Great Oaks as we were impressed by the quality of management, the location, it's facilities and its staff. Several months have now passed and we're pleased to say that moving mum to Great Oaks was the best decision we could have made. Mum is receiving excellent care from all of the staff, the location is beautiful and management are always on hand to offer support and guidance. We'd have no hesitation in recommending Great Oaks to anyone who is looking for a safe, caring and home from home environment for their loved ones who need that extra bit of support.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My dad has been at Great Oaks since day one. We are more than happy with the all-around care.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Finding the perfect care home for a loved one is a daunting and emotional experience. The staff at Great Oaks made this as painless as possible.
The admissions advisor instantly put us at ease. It was like entering a 5* hotel. Beautiful decor finished to a high standard.
Dad has Alzheimer's so moving him from his beloved bungalow to strange surroundings wasn't easy. But we had support through each step. We were encouraged to come in for coffee first to get a feel for the place and had lunch. We met some of the friendly and encouraging staff that would be looking after Dad.
In July, Dad moved in, we could tell he loved the surroundings, the staff, the activities.
Dad was understandably confused, but we know he is in the best possible hands. If he wanders at night, the nurses calm him down and have a cup of tea with him.
The staff manage to placate him and make him feel happy. He has friends and company. Even my dog is welcome. It is a beautiful home in beautiful surroundings.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Although I have ticked 'good' for activities, this has no reflection on the efforts to entertain, but I do think that there is not enough to stimulate the residents. I have given full marks for all the other titles and this my honest opinion and all those who fulfil their duties have my thanks and respect for all they do.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Sue Harvey, Deputy Manager at Great Oaks responded to this review on 12 Sep 2017:

Thank you for your valuable feedback and your wonderful review of Great Oaks. As a brand new home, we always want to develop and improve everything we do for our residents. Our activities programme is a vital part of ensuring the well-being of residents and we are dedicated to bringing joy and entertainment to them every day. We realise that everyone is different and has varying interests and passions, therefore we speak to our residents regularly about what they would enjoy – even if it’s something that they haven’t been able to do for years. As a newly opened home, we are beginning to establish strong relationships with local groups and entertainers; however, we are also learning a great deal from our care home in Fareham, Hamble Heights, which has been established for over 4 years now. The Activities team has received a number of awards in fact, for its engaging activities programme, as well as Best Activities Coordinator for the South West in The Great British Care Awards. We are working closely with them and will continue to over the forthcoming days and weeks to establish new connections and to gain exciting new ideas from one another. We have certainly taken on board your valued comments and will endeavour to create an even more varied, fun and engaging activities programme.

We thought that getting Mum to accept going into care was going to be an impossible task! However, from the moment she entered the beautiful building and was welcomed by the lovely staff, the weight was lifted from our shoulders. It's such a relief to know that she is happy and cared for. It's also lovely to visit her at Great Oaks and see her joining in with everything - something we never expected!

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

My mother entered Great Oak two weeks ago, since then I have nothing but praise for the staff and the general care at the home. I know the home is brand new and fitted out to a very high standard, and mother has not been there very long, but she seems a lot more alert and happier in the last two week, and I see no reason for this to change anytime soon.
The staff are very helpful, not just with my mother, but with any teething problems that I may have had.

How likely would you be to recommend Great Oaks? Extremely Likely

Purpose build in scenic surroundings it is a delight to navigate with its large corridors and doorways.
Each floor has its own dining, kitchen and communal areas. Upper floors offer a splendid view via balcony areas and alcoves - a peaceful view away from the communal areas. Meals are excellent quality, great tasting and good portions, created by a friendly chef who is only too willing to do dishes you really enjoy!
Thoughtful touches include a glass "memory box" outside each room for mementoes to help remind the resident which room is theirs. Each has a hospital-style bed and ensuite wet room.
The key issue - the staff are the selling point- cheerful, no issue too much trouble and the managers etc all muck in on the ground floor. The HCA's and nurses are absolutely wonderful and Admissions Manager was most helpful in making the decision and transition of care as painless as possible. It is excellent value and no hidden fees.

Submit a Review for Great Oaks