Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home

Ypres Road, Colchester CO2 7NL

Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home, Colchester, Essex

Equipped with the most innovative nursing facilities available today, this new purpose-built home has already been hailed as a flagship dementia service for Essex.

Foxburrow Grange occupies over 3,500m2 ft and has bedrooms all with high ceilings and large windows. Each bedroom has an en-suite shower room and measures a generous 20m2. This plus thoughtful interior design, creates a calm and peaceful atmosphere.

On the ground floor there are 30 bedrooms for residents with dementia and all are fitted with the latest Dementia Safe system. Each room has its own terrace which opens on to secure gardens.

On the first floor there are bedrooms for nursing home residents. There are two winter gardens and a large terrace which give them access to sunlight year round.

What they say about Foxburrow Grange:

“It's good to see care homes like Foxburrow Grange setting such a high standard of care for people with dementia. I'm also delighted to see the way in which Foxburrow is placing itself at the centre of the community, involving schools and local social groups, and creating its own dementia friendly community.” Angela Rippon OBE.

The Community Hub at Foxburrow Grange welcomes friends, residents’ families, schools, the church and voluntary organisations to drop in and say 'hello'.

There's free Wifi and daily newspapers for residents and visitors to enjoy. The hub is not just a vibrant focal point for meeting and greeting, sessions can be booked in the activity, therapy and sensory rooms, mini gym and beauty salon.

The Abbey Field Medical Centre is just across the road and the GPs make regular weekly visits to Foxburrow Grange to oversee patient care.

Foxburrow Grange is a Dementia Friends and Dementia Champion hub for the local Colchester community.

Group: Outlook Care

Person in charge: Becky Pinnock (Home Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 66 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Specialist Care Categories: Alzheimer's • Parkinson's Disease

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Convalescent Care • Independent Living Training • Separate Dementia Care Unit • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Pets by arrangement • Smoking not permitted • Close to Local shops • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home: click here

9.1 Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home has a Review Score of 9.1 (9.106)

The Review Score of 9.1 (maximum of 10) for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 11 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.4 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.727 for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (99 Excellents x 5) + (30 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 132 Ratings = 4.727

The 4.379 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.2 positive Reviews (66 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 13.2 Target = 0.379

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home

• Brother-in-law of Resident/Service User

My sister-in-law has been a resident at Foxburrow Grange for 10 months now and we continue to be impressed with the very high level of care she receives together with the quality of the food and accommodation. Having visited many other homes in the area this was by far our top choice. Recently staff, on their day off, took my sister-in-law out for lunch in her wheelchair. We have been trying so hard to get her to do this as it was something she so enjoyed. We have taken her out since and are doing so again this week for her birthday, joined by friends.

She has become far more talkative, outward going, responsive and in a far better frame of mind as a result of this act of care and kindness.

The home is benefiting from a new forward-thinking manager and we have been very encouraged already by the way she is taking things forward.

My wife and I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending Foxburrow Grange.

How likely would you be to recommend Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rana Kolivand, Customer Services Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 27 Sep 2017:

Thank you so very much for your comments. Our staff are vital to the success of the home and our resident's well-being is paramount. Comments like this make such a difference and we will do all we can to ensure that increasing the quality of life for all that reside at Foxburrow Grange is at the centre of all we do. Thank you

Today I visited with my care dog Charlie and the summer Fete was taking place.
We spent a lovely afternoon with what I call "Foxburrow Community". Ages range from 18 months old to 93 years.
A wonderful afternoon with residents/staff/families and the Foxburrow Family.

Rana Kolivand, Customer Services Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 14 Aug 2017:

Thank you for your comments. Our residents love it when Charlie visits and we thank you for bringing him to us and for your support at our events.

Ever since I walked into Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home I have been impressed by the ambience of the home and the helpfulness, courtesy & friendliness of everyone one from senior management through to housekeeping staff.

I feel that I am fully supported and am able to participate in my husband's care as much as I wish whilst having the back-up of professionals at all times.

The resident's rooms are spacious and all have their own private facilities. As well as dining & lounge areas in each unit there are several quiet areas throughout the home where friends & relatives can sit with their loved ones. There is also pleasant accessible outside space and, for those able to be taken out, the beautiful area of Abbey Fields nearby.

Activities are many and varied from 'pat' dogs & jazz afternoons to coffee clubs & sing-a-longs and everyone is encouraged and helped to join in if they wish.

I truly believe that Foxburrow Grange provides my husband with the safety, security and care that he needs.

Rana Kolivand, Customer Services Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 24 Apr 2017:

Thank you so very much for your comments. We really value all feedback that we receive. We will always strive to do the best for those that we support as it is something that we are passionate about. Your comments will be shared with staff and we cannot thank you enough for taking the time to let us know what you think

Cannot fault this care home at all, staff are brilliant often in very challenging circumstances, always kind, compassionate and welcoming, they have gone out of their way to make my family feel at ease and made special events such as Christmas, Valentines Day and my parents anniversary memorable occasions. The home itself is clean, light and well decorated with lots of areas to explore to keep things interesting for my Dad including a lovely outdoor space. Food is great too and there are often special events organised such as tea dances to provide variety and light relief, I especially like the coffee shop area where we can sit and relax and almost imagine we are in a real coffee shop with my Dad. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to others. Thank you to everyone at Squirrel x

Rana Kolivand, Customer Services Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 10 Apr 2017:

Thank you very much for your review of our home! We are very proud of what we do here and are always looking at ways to make things better so your comments are so very important. We will continue the good work that we do and are always willing to try new and exciting activities to keep everyone happy and entertained. Thank you.

My lovely uncle has been at Foxburrow Grange for the last few months and our family are SO pleased with the standard of care he receives. Prior to his move to Foxburrow Grange, he was in a hospital ward situation for 9 months and it was very depressing for us to see him in an environment that was not fully able to meet his needs. Now he is happy and contented, and so very well cared for that we could not ask for more. He has a lovely room with all his photos displayed and lovely homely touches like his blanket on the bed etc. The staff on Squirrel are just fantastic, caring and kind, just the sort of people you want to look after someone you love when their needs outweigh the care you can give at home. There is always something planned to entertain residents and the staff are genuinely interested in helping residents have a good quality of life . Moving to Foxburrow Grange has been the best thing to happen to my uncle and I would not hesitate to recommend this care home .

Carol Preston, Head of Dementia at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 08 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your kind words, it is an absolute pleasure to care for your uncle.

I was extremely pleased with the care my mum received whilst staying at Foxburrow Grange. I have booked her in for another stay in August.
The staff are all very helpful and pleasant, the home is lovely, airy, light and the facilities are extremely good.
I would have no hesitation in recommending to someone else.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jul 2016:

Thank you very much for your comments. Our staff work very hard to ensure all residents are happy and comfortable. Your compliments will be shared with the team and we look forward to seeing you again.

I cared for my wife for 3 1/2 years at home until May 2015. I had to make the hardest decision I have ever had to make at that time and let my wife of 22 years be cared for in a care home environment and not by her family anymore
We viewed one care home and once we had entered I had the feeling that this was going to be our new home it was welcoming.
Four weeks later it was our home and after a lot of soul searching even to this day now it was the best decision I made as my wife is getting 24/7 care that I could not have provided in our own home and that's all I wanted to do.
The staff are very professional and helpful keeping us informed of my wife's health .
In hindsight I have made the right choice as it was difficult to try and be strong for my wife and children and to carry on working and keep healthy.
These are just some of my thoughts as there is not enough room for me to carry on writing what I want to say.
Thank you for taking the time to read my page.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 11 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your kind words regarding the care your wife is receiving. We are honoured to have been chosen to look after your wife and it is very comforting to know that you and your family are happy with this decision.

I think Foxburrow Grange is an excellent care and nursing home. I am very grateful that my dad is able to have the standard of care and attention that should occur in every care/nursing home in the country. Foxburrow is a bespoke facility (and it Shows) there are lovely spaces in Foxburrow, large rooms for residents and it has been well thought out. My only criticism and this is a comment on all care homes is the weekly charge of £900 (by no means unusual) is too much and no local authority or family should have to pay this amount.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your positive comments. Care Fees are based on the individual assessed needs of the resident and also choice of room, therefore fees can vary for individual residents. Our fees are in line with other Care Providers in Colchester

My father was a resident at Foxburrow Grange for 15 months. From the time he arrived he was shown much care, compassion, respect and dignity. He was moved from a previous home, in which he never left his room to visit the lounge or dining room.
Within a few days of being at Foxburrow, he ate all his meals in the dining room and would be found in the lounge most days. The carers were wonderful to us and had time to talk about any concerns we had when he became very ill.
I wanted him to stay at Foxburrow for his last few days. The staff were amazing, they took great care of him and stayed with him when I was not able to, which was a great comfort to us all.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 25 May 2016:

We feel very privileged that we were able to look after your father. It was our absolute pleasure to be able to play a part in the last 15 months.

MY mother was the very first person in Foxburrow, when it opened in 2013. I feel the care she receives, is second to none. Her room is like a 5* hotel. Always beautifully clean, as is all the rest of the building.
All the staff are so lovely with her and she continually beams and smiles back at them. From the moment you walk into Foxburrow you are always welcomed by brilliant reception staff.
The laundry, catering, entertainment, maintenance, gardening and administration teams are all great. You cannot ask for more as it's a very demanding and at times frustrating job. I know as we looked after my mother for eight years prior to Foxburrow.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 10 May 2016:

Thank you for your comments. We will always strive to offer the best service that we can for both our residents and their families.

On the occasion of our Diamond Wedding Anniversary, the staff on 'Badges Unit' were absolutely great, they had decorated my husbands room with our wedding day photographs, cards, flowers and congratulations. Cheers rang out as my daughter, son and I arrived that morning. A lovely surprise. Management and kitchen staff laid on an unbelievable buffet and the heart shaped cake so beautifully decorated topped the day. Only had to provide the champagne to make it a really lovely day. Can't thank you all enough.

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your 60th Wedding Anniversary and allowed us to celebrate your special day with you.

Submit a Review for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home

Anne

Anne Cooper

Job Title: Director of Operations and Business Development

Joined: 2014

RNLD, DMS

I qualified as a Learning Disability Nurse in 1978 and have worked in health, private and voluntary sectors.

My experience is varied and includes quality management, closure of long stay hospitals and community resettlement, management of nursing, residential, supported living and developing services for people with complex needs including behaviours that challenge, older people nursing and dementia.

I started at Outlook Care in 2004. I have responsibility for our operational services and is the strategic lead for safeguarding, quality and compliance and the development of new business.

I was involved from the very beginning in the development of Foxburrow Grange. The home and its residents remain very close to my heart and I visit regularly.

Ensuring people we support remain at the centre of all decision making is central to how we design and deliver services.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home