Belong Atherton

55 Mealhouse Lane, Atherton, Manchester M46 0EU

Belong Atherton is a vibrant community village on Mealhouse Lane bringing the very latest in care and facilities for older people into the heart of the town.

The village hub is open to the public and includes a popular licensed bistro, hair salon, therapy room and exercise studio.

Belong Atherton offers 26 self-contained apartments for independent living and six supported ‘households’ with modern en-suite bedrooms and open plan lounge and kitchen areas.

Belong households represent a radically different alternative to conventional care homes. They operate with a higher-than-average staffing ratio and a maximum of 12 residents per household, offering a family atmosphere where customers can build lasting relationships with staff and other residents.

To find out more, why not visit and see for yourself? Call on 01942 316556 to arrange a personal tour, or to request a brochure.

Group: Belong Ltd

Person in charge: Julie Washington (General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 73 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Hearing Impairment • Parkinson's Disease • Stroke • Visual Impairment

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Independent Living Training • Sheltered Housing • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Belong Atherton: click here

The Review Score of 9.8 (maximum of 10) for Belong Atherton is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.8 out of 5 from 30 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Belong Atherton in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 5 out of 5 from 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.762 for Belong Atherton is calculated as follows: ( (280 Excellents x 5) + (62 Goods x 4) + (11 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 353 Ratings = 4.762

The 5 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Belong Atherton is based on 16 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 14.6 positive Reviews (73 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 16 Reviews ÷ 14.6 Target Reached = 1

9.8 Belong Atherton has a Review Score of 9.8 (9.762) from 30 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Belong Atherton?

Reviewer Connection to Belong Atherton

The home is very welcoming and all staff are extremely professional and helpful at all times.
The best feature is that both staff and residents have a smile on their face, making the home a happy place to be.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 21 May 2018:

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. Our staff work really hard to ensure a friendly, homely and welcoming environment. It means a great deal to our staff team to know that this is appreciated.

My mum arrived at Belong on Friday 27th April 2018 after being discharged from Preston hospital. Mum suffered from dementia and sadly passed away suddenly on Monday 30th April.

I find it disappointing that no one from Belong sent a message of condolence after my mum's sudden passing. It was a difficult decision to decide for mum to go to Belong and although she seemed reasonably settled during her short stay there were a couple of issues, one being feeding. We took her lunch and fed her because the staff had tried to feed her but she had refused the food so if we hadn’t gone she wouldn’t have eaten. There was also a mix up with the medication she was meant to be taking, luckily a member of staff picked up on this checked it out and the tablets were withdrawn.

I just think a note to either my dad or myself after my mum's passing or even a quick call would have been nice as her sudden death was unexpected and a massive shock which we are still coming to terms with.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Neither Unlikely or Likely

We very much regret that your experience in Belong has fallen short of our expected standards and what we believe to be the norm in Belong. We apologise for any delay in sending our condolences and we are investigating the issues you raise as a priority.

The concept of Belong Atherton is very good.
The care for my mother was excellent and beyond belief.
My only low observation was the lack of organisation with regard to personal clothing.
Most of the clothes I took for my mother were difficult to locate and when I did the condition wasn't very good. This would be the main area where the manager needs to be more involved.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 08 May 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We are happy that your mother's experience of her care at Belong Atherton has been so positive, but of course we are concerned about the issue raised. We are investigating this as a priority to put improvements in place.

My mum was looked after in the Caleb Wright Household at Atherton for the last four years.
Words cannot describe how pleased our family have been with the amazing level of support, care and compassion that she always received.
Mum was very happy and relaxed with her family and friends also feeling very welcomed into being part of her life in a new home and village environment. Many thanks to everyone.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are so touched by your kind words, and will aim to keep our services to such high standards.

Excellent care provided at all times. The staff are extremely knowledgeable but most of all they do really care.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 12 Apr 2018:

Thank you for taking the time to provide such lovely feedback. We are delighted to hear that you are happy with the care and support provided at Belong Atherton and I will ensure your kind words are shared with the staff team.

Our mum has recently passed away on Chanters Household at Belong Village Atherton. The level of care she received in the two years she was a resident on Chanters went above and beyond our expectations. The team looking after her were superb in every way and gave us as a family peace of mind while we went about our daily lives. Mum received palliative care on the household and was treated with love and dignity and we were allowed the privacy to be with her at her passing. I cannot praise Chanters staff highly enough. They became mum's family and our friends.
Thanks to everyone concerned.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 28 Mar 2018:

Please accept our condolences; it was a privilege to care for your mum and we are pleased to know she was happy during her time here. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review, we will ensure your kind words are shared with the staff team at the village.

I am really happy with the care and attention that the home provides for my mum.
her physical state has improved and she has had a healthy weight gain.
The set out of the main room with the food preparation area within and all the bedrooms off it encourage an inclusive atmosphere for all but with privacy, if required in the spacious bedrooms provided.
All in all a great home environment with a good atmosphere.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 20 Mar 2018:

Thank you for your positive feedback on the support provided at Belong Atherton. We are delighted to hear that your mum is settled and happy and trust that your experience will continue to be so positive.

I came into Belong for respite care after breaking my ankle, having an operation and being fitted with a cast. I live on my own and knew wouldn't feel safe during the night when getting up to use the toilet.

I Have had wonderful care, I press my buzzer when needing help and the response is immediate. Nothing is too much trouble. Always greeted with a smile! The food is good and I enjoy going into the bistro when friends visit. A plus is a hairdresser on site.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

My father was admitted to Belong Atherton (I had researched and viewed many care homes but only felt comfortable here). He had been suffering from dementia for some time and had become unable to care for himself and was not an easy resident presenting a number of challenges.

All the staff have dealt with my father with dignity, compassion and a great sense of fun. I have only ever felt complete relief that his care is faultless and my dad is now happy relaxed and safe. A huge thank you to you all. (I don't tick excellent often).

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 15 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your positive feedback on the support provided at Belong Atherton. We do our best to understand every customer and it is a pleasure to have your father living with us. It will mean a great deal to the team to know that your father feels happy and safe; I will ensure your comments are passed on to them.

My husband has been in the above establishment for a period of 11 months at the date hereof. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff on our particular household within Belong. Nothing is too much trouble for them. My husband is very settled and has an excellent rapport with everyone. The facilities are excellent albeit my husband doesn't participate much due to him being a lot younger than most of the residents but uses the gym weekly for his mobility. A home with a twist is the best way to describe belong.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 10 Jan 2018:

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this lovely feedback. Our village staff team make every effort to get to know each of our customers individually and they will be delighted to hear that your husband is settled and happy.

Belong Atherton has provided care for my mother above and beyond their duties. They have also been a help to me when I needed advice about my mother.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 15 Dec 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to provide this lovely feedback. We are delighted to hear that the dedication of our village staff team is making a difference and that we have been able to provide support to both you and your mother.

When mum was taken to Belong Atherton by the family, she was extremely distressed and disorientated, shouting to go home all the time. After her placement on Chanters unit, there was a marked change in her acceptance of being here, this was mainly due mainly to the commitment if the staff in Chanters. The household is friendly, spotless, good food and mostly full of love and fun. I cannot recommend this care home highly enough.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 16 Nov 2017:

Thank you for your positive feedback on the support provided by Belong Atherton. We do our best to understand every customer and it is a pleasure to have your mum living with us.

My relative has stayed in Belong, Atherton for six weeks respite care. She has been so happy with the treatment she has received, the care, food etc. that she has asked to stay in for the rest of her life.
As a visitor, I have experienced very helpful staff, always ready to answer any questions.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 20 Oct 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are delighted that your relative has enjoyed her time at the village so much so that she wishes to stay. Our staff teams work hard to ensure a friendly, homely and welcoming environment. It will mean a great deal to them to know that this is appreciated.

Me and my sisters would like to nominate belong Atherton for the excellent service of care to my mother and to ourselves during our mothers stay.
Staff have been absolutely brilliant, funny and most of all caring. The level of service provided is awesome.
The staff treat all service users with the same amount of equality, inclusion and go to great lengths with their duty of care and safety for all residents.
Keep up the hard, brilliant teamwork!

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Julie Washington, General Manager at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 28 Sep 2017:

We were immensely moved to read your touching review. We're so proud of our staff team and their dedication and they will be really delighted to read this. Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

My husband who has Parkinson's with dementia has been coming to the experience days and Belong for several months now and I can honestly say that I have been extremely impressed with the professional care and consideration showed to him by the staff - especially the experience day support worker who has shown great warmth and understanding towards my husband and his condition. I feel very confident that my husband is in safe hands with him and the other support workers and the fact that my husband looks forward to coming each week is testament to the high quality of care shown.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Tracy Brookes, Marketing Supervisor at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 22 Sep 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are touched by your kind words and are delighted to hear that your husband enjoys attending thee eperience days at the village. It will mean a great deal to the experience days team to read your comments and we will ensure they are shared with everyone.

Belong Village at Atherton is a modern care home with light, airy single bedrooms with en-suite facilities. My sister-in-law has settled into the home straight away, where she was treated with care and dignity by all the staff.

I would not hesitate to recommend this home to anyone looking for care for a friend or family member.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are pleased to hear that your sister-in-law is settle and happy here and we will aim to maintain the high standards to ensure her stay continues to be enjoyable. Thank you again for your feedback which we will ensure is shared with members of the staff teams.

It is a very difficult decision to select a care home where a person other than the client makes the choice. In the short time that my sister has been resident in Atherton I feel that the right choice has been made and I am impressed with the care/support/dignity which she receives.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Likely

We are delighted to hear that Belong Atherton has lived up to expectations and you have confidence in your sister's support. It is a privilege to have her with us.

My dad stayed at Belong for a week whilst my mum came to stay with me for some respite. From the first contact until the last day, I found the staff to be very caring. My dad struggles to communicate having had a stroke 13 years ago. Although I did not visit him, I contacted the home twice and was happy with the information given. When we went to collect him to take him home, he looked very well. Both my mum and myself would be happy for him to stay again. His case was packed and ready for us. My dad seemed to be very happy which is very reassuring for us. Cannot fault the staff. We have arranged another date for him in 2017.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Tracy Brookes, Marketing Supervisor at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We aim to maintain high standards at Belong Atherton; we are delighted this has been your experience. Kind regards.

We first came to Belong Atherton when my mum had to move from a residential home to a care home. We originally had mum at the other care home but were not happy with mums treatment. After looking at several care homes we came to view Belong Atherton and were impressed straight away. The care and help my mum and my family have received from all the staff has been second to none, kind, friendly, caring staff of all ages. I would have no hesitation in recommending Belong Atherton to anyone. We have no hesitation in recommending Belong Atherton to anyone. We are thinking of getting our names down now :) Thanks for all your help and support.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Since my Aunt moved into Pretoria she has received first class care. All staff have shown her care and respect and have gone out of their way to meet her individual needs. All staff have been approachable and have kept me up to date with her care. I placed my Aunt here as my mother has been a resident on the Astley wing for over 5 years and I have been happy with her care. All visitors my family have received have given me positive comments about the home.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 28 Oct 2016:

Thank you so much for this lovely review! We are overjoyed to hear your Aunt is happy with us and enjoying our services. I will make sure your kind words are passed to the village team.

Clear and accurate communication of services and costs. Compassionate care and understanding of feelings of mum and relatives. Friendly, welcoming atmosphere. A culture of approachability and genuine kindness. I observed acts of kindness not relating to mum. A delicate and sympathetic approach and space when needed.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 12 Sep 2016:

Thank you so much for this lovely review! It was a privilege to have your mum staying with us at Belong Atherton and the staff teams will be thrilled with this feedback that she enjoyed her time with us so much.

My 92-year-old aunt became a resident in Belong three weeks ago after nine weeks in the hospital. Being very frail she was unable to go back home to live alone. Classed as being residential/nursing she reluctantly became a resident in the Pretoria Household there. Initially, she found it difficult to settle however with the care of the staff she soon settled in. The kindness, patience and understanding of the staff on Pretoria has been unbelievable. The standard of care and cleanliness is top class. Everything possible is done to try and make the resident feel this is their home. We have watched her settle and become happier here. The best of the best.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Thank you so much for this lovely review! It is a privilege to have your Aunt staying with us at Belong Atherton and the staff teams will be thrilled with this feedback that she is enjoying her time with us so much. We aim to maintain high standards at Belong Atherton; we are so delighted to hear this has been your experience.

My wife needed end of life nursing care. Belong Atherton stood out from the other homes I visited. My reception was friendly and informative and I was able to view a room and see the household atmosphere. Once the place was offered I soon saw how friendly the staff were. It's fair to say that not only was my wife looked after but I felt supported too. I'd be happy to advise any friend how good they are.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We are delighted that you found our care service a valuable way of helping to support your wife as well as yourself. Thanks again for choosing Belong Atherton; it was a pleasure to have your wife with us.

The staff at Belong, both carers and staff are extremely helpful and caring given the diverse residents. Food is excellent.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 17 Aug 2016:

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We aim to maintain high standards at Belong Atherton; we are so delighted to hear this has been your experience.

Very friendly atmosphere. Airy and well furnished. Staff are welcoming and show interest in every individual. Their care giving is very good.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 04 Aug 2016:

Thank you for your positive feedback on the care and environment provided at Belong Atherton. We do our best to understand every customer and improve their well being.

My dad is in Astley Household. The staff are very caring and treat each patient as an individual. They act immediately on any issues and phone me if there are any problems. Health issues are taken seriously and acted upon when necessary. Very pleased with the household.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 02 Aug 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with the service provided.

I visit Belong everyday and the staff are really friendly and always provide me with help when I need it, which is great because I am not part of their establishment.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 01 Aug 2016:

My 92 year old mum has Alzheimer's. Six months ago we moved her from a care home where she had been for eighteen months. It was a big step to take but the decision to do so was easy as we had been very unhappy with mum's care. Now when any of us visit mum our stomachs no longer churn as we approach the home. We no longer dread what we will find or waste precious time sorting out problems to do with mum's care. She will never be happy due to the nature of her illness but we know that she is safe and well cared for and that makes all the difference. We are welcomed and put at ease. Mum has a lovely room where we can now enjoy spending time with her. The home is run efficiently and professionally and with understanding and compassion. We highly recommend Belong as a provider of care.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Becki Prince, Customer Support and Marketing Administrator at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 17 May 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with the service you received.

My mother has been a resident at Belong Village (Atherton) since January of this year after she was discharged from hospital following a series of falls. We had looked at perhaps a dozen nursing homes prior to this, with Belong being the first and by far the very best. All others were judged on their standards and fell short. The open plan lounge and kitchen gives an open, warm and friendly feel which bustles with activities, much like a persons home. The bedrooms are a good size, each with their own en suite bathroom. The sunlight streams through the window. The standard of care and attention is excellent. The carers and nurses go above and beyond to provide loving care, which is second only to that of the family - even better in many cases.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

My mum has been a resident of Belong for three and a half years, and nature of her condition has deteriorated during her stay. The home and the staff have been extremely proactive in adapting to her changing needs. I live over 100 miles away from Atherton, and visit my mum weekly, but the peace of mind that I have in knowing I can speak to someone 24 hours a day is also very reassuring. Even though my mum is no longer mobile she still partakes in lots of activities both on site and off, with a recent theatre trip to Manchester and another one planned are real highlights and provide a genuine boost.

How likely would you be to recommend Belong Atherton? Extremely Likely

Tracy Brookes, Marketing Supervisor at Belong Atherton responded to this review on 25 Apr 2016:

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Belong Atherton. We are pleased to hear that you are happy with the support you/your relative receives. Kind regards.

Submit a Review for Belong Atherton

Care Home Provider Award

Recipient: Belong Ltd

Date: Wednesday 13 Mar 2013

July 2011

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Belong Atherton