The Donnington Care Home

Wantage Road, Donnington, Newbury RG14 3BE

The Donnington, in Newbury, focuses on round-the-clock support for a wide range of needs. Care provision includes nursing care, convalescence and respite, as well as palliative care support and help for adults with Parkinson’s.

With scenic countryside surroundings, this converted red brick Victorian house offers comfortable social environments, light and airy lounges, en-suite bedrooms and on-site therapies.

The chef works hard to achieve a menu that pleases each resident, with all food home-cooked and nutritionally balanced.

Many activities and fulfilling pastimes are enjoyed within the house, including art classes and musical recitals, with summer fetes and other annual events adding further to home life.

Local Authority / Social Services: West Berkshire Council (click for contact details)

Type of Service: Care Home with nursing – Privately Owned , Registered for a maximum of 40 Service Users

Specialist Care Categories: Parkinson's Disease • Stroke

Facilities & Services: Palliative Care • Day Care • Respite Care • Convalescent Care • Physiotherapy • Own GP if required • Own Furniture if required • Near Public Transport • Minibus or other transport • Lift • Wheelchair access • Gardens for residents • Phone Point in own room/Mobile • Television point in own room

Latest Care Quality Commission* Report on The Donnington Care Home: click here

The Review Score of 9.2 (maximum of 10) for The Donnington Care Home is based on a) the Average Rating and b) the number of positive Reviews.

• a) The Average Rating is 4.6 out of 5 from 19 Reviews over all time. This Average Rating is also the rating value for The Donnington Care Home in Google's Search Results - more info

• b) The score for the number of positive Reviews is 4.6 out of 5 from 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months.

The Average Rating of 4.599 for The Donnington Care Home is calculated as follows: ( (149 Excellents x 5) + (65 Goods x 4) + (13 Satisfactorys x 3) ) ÷ 227 Ratings = 4.599

The 4.625 Points relating to the number of positive Reviews for The Donnington Care Home is based on 5 positive Reviews in the last 12 months and is calculated as follows:

2. Target of 8 positive Reviews (40 registered maximum number of service users ÷ 5). 5 Reviews ÷ 8 Target = 0.625

9.2 The Donnington Care Home has a Review Score of 9.2 (9.224) from 19 Reviews

• Good

How Likely are the Reviewers to Recommend The Donnington Care Home?

Reviewer Connection to The Donnington Care Home

• Brother-in-law of Resident/Service User

Despite the loss of a manager and secretary/bursar through appointments elsewhere, the home and staff (especially the deputy manager) have coped in an excellent manner to keep the home running smoothly. The staff have continued to work ceaselessly to continue their high standard of care and they are almost fully staffed at the senior level.

If I could, I would book myself in now, for my future needs.

Highly recommended to several neighbours and friends.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 27 Apr 2018:

I feel assured knowing my sister is well cared for in a kind and loving environment. Thank you

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words. It is lovely to hear that your sister is well cared for and loved in our care.

Confident and secure in the knowledge of my aunt's needs are met with nothing too much trouble for the staff and management. I am able to sleep at night knowing she is safe and loved as if a family member in this wonderful and quite special home. Happy to be able to drop in anytime to see the consistent and empathetic care and to know and experience.
The welcome and inclusion of the family to visit, join for meals be kept informed of all relevant matters superb.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrtor at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 29 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review and kind words. I'm so glad to hear that you and your family have peace of mind knowing that your aunt is well cared for and safe in our care.

My nan was sent to The Donnington from hospital in Nov 17. She had a lovely room and needed caring people as she is 92 years old. The place is warm and inviting and the staff were amazing. I brought my children to have lunch and everyone was so lovely and friendly. Thank you to all staff from the family.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer services administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2018:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager.

The staff at Donnington have been brilliant with my dad. It helps to have the manager there who helps us to understand Parkinson's. He seems really happy.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 04 Jul 2017:

Thank you for your review. So glad that you can have peace of mind knowing that your dad is been cared for and that he is settled and happy.

My mother was in hospital towards the end of 2016 and was sent back to the home hoist only and catheterised, she wouldn't eat or drink.
If it hadn't been for the outstanding care of the carers/nurses/staff and them persevering to get her to drink and eat I am quite sure we would have lost her.
They continue to astound me with their caring ways and I know she is in good hands and safe.
If I get half the quality of care that mum's had I shall die a happy man.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jamie Barrett, National Development Manager at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 24 Mar 2017:

The staff are so kind and warm and fully understand my aunt. They recognise her individuality, her moods from wanting warmth and touch, to being on her own and solitary. They provide total respect and genuine care for her. I am comfortable knowing she is safe and secure.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 15 Mar 2017:

Heading up to Christmas, there were daily activities with various groups coming in to entertain the residents by either singing or playing instruments. There was a great deal of preparation for Christmas in decorating the communal rooms and corridors quite wonderfully. Each resident had a decoration and Christmas stocking on their door. The staff were equally cheerful and excited and often dressed in festive clothes. All in all, the home was so welcoming and such a happy atmosphere. It was my husband's first Christmas there.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer servicies administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 08 Feb 2017:

I visited my relative at BUPA Donnington. The home was very festive, warm and welcoming. The staff are helpful and caring.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 12 Jan 2017:

I find the home has a very warm and friendly atmosphere. My father is happy and well cared for. After living on his own for thirteen years he now has company every day. All members of staff are pleasant and helpful.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Servicies Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 14 Dec 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments about our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

This home is very welcoming to residents and visitors. The staff are friendly and treat everyone the same.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Emily Wilson, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 19 Dec 2016:

The home manager and her team have been most supportive to my mother and responded actively and positively to her needs. In addition, they have supported the family well, keeping us aware of all developments.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Jayne Duck, Customer Services Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 02 Dec 2016:

Mt brother moved here in March 2016. Since then he has had excellent care. The staff are empathetic, compassionate and caring. They look after him with the dignity he deserves and they hope to get some more specialists in to help in specific needs/detail, such as dietary/nutrition and movement. They are open/honest when we discuss his conditions and needs and are very supportive.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 30 Jun 2016:

My father was cared for at The Donnington for several weeks. He received excellent care and attention. He had a lovely room which was bright and homely. All his carers were dedicated and treated him with the utmost respect. Our family were always made welcome. He unfortunately passed away aged 95 but his passing was gentle and sensitively handled. I was supported throughout and cannot fault anyone. I would recommend The Donnington without any reservation.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 24 Jun 2016:

My mum is very well cared for. The staff are very friendly and treat my Mum with care & dignity. As I am there quite often 2/3 times a week, I see a lot of what goes on. There have been times when a carer has talked to my Mum without knowing I was there and I am pleased to see their treatment of my Mum was the same, so no act for my benefit.

The rooms in the 'Old part' of the building are a bit tired, but clean and suffer a bit because this part of building was not designed as care home.

My Mum enjoys the food served.

They have a Resident of the Day which I think is a proactive way of ensuring I am happy with the service and my Mum is happy.

Activities would have been Excellent if there had been more for them at weekends.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 14 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate your comments of our home and will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother recently passed away and I/we would like to thank all the staff from the bottom of our hearts, for the loving care and dignity given to her throughout her stay. It has given us all great comfort to see how well she has been looked after. We especially wish to thank the nursing and care staff who have tended to her during her last illness and shown such care and respect for her feelings and dignity. Thank you all for your kindness and respect to the whole family at this time.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rose Pickering, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 01 Jun 2016:

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry for your loss, please accept our condolences. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience with the care at the home and appreciate your comments of our home. We will share your comments with the home’s manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

On the whole I have found the care more than satisfactory. My mothers mobility was not good on admittance and she needed 2 carers to help her, she is now in bed full time, this is due to not eating which has been steadily getting worse for a year. She is now having palliative care and I have found the carers treating her carefully and with compassion for the most part.

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Rachel Elliott, Customer Service Administrator at The Donnington Care Home responded to this review on 22 Mar 2016:

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience and appreciate you views of our home and will share your comments with the home manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

Its a lovely home which feels like a community. The staff are caring and committed and try to tailor care and activities to the needs /interests of the resident. The activities co-ordinator is particularly good and the regular staff have a good rapport with residents. Visitors are also usually very friendly and get to know residents who have been there a while. The rooms are quite small but adequate. The management team have worked to make a number of improvement during the time my mother has been resident and there are regular relatives meetings. Staff are friendly and keen to help .

How likely would you be to recommend The Donnington Care Home? Extremely Likely

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear about your positive experience of our home and will share your comments with the home manager. The Bupa Customer Care Team.

My mother has dementia and is incredibly independent and really has no idea of her illness. The staff here are absolutely wonderful. They make every allowance for her determination to be independent while encouraging her to join in activities. She is now eating well, having her medication regularly and has not fallen since she has been in care.

Submit a Review for The Donnington Care Home

Recipient: Bupa Care Homes

There are currently no Care Home Idol entrants who have performed at The Donnington Care Home