Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home

Ypres Road, Colchester CO2 7NL

Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home, Colchester, Essex

Equipped with the most innovative nursing facilities available today, this new purpose-built home has already been hailed as a flagship dementia service for Essex.

Foxburrow Grange occupies over 3,500m2 ft and has bedrooms all with high ceilings and large windows. Each bedroom has an en-suite shower room and measures a generous 20m2. This plus thoughtful interior design, creates a calm and peaceful atmosphere.

On the ground floor there are 30 bedrooms for residents with dementia and all are fitted with the latest Dementia Safe system. Each room has its own terrace which opens on to secure gardens.

On the first floor there are bedrooms for nursing home residents. There are two winter gardens and a large terrace which give them access to sunlight year round.

What they say about Foxburrow Grange:

“It's good to see care homes like Foxburrow Grange setting such a high standard of care for people with dementia. I'm also delighted to see the way in which Foxburrow is placing itself at the centre of the community, involving schools and local social groups, and creating its own dementia friendly community.” Angela Rippon OBE.

The Community Hub at Foxburrow Grange welcomes friends, residents’ families, schools, the church and voluntary organisations to drop in and say 'hello'.

There's free Wifi and daily newspapers for residents and visitors to enjoy. The hub is not just a vibrant focal point for meeting and greeting, sessions can be booked in the activity, therapy and sensory rooms, mini gym and beauty salon.

The Abbey Field Medical Centre is just across the road and the GPs make regular weekly visits to Foxburrow Grange to oversee patient care.

Foxburrow Grange is a Dementia Friends and Dementia Champion hub for the local Colchester community.

Group: Outlook Care

Person in charge: Carol Preston (Head of Dementia and General Manager)

Local Authority / Social Services: Essex County Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Voluntary / Not for Profit Owned , Registered for a maximum of 66 Service Users

Registered Care Categories*: Dementia • Mental Health Condition • Old Age • Physical Disability • Sensory Impairment • Younger Adults

Facilities & Services: Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Independent Living Training • Lift • Stairlift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Bar/Cafe on premises • Residents Kitchenette • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room • Residents Internet Access

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home: click here

9.2 Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.197)

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.7 out of 5 from 7 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.5 out of 5 from 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.667 for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (59 Excellents x 5) + (22 Goods x 4) + (3 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 84 Ratings = 4.667

The 4.53 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home is based on 7 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 13.2 positive Reviews (66 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 7 Reviews ÷ 13.2 Target = 0.530

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home

My lovely uncle has been at Foxburrow Grange for the last few months and our family are SO pleased with the standard of care he receives. Prior to his move to Foxburrow Grange, he was in a hospital ward situation for 9 months and it was very depressing for us to see him in an environment that was not fully able to meet his needs. Now he is happy and contented, and so very well cared for that we could not ask for more. He has a lovely room with all his photos displayed and lovely homely touches like his blanket on the bed etc. The staff on Squirrel are just fantastic, caring and kind, just the sort of people you want to look after someone you love when their needs outweigh the care you can give at home. There is always something planned to entertain residents and the staff are genuinely interested in helping residents have a good quality of life . Moving to Foxburrow Grange has been the best thing to happen to my uncle and I would not hesitate to recommend this care home .

How likely would you be to recommend Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home? Extremely Likely

Carol Preston, Head of Dementia at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 08 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your kind words, it is an absolute pleasure to care for your uncle.

I was extremely pleased with the care my mum received whilst staying at Foxburrow Grange. I have booked her in for another stay in August.
The staff are all very helpful and pleasant, the home is lovely, airy, light and the facilities are extremely good.
I would have no hesitation in recommending to someone else.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jul 2016:

Thank you very much for your comments. Our staff work very hard to ensure all residents are happy and comfortable. Your compliments will be shared with the team and we look forward to seeing you again.

I cared for my wife for 3 1/2 years at home until May 2015. I had to make the hardest decision I have ever had to make at that time and let my wife of 22 years be cared for in a care home environment and not by her family anymore
We viewed one care home and once we had entered I had the feeling that this was going to be our new home it was welcoming.
Four weeks later it was our home and after a lot of soul searching even to this day now it was the best decision I made as my wife is getting 24/7 care that I could not have provided in our own home and that's all I wanted to do.
The staff are very professional and helpful keeping us informed of my wife's health .
In hindsight I have made the right choice as it was difficult to try and be strong for my wife and children and to carry on working and keep healthy.
These are just some of my thoughts as there is not enough room for me to carry on writing what I want to say.
Thank you for taking the time to read my page.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 11 Jul 2016:

Thank you for your kind words regarding the care your wife is receiving. We are honoured to have been chosen to look after your wife and it is very comforting to know that you and your family are happy with this decision.

I think Foxburrow Grange is an excellent care and nursing home. I am very grateful that my dad is able to have the standard of care and attention that should occur in every care/nursing home in the country. Foxburrow is a bespoke facility (and it Shows) there are lovely spaces in Foxburrow, large rooms for residents and it has been well thought out. My only criticism and this is a comment on all care homes is the weekly charge of £900 (by no means unusual) is too much and no local authority or family should have to pay this amount.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your positive comments. Care Fees are based on the individual assessed needs of the resident and also choice of room, therefore fees can vary for individual residents. Our fees are in line with other Care Providers in Colchester

My father was a resident at Foxburrow Grange for 15 months. From the time he arrived he was shown much care, compassion, respect and dignity. He was moved from a previous home, in which he never left his room to visit the lounge or dining room.
Within a few days of being at Foxburrow, he ate all his meals in the dining room and would be found in the lounge most days. The carers were wonderful to us and had time to talk about any concerns we had when he became very ill.
I wanted him to stay at Foxburrow for his last few days. The staff were amazing, they took great care of him and stayed with him when I was not able to, which was a great comfort to us all.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 25 May 2016:

We feel very privileged that we were able to look after your father. It was our absolute pleasure to be able to play a part in the last 15 months.

MY mother was the very first person in Foxburrow, when it opened in 2013. I feel the care she receives, is second to none. Her room is like a 5* hotel. Always beautifully clean, as is all the rest of the building.
All the staff are so lovely with her and she continually beams and smiles back at them. From the moment you walk into Foxburrow you are always welcomed by brilliant reception staff.
The laundry, catering, entertainment, maintenance, gardening and administration teams are all great. You cannot ask for more as it's a very demanding and at times frustrating job. I know as we looked after my mother for eight years prior to Foxburrow.

Rana Kolivand, Admin Manager at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home responded to this review on 10 May 2016:

Thank you for your comments. We will always strive to offer the best service that we can for both our residents and their families.

On the occasion of our Diamond Wedding Anniversary, the staff on 'Badges Unit' were absolutely great, they had decorated my husbands room with our wedding day photographs, cards, flowers and congratulations. Cheers rang out as my daughter, son and I arrived that morning. A lovely surprise. Management and kitchen staff laid on an unbelievable buffet and the heart shaped cake so beautifully decorated topped the day. Only had to provide the champagne to make it a really lovely day. Can't thank you all enough.

Thank you for your review, we are glad that you enjoyed your 60th Wedding Anniversary and allowed us to celebrate your special day with you.

Submit a Review for Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home

Please avoid using names and enter a minimum of 200 and maximum of 1,000 characters - Currently 0 characters.

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at Foxburrow Grange Nursing and Dementia Care Home